First baby...how old were you?

Options
gimpygramma
gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
I have been surprised at the number of women on the board who report having their first child when they were in their teens. That was really common when I was having mine (60's) but I thought first time mothers were older now. (My daughter-in-law was 33 when she had our first grandson.) I have no statistics to support my impression but I was just wondering. Is it generational? Regional? Anyone care to satisfy my curiosity by posting where you are from, your age now and your age when you had your first child? I will start;

Age now: 68
Age when first child was born: 23

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    30 when born. Wife was 27.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    19 when I was pregnant 20 when he was born. ( and he wasn't an oopsie daisy* baby before someone asks. )

Illinois
    22 almost 23 now
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Age now: 35
    Age when I had my 1st baby: 31. 2nd baby: 33

The average age is around 30 in the UK, but there are certain areas where you get a lot of teenage mums. The year I had my daughter there were 2 15 year old girls pregnant at the school I teach in. When I had my son, my 1st, there was a 16 year old having a baby.

I went to university and worked for a few years before having children, and a lot of women are doing that now. On the other hand, if you live in a deprived area and have no ambition, you end up with a lot of teenage pregnancies. In the UK you get pretty good benefits if you're on a low income and bringing up a child.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I was born in 1952
    Graduated in 1970 at 17
    Married at 18 (1971)
    Had my first at 19 (1972)
    Miscarriage at 20 (1973)
    had second child at 21 (1974)

I think that generation had children younger

I am now 60 & a young grandma of 5
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't have one yet at 25, am thinking maybe around 30, if I can choose. Maybe a little later if I need more time to pay loans off. I'm from Cleveland.

Edit: Actually thinking closer to 35...I just don't think I'll have the money until then.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    37 in 1993
    Wyoming
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    43 now. 19 when my child was born. Like the post-er above, mine was not an oops either. But most of my friends have been 30 or close to it when their babies were born. I have a friend who is 42 that had her first at 16, and then just had one a year ago. So her oldest will be 24 next month and her baby just turned 1 (there are two kids in between those two).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe 30 if I can find someone to impregnate me. =p
  • Amylinton
    Amylinton Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Age Now: 38
    First Baby: 24
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    18 When pregnant
    19 When had him

Been with my guy for 8 years now and 2 more children

I'm 24 now :)

I wouldn't have had it any other way, I look forward to enjoying my 40s when they are all off to college :)
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just turned 25
    Kentucky
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    25 with #1
    28 with #2
    29 with #3
    done now (i'm 33)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I had just turned 18 when I had my first. I am 25 now (with 2 kids) and live in New Zealand. I hear our teenage pregnancy rate is quite high, but I haven't met many other young mums, possibly people tend to start later in the area I live in.
  • amberredford
    amberredford Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fort Worth, TX
    I was 19 when I got pregnant and turned 20 a month before I had my daughter,
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I have been surprised at the number of women on the board who report having their first child when they were in their teens. That was really common when I was having mine (60's) but I thought first time mothers were older now. (My daughter-in-law was 33 when she had our first grandson.) I have no statistics to support my impression but I was just wondering. Is it generational? Regional? Anyone care to satisfy my curiosity by posting where you are from, your age now and your age when you had your first child? I will start;

Age now: 68

Age 52
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    26 with 1st baby
    31 with 2nd baby
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Married 19 yrs old -- married my high school sweetheart our 1st summer in college
    1st child - 21 yrs old
    2nd child - 25 yrs old
    3rd child - 27 yrs old
    4th child (and last) - 30 yrs old
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    34yrs old. Only one LOL
    Age now 62.
    From Ireland.
    Now living in N. California
  • anonymousKel
    anonymousKel Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    42 now, married at 22, 18 month later had first child (19 last week argh) and next one when I was 28

I was a little older than most believe it or not.

At the time it wasn't 30 as the lady above said for avg in UK but it obs differs throughout the country and over the years
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Age now: 38
    Age at 1st child: 16 (and 2nd child at 19)

I was married and divorced before I could even drink.

Note: It's not a redneck thing (ew), it was the 80's and I was in a relationship with a non-relative. haha