WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• jackihf3
    jackihf3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just found this board and it has my name written all over it. I would love to join you ladies! I am new on MFP and still trying to find my way around. Is there a way to 'bookmark' this group so I can easily find you on my mobile app?
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone that has daylight savings time got to enjoy the extra hour of sleep!:smile: Quiet day today but did get my stretching in this am and even convinced my DH to go on a short walk with me and the dogs!:happy: Speaking of which love seeing everyone's dog and cat pics on here.

Stardancer-Sorry for your loss!

Robin-Think I'll take a page out of your book and clean out a desk drawer today! Unfortunately, most of them are junk
    drawers!:grumble: At least I did clean all the receipts out of my purse today. They always seem to multiply when I'm not
    looking!:laugh:

Take care,

Kathy
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi dear ladies

:flowerforyou: Just a quick post whilst waiting for X Factor results.

:flowerforyou: Michele sorry to have worried you. but I'm sure you will be fine - I'm feeling much better today, just a bit of jaw ache that's all.

:love: Love all the pics of the pets, they look so happy. Our poor Tara dog is not a happy doggie tonight,, she's scared of all the fireworks going off - it's not bonfire night until tomorrow, but it's been a noisy weekend. It doesn't seem to bother the cats though, they are fast asleep. Frankie too is asleep, it's just Tara - poor thing.

:embarassed: I've gone well over my calories today, and need to confess didn't do my 30 day shred either. I meant to do it today, I felt much better so no excuse, but not sure what happened. Will defintely get back to tomorrow. I plan my week days with military precision, otherwise I don't get everything done and I'm late for work. Weekends I tend to relax and go on the computer - So that's what happened this morning :embarassed: Tomorrow is another day I WILL do better tomorrow.

:drinker: X Factor results is on, not sure who will be voted off this week, there's a few that I like but I hope both groups stay in.

:smile: Have a good Sunday what is left of it.

Viv xx
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I am 50 and will be 51 in January. You all sound awesome! As you can see I am just getting started and have a way to go.
    My husband and I are taking a short trip to Colorado this month, so it will be a small eating challenge for me, but overall I plan to do well. My November goals are: To walk 50 miles this month; to lose 4 lbs this month, to have a fun Thanksgiving, finish my Christmas shopping list, and stay ever-thankful!
  • tbear60
    Options
    Give Hearts at Home, in Bloomington, IL a try for some tips on motivating your children. Jill Savage is FULL of great info and the organization is a wonderful group of ladies! :happy:
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed both parties yesterday, and met a lot of new people. After some really wild guesstimating, I think I was over for the day by around 400 calories, not too bad for two food-oriented events. It was tempting not to try recording the food at all since I was uncertain (mostly homemade casseroles and hard to know what was in them), but I persevered and now feel good for having made the effort instead of letting it go. I didn't want to break my recording momentum. I'm totally back on track today. :smile:

So many cute animal photos in the thread! Welcome to so many newbies! :flowerforyou: I'm surprised by how many "jane's" there are now, as I've almost never met any. I guess it was a popular name in the '50s. :smile:

Elaine Hathor1943 -- I liked your goals and I hope you enjoy being a part of our thread.

Lila -- That's wonderful that you broke 140 -- huge congratulations! :bigsmile:

DeeDee -- Is that a new profile picture of you? Nice smile! Noel looked great in her red coat -- with fur trim, no less!

MissJanet55 -- Excellent question, whether to keep eating when you aren't hungry.... I'm sure some of the more experienced people may have better advice than me, but I think I'd say yes, as long as it's healthy food and you aren't exceeding your daily calories. I think that it's important to eat close to your allotted calories in order to lose weight, otherwise you'll stall. I also think that lean protein is important for weight loss, and you need the fiber and vitamins in the veggies. I'll be interested to see what others think about this!

yoyonomore55 -- What a pretty dog!

Eileen -- So glad that you got to see your son, safe and sound, if only for a short visit.

Michele -- That's terrific that your daughter has applied for vet school and wants to better herself through more education. You have every right to be very proud! :love:

Dawnhot -- Great photo -- I had a dog as a child who loved that same upside down pose.

Bernadette -- 93 lbs. down is a tremendous accomplishment! I know that you can lose the rest if you just keep plugging away at it. I just came off a 6 week plateau myself, so I know how you feel. I finally upped both calories and exercise for a short while to change things up, then went back to my regular routine. It worked for me.

Nancy Cardfanzz -- You just need to believe in yourself and take one step at a time. You can do it! Post on this thread and we'll help by believing in you also. :flowerforyou:

Stardancer7 -- I'm so sorry to hear of your father-in-law's passing. And sorry about what's happening with your daughter's job. It doesn't seem very understanding on the restaurant's part. I hope that she comes through this stronger and wiser for the experience, but I know it's hard at her age.

Linda Sundance -- Have a great time at the family reunion. What fun!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!All.
    Stardancer,sorry for your loss.Hope your daughter gets her job back.
    Welcome newbies.
    I too am amazed how many Janes there are.When I was in school there was 1 other jane in grade school and H.s
    Don`t hear many now a days.
    Have a good sun!
    Hugs
    jane m,
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Stardancer - sorry about your FIL and your daughter's situation. Hopefully that will turn around for her. WIth 2 dishwashers at least you have plenty of space to put things to dry after rinsing. (Time to use disposables until the hook up is done!)

DH and I got all the plants in the ground in the back yard today and are watering right now. We are putting soaker hoses on the ground and then the mulch will go on top of that. Mulching still to be done, but getting all the plants in was a big task. We were out there about 4 hours. It looks so much better and once the mulch is down I'll attempt pictures. Blueberries for the sideyard are not yet planted, but then their bed is not prepared.

I'm knitting several cowls for Christmas gifts. Once Caroline-blue for my SIL, a multi-green one for my DS and a multi-teal/blues for my sister-from-another-mother. I also want to do one for myself, but we'll get gifts done first. I found a beautiful red yarn at JoAnn's yesterday.

Don't know if I'll get to cooking for the week today or not - I'm pretty tired after the yardwork. And maybe the time change is part of my indifference....

Blessings to all...
    Gail
  • 7djt
    7djt Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or should the most recent posts be in the front and not in the back?? Oh well....

November goals are about gratitude:

Grateful for my family and friends -- ~30 minutes of exercise 4 x week
    Grateful for my MFP friends -- ~ 5 days of offering encouragement to others
    Grateful for my current health -- ~ 30 minutes of exercise 4 x week
    Grateful that i can change my life -- 1 act of random kindness each day

I am grateful that my God loves me, in spite of all my shortcomings - best wishes to you all on your respective journeys:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of training games on the Wii today. I'm going to put the Wii Zumba on my wish list from Amazon. I'm trying using the wish list this year to give to the kids for ideas for Christmas gifts for me. I'll just go with the basic zuma, not the Zumba2. The basic one is less expensive

Bernadette - welcome, and happy anniversary

Worked on the landscaping some today. For 5 hours I was rakeing rocks, putting them in a dump cart and then taking them to the back of the property to dump. At first I felt that that was my least-liked landscsaping job, but it's really not. The reason I felt that way is probably because the first time I had to do it was on a slope by the side of our house. On level ground, it's really not all that bad. It's hard to tell if things are level or not. Put my "work" clothes in the wash, they were filthy! Well, I was stirring up a lot of the red clay (why can't we have decent dirt and not this red clay stuff?)

Nancy - welcome, your goals sound very achievable.

stardancer - so sorry to hear about you FIL. How terrible for your daughter. I know my daughter has a boss who is always threatening to fire her, but he knows that he has a good employee in her.

katla - welcome! I do different exercises, how about some DVD's? I have yoga ones, pilates ones, step ones, walking ones, weight training ones, etc, etc.

hey there jackih and daworley

tomorrow I'll do some yoga at home and then go to the extremepump class.

jane - lately I've been in the "oh, I don't really need to log that nibble"mode, but I know deep down that I do need to. Yes, it is so hard to even guesstimate the calories when you don't know what the dish was made with. Good for you persevering!

Well, ladies, I really should be working on the coasters, but to be honest, I'm tired, probably from all that rakeing. Rakeing rocks is hard work to me. So I think I'm going to hit the hay.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Evening Fabulous Ladies!

I really enjoyed having an extra hour today. After the morning Turbo Jam workout I was able to do a little cleaning and cooking for the week. Made some very yummy spinach lasagna rolls for dinner and was surprised DH enjoyed them! Got the recipe from my go to website Skinnytaste. Had enough leftovers for lunch and another dinner this week!

I actually posted a pound weight loss for this first time in a while. It was a long time coming. Had a NSV Saturday when I was able to wear some khaki pants I had not worn for at least a year. Slow and steady progress!

Made it through the rough patches this week...Life is sure a roller coaster sometimes....Think I had an extra dose of hormones in addition to the rain clouds...LOL

Congrats to those with successes this week. Hang in there to those struggling.This too shall pass. Tomorrow is a new day! For those facing health challenges and personal losses, my prayers are with you.

Take care,
    Carolyn
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Welcome to everyone new! MissJanet, nursemmr38, lizzie,, calmrose, Red, Debbe2, BeeRobin, cardfanzz, jackiehf3, daworley, Katla49, and anyone I've missed. Fun place to post here, hope you'll keep coming back.

Katla49, I see you mentioned you're in NW Oregon. I'm in Portland.

Love the doggie and kitty pics! Dawnshot, I had a good chuckle with seeing Busta, lol! Dogs love that upside-down-dog pose, don't they!

DeeDee, I meant to mention earlier how nice it is to see your smiling face! :happy: Great pic. Fun putting a face with a name.

Bernadette (BeeRobin), you've lost 93 pounds, wow! Congrats and keep up the great work!

Michele, I'm still in my filthy work clothes, thanks for reminding me to get them in the wash and put on something more comfy. I worked at pruning our horrible hedge all afternoon today. Glad that's done! Not a fun chore.

Tomorrow I'll start taking down the garden. We still have broccoli, cabbage, kale, chard, beets, carrots and lettuce, but it's time cut down the summer things and add them to the compost heap. I picked the last of the raspberries today, brought home a nice head of cabbage, carrots, and some red chard.

I'm beat. Time to sip some more wine and relax a bit!

:smile: jb
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I am totally exhausted tonight:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: ! I guess it`s the time change, I just call it dark thirty now:angry: ! I feel like I`ve been up for two days:frown: , it will probably take me a few days to get used to this one hour difference:frown: ! Anyhow, I will try to reply tomorrow, when hopefully I`ll be able to type without typos every few words, I think it`s taken me 30 minutes for this short post!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: ! Come in often and chat with us!

Sleep well and sweet dreams! Until tomorrow.....

Hug:flowerforyou: s,
    DeeDee:yawn:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options

Barbie - where do you keep your exercise bike? Do you bike while both you and DH are watching shows, or do you do it elsewhere?

:bigsmile: our new recumbent bike sits right in the middle of the living room facing the big TV.....it's not in the way of where I sit at the dining room table to watch TV or where Jake sits in his recliner or where the dogs sit on the couch....we take turns riding and watching TV......we have headphones for the TV i case one of us wants to watch TV and ride the bike while the other is on the phone or reading. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    Options

barbie - I just ran the recipe for the butternut apple soup thru my mastercook. For 6 servings, it came back with 115 calories each serving. As I recall, your original was something like 81 calories, how many servings was that for? After I made the soup, I wasn't too crazy about the cumin so I added a bit of cinnamon. I think next time I'll just do away with the cumin and use only cinnamon. The soup will come in handy this week.

when I put the recipe in to the recipe section on MFP I called the recipe four servings and it said 176 calories per serving.....all the ingredients are pretty low calorie so you have a huge bowl for very few calories.

:bigsmile: Barbie
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Jb-thanks for the link. I will be working on it.:wink:

Wizzwig- Sorry you are not feeling well. I know its always hard getting teeth pulled and worked on. I hope you progress well and feel better soon.:heart:

Linda Sundance- I understand so well how medications can mess with your weight. Don’t be hard on yourself or stress about it. It will come back off. I will be in prayer for your situation. It really gets me steamed up when insurance companies and employers don’t support their employees. You deserve much better.:flowerforyou:

Lin- so sorry you are having such a frustrating time getting your dad situated in the new facility. I am always disappointed with the care the elderly are giving in Assisted Living homes. I hope you can get everything worked out.

Katejkelley- So sorry for the losses you have had in the past few weeks. Happy Belated Birthday

RileyRed- Happy Birthday

4thoseuluv- I am sure your nephew really appreciated your thoughtfulness.

Elaine- WOW! 157 pounds, you are awesome. I know you can lose that 30 pounds too.:flowerforyou:

Sasha- so proud of your victory, WOOHOO!!:heart::heart: :drinker: :drinker:

DeeDee- what a cutie.:happy:

Dawnshot- love the dog. :laugh:

Stardancer7-Sorry for your loss.

Welcome all newbies. I know you will get lots of support and laughs on this thread.:flowerforyou:

Well, its been a long day. I woke up at 5:30:grumble: , and couldn’t go back to sleep. Found out that hubby had not set the clocks back so it was actually 4:30 a.m.(:grumble: :angry: no wonder I am tired):yawn: . I have been chilled through today, just can’t seem to get warm. That is unusual for me. I am usually having power surges like crazy. I got to the gym and worked out for a couple of hours. And even that didn’t warm me up for long. Think I will go to be early. :yawn: :yawn:

Good thoughts and hugs to all.:heart::heart: :flowerforyou:

Jolene
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I love soup and Butternut apple sounds interesting. Where is the recipe posted?
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My post just disappeared- ugh:angry::angry:

NSV- went to the gym b 4 the family reunion. I read all of your posts and said I am going to the gym first!!!!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker:

I only ate some roterrissi chicken breast and some of my quinoa salad. Was not even tempted by the desserts or food.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Thanks for all the support with my work comp insurance co. I will hopefully find out more to tomorrow! :sad:

Welcome to all the new ladies,:flowerforyou:

DD#2 having oral surgery in the am, have to be there at 0745.:noway: :noway:

Heres to a self loving and nurturing week!:heart:
    Hugs- Linda
  • o2bfit3
    o2bfit3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    Here to set some goals for November.
    1) be honest when logging
    2) walk 30 minutes daily
    3) strength training 2 x week
    4) plan to succeed
  • barbiecat
    Options
    I love soup and Butternut apple sounds interesting. Where is the recipe posted?

Apple-butternut squash (or pumpkin) soup

1 medium onion, diced
    1 butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped (cut in half and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees for easier peeling and chopping) or equivalent amount of pumpkin
    3 red or golden apples, cored and chopped
    1½ teaspoons ground cumin
    ½ teaspoon ground ginger
    ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
    2½ cups water, plus more if needed

1. Put onion and squash in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add chicken stock, cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.

2. Add apples, cumin, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and the water (just enough to cover). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.

3. Puree in batches in a food processor or blender until smooth or don’t puree and just serve it chunky, and return to saucepan. Heat for a little longer, thinning with more water if necessary.

4. To serve, ladle into shallow bowls; garnish with diced apples, jalapeno slices, and sour cream if desired.

I buy pumpkins and squash in the fall and bake them and freeze the meat in quart ziplock bags so I have easy to use squash or pumpkin for the soup and make my own applesauce and freeze it (I live in Washington where so many people have apple trees and are begging their friends to take apples) so it’s easy for me to make this with what I have in the freezer and don’t have to start from scratch each time.

:bigsmile: I finally caught up reading all the posts....I've had two busy days filled with cooking and a festive Gratitude Dinner event

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington