Naturally petite ballerina, can't lose extra weight...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Yayjay - this post is so refreshing, and so elegantly put. If anybody were to tear down an overweight person for choosing to eat a burger instead of a piece of fruit, they would be hung up by a string.

Thin-shaming irks me to no end, and 99% of the time, it's just done out of sheer envy. Makes my blood boil.
  • sarahmichelle876
    Options
    Well I think you're beautiful, and agree with upping protein and adding in weights and Pilates.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Yayjay - this post is so refreshing, and so elegantly put. If anybody were to tear down an overweight person for choosing to eat a burger instead of a piece of fruit, they would be hung up by a string.

Thin-shaming irks me to no end, and 99% of the time, it's just done out of sheer envy. Makes my blood boil.

I concur. The body hate around here has been awful. There have been threads about women with noticeably large muscles that got the same treatment. And now this one. One of the most egregious in turning those good threads bad has on her profile that she's been fat and depressed all her life and got rid of all her friends on here because their success makes her jealous. And these are the people who highjack threads in anti women with muscles and anti slim women crusades. On a fitness site. I don't understand why it is condoned or let be by nods for days on end.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    In defense of those saying this young lady is underweight...

This site is, rightfully I think, about fitness and health and not just about weight loss. When most of us see someone of the OP's description, we think "wow, beautiful, fit, needs no weight loss to be sure." When someone of that description asks about weight loss, the first things we think is that she has a distorted and potentially unhealthy view of herself. People become concerned. Since many of us are not exactly born diplomats, the responses can look like they are not born of concern.
    We fail to take in to account that the OP is engaged in a very demanding athletic pursuit with very specific body composition requirements.

Everything I've seen on this site tells me that the vast majority of members are about good things for their fellow members. Some may express themselves gently while others tend to lob in snark bombs to make their points, but few are likely motivated by anything other then genuine concern.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

This site is, rightfully I think, about fitness and health and not just about weight loss. When most of us see someone of the OP's description, we think "wow, beautiful, fit, needs no weight loss to be sure." When someone of that description asks about weight loss, the first things we think is that she has a distorted and potentially unhealthy view of herself. People become concerned. Since many of us are not exactly born diplomats, the responses can look like they are not born of concern.
    We fail to take in to account that the OP is engaged in a very demanding athletic pursuit with very specific body composition requirements.

Everything I've seen on this site tells me that the vast majority of members are about good things for their fellow members. Some may express themselves gently while others tend to lob in snark bombs to make their points, but few are likely motivated by anything other then genuine concern.
    And the ones who have come here because they have weight to lose don't? :indifferent: :ohwell:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

And the ones who have come here because they have weight to lose don't? :indifferent: :ohwell:

Not sure how your point is relevant to my defense of people's motivation.
    From what I've seen, most people that come here to lose weight have weight to lose. No doubt some have a distorted self-image.
  • yayjay
    yayjay Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    hey stevemphotog

I in no way invalidate that there is genuine concern from the community for this girl. I did myself recommend that she talk to a nutritionist because in my opinion losing weight would not be a healthy option for her considering the demand she has on her body. however I do not know enough about her to make that decision, and as her lifestyle has a hard work ethic I believe anyone in that position should get expert advice.

however there is a way to say things, and my point is, why because she is skinny is it ok to be rude or ignorant.

Comments have been that shes stupid, deluded, needs a psycho therapist. And I wish that out of the number of negative comments that these were a minority, but they weren't were they? there was a lot.

Hypothetically (and im not saying this is the case at all) if this girl had an eating disorder or low self esteem and genuinely does need help.

Do you think shes going to respond better to;
    A. "You need Psycho therapy and a pizza"
    B. "You're disgusting, you shouldn't be able to see your collar bone, that's just wrong."
    C. "I think that weight loss with your work demand would not help, instead try toning and adding protein to your diet."
    D. "Because your work load is so high and its career based I would recommend a nutritionist so you are making healthy habits."

There a mix of answers she got. I did put positive answers in because she did get some good advice. When I say good I don't mean that I necessarily agree, I just mean advice but in a way that wouldn't demean her, and she would be therefore more likely to take it.

While I do agree with you that most people here are just concerned, I still think that this girl has asked for help, and has had an unusually high amount of unnecessarily nasty comments, that would not been put up with had she been on overweight person asking a naive question.

It would be very hard for me to believe that those who wrote nasty comments wrote them out of concern, but at the same time I also think they probably haven't spend more than a second thinking about it. I drew a parallel to "what if an overweight person posted and was met with the same responses", because I wanted people to think why is it ok to talk down to her when she happens to be skinny.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I would focus on toning and working with what you already have. You don't need to lose weight, simply tone what you have and your healthy diet and exercise will do the rest.

This times a million.

Sorry about the meanies on here. I'd just focus on ^^^ and ignore all the hate.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Some very thoughtful and compassionate responses here. I think there are double standards: it is considered very politically incorrect to make any fat comments, yet it seems OK to say things like 'you are so skinny ugh!'

I am actually a medical doctor and I do sometimes find it very challenging here on MFP. There is definitely a proportion of members who have an eating disorder and, in my opinion, should NOT be encouraged to diet or even exercise extensively. It is not about being rude: what may look like good advice may actually cost someone's health and, in very extreme cases, even life. And I wish more people realised that when they give advice, it does come with some responsibility. I don't think people with eating disorders should be taunted or judged, quite the opposite, they should be encouraged to get appropriate support in a gentle and compassionate manner.

I don't know what is the real situation with OP here. It is clear that one of the reasons she is asking the questions is that in her industry a very slim figure is a prerequisite. Whether that in itself is right or wrong, healthy or unhealthy is a different matter altogether and probably outside the grasp of this forum. To me it seems that given the context her approach is unusually healthy. Doing an MFP is definitely much much healthier than the straightforward starving that is not uncommon in dancers as well as professional gymnasts, models and such like which we ALL for some reason expect to be on the skinny side. I invite us all to reflect upon our own hypocrisy: I strongly suspect that many of the people who are taunting the OP here would be fiercely judgmental if they went to see Swan Lake and Odette/Odile was on the chubby side :-)

PS I really appreciate it that some posters reminded us that we are on the My FITNESS Pal, not My WEIGHT LOSS Pal. I have very little weight to lose, but a lot of fitness to (re)gain and just 50 days of MFPing has completely changed my life around :flowerforyou:
  • squeezetheday
    squeezetheday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories, especially your protein intake.