WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    One more pound bites the dust. So far most weeks have been between .8 and 1.2 pounds. I'm beginning to get concerned that I won't be in my 150's by December. That's 4 weeks to lose 5 pounds. I'm going to have to step it up. Well actually I want to be in my 150's for our annual Christmas party - which is December 8th - so that gives me another week. I'm going to get the DVD Laura is doing. Don't know if my bad feet and arthritis will let me do it, but I'll give it my all.

DeeDee my husband would kick you out of his house. He hates people putting clothing on dogs. Especially if it's a costume of something. I'm assuming Noel is a pooch?

Whodat - are you from New Orleans? I am but now live in Chicago.
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How did I miss this group? Since I'll never see 50 again I guess I qualify for membership. I had a tough October and am glad its over. I was cruising along and doing well. Then I ran into a health issue that sat me down for a week. That was followed by 10 days of visiting grandchildren out of state, another disruption to my routine. Since then, I've been struggling. A November challenge may help me stay focused.

My goals for November are:

Stay on my calorie goal.

Lose 3 pounds

Deliberately exercise 5 days a week.

Walk a minimum of 10000 steps every day.

Wish me luck!

Sue
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't believe November is here already...Where does the time go??? Yesterday I learned of a previous co-worker's 15 year old son passing away from a form of cancer. Wednesday I was dealing with a co-worker with terminal cancer still fighting the battle, but losing. She wants to work but is in denial of what she is physically able to do. She was finally convinced to take leave. Two very sad events related to cancer which bring my own losses right up to the forefront of my mind. Needless to say I let the emotions get the "worst" of me and binged. Not looking for sympathy because I know everyone has their own struggles and issues. I want to thank the person who posted the smiley chart with the black smileys on it. This is what I am thinking of today. Yesterday was a black smiley day. Today will be a sunshine smiley day!!!

October goals-
    Keep up with Jazzercise twice a week –not so good( I did do at least two home workouts a week!)
    Yoga once a week –two out of four weeks
    Keep logging daily –had a 3 day girls weekend with no logging
    8 glasses of water –not so good
    Do not buy Halloween candy too early!!! (buy the kind I don't like-YES! I accomplished one goal!!!

November goals-

Exercise four times a week-Either Jazzercise or home DVD’s
    Yoga once a week
    Daily logging
    8 glasses of water per day
    Thanksgiving holiday moderation- will be out of town so need to watch portions
    Find happiness in something every day
    Be thankful for what I have and give back to others

I am thankful for this MFP support group. Today is a new day.

Carolyn
  • sassmo
    sassmo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie,

You're just what I needed today. I joined MFP in early September and was doing great until Halloween! Kind of fell off the wagon and have been beating myself up ever since. I needed some motivation to get back on track and stay strong.

Goals for November:

Track every day
    Start using my exercisse bike along with daily walks
    Portion control
    Enjoy the holidays rather than dreading them!
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ladies. I'm just about to go for a walk. It's 8 miles to where I'm meeting my daughter and I'm going to stomp my way there. I'm leaving plenty of time to stop and smell the coffee on the way.
    Hope you are all doing well.
    Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I was looking for a group like this. I am restarting this program. Just restarted the end of October. I am trying to work my way up to exercising 4-5 times a week. I work at night...3 12hr shifts a week. I am so tired when I get home the last thing I want to do is exercise. So...my goals for November:

-work out 5 times a week for 30 - 45 minutes
    -log all of my meals and snacks (I can be bad about this)
    -drink all of my water
    -avoid drinking diet pop...limit to one a day (12oz)
    -eat out only 1 time a week. No fast food. Don't go if I'm really hungry.
    -pack food to take with me to work or other errands. String cheese and nuts come to mind.

I'll have to copy this list and put it in a variety of places around the house.

Let's all have a great November

~~Joyce
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Reading over all the posts this morning, I am amazed at the ongoing strength and energy of this wonderful group of women! It brought to mind a quote I once read, and goes something like this:

"Here's to strong women ~ may we know them, may we raise them, may we be them!"

Wishing you a day of promise, and the strength to get through it...

Deborah:flowerforyou:
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Eileen, so happy your son is home safely!
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone – and welcome to the countdown (in the US) to the relief from the election!

I had a couple of notes started but wound up getting sidetracked – been busy. No apologies, just busy. OK, maybe a little apology to myself at least – pretty cruddy with the nutrition this week. Indulged in a few candies, a few glasses of wine, and sushi. I’m back on track after a couple of days of just not caring, because at the end of the day I really do care or I wouldn’t be working like this.

We had a layoff in my group last week, then the storm hit and took a bunch of our East Coast members out (we still haven’t heard from at least one member since Friday), then we found out yesterday that one of the people who had been laid off was found dead this week. We haven’t gotten any details, but as it happens I’m going to be traveling to that office this next week to work from Phoenix and meet with my boss and group. Now I’ll add “memorial service” to the list of things to do. We’re all really, really down. I’m working on a project based on code he had written, so I see his name every day and keep thinking I should call him with questions – but now I can’t. Sad.

Barbie, thanks for starting up the November thread. As to goals, I did really well all month – walked almost every single day until the last week – and I think Hurricane Sandy is a good excuse not to walk. I did keep up with my indoor exercise and watched my calories to account for less exercising. I also managed to lose six pounds over the month.

Goals for Nov:
    --Keep up with the indoor and outdoor exercise – work out at least six days a week
    --Focus more on clean eating – lots of fruit and veggies and fewer carbs
    --Lots of travel coming up so stay in the moment and enjoy each and every trip
    --Get the house winterized

OK, I’ll catch up with everyone later –

Cheers,

Michelle
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    How do you post a picture from your computer hard drive?
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

I've had a week, phew. The scale threw me face-down in the dirt after my trip, causing me to wallow in the mire of disgust yesterday. :ohwell: But it's a lesson to be learned and by golly I'd better take heed. I've had to yank myself up, wipe off the mud, let off some steam :explode: and propel myself forward by paying super-close attention to every little bite of food that goes into my mouth. And most importantly, work on keeping it shut for a change! It's been stuck in the "open" position for the better part of 2 months. Lo and behold, the scale cooperated this morning. The formula is simple. Eat right, eat less. I know how to eat "right", it's the "less" part that haunts me sometimes. :blushing:

Oh, M, I'm terribly sorry about your work-mate. How sad. :cry:

Early work day today, I'd better get busy with chores. Wishing you all a wonderful, healthy day. :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb
  • rrboxer
    rrboxer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

A lady in my prayer meeting group suggested I try myfitnesspal and reluctantly I did open an account. Honestly, the only reason I did this because she would talk about it so positively and enthusiasticly so I set up an account. Even though I've been on fitnesspal for maybe 3 mos now I'm not really utilizing it much. I mostly use it to track my food.

Since I've torn my achilles heel and I'm not able to do true exercise I'm concerned about my weight gain and gaining more weight so after seeing the 50 + I decided to try to be more active and join in. So, my humble goals right now.

*Eat healthy with smaller portions*
    *Stay within my calorie count*
    *Do some free weight exercises that I am able*
    *Drink at least 8 or more glasses of water a day*
    *Be more positive about my injury and be patient (it will take time to heal)
    *Most of all utilize this website to my benefit*
    *Stay in a cheerful frame of mind while I am waiting for my injury to heal)
    *Do the very best I can every singel day!*
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Deborah - raw cookie (or cake) dough is my downfall. But once it's baked, then it really doesn't do much for me.

barbie - do you remember when you posted your recipe for the butternut squash apple soup? I'd like to try it, I know that I printed it out when you posted it, only now I can't find it :( I tried searching your posts, but evidentally you post on some other boards, too, and I went thru a lot of pages and didn't find it yet.

Jen - love your late father's saying!

Micki - hope you're feeling AOK real soon. I know you'll feel better once the staples and stitches come out. They really hold a person back. Your trip to the Holy Land sounds awesome. Did you go with a tour group?

Oh, Ophia. Where in Tennessee are you?

Did an hour of speed intervals on the treadmill today. Ran for 30 sec then walked fast for 30 sec. Tomorrow I'll do some yoga.

Barb - yes, it was me who said that MFP never recalculated my calories. I didn't even know that it did that!

I'm supposed to volunteer at the Green Room (local community theater) this afternoon. I'm taking a bag of grapes with me and I'll take a bottle of water. I'm not going to go to mahjongg today because there's no way I can get back in time to go to the Green Room. I didn't go yesterday because the pool guy was here.

Welcome everyone new that I may have missed!

Lila - good for you getting rid of those Halloween treats! Doesn't it feel good? I know how good I felt yesterday when I got rid of mine.

Eileen - how wonderful that your son is back! How long was he gone for? Even if he was just gone for one day, as a mother I know you worried.

Renewed my Y membership today. I was just thinking, I've been a member of a YMCA since Bryan was in first grade, and he's 26 now! Changed my enrollment from one branch to another one. I honestly don't go to that branch much at all. I did when we first moved to Hickory and I lived close by, but now I don't.

Lizzie - welcome! Congrats on the jogging. I'm not much of a runner (I just don't like it) but the speed intervals that I did today are just enough and they really get me sweating!

Cheryl - hope all goes well for you. I'll be looking for a report. No matter how low on calories I am for the day, if I eat late at night, I know that I can be guaranteed of a gain, so I feel for you and hope things work out well.

DeeDee - I vole for you going shoppping. Besides, youll burn more calories going shopping than doing laundry. How many do you burn putting it into the washer and then into the dryer. Now the calories you burn walking around the store, that's another thing altogether!

Cheryl - congrats on the pound lost!

Sue - welcome, we're glad you found us!

Carolyn - it is so sad when someone so young passes away. My cousin has cancer and it's starting to catch up with her.

Vince bought the Halloween candy. He does every year. I wish he'd buy more of the stuff I don't like, only problem is that there's too much that i DO like...lol But at least it's out of the house now

We went up to Jessica's last year for Thanksgiving and will go again this year. I know what it'll be "ma will provide the desserts and lots of other things (dishes, etc)" Oh well. She's on a kickball league and I know she's wanted us to go up to see a game of hers. We haven't since we've been busy with the pool, but now that part is over and she's in the playoffs, we were going to go up in 2 weeks, so if she's playing then (I hope so) we'll go to her game.

Joyce - welcome! Before you know it, youll be craving healthy food and packing snacks to take with you will become second nature.

M - Vince and I went to early vote yesterday. I wish there was a list we could get on not to get any more political calls. I can't wait until all this is over! So sorry to hear the guy who was laid off was found dead. Do they know the cause of death?

Going to have something to eat, then off to volunteer. Hope everyone has a great day.

Michele
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Ladies! Nothing new to report today, so I'll just respond. :flowerforyou:

Cheryl -- Good job on having a day without snacks! It sounds like you're doing well at avoiding your kids' candy.

Micki -- Meds definitely can throw you off track. You're nearly off them, though, and I know that you'll be back on-plan soon. Your trip to Israel sounded like an amazing time -- thank you for sharing it with us!

Lila -- So wonderful that your daughter has a 2nd book deal!! :bigsmile: Good for her! What does she write? Is this the one that moved to Holland?

Eileen -- So happy that your son is home safely from Afghanistan. I hope that you get to see him soon!

Lizzie -- Welcome to our group! I'm really impressed with the 1.2 miles of jogging. I've never run more than half a block, either. The few times that I've tried, my family nearly died laughing at me! That's great that you were able to do that.

DeeDee -- It sounds like your dog is really enjoying her new coats! :happy: My daughter liked to dress her dog up, too, when she had a small one. Now she has a chocolate lab that is less conducive to clothing.

Michelle Wheatcraft -- Congrats on 6 lbs. down, that's wonderful! I think that we all go through times of not caring, but thank goodness you got control of it after only 3 days. About 6 years ago, I went through several months of "not caring" and gained back the entire 30 lbs. I had lost, even though I knew I was doing it. Those are the pounds that I'm working on again now. I hope I'll never be in a place like that again.

JB -- I love your way with words -- you're a great writer! :laugh: As long as we can learn from our experiences, they have a purpose. Glad you're back on track!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: TGI Friday and boy do I mean it!

Deborah- Your tea sounds wonderful, I'll have to see if we have that kind here:drinker:

Michele-I'm sure those workers that have been coming to your house will miss you with all those goodies that you have been baking and passing out:flowerforyou: Good for you taking back the candy to the store:drinker:

jb-sounds like you have a good plan before talking with your Mom's Doctor, study up then go down the list...hoping your Mom will make the changes it's always hard to get our parents to change something they think is okay when in reality it's not:happy:

Joelene- it's a good thing it was you and your husband that helped those little girls... sounds like that Mom could use some parenting lessons:huh:

Jen-you pack in plenty of memories while your son is home:flowerforyou:

Cheryl- I know how frustrating it is when you get so busy that you miss the regular eating time...sometime when that happens I find myself eating an extra big salad because it's so late eating dinner and I don't like going to bed with a full stomach. When I'm at work I live by the clock so my day is broken up into when I get to eat and I NEVER miss a snack when I'm at work:wink: Congrats on that loss:drinker: If you are going to try the 30 day Shred there is some jumping jacks and pretend jump roping...but I'm sure that if you change that out to doing the punches or some of the other exercises with the weights you will still get your heart rate up...watch Level 1 before you try it...good luck:flowerforyou:

Micki- your trip sounds wonderful:love: I'm sure you took a lot of pictures and when you look at them it's hard to believe that you were really there. Glad you are back.

Barbie- I love your goals...and that your walking with hubby just doesn't quite make it...but good for you in giving it a try...maybe he will be able to fit it in when the weather turns warmer again in the spring and summer.:flowerforyou:

Kathy-glad you found out what was wrong with Benji and that he's on the mend now:flowerforyou:

Glenda-sounds like you have started November on the run, find time for yourself too:flowerforyou:

Barbara- I remember how hard it was when I returned in January to get my logging back on track and make it a priority, but you can do it I know you can:drinker:

Lila- only a .2 of a loss but if it's permanent then it's still a positive loss. It's always best when it comes off slow you keep going and you are sure to lose more this month:drinker:

Eileen-so glad your son is home, enjoy you time with him:drinker: I remember all those homecomings when #1 Son came home they were always filled with so much excitment.

Liz-sounds like you have a good plan for your days at the conference:flowerforyou:

DeeDee-shopping:love: I especially love shoe shopping....enjoy:flowerforyou:

Carolyn-so sorry to hear about the losses and the struggles of your co workers:flowerforyou: Yes thank goodness we have a new month to begin fresh:drinker: :drinker:

Amanda-you enjoy that time with your daughter, so glad she is over for a visit:flowerforyou:

Michelle-so sorry to hear about the passing of your co worker:flowerforyou:

janehadji-no news is good news:huh: still not talking? Hoping you have a good weekend.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the newbies, jump right in and let us get to know you...come back often:flowerforyou:

Worked later than usual last night as the boss is trying to get up to the mountains to hunt elk over the weekend so as usual he left a lot of stuff until the last minute. He's running around this morning like a chicken without his head...as long as he stays out of my office I'm fine with it:wink:

By the time I got home and got my day 5 in of the Shred it was 6:45 and by the time I was eating dinner it was almost 7:30...I really dislike eating that late:grumble: But I guess if I have to choose between eating late and not getting in my exercise I would have to choose the eating late as I'm trying really hard to like exercise and make it a true part of my life. This morning was the first morning since I started the 30 day shred that my calves haven't hurt:bigsmile: so I'm wondering if that means I need to move on to the next Level:huh: will give it some thought.

Yesterday my boss came in and said grab your jacket and we headed out to our yard out back (the office is on 10 ac in the country) and he set up a pumpkin and handed me the 410 shotgun. I had said I'd never shot a shotgun and he figured I should have my chance at it....let me just say I sent that pumpkin to pumpkin heaven:bigsmile:

Our friends (DIL #2's parents) are picking me up and taking me to dinner tonight, to an Italian place...I know their food and I'm not sure what I will be eating that will be good for me...maybe do some extra exercise:huh: Hubby has to work so it won't affect his diet plans, now tomorrow night....we are headed to Son #3 & DIL's for dinner and hubby is wanting Chinese food:cry: I love Chinese food but the sodium is a killer:sad: not sure how that will go:ohwell:

Well I have a lot to do so I'd best get at it. Everyone have a good Friday and keep logging your food, water and exercise:drinker:

Laura80111:happy:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~Welcome all newbies,this is an awesome group.
    So happy for you Eileen.My son was in Afghanistan in 2004.It was rough,but was so happy when he came home.
    Was in the Er last night with my daughter.She has 2 ear infections.Didn`t know a teen could still get ear infections,esp.since she hasn`t been swimming.
    Hubby is struggling with these hours at work,1 day 1-10 next day 9 to 6.Wish the economy would pick up for men who should be doing better with their experience and education.But we are grateful for a job at this point.
    Baby Alliyah is doing great.Nursing well and gained 5 oz .She even slept 6 hours in a row for 2 nights.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    HUGS
    jane:heart:
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Reading over all the posts this morning, I am amazed at the ongoing strength and energy of this wonderful group of women! It brought to mind a quote I once read, and goes something like this:

"Here's to strong women ~ may we know them, may we raise them, may we be them!"

Wishing you a day of promise, and the strength to get through it...

Deborah:flowerforyou:

Love this!!!
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Jane, my teen had a series of ear infections last year. They were linked somehow to a case of strep because of the connection with the Eustachian tubes. He hadn't had them since he was a baby. Good luck to your daughter!
  • cathyb60
    cathyb60 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, marking my spot for later.
    Only November 2nd and already 4 pages! I have been off the radar for a couple of weeks, hoping to start back on track this week. I'd like to avoid the person who keeps sabotaging me...but it's me! So I guess I'll have to have a long talk with myself later!
    Off to figure out some goals for November and read some of the posts

Happy November
    Cathy in Nova Scotia
  • rrboxer
    rrboxer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathyzoo, I received your friend request and thank you so much for suggesting the chair exercises. I will check it out on YouTube and I added you as a friend. Or I think I did I'm still getting used to this website. Previously I never really did much with it but that is going to change. It made me feel better to hear that you did have an injury but you didn't let that drag you down. Inspriational for me and Big Thank You Again! Have a Great day! :0)