abs under 200 pounds...

Options

Replies

• Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You keep using that humility word, I'm not sure you know what it actually means. I in no way put myself above your triathlete, I haven't included myself in the quote (I'm just the messenger), this whole topic isn't even about me in particular.
    Ugh. I don't think you understand humility. You are sooooo sure you know that my son is skinny and not ripped, when you should have enough humility to say there's no way you can know because you've never seen him. How hard is that to understand?

Ok read carefully. If you son is anything near a decent triathlete he will have a body similar to Micheal Phelps aka a scrawny teenagers body, that yes IS lean, but not big muscular wise at all. Now go look at some up to date photos of Dave Tate, or John Meddows, these guys are lean AND muscular. That is who the quote is oriented to. A triathlete doesn't care much for strength so it is OK that your son isn't muscular. And since you argue so adamantly that your son is THICK SOLID TIGHT, if he is then he isn't a very good triathlete, your choice.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Your son is a triathlete. He's not a powerlifter. It's a different sport. There are different training methods and different physiques involved. It should make no difference to you or your son how he stacks up against powerlifters. They don't care that he can outswim them. It doesn't mean he's not a good athlete and it doesn't make him a bad person.

My son has ripped abs, his arms are cut, and he's under 200lbs. I never claimed he was a powerlifter, but I'm claiming that he is not "just skinny", as the OP's quote claimed.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Im surprised how many women actually got offended by the boob post :P
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    *grabs candy and watches*
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    Ok read carefully. If you son is anything near a decent triathlete he will have a body similar to Micheal Phelps aka a scrawny teenagers body, that yes IS lean, but not big muscular wise at all. Now go look at some up to date photos of Dave Tate, or John Meddows, these guys are lean AND muscular. That is who the quote is oriented to. A triathlete doesn't care much for strength so it is OK that your son isn't muscular. And since you argue so adamantly that your son is THICK SOLID TIGHT, if he is then he isn't a very good triathlete, your choice.

I'm not offended in the least. What I'm telling you is that he is not "just skinny".

Oh- and I know a little about powerlifting. My husband is a powerlifter and still benches 400. My other son, who is 18, squats 600. Their physiques are nothing like that of my 25 year old who is a triathlete, but none of them are skinny.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    "If you have abs, and you weigh under 200 pounds, you aren't jacked, you're just skinny"

Skinny like Asafa Powell you mean?

Asafa%2BPowell2.jpg

Yep, he's not very big.

Thanks for providing your sense of perspective.

I guess to a tiny part of the population he would be considered "skinny".

The blind part.
  • Plates559
    Options
    The quote came from a podcast featuring some of the best Power lifters and body builders around the world... so someone who hopes to train at that level is their audience, please understand that mindset before posting.
  • Plates559
    Options
    "If you have abs, and you weigh under 200 pounds, you aren't jacked, you're just skinny"

Skinny like Asafa Powell you mean?

Asafa%2BPowell2.jpg

Yep, he's not very big.

Thanks for providing your sense of perspective.

I guess to a tiny part of the population he would be considered "skinny".

The blind part.

He is lean but he isn't big. Arnold was big, Coleman, Yates, Zane, were all big. This guy isn't. That is the perspective since the quote is coming from EliteFTS.

I'm sure he is one hell of a sprinter, I don't doubt that, but he isn't BIG THICK SOLID TIGHT
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I'm not offended in the least. What I'm telling you is that he is not "just skinny".

Oh- and I know a little about powerlifting. My husband is a powerlifter and still benches 400. My other son, who is 18, squats 600. Their physiques are nothing like that of my 25 year old who is a triathlete, but none of them are skinny.

squats 600 lbs? :P
  • myofibril
    Options
    that level is their audience, please understand that mindset before posting.

That's fair enough.

As long as you understand the mindset and the level of the audience you are addressing on this website in turn.

"Skinny" can be used pejoratively and in a negative sense. That's why you are getting a lot of flack.
  • Plates559
    Options

10/10 would laugh again
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're going way out of your way to sound like a *kitten*.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    The quote came from a podcast featuring some of the best Power lifters and body builders around the world... so someone who hopes to train at that level is their audience, please understand that mindset before posting.

agreed.

It'd be like people listening to an anorexic podcast, then taking offense when they said the following example was a "fat" person:
    shirtless+Mark+Wahlberg+packs+pounds+role+a88clEvYPSAl.jpg

If anyone in this thread other than Plates and a couple others knew who the information was coming from, they'd understand.
    this is the owner of EliteFTS:
    image003.jpg
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

The podcast was targeted to that audience, your post was not. If you want to get more people to agree with you, it might benefit you to keep your audience in mind.

And again, stop letting someone's comment on the interweb get to you.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Looks like no one gets the boob quote either. Go back and read it again.

This is hilarious. I don't think YOU are getting what you even typed. How about YOU go back and read it again. Your statement about fat chicks with big boobs is essentially saying that because they're made up of fat, they don't count as real boobs.

If anything, I hope you've learned that Susie's boobs count.

Actually it means that while the boobs may be big, the total package is not impressive.

I'm in for vid of the 18yo barbell back squatting 600 parallel or below.

I wouldn't call that Asafa Powell dude skinny, but he is indeed not very big. Does he even lift?
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    squats 600 lbs? :P

Yup. He's a big boy who thinks squatting this much makes him big guy on campus. He plays college football.
  • Plates559
    Options
    image003.jpg

Oh man If I could I would birth his babies!
  • myofibril
    Options

He is lean but he isn't big. Arnold was big, Coleman, Yates, Zane, were all big. This guy isn't. That is the perspective since the quote is coming from EliteFTS.

I'm sure he is one hell of a sprinter, I don't doubt that, but he isn't BIG THICK SOLID TIGHT

Don't have an issue with that really.

He is small in comparison to those guys and if your goal is to be "big" in that sense then yeah, 200lbs is light.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Your son is a triathlete. He's not a powerlifter. It's a different sport. There are different training methods and different physiques involved. It should make no difference to you or your son how he stacks up against powerlifters. They don't care that he can outswim them. It doesn't mean he's not a good athlete and it doesn't make him a bad person.

My son has ripped abs, his arms are cut, and he's under 200lbs. I never claimed he was a powerlifter, but I'm claiming that he is not "just skinny", as the OP's quote claimed.

Powerlifters think your son is skinny. John Force thinks your Dodge Viper is slow. Who fcking cares?
  • perfectingpatti
    Options
    I'm in for vid of the 18yo barbell back squatting 600 parallel or below.

Really? I'll see if he'll send it to me.