First baby...how old were you?

Options

Replies

• Heatherwood62
    Options
    I am 62 and raised in the Pacific NW. (Seattle ). Had my first child at 32 and second at 34
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm in Las Vegas, NV. Currently 28 and pregnant, due 2/19/13 :-) I'll still be 28 when he is born.

My husband just turned 30, we got married when I was 22 and he was 24. His mom just turned 50 (she was 19 when he was born, 21 with his sister). I think his dad is 53.

On the contrary, my parents are both 63, my mom was 35 when I was born.

My sister had my niece when she was 33, my nephew at 37 (they're 9 and 4, respectively).
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Found a Stats Canada page that says in 2008 the average age of first time moms was 28.1. In the mid sixties it was 23.5.
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I live in California and I was 21 when I got pregnant with my first and 22 when she was born. I was 30 when I had my second child and 32 when I had my third. Wow that required way more thinking and figuring than it should have!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I was 21 and 25 when my kids were born. :)
  • momjeannes
    Options
    I was 29 with my first, 33 with my second, and (surprise!) 39 with my third. Never thought I'd have one at almost 40, So glad he's here, but I'm way more tired chasing him at 2 1/2 than I was with my first two! Plus, our retirement has been somewhat postponed! :) He's worth it!
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have three dughters who were born when I was 21, 24 and 27. They are now 19, 16 and 13 and I am 41. I was the "young" mom with my first and am of similar age to the parents of my younger two.

My mom was 18 when I was born.

My husband's mom was 47 when she had him in 1964. That was considered really old at the time.
  • gimpygramma
    Options
    Got a late start with hubby being in the Navy. Our daughter was born one month before my 39th birthday, and our son was born four months after my 43rd birthday.

We tried for over three years to conceive our daughter, and the boy was a "surprise". He was conceived after a 3,000 mile motorcycle trip to Myrtle Beach for bike week. Yes, 3,000 miles on a motorcycle can definitely throw your cycle off!

WOW! Nice that you were able to have your family even though you got off to that late start. I know that we are reading more and more about the fertility problems related to delaying pregnancies. I wonder if we should recommend your unique solution. :laugh:
  • Michellerawrrr
    Michellerawrrr Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Age now: 40
    Age when my son was born: 25
    I was married at 23
  • gimpygramma
    Options
    I am 33 and we are trying for our first. We wanted to be financially secure before we started a family.

Los Angeles, California.

That's one of the reasons a lot of women give for waiting to start a family. More of them are getting university degrees and contending with student loans :grumble: after they graduate. Also in an expensive city like Vancouver it usually takes two incomes to support a family so they want to get established in their jobs.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I am 33 and we are trying for our first. We wanted to be financially secure before we started a family.

Los Angeles, California.

That's one of the reasons a lot of women give for waiting to start a family. More of them are getting university degrees and contending with student loans :grumble: after they graduate. Also in an expensive city like Vancouver it usually takes two incomes to support a family so they want to get established in their jobs.

Same for us. I'm 28 and finishing up a Ph.D. at the moment. We didn't want to wait too long, but I don't know how I'd have had this baby before grad school and still accomplished what I wanted. I admire women who do it. I know I probably couldn't have.
  • kekevela
    kekevela Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had my first son at 20 and second one at 23. Considering a third...I'll be 30 in four months.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 30 in 1988. I was tempted to name him Houdini. He was a pill, foam, condom baby. The second one was born when I was 39 in 1997. She was a rubber baby. Texan born and bred.
  • gimpygramma
    Options
    I had my first at 30 in 1988. I was tempted to name him Houdini. He was a pill, foam, condom baby. The second one was born when I was 39 in 1997. She was a rubber baby. Texan born and bred.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Very determined children. Did they continue that way?
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was 25 with my first, BUT I lived in an area with a high teen pregnancy rate. I was the oldest person in my birthing class! By 6 years. I felt very out of place since most important factor them shared classes...
  • karawRN
    karawRN Posts: 311
    Options
    Im from Northwest Iowa
    Had my first baby (and only as of right now) at 17
    I am 21 now.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    19, which is absurdly too young. 29 now and just had #3 (and the last one) in March.
  • gimpygramma
    Options
    I was 25 with my first, BUT I lived in an area with a high teen pregnancy rate. I was the oldest person in my birthing class! By 6 years. I felt very out of place since most important factor them shared classes...

I was 23 when I had my first. I was in a four bed ward with a 19 year old having her first, a 21 year old having her 2nd and a 25 year old having her fifth. Like you, I was a slow starter. ...(And yes they kept you in the hospital for 5-7 days back then.)
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I live in Southern California

I was 22 when I got Pregnant & 23 when I had my 1st
    Second I was 28
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I married at 21, currently 26 with 0 children. We are thinking maybe in our early 30s which is VERY uncommon here in North Mississippi. Women my age already have 2-3. The few that do not have children don't plan on having them at all. I actually had a complete stranger in a bar tell me last year that I better start having kids NOW or my eggs were going to dry up! Jerk :noway: