Replies

• make_meup
    make_meup Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Pita chips
  • xoTalim
    xoTalim Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A while back my mom came home from Costco with a bag of Baked Lentil chips. I was a bit skeptical at first but I tried them and they're super good. There was a bit too much salt/flavouring in the bag though so you could just shake some out of the bag or shake it off the chips but other than that they're super delicious and really healthy.

The brand name was Mediterrenean Snacks, if anyone's wondering. But I'm sure you can find these kinds of chips from other brands, too.

They're high in fiber and low in prettty much everything else. With only a little bit of sodium, fat, and carbs, they're a really healthy snack when you're craving something salty.

Good luck!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much make 'chips' out of any vegetable! Parsnip, radishes, turnip, asparagus, butternut squash, zucchini, sweet potato, brussel sprouts, peppers, eggplant, Sweet Potato Fries, kale, broccoli, beets, carrots, etc

The trick is slicing them very thin and then you can bake them. I use beer batter sometimes but there are all kinds of toppings to give you the saltiness you crave..

Fried Pickles (SO GOOD!)
    Crispy Apple Chips (SO GOOD) - you can find the recipe online

You can find the recipes online. :)
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    special k multi-grain crackers! 130 calories for 24!
  • dumptruckermama
    Options
    I eat the Mission Tortilla Chips (either the rounds or the strips), but I only eat the serving size of 1 ounce... You get about 10-12 chips and that satisfies my salsa/chip issue..... :)
    I also like the World Gormet Veggie Straws with my sandwiches - I am currently doing Weight Watchers and you get the serving (38 straws) for 3 points plus and with 130 calories, they don't break your bank.
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, Wegmans grocery store has yummy Soy Chips that come in BBQ, Ranch, White Cheddar, Sea Salt, and Apple Cinnamon. They are crunchy and delicious, and 20 of them is 110 calories. That's what I go for.
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like pop chips, or I make my own apple chips
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    sliced cucumbers? They have a nice crunch
  • aneciarobinson
    aneciarobinson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat Food Should Taste Good Multigrain chips or Mary's Gone Crackers. Both are better for you than regular chips and satisfy my salty/crunchy craving. They go great with salsa, guacamole, humus or other dips. Yum!
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    Pita chips
    most of these are worse than chips though.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Replace them with will power. Seriously, you're not going to win this game in the long run if you can't exercise control over your desire to eat.

While I appreciate your *incredibly* helpful response, please look down at my ticker. I am not new to this. I have exercised amazing willpower, to lose 160 lbs, I had to, and while I am eating far fewer of them, I would like to cut them out completely for something that would be more healthful. As I have done for sweets, and pasta, and a great many other things that I have learned to live without. It is a process. One that I know, very well. I have been doing this, and doing it well, might I add. Even in moderation, I have decided that I do not want them in my diet anymore, but, I would like to have a good substitute for something salty in the evenings while watching a movie with my family that will be eating (and buying their own) chips anyway. I do not feel it irrational for me to ask the opinions of others for a good alternative.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    thinly sliced ENGLISH (not regular) cucumbers. I'm a chip fanatic but I adore English cukes, plus you can have so much more yummy dip since they have like, next to no calories. they're less bitter with a thinner skin than regular cucumbers.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I take 1 pita bread, cut it into 8, separate the bread so I have double the amount. Grab a little EVOO and some seasoning and brush it on the pita bits then I bake them in the oven. One pita bread makes quite a big bunch of chips. They are great with hummus too. Or I make chips with sliced thin potato/sweet potato also in the oven.

I find that a 'bag of chips' just isn't satisfying for me, always want more so I don't really eat them these days.
  • gracenhalee08
    Options
    I hear those sun chips are more healthier and the baked ones I'm gonna try those instead of the reg ones. I'm also hearing boxes of raisins are only 60 cals.
  • TaterTotz7
    TaterTotz7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    "Try light pringles made with Olestra.. 70 cal's for 14 chips :) or try cutting back on the amount you eat of your fav chips.. moderation"

mmmm just what i always wanted, Olestra, with side effects like loose stools and abdominal cramping. Thanks for the tip. Not.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Kellogg's special K sea salt cracker chips - 30 chips is 110 calories

Salted peanuts or salted almonds, pumpkin seeds

Baked Lays potato chips - snack size bag is 130 cals
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    Tacos.

^THIS.

also, bacon would be an acceptable answer.
  • Rage4lightning
    Rage4lightning Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet peppers. The small ones that come in red, yellow and orange. Not to be confused with bell peppers, although, that would work for me too. I love the crunch and they totally satisfy me as a sandwich side.

Peppers all the time! I love them and have no real desire to eat chips when I munch on peppers instead. Though I usually go for the bell peppers.

Also, Crunchmaster crackers are good. They're about 140 calories for 15 crackers. I found mine at Kroger for around $3.
  • cbrrabbit25
    Options
    "Try light pringles made with Olestra.. 70 cal's for 14 chips :) or try cutting back on the amount you eat of your fav chips.. moderation"

mmmm just what i always wanted, Olestra, with side effects like loose stools and abdominal cramping. Thanks for the tip. Not.

ha ha, ya and they also say could cause "anal leakage" on some of the olestra packages. sounds fun!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Kale chips! You can find them at health food stores, or you can make your own in the oven, very easy!