WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone! October was a roller coaster - my anniversary, my birthday (54!), my father-in-law's death (on my birthday), a beloved uncle-in-law's death, plus a lot of work and windshield time. Amazingly, I've pretty much maintained my weight during all that. I am hoping for a very boring November!

My November goals include:
    Continue on the new vegan path I've decided to take.
    Don't buy bags/buckets of cashews, pistachios, or popcorn - I evidently have a little trouble with portion control and those foods!
    Resume some strength training exercises after my walking.
    Start a Christmas sewing project for my beautiful little granddaughters.

I wish all of you the best in achieving your goals!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Hmm going to try an add a monthly goal, have not done it before. Sept and Oct were totally crazy for me so my exercsise schedule and eating habits have been crazy. Two Main Goals

1) Get back to drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day (spent too much time in car last month so cut back on water)
    2) Eat fresh vegetables every day. (am ok on fruit, but been skipping a lot of salads).

I think I will add #3 - BACK AWAY FROM THE PEANUTS (stick with almonds, walnuts etc). :smile:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I've been fiddling around in Photobucket and found they've recently updated the site which is now easier to use and doesn't seem to clog up my PC every 20 seconds. Yay for that.

Thought I'd put up a couple pics of my doggies

My little rascal, Timber aka "T", rough-coat Jack Russell, first day home at 5 months old, and this summer, 9 yrs old

timber1edited.jpg
    DSC00102.jpg

Rugby, aka "Buggy" Blue Heeler, in his "buggy" when he suffered a torn meniscus a few years ago. I walked him every day for 5 months in his wheels, then one day when I strapped him in, he reached around and bit at it, as if to say "Get me out of this!" which I did immediately and never made him use it again. He could only walk slowly for 10 minutes without the wheels at first, but he's built up his strength over time and now he's able to trot alongside me for a good 30-45.

buggychair2.jpg
    buggychair3.jpg

Happy Saturday!
    :smile: jb
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovelies,

Mean-tongued families and "friends", health concerns, parent-care, deployed children, home changes, layoffs, storms, sudden deaths and slow ones, what a lot this group is dealing with. Glad we're able to vent to each other here. Truly inspired by the strength of character and warmth of heart you all display.:love:

'nother breakfast finish at computer. Was even able to forego the hashbrowns Joe wanted me to cook. Yesterday finally learned why I didn't like the Zumba wii game. Couldn't get any stars, always got tepid responses. Turns out that tho' I had the controller in the holder right side out, I put it in wrong end down. Thank you Yahoo answers! What a difference earning stars and seeing fireworks make. Zumbaed 34 minutes for a nearly 400 calorie burn.:bigsmile:

Lila "social work textbooks?" What a great heart :heart: she must have. Enjoy your rest this weekend you DESERVE it!
    DeeDee Maybe shopping is like S3x, in that there is no bad shopping?:laugh: Is there a picture of Noel's Noel dress?
    SuseMizZou Welcome! Nova November means we can put our October struggles:ohwell: are behind us.
    Carolyn I'm in awe of you for buying only Halloween candy you DON'T like. Well done!:drinker:
    Amanda in your former body, did you ever thing you'd walk 8 miles to meet anyone?:happy:
    rrboxer so glad you've found us and that you have such a positive friend. You'll find lots of encouragement and ideas here.:smile:
    Michele love the shopping vs laundry calorie calculation :wink:
    janehadji the image of your dd trying to costume her chocolate lab gave me quite a chuckle,:laugh: thanks!
    Laura thanks for the encouragement. I know logging is the key, just like I know my mat work keeps my knees going. Now to find a way to shut the "i don't wanna!" voice up... :grumble: Was it you who said it looked like you weren't exercising as no fitbit or HRM? How about logging the time under "Calisthenics..."?
    Barbie Almost fell of my chair reading about Jake's willingness to accept doggie dress-up, so long as its camo...:laugh:
    LindaSundance, you said it. Maybe its time you did get a lawyer.:frown:
    Viv Owww! :sick: Pain and a nasty taste, what a rocky way to start the day. Maybe give the Shred DVD a one day rest?
    Gail What an inspiring October you had! WOW!:flowerforyou:
    Robin, Kauai in February, I am sooooooo jealous:sick:
    Lin :explode: Appalling! The facility has no social worker or ombudsman to advocate/coordinate/communicate? They over-administered 3+ TIMES as much lasix as prescribed? For a MONTH? :huh: Unconscionable! Formulating some family checklists for them would truly be a blessing to other families and maybe the staff, who might be unhappy too with the total mismanagement. Time for a patient/family support group?
    katejkelley "...boring November"? Second that.:wink:
    jb love the pooch pics! Will try out the new improved photobucket this afternoon.

Welcome sassmo, Junglejoyce, wingram01, Debbe2, jonibc and all other newbies I missed.:flowerforyou:

All you lovely ladies I missed, sorry,:flowerforyou: but that's enough sitting for me. In between spreading the leaves that Joe mulches, I want to (really really want to) shampoo the carpets.

Really.
    :laugh:

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day

2012: dance more, bark less and check in!!!
    November: back to basics

SWSY or matminutes: 2=0 1=0:angry:
    steps: 2=9220 1=8809:ohwell:
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies--

Not much time to post. Have to get to the grocery store before long. I am making dinner for a friend's husband tonight. Please keep Sandy in your thoughts and prayers. Her husband is dying (many things wrong with him they can't figure out) and she got a call this week that her mother is dying in Florida and she had to go down there. Several of us in the choir are taking turns providing Joe with dinners while she is gone.

We have a fish fry to go to tonight for 3 of the adult Sunday school classss. Not sure what I will eat as I don't eat fish. I signed up to take a pie and was going to make an apple pie but we had a craft fair at work yesterday and I bought an apple pie instead. :smile:

My November goals:

Get back below 200 (I've sneaked above this week) AND STAY THERE
    Figure out a way to get my walking in (haven't walked much since returning from my trip)
    Keep logging my food
    and keep :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: (I have a harder time with this when it gets cold. I want drink something warm)

Have a great Saturday. Enjoy your day.

Micki
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 yesterday, who saw that coming????? lol time to get this this started cause time is flying. hi, I am RED. Nice to meet you.
  • dawnshot
    dawnshot Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 in Feb, and decided I needed to be fitter and healthier (and lose about 14 lbs) I've lost about 18lbs since August through clean eating and exercise. I thought I ate healthily before this, but looking closer, there were a lot of things I needed to change! I'm now down to 132lbs and exercise most days, even running which I never thought I could do.
    In Nov I want to tone up more, so I'll be doing a mix of Jillian Michaels dvd's, along with running 3 x per week.
    Good luck with the goals everyone!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just stumbled on this thread, so happy to find you as I was starting to feel awfully old (55) to participate in the other threads. It's amazing how our lives and concerns shift as we age.

I love the Jack Russell photos - what a handsome boy!

Goals for November are:

Limit my sofa time with the laptop in my lap to an hour a day.
    Walk half an hour a day, 6 days a week.
    Cardio 3 x a week
    Weights 3 x a week
    Yoga - one class a week plus 2 x a week at home, and get in yoga stretches during the day.

Nice to meet you all!
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all!

Took our nephew out for his birthday dinner last night and he really enjoyed it! His mom (my sister) and him are barely tolerating each other, so there was nothing planned for him on that end. :brokenheart: I was wondering why he decided on yesterday (his actual birthday) to go out with us, but now I know, so I'm really glad we were able to take him.:smile:

I had a terrible sleep last night and feel exhausted this morning. :yawn: Buddy and Sacha woke me up close to 3am to go outside. This is rare and usually they sleep through the night, but that was not the case this time. :grumble: I did my wifely duty and told DH that they needed to go out (what would he do without me?) but I guess my punishment for that was to lie awake for the next hour! :sad: I still managed to get in 7 hours, but it just isn't the same. :yawn:

Someone mentioned chili the other day, so now I'm craving some ~ yummy dinner tonight!:smile:

Barbara - my DH is also a fast eater and most days I'm left with most of my plate while he's already rinsing his! BTW, what does AHMOD stand for? I know it has to be something cute but I just can't figure it out! :tongue:

Glenda - you have been so busy lately! Enjoy your company this weekend ~ where are you heading off to next week? Somewhere warm I hope... :smile:

DeeDee - loved hearing about Noel's new wardrobe ~ any pics? I'd pick shopping over laundry any day! Enjoy your coffee visit with your friend! :drinker:

Cheryl - congrats on the loss ~ nice and steady! Good luck with doing the shred ~ you and Laura will be able to support each other! :wink:

Sue - there will always be bumps along the road we travel ~ we just have to watch for them (says me who has tripped over so many of them already)! :tongue:

Barbie - where do you keep your exercise bike? Do you bike while both you and DH are watching shows, or do you do it elsewhere?

Carolyn, there seems to be a lot of sad news around you lately. This can bring emotional eating to the forefront for sure ~ take care.

Amanda - did you manage to do that 8 mile trek?

Michelle - what terrible news! Very sad... :cry:

jb - glad your 'fall' didn't cause too much harm and it sounds like you're back on track again. It can be a very precarious road we walk to reach our goal ~ be careful!

Michele - what types of things to you do at the Green Room? It sounds like fun!

Lila - how wonderful to have an author in your family! You must be bursting with pride!! I'd be interested in knowing what her subject focus is. I'm assuming her first book has already been published ~ is it available?

Eileen - wonderful news about your son! :smile:

janehadji - one of our dogs is a lab ~ they definitely don't do 'dress up' very well! :tongue:

Laura - I commend you on sticking with the shred! It sounds like you really don't have a choice when you do your workout because you work all day. Do you think it would help to make lunch your primary meal? Be careful with the Chinese food this evening. I'd say 'choose wisely' for the sodium, but there's really no good way to get around it.

Jane - hope your DD gets quick relief for her ear infections. Has she suffered with them all her life?

Kathy - good for you to be down a pant size! My waist has always been a trouble spot for me and it seems that no matter how much I lose, that always my widest area! :tongue:

LindaSundance - you really seem to be getting the run around with the system with respect to your wrist! I hope everything works out in your favor sooner than later. There's really not much you can do about the med-induced weight fluctuations you've been experiencing. I'm glad you're taking it all in stride. :heart:

Viv - I see that you're also doing the 30 Day Shred ~ how long has it been for you? It seems to be quite the popular workout! Hope you are you taking meds for the jaw pain.

Gail - enjoy your massage!

Robin - your upcoming trip sounds wonderful albeit SO full of activity! You'll definitely need some recovery time when you return. :yawn:

Lin - wow, such a mess with your father's situation! I went through a bit of this when my DM was in LTC, but the 'issues' finally started leveling off. Sadly, she passed away in February :cry: but during her stay the caregivers were very good to her.

Well, I'd best get started on my day. I must have slept funny on my hand last night ~ it's sore today. :grumble:

Deborah:flowerforyou:

OMG, I missed a page!!

katejkelley - Happy Belated Birthday!

jb - love the latest pics you posted! I use photobucket as well and am happy with the recent updates.

Micki - sorry to hear about your friend's DH and her DM as well. :cry: Sending prayers and strength her way...

Rileyred - Happy Birthday!!

Okay, NOW I think I'm done... :laugh:
  • wilmawm
    wilmawm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'd love to join your group!
    Here are my goals for the rest of November:
    * No binging, no excuses!
    * Work on de-cluttering (physical and mental) at least 15 minutes a day

Have a great weekend everybody. :)
    Mo
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My, but we are a talkative group today! I love reading all of the posts. As per Murphy's Law, since I almost never get invited to parties, I have two to attend today. The first is a 30th birthday party at a tea shop this afternoon, followed by a buffet 50th birthday party tonight. I just pedaled an hour on my recumbent bike to earn a few extra calories, and will try hard to make good choices. I'm going by myself, since hubby and I are still not speaking beyond the necessary.

Laura80111 -- Good job shooting the pumpkin -- I had to laugh! :laugh: I once shot a TV set that my brother hauled out to a ravine for that purpose (it no longer worked, but was symbolic). I hope you enjoy your dinners with family and friends!

Cathyb60 -- I hope that your talk with your self-sabotager went well!

DeeDee -- Sea bass sounds wonderful -- I'm jealous. Hope it was great!

Barbie -- Your soup recipe sounds great. I've never really cooked with squash before, but will have to give it a try.

Lila -- How wonderful that your daughter is so well-thought of in her profession that they want her to write the texts! I've always thought that the farmed salmon had a better flavor than the wild, but I didn't realize they had significantly different calorie counts. My cousin gave me a lot that he caught in Alaska, but I really don't like it very much.

Linda Sundance -- It sounds like you're going through a very frustrating and stressful process. I'm not sure why they develop so many procedures instead of just taking care of you after so many years of service! They're just going to have to pay for the ulcers they cause on top of it. :tongue: I hope they resolve things quickly. I'm sure that the weight fluctuations are just water from the meds, so try to ignore them, or maybe just not weigh until you're finished with them.

Viv -- Having the tooth pulled sounded painful. I'm sorry!

Gail -- You did a terrific job on your October goals -- keep up the good work!

Robin -- Have you been to Kauai before? The island is inundated with colorful Bantam roosters! They escaped during a hurricane many years back and just proliferated. I would recommend a catamaran cruise around the Napoli Coast, and also visiting the dry caves on the Eastern side.

Lin -- I don't blame you for being frustrated and concerned about your dad! It sounds like an amazingly incompetent place. Do you have any alternatives? I would report the medication mix-up, as that is just plain dangerous. I hope that things fall into place soon.

Katejkelley -- I'm sorry about the deaths in your family. Congratulations to you on maintaining through all of that.

JB -- Cute dog pictures!

Barbara -- I'm glad you figured out the Zumba on the Wii. Of course you want the positive feedback from the system!

4thoseiluv -- What a great aunt you are! It's so sad when nobody celebrates a child's birthday, even if he is an older child. He still needs that attention and love. I laughed at your "wifely duty" to wake your husband in the night! :laugh:
  • scompton54
    Options
    I wasn't around for October goals but my goals for November are

Log Daily. I have got out of the habit and I find I just forget

Keep up with the gym at least four times a week. September and the beginning of October were busy and I didn't make time for the gym. It's amazing how much strength and tone one can lose in 6 weeks.

Start back with yoga.

Cut back on the wine!!

regards

Sarah
  • shirleynieman
    Options
    Hi Barbie!
    I live in East Tennessee and joined MFP just this past October. My son clued me into it and we have been each others watchdog. I had already lost 15lbs before signing up with MFP, but in the month of October I fluctuated a bit with my weight due to poor food choices while vacationing.

My November Goals:

- Be consistent
    - Walk 50 miles
    - Amp up exercise
    - Lose 6lbs

:smile:
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. So far so good. Today is cleaning day and I'm taking a break (a rather long one) to get online and have a late lunch.
    It's getting too cold too fast for my liking. It's a dreary day here too. Tomorrow we are closing up our deck for the year...a very sad day for me as we love to sit out there in the evenings during the nice weather. I'll probably be going out to eat when we're done. I'm getting a little nervous about eating out, since I've really been doing well with my calorie intake. Wish me luck tomorrow!:smile:
  • hathor1943
    hathor1943 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to this post and have new goals for November. I had RNY bypass surgery 12/30/2009 and have lost 151 pounds since then but have started eating what I should not be eating due to stress. So, my goals for November and your support will help me get back on track. I would like to lose 30 pounds and I am really determined to do it.
    NOVEMBER GOALS:

DO NOT eat when not hungry. Drink some water instead.
    Go to "Silver Sneakers" exercise program 3x's a week
    Exercise 3 other days a week besides Silver Sneakers.
    Log everyday on MFP.
    Try really hard to eat "healthy".
    Get all my protein in each day. 75 grams daily.
    Find something to be happy for each day.
    Smile.
    Be thankful for all God has given me.
    Resist temptation from foods not on the program.
    Stay focused.

OMG, I didn't realize how many goals I have...
    I know I can do this, I just needed to write it down and be held accountable. Posting these goals will help me I'm sure and with all of your support, I will accomplish it.

This is a great message board, it will help us all.

Thanks,
    Elaine
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, I just had to log in to share my excitement, I broke 140 finally. I am so happy I could dance (where’s that Barbie when you need to dance!!!!)
    Anyway, reading the posts and I can’t believe how we all connect, even though most of us only have a photo to go on. Some lucky ones have met in person though. We should have a big conference some day.

For those of you looking at my ticker, the back photo is the beautiful prairies somewhere in the range of Saskatchewan/Alberta border. The golden is canola in bloom (or so I was told) and the front blue is flax (sign in the field told me that). When I was travelling across (I love cross Canada road trips and have done it a few times now), I was absolutely blown away by the prairie beauty and photos just don’t capture the warmth of the sun, the fresh smell of the breeze and the beauty of the natural surroundings. As it is getting to be winter here, I needed to remember how summer feels every once in awhile.

I’ve been watching the coverage and photos of the Eastern Seaboard. My heart goes out to all those who are dealing with a challenge they had no idea of the scope of to start with. Gas shortages, traffic issues, storm debris, flooding, arghh! The best quote I saw was “only 900,000 people left without power now”. That’s a third of our largest city here in Canada. And we thought we were hard done by when we lost power for a couple of days in the summer – wow! Katrina in the south a few years ago, Sandy on the east coast, all you need is a Pacific quake – oh no, I did not just say that – recall, recall, recall! I don’t even want that out in the ether. (I guess down deep I am still superstitious.)

Linda – you must be so frustrated trying to deal with the compensation issue. Of course it is work related, sounds like your insurance adjuster is in the dark ages when it comes to workers’ compensation research (investigation – HA!) So great that your daughter helped you with the typing (I guess that’s keyboarding in newspeak).

Viv – hope the gum heals quickly, any kind of dental extraction is unpleasant, but luckily our bodies heal quickly in that area usually. Be very cautious about bleeding and infection possibilities though until it is more healed.

Gail – sounds like you are right on track with all of your goals. Thanksgiving in VA sounds wonderful. I’m toying with the idea of going south of the border and experiencing Black Friday for the first (and probably last) time.

Jb – thanks for the link to the photo posting, I’ve copied it to my desktop for quick reference. I’m going to post a photo of my fur family, hopefully tomorrow. (Rugby in his buggy shows that heeler spirit for sure, and T is absolutely adorable, I’ve always loved terriers.)

DeeDee – do you nails and extra time for me – I can never seem to wait quite long enough for the drying and end up with little wrinkles in the finish from doing things I shouldn’t have before the drying was complete (wow, that is a total run-on sentence). Enjoy the coffee visit.

Robin – Kauai, how exciting. I spent a month there 30 years ago (know exactly when because I was pregnant with my oldest). Have you been before? I should go again to see how much it’s changed in that whole lifetime. You sound like a very active and connected family. I ziplined in the Yucatan a couple of years ago and it was such a rush. Poor DD1 broke the brake stick so had a bit of a rough landing.

Lin – OMG what a disorganized situation, I don’t blame you for being so frustrated. You’d think someone in Admin would have figured out how to do an orientation package for families by now. Good luck finding all the stuff you need in such a short time.

Jonibc – welcome and I like the way your profile picture fits your goal for next summer. Come and visit often and jump right in!
    Wow, MFP just shut down on me totally – pfft, gone!. Good thing I had this post in Word – ha, take that gremlins!

Katejkelley – welcome and well done keeping on track during a difficult and busy month. And happy belated birthday .

Barbara – welcome back, did I just mid your posts or were you away for awhile? No rest for the wicked, we had a wind that brought down the last of my Maple leaves so I will be raking leaves again today (last time for the season, hopefully).

Red – Happy birthday and welcome to the “new 40.”

Deborah – sounds like your night out was really good. You are a good aunt to recognize the nephew’s birthday like that.

Elaine - impressive loss and good for you for getting back on track before the weight creeps back. And we're all here for mutual support and advice and a sympathetic ear. Sometimes others in our lives get tired of our focus on weight loss, so it's nice to have a group that are all on the same path.

JaneH – I’m very proud of DD1 obviously (and DD2 as well). I just wish I actually understood post-modernist construct and power theory better. I definitely feel both of my daughters may have surpassed my ability to share in their career passions now because I don’t have that specialized knowledge. I guess we can still discuss and debate social policy without getting into the details.

OK, got to go, I’ve turned a deaf ear to the leaves calling my name until now, but I want to get it over and head off to coffee with a friend in the next town this afternoon. So –better get my rear in gear.

Hoping everyone has a good day and treats themselves and others well.
    Bye for now
    Lila
  • 4thoseiluv
    4thoseiluv Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Rugby, aka "Buggy" Blue Heeler, in his "buggy" when he suffered a torn meniscus a few years ago. I walked him every day for 5 months in his wheels, then one day when I strapped him in, he reached around and bit at it, as if to say "Get me out of this!" which I did immediately and never made him use it again. He could only walk slowly for 10 minutes without the wheels at first, but he's built up his strength over time and now he's able to trot alongside me for a good 30-45.

jb, what a little trooper he is! Where there's a will, there's a way...:heart:

Deborah:flowerforyou:
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    pics221.jpg

This is Noel in one of her coats!
  • optigal
    optigal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump for later when I have more time :laugh:
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What a great forum! Thank you,Barbie!

My thoughts and goals:

Prepare for the holidays with the least amount of stress I can accomplish
    Stay on my eating plan and exercise regiment so I can "breeze" through the holidays eating wise
    Be kind each day to someone who is in need of support or help.
    Meditate more often
    Be the best Maria I can be

Wow I feel great now after thinking and writing.
    Best of Luck,Ladies