WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    YAY!! Looks like I did it. Ok, so I have something else I have been wanting to share with everyone. I hope you like it.

StayYoung1.gif
    stayYoung2.gif
    StayYoung3.gif
    Publication2.gif
    StayYoungMyFriends.gif
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    @sorry all was just trying to say cool love this and my lack of computer ability comes out once more but very cute. Love it!!!:smile::smile:
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm from south east PA. Glad to find this forum--looking forward to getting to know you all!:flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lila, part of my morning dog walk takes us down a path bordered by extremely tall trees that are dropping giant leaves……we walk through deep piles of leaves and I think of you raking….one of the blessings of my neighborhood is that we have lovely areas like this and I don’t have to rake the leaves

:bigsmile: Laura, Peanut in his costume was so cute I called Jake over to look at it and he loved it too.

:flowerforyou: I recently read a book called “168 Hours”. It refers to the number of hours in a week and is about making better use of your time. I read it quickly because the focus was on people with very demanding jobs and families and I don’t fit that profile. But I gained a lot by reading the book because it suggests keeping track of how you spend your time so you can look at ways to put the most important things first, shift your schedule to allow chunks of time for the things you want to do, stop doing things that are time wasters, get clear on what is most important, and become aware of things you like to do that will fit into small blocks of time that are available to you.

:flowerforyou: Teachers are masters at having a bag of mini-lessons for any amount of time that becomes available. Some people recognize that they spend their evenings relaxing in front of TV or computer but if they go to bed an hour earlier, the extra hour in the morning gets used for exercise or quality time with spouse or children or getting to work earlier to get important jobs done when the office is quiet. Others go to work an hour later after realizing that the first hour at the office is generally spent gossiping and eating doughnuts.

:flowerforyou: Exercise challenges like 100 squats a day or those of you who walk up or down several flights of steps to go the rest room or connect with a colleague know how to fit exercise into little pieces of time that would otherwise be frittered.

:flowerforyou: Making choices about what is important determines how you use your time. Many of my friends on MFP say nice things about all the exercise I do, but along with all the exercise is the deliberate choices I’ve made to spend less time on the computer or doing housework or shopping….they are my choices and they may not be the choices of others.

:flowerforyou: Each of us has the same 168 hours and the same opportunity to choose what to do with the time….I think it is great food for thought. We all know about the challenge of budgeting our time…….the Thin Commandments Diet taught me about budgeting my calories and now I’m thinking about budgeting my time.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all the new posters…this is a great place…..keep coming back and never, never, never give up.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for November
    *yoga once a week
    *weight training three days a week
    *recumbent bike 60 minutes a day
    *say “OK”---be agreeable
    *stay in the moment
    *Be Barbie

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

“The disturbers of happiness are our desires, our griefs, and our fears.”
    -Samuel Johnson
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have been making my daily step and mileage goals and getting out on my bike. Still running just a bit above on my calories for the week but am very close. Next week I hope to be under. I only need to loose one more pounds to be at my goal but that last pound just refuses to leave.
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,502 Member
    Options
    Good night, lovelies!

:flowerforyou: Welcome jo, curlieq5, gwenmf, lori, jeannel114, marymickaela, rosesigil and any other newbies I missed.
    :love: dancingj2, dawnshot, DeeDee, emg522, Robin, Laura, Rose, janehadji, jolenec, janem, tigress, mommie55, genealace, c0c0nn0r, mary mch1956, Liz, read all your posts, thanks!
    :heart: Gail thanks for the cowl link, lucky SIL!
    :flowerforyou: ConVERYGrats LindaSundanceB!
    :devil: Kathyszoo, how very frustrating and worrisome. Next time DH says he's worried you'll leave him because you're losing weight, and he's not, maybe tell him you're worried he'll leave you and the earth because he won't take care of his body. Tigress is right, no one can make another choose health, they must want it for themselves. :sad:
    :love: Cheryl your "before" looks pretty darned good to me!
    :heart: Joanie aren't home grown carrots just the sweetest? Roasted I bet they taste like candy!
    :flowerforyou: Barbie "... “168 Hours”. . . about making better use of your time. . . look at ways to put the most important things first, shift your schedule to allow chunks of time for the things you want to do, stop doing things that are time wasters, get clear on what is most important, and become aware of things you like to do that will fit into small blocks of time that are available to you." Thanks for the recommendation. Sounds like the tools I need. Recently stopped doing the full blown wii body test in favor of the quick test except on weigh-in Mondays. Was wasting potential exercise time just so I could choose a different stamp.:noway: DOH!

:embarassed: Got a text from a friend to call her mom. Did. Friendmom asked me to come and fix her computer. Felt resentful :grumble: toward friend, she hasn't called once since my surgery,:noway: texted twice counting this time, and one time asked her mom to call me. Wonder if when her mom called, was it was to ask for the computer fix, but she chickened out? Confided in DH that I was struggling spiritually. :devil: Know I want to do good, be a better person, but felt manipulated, didn't feel like helping. Had to be a little cautious as DH can be quite protective :wink: of me and didn't want him to do anything rash. He really listened and was supportive of whatever I chose to do. After struggling awhile I got up and went to help. On the way I asked the Spirit to change how I felt, even though Pastor says love:heart: is not how you feel but what you do. While I was there working I saw:glasses: a little more of where my friend was coming from, how her ways are from nowhere strange :wink: . Something the mom said decided me to skip Scottish Country Dancing one more week, wasn't comfortable showing up with two shiners and bruises :sick: down to my chin. WILL go to Wednesday night line dance class if not too pooped:yawn: from first day back to work. Can laugh at myself:laugh: with the wonderful warm :heart: people there. Was able to restore wireless network connection but not improve the horrible slowness, think there's a virus:huh: . As I was leaving, the mom said "I'll leave it to (my friend) to work out how much she owes you." My automatic reaction was "She owes me nothing. :noway: I'll never forget how she took me in when I showed up in her driveway with my two dogs and all my worldly posessions." And it was true! I felt and still do feel grateful. :heart: I wasn't insulted. :noway: I felt great. :happy: Go figure! :smile: You'd think by aget 62 I'd have this stuff figured out,:tongue: but noooooooo.... :noway: :ohwell: Keep getting more chances to learn...:wink:

g'night all,,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day

2012: dance more, bark less and check in!!!
    November: back to basics

SWSY or matminutes: 5=0 4=0 3=0 2=0 1=0 :tongue:
    steps: 5=4702 worser and worser :mad: 4=5426 3=6461 2=9220 1=8809
  • scompton54
    Options
    I am an empty nester and NEED MOTIVATION!,,I find myself just sitting around. I know i should get up and ride my exercise bike (which is staring at me right now!) Hoping this group will help me stay motivated

I am also an empty nester and live alone. I discovered meetup.com last winter and joined a number of groups to do stuff with including biking, hiking, skating as well as dinners out and theatre/movie nights. It's usually free or from $5-$10 to join per group. Well worth the price
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`m going to see if I have time to catch up the rest of the posts:bigsmile:

Carolyn:smile: Congrats on that pound coming off!!! And the pants that now fit:flowerforyou: !!!

Jb:smile: Thanks to your posting of how to post pics, I finally got my face on here:laugh: . Thanks for that recipe, I LOVE carrot soup:love: , and I`m excited to try this new recipe!!!!

O2bfit3:smile: Welcome! Goals look good!!!

Barbie:smile: A festive Gratitude dinner event...sounds delightful!!!! That sounds like a great book, may just have to find the time to read it!

Lila:smile: Yay, the raking is done!!!! Would love to see a pic of the cloche hat, actually the whole outfit , it sounds really nice! You did go back and get the pants, right?

Dawnshot:smile: Sounds like you`ve been busy with exercise!

Curliq5Lori:smile: Welcome! Pop in here often, you`ll get lots of motivation!!!

Gwen:smile: Welcome! Looking forward to the pic of Lil Bit!

Janehadji:smile: Good for you ordering the salmon ahead of time!!! Hope your Dr. appt. went well!!!

Laura:smile: Peanut is sooooo cute:love: !!!!! Hope you find the top of your desk while boss is out of office!

Jolene:smile: What an adorable little bumble bee!!! She is just precious:love: !!! Love "How To Stay Young"!!!

Lori:smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat with us!!!

JaneMartin:smile: Glad your back and knee is feeling better!!!

Tigress:smile: Happy anniversary early:flowerforyou: !!!

Mommie55:smile: So glad to see you back here!!! Glad you`re doing better!!!:flowerforyou:

Jeannel:smile: Welcome!!! Pop in anytime and just start chatting!!!

Kathy:smile: As others have said...you can`t make him change, he`ll have to want to do it:cry::brokenheart: . I agree with Barbara about telling him you don`t want him leaving you too early:sad: !!!!

Cheryl:smile: That oufit brings back memories:laugh: , you look good in it though!!! Just think how much better you`ll look in 30 days, Woo hoo!!!!!

Michele:smile: Yay, I`m excited too!!!! We`ll have fun!

Mary:smile: How wonderful of you to embrace the positive!!! Sometimes that`s hard to do!

Marymickaela:smile: Welcome!!! Jump right in and start chatting!!!

Liz:smile: I used to love to host parties, we always had them catered because, well....I`m just not a good cook:laugh: , actually I don`t like to cook:noway: , I wish I did:embarassed: !!!! Sounds like you got lots of walking in, wonderful!!!

Rosesigil:smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat with us!!!

Dancingj2:smile: One more pound to go....Yay!!! You`ll get it off, they say the last to go is the hardest!!!

Barbara:smile: As always...great post!!!

Hope I didn`t leave anyone out, if I did I apologize...I have read all the posts!!!!!!
    I need to take the doggie out for her walk, I`ve got a hair appt. at 9:30 this morning:bigsmile: . I always feel better once those pesky grey roots are covered up:laugh: . My hair grows so fast too, good thing it`s blonde and not dark, I`d be touching up every few days:blushing: . Hope all you lovely beauties have a fabulous Tuesday!!!!
    Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    Good morming everyone! I'm back from the gym and ready for work..
    Have to say I love all your pet photos-they are adorable.

Mary how do you like the Fitbit? I've been thinking about purchasing one.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good morning to one and all -- I like to check in before work and catch up on the overnight posts so I don't get too far behind!

We're supposed to have rain today and I'm hoping for a light steady one all day long to water all those new plants that went in over the weekend. We'll work on the blueberry area next weekend, mulch things in and that should make it all complete. Hurray!

Welcome to all the new posters and the lurkers who haven't posted yet. This is such a fun thread. Rather like sitting around a kitchen table in a house where the back door keeps opening and more friends come in.

See you tonight!
    Gail
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Just dropping by to mark my place. One more cup of tea and I'm off to vote. Tigress
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    WOW!, I'm a little behind, need to mark my spot while I catch up!

Lynn
  • Junglejoyce
    Junglejoyce Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

How is everyone doing with their November goals. I'm doing pretty well. Been exercising daily...my goal was 5 x a week. I'm getting ready to work out here in about an hour. water, good. Pop...well not down to 1 can a day...but not more than 2. Been logging in all my food and I have been getting on MFP daily. My motivation is high right now and I am feeling good.

Thank you all for being here.:heart:

Don't forget to vote today.:bigsmile:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Ok DeeDee, I hope you're right.

AuntieK - remember - this "before" is after losing 19 pounds in the last few months. If I could have put these on 3 months ago, my "before" would have been a lot uglier.

My husband and I each did the 30 day shred separately last night because he had to go to a boyscout meeting first. I was surprised that some things I found very easy. Anything that required squatting was a piece of cake because I do my bathroom squats and lots of horse riding. And the abs I found easy. What wasn't easy was the cardi because it put stress on my feet. I have a ruptured achilles tendon in my right foot. I pushed it to it's limit. Oh, and I've never been able to do a real push up so I'm stuck with the girly ones.,

On the other hand, Jillian killed my husband. Since I was using 5 pound weights, he went and bought 10 pound ones. Seemed logical except that those weights seem 5 times heavier than mine instead of 2. It wiped him out. And he is simply not limber so the big movements were difficult for him. He did switch to my weights after a few minutes.

Anyway, here he is circling his hips with Jillian.:laugh:

FredJillianSM1.jpg
  • DMOMofTHREE
    DMOMofTHREE Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Already a week into November, where did the days go?:ohwell:

Just found my October goals, I didn't reach them all

October goals:
    Lose 1 lb/week (lost 5.4)
    Continue to log in my food choices the night before (if not than at least I do it in the morning)
    Cook 2 new items per week, love skinnytaste.com (9 new items this month)
    Have the house ready to list by the end of the month, this is a big one, hope I can do it (this one I knew was a stretch)

Now that I went over them I guess I didn't do so bad after all.

I officially weigh in on Monday's but step on the scale every day. Last week I was down over a pound all week, then Monday morning I was back to last Monday's weight. Then back down this morning, my weekend schedule was off. I don't eat at the same scheduled times, need to try and stay on schedule those days.

New goals for November:
    Lose 1 lb/week
    Cook 2 new items per week, I need to freeze a lot of our favorites so that when the house is listed I won't have to mess up the kitchen too much.
    I won't set a day to list the house, but my goal is to spend every free moment I have trying to finish.

Now its off to catch up on this months posts while I am waiting for the furnace maintenance man to finish up.

Lynn
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My goals for November:

1. Log my calories.
    2. Find ways to get exercise in the Pacific NW wet season. (Ordered a bike trainer for my recumbent and considering joining a gym.)
    3. Survive the holidays with the family without pigging out or giving up.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I took a day off school to nurse a bad cold & sore throat :yawn: lost track of MFP posts as well. Back to school today – so lucky to have dependable teachers on call to fill in for me when I can’t be in the classroom. I have the student teacher too, so perhaps I can call on her to narrate if I loose my voice.

To compensate for my frustration at not loosing pounds I lost a little in inches off my bust, under my bust-line, waist and hips between the beginning of October and the beginning of November. :happy: Yippee!

Linda/Sundance, so good to read how your trips to the gym are getting to be routine. Next you’ll be one of those folks who can’t imagine life with out exercise (never say never)! I hope your DD’s oral surgery went well. Congratulations on the loss, you are rocking now!

Lila, I can picture you in a “darling little cloche hat”. :wink: What colour?

Curlieq5 – If it’s on-line motivation you need, you’re definitely in the right place.

Janehadji, so sorry to hear you have to wear a boot, (been there, done that). I don’t know “Words With Friends” but I play “Whirly Words” on my iPhone – a bit addicting.

Jocenec1 – That’s one sweet little honey bee! Thanks for the “stay young” post, it gave me an early morning smile.

Kathy, good luck on getting the DH and DD to pay more attention to their health. Don’t let them drag you back into bad habits – keep on being a role model for them. :drinker: Tigress’s idea about the life insurance gave me a bit of a giggle!

Wessecg – Gotta say, you’re already looking pretty hot in that aerobics outfit - can’t wait to see the “after” pictures! An option on the push ups, instead of “girlie” is to elevate your hands on a step, the seat of a sturdy chair, something like that. You can gradually work your way to the ground. :explode: It works your shoulders more like a “real” push-up.

JB – the Carrot Bisque recipe is making me drool …

Barbie, I always enjoy your book recommendations – “168 Hours” will be next on my list, and I think it’s time for me to re-read “The Happiness Project”.

Barbara AHMOD – thanks for sharing your story about the internal struggle with your relationship with your friend. I don’t think we ever outgrow these things, but we do get a bit more thoughtful – especially when we bring a little consultation with the Spirit into it.

Good to see you, Sue Compton. :drinker: How’s your cafeteria class going this term?

Time to go and mix up my "Green Smoothie" (still rockin' the immersion blender) and get J'boy ready for the day.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

November Goals:

Continue New Rules of Lifting – 3x week
    No second helpings, no evening snacks
    Keep up the exercise & good eating routine when we go away for our November break.
    Add meditative prayer to my daily routine - evenings before sleep.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hello Barbie: Thank you for starting this group. I am Joann presently living in New Orleans, Louisiana. I joined this website in April of 2011, and yesterday hit my 90 lb loss. I have gone off the site for a while, but maintained, and have been back a while to get to the end of my journey........Joann
  • Happygirl50
    Happygirl50 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning,
    Off to a big family reunion today. Made a organic quinoa salad to take. I will eat before going and only drink water there or fresh fruit or vegs.
    Will check in later today.
    Hugs to all, Linda:heart:

Could you post the recipe? We started using Quinoa last fall after DH's diabetic Nurse Practitioner warned us about the glycemic index issues caused by white rice and other foods that quickly turn to sugar in the digestive process. We're liking quinoa, and could use additional recipes.