WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Options
3183285ol1c6r21zz.gif

:bigsmile: Welcome to the most supportive and encouraging family of women you will ever meet. The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

:bigsmile: In the USA, this is the month for celebrating Thanksgiving but in my world, every day is a day of giving thanks for all my blessings…..I chose a picture of November rain to greet the month to remind us all to weatherproof our workouts either by finding the right clothing for being outdoors in the changing weather or by finding ways to be active indoors when the weather doesn’t allow you to be outside.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for October?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you chosen for November?

:flowerforyou: It is never too late to reinvent your life and make the changes you have been thinking about.

:flowerforyou: Start today to do something different and you will be amazed with the results.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for November
*yoga once a week
*weight training three days a week
*recumbent bike 60 minutes a day
*say “OK”---be agreeable
*stay in the moment
*Be Barbie

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie; I'm from NW Washington also.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie; I'm from NW Washington also.

Welcome, we will enjoy having you in our family and will want to hear all about your pets.:smile:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    13 hour work day. exhausted. see you all tomorrow.

Robin, bodi and ritter.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting us up,Barbie
    HUGS
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I live just North of NW Washington. Two minutes drive North of the border.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie, for starting us. Enjoy the graphic !! I live in the Treasure Valley area of Idaho. Right now the weather is still good but we are experiencing the chillier mornings, rain, getting up its dark trying to learn how to work around all of that. Wanting to exercise in a safe environment too. Looking into buying a treadmill.

Will be back later to posts November Goals. I really want to think them through before stating them.

Liz
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie.

Welcome to all of the newcomers!

Jolene- My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Will post goals later.
    Deb A
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First post in November (and it's still only October for 2 more hours for me). Thank you Barbie for starting it up and in such a thoughtful way. I will try not to feel down about the rain (and it'll probably be snow for me by mid-month anyway).

October goals (with comments)
    Get more sleep each night – 7-8 hours – most of the time
    Get up by 7 am each morning – except for weekends
    Every morning identify something I am looking forward to – didn’t really do
    Declutter one cupboard or drawer each week - done
    Lose 3 pounds – only 1.8

November goals
    Eat breakfast every morning
    Eat at least 1000 calories per day
    Declutter kitchen
    Complete Christmas planning
    Lose 1 pound per week
    Exercise daily

Well, so-so on the October goals - going to eat more and exercise more and see if I can get this %#$& scale moving. I know the second half of my weight goal is going to be slower than the first, so any advice anyone can give me will be muchly appreciated.

Joelene - prayers and positive energy coming your way. We're all rooting for you.

Deb A - wow, you are almost there, wonderful.

Hardly any trick or treaters, so disappointed (and I'll take the left over Cheetos in to work for the guys or kids that come in).
    Off to bed to read and get my 8 hours in.
    Good night everyone
    Lila
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Well I read your posts and it motivated me to go to the gym tonight by myself.:flowerforyou: The girls did not want to go Trick or treating, so I gave myself one big treat and went to the gym! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I did a one handed elliptical workout for 45 mins and rode the recumbent bike for 30mins!!!!!!!! :smile: Yipee. The gym was nice -no one was there only a few kindred souls trying to get their work out done! :drinker: :drinker:

I am going to see the work comp MD in the am at 10:00 am. I just want to get better and get back to work ASAP.:sad: I am going to weigh in the am and then I will comment on my oct/nov goals.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

For those of you who have read the Happiness Project, tell me how is a parent to accomplish having children getting their chores done without nagging, or reminding them like 50 times to do their chores??? Consequences do not seem to work. :explode: :explode: :grumble: :grumble:

Liz, I would get a recumbent bike before a treadmill. Much easier on the joints and I believe it will take up less space.:bigsmile:

Anyway, left hand pecking is done for tonight.

Barbie, thanks for keeping us going. I always feel so positive and renewed after I read your posts.:drinker: For you I am grateful as well as all of the ladies on this blog!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Here's to a healthy and prosperous November 2012!

Hugs to all.:heart: Prayers for those needing them right now. :heart:
    Linda :flowerforyou:
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Just a little break in my night's sleep. Thanks Barbie for getting us off to an excellent start.

Lin
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Happy November!!!!

Barbie:smile: Thanks for keeping us going!!!

I will be back later to post my goals! I have a dentist appt. at 7:30 this morning:grumble: , so need to go jump in the shower now!!! Sometimes I wonder why I make my appts. so early:frown: .

Have a wonderful day beauties!!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    "It is never to late..." and "Start today..." Thanks Barbie!
    Robin, 13 hrs? Do you have to do that often? Used to be able, but now anything over 11 kills me, thank Goodness it only happens a few times a year.
    Liz, I hope to be back at Line Dancing class at the Nampa Eagles next Wednesday, would love to meet you there... ;}
    Lila, congrats on the October declutter success!
    Linda, What a workout! Good luck with the MD,
    DeeDee 7:30 am DDS appt? Yikes!

Didn't need a Halloween costume, had 2 shiners and a bruise down to my chin from the surgery to remove skin cancer from side of nose. Not as bad as it sounds, only had to go down one level, incision is threadlike, and the 15 stitches came out yesterday.

Joe and I still heartachingly miss Robby, but Scooter brings laughter into the tears. Can't help but feel Robby and Heaven sent Scooter to us.

November goal is back to basics, log food, move, figure out how to avoid feeling overwhelmed by simplifying instead of adding more layers.

Thanks to all you wonderful gals for the kind messages and encouragement,

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day

2012: dance more, bark less and check in!!!
    November: back to basics
  • bluebug53
    bluebug53 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Happy November. Starting it off right, Heading to the gym for some cardio now! November for me will be finishing up this round of p90x. which will end on the 25th. Plus hitting the gym twice a week for cardio, since the weather no longer permits me to be out on my bike! I am thinking in December I may attempt Insanity : ). We shall see when we get closer! But I figure it is a great way to end the year strong and to start the new year on a positive. Main thing is to Stay away from all the party foods over the next couple of months!!!!
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    November 1st and it's always nice to have a nice clean slate to work with!

October daily goals (recap)

* Track food and exercise - missed only two days
    * Do 45 minutes of cardio - not consistent, needs improvement
    * Yoga 3 times a week - nope
    * Strive for 10,000 pedometer steps - have to find a way to remember to actually put my fitbit on!
    * Stay on plan - for the most part
    * Have a positive outlook - always!

Well, I probably earned a C+ for October. :grumble:

November daily goals:

* Track food and exercise
    * Do 60 minutes of cardio
    * Remember to clip on fitbit
    * Have a positive outlook
    * Check in with this group

Our Halloween trek with the grandkids was quick (too cold and windy to stay out much longer than an hour). They were happy though, and kept telling us "This is the best Halloween ever!". I love seeing them so happy! :love: :love:

Will chat more later...

Deborah:flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    So I didn't do to well on my October goals. the job just got in the way.

November goals
    Tap or some other video movement 5 days a week
    3 litres of water per day (I did make this goal in October and succeeded)
    find one thing to laugh about every day.

Jolene sending positive thoughts your way.

Barbara no I don't have to work that long very often, maybe two or three times a year. It kills me too.

Take care all

Robin, Bodi boy and Ritter bit
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    @LindaSundance, for some reason MFP shows using a stationary bike burns more calories than using a treadmill at the same pace!

As for the kids/chores situation ~ good luck! :ohwell:

Deborah:flowerforyou:
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie,

Well I am joining this thread today on my 105th day with MFP. Looks like a great bunch of ladies. I turn 52 in Dec. and plan to complete my first 13.1 on Dec 9th. I love to do most of my workouts outside. Even my home gym is outside on the screened porch. Often I will stop by county park on my return run to do walking leg lunges and walking squats then planks before heading home.

My DH is a diabetic so I am learning to cook differently and buy whole clean foods. My son is in his senior year and will graduate in May. My daughter is at UF Go Gators. We have a old German Shepherd but is a great dog. She likes to be home. Will not walk with me more than 3 houses before she just stops and refuses to go forward but will go home.

Enjoy this awesome Fall weather. Praying for the North East hit by Sandy and that awful cold front.

Patsy
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Goals for November-
    Make my goal of 100 pounds lost, almost there!!
    Drink my 8+ glasses of water…every day.:sick:
    Workout 300+ minutes each week.
    Perform a random act of kindness each day of this month.:flowerforyou:
    Put my hat in the ring for the job opening I would like that is coming available (even though I know I feel like I don’t interview well).:noway:

Well we had many, many trick or treaters last night. I love seeing the kids coming up. We had a very unsettling event however. These two little girls came up to the door in tears and shaking. I thought maybe our dog, Elisa Jane, had frightened them. She greeted everyone in her pumpkin costume. When I asked her if she was afraid of the dog, she said no, two older boys had threatened to beat them up if they didn’t give them their candy. She said she ran until she got to our door.

I asked her if she where her mother was, she didn’t know. She had gotten separated from two other children they were out with. The other kids had the cell phone. I asked her if she lived nearby and she told me they lived in Dukedom, which is 35 miles away. I couldn’t believe someone would take their children to a town they don’t live in and drop them unsupervised in a neighborhood they don’t know!! I asked her if she wanted to use our phone and she said yes. Shortly after the other two children came to our door. I brought them all inside to watch The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown and wait for their mother to come. My husband stood out on the sidewalk and talked the mother to our house. She was out on the highway about 6 miles from town. Unbelievable! I finally got the kids calmed down, after Little Hug barrel drinks and crazy straws all around (Grandmas are always prepared for crisis). She showed up about 10 minutes later and picked them up. She never said thank you or kiss my foot. She just put the kids in the van and left. DH and I talked about it afterwards, what if we had been terrible people? They would never have found those children. I can’t believe the risk people take with their kids, Good Grief!:grumble: :angry:

Anyway, my son and his family showed up.:happy: My Granddaughter’s (Kamari) first Halloween.:heart::heart: She is 15 months old. She was a darling little bumble bee.:bigsmile: She kept trying to scare her Grandpa (a new trick her mommy taught her). I am so thankful they are attentive parents.

After things settled down, I worked on cleaning the rooms upstairs. My DD is “expanding” her area into her brother’s old room. Whatever keeps her happy and home a bit longer, lol:heart::heart: .

After that I am afraid the Halloween candy got the better of me. Oh, well new day, fresh start.
    Have a great day Ladies.
    Grace and peace,
    Jolene
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oh Happy Day!

My big window is still black with night, so I don’t know what the weather is doing, but it’s still a happy day. :smile: It’s warm inside and I have my coffee ready to go.

October resolutions, recap:

Try a new class at the Rec Center – I did not make it to a new class,:grumble: but I did start curling, so that may count for something. It may also tell you that I have a pretty good schedule set-up or that I am completely inflexible. I don’t know.

Restart New Rules of Lifting for Life :explode: I am well on my way.

Walk the dog – Nope, :blushing: poor Buster-the-Poodle is still pretty much on his own for walking. Lucky he’s a miniature and a run down the hallway is good exercise for him.

Stay cheerful when folks at work get down, surround myself with cheerful people. :happy: Yup, did OK with that one. I kind of enjoy taking a quiet 15 minute break in my classroom at lunch time when things get grouchy in the staff room.

November Goals:

Continue New Rules of Lifting – 3 workouts a week. This is probably going to be easy because I enjoy it.

Keep up the exercise & good eating routine when we go away for our November break. We have a 4 day break in mid-November and will be going to Spokane for some R & R. It would be too easy to let it become a 4 day break from healthy living too.

Add meditative prayer to my daily routine – 15 minutes at lunch break. I need to balance the attention I give to my body with some attention to my spiritual life.

Alcohol free Sunday to Thursday. I find that if I have wine with dinner or a brandy after dinner my will power is shot. So, I'll make sure I don't loose it!

I would still like to loose the last five pounds, but I’m not going to make it a “goal” because I can’t control it. I mean, I can control my diet, my exercise and many other aspects of my life, but I can’t command the scale to move. So I will control the things I can and expect the weight to creep off.

Someone said I must have a great body with all the exercise I do. :bigsmile: Hah. Not yet. The picture above makes me look pretty hot, but that’s a trick of the drape of the dress and the cropping. If you pull up the full version from my profile you will see that there’s still some heft to those hips! I have lost almost 40 pounds in the last 14 months, but I’ve been stuck at 5 pounds from my goal since the end of August. Grrr.

Linda, congratulations on getting to the gym in spite of your sore hand. I really enjoy going to work out by myself too. It's almost meditative, just me and the gang, getting on with things. There are a few people who like to chat, but I keep the iPod headphones in even when it's turned off and no one bothers me.

My next post will be more social, today I need to gear up to cope with a gang of tired, grouchy, sugar crashed twelve year olds.

Oh...we had four trick-or-treaters here yesterday (our house is not appealing to trick-or-treaters because it's on a cul-de-sac and there aren't many street lights) and two of them were J'boys friends from school. Girls. :noway: One of them was "my girlfriend Christine". She's been his best buddy since Grade 8 but I haven't met her formally because they don't really do anything outside of school. She's beautiful. :ohwell: Wow! That boy has hidden depths. Should I be worried? Hmmmm.

Gotta go,

Hasta pronto...

Nancy
  • calmrose
    calmrose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you Barbie for that thoughtful opening, I am from south Louisiana and we have a lot of very good weather but it's too hot for walking outdoors most of the time so I have a treadmill at home and my boss put a treadmill here at the office for me. It allows me to walk in the mornings before we get busy. I walk for 30 minutes most days and when I miss it here I walk at home. My cardiologist has insisted that I walk EVERY DAY for as long as I can.

I have enjoyed reading these opening posts this morning and they have inspired me to set some goals and work very hard to meet them.

November goals:
    walk 50 minutes every day
    stay on plan
    increase daily vegetables to 4 cups
    record eating & exercise every day
    greet everyone with a smile

I am looking at these weight loss tickers and I am thinking that you cannot argue with success. I am seeing 70 pounds lost and 34 and 71 and 42 and on and on,. I am inspired just by seeing that you ladies have found a way to do it and some of you are at your goal weight and are still here to help and encourage others. I am impressed ladies. I have been a member of South Beach Diet online for 3 1/2 years. I lost 34 pounds in the first year then put it all back on when I was faced with some challenges. I know the program works but I have to find a way to make it my lifestyle. The exercise also has to be a way of life, not something I do to lose the weight then quit. I like the attitude here and I welcome the accountability.