Whats wrong with Subway?

Options

Replies

• toridehaven
    Options
    Its so funny how critical people can be of the choices of others. I believe someone else said it best "if you don't like it, don't it it DUH!" Anyway, I enjoy Subway every now and then. I prefer a salad with spinach, a scoop of tuna and tons of veggies. I like the raspberry vinagrette for dressing. I usually only eat half at a time because its so filling. To each his own...:flowerforyou:
  • toledochic
    toledochic Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love Subway! I always get a turkey sub with no cheese and I'm still losing weight :)
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I like Subway just fine. There are delis I like better. There are delis I do not like as much. Whatever I'm in the mood for, I'll eat (so long as my calorie goal is met).
  • cdpark617
    cdpark617 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I eat what I eat, this site hasn't changed too much of what I eat, but more helped me control how much I eat.

I love subway!
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is the type of thing I find extremely funny. People hating on subway because of carbs and such. Weight loss is very simple. It's all about CALORIES. I haven't tracked anything besides calories the entire time I have been losing weight and not once have I hit a plateau, had any issues losing weight or anything to that nature. Eat what you want, just stay within your calorie range for the day and you'll be fine.

This type of eating doesn't work for everybody. A lot of people have trouble with carbs, they can't digest them well and so have to watch what they eat more closely. also some people lose differently. It isn't all calories that matter.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Worked for Jared yo.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Please don't be an idiot and believe this. I'm studying nutrition right now, and can tell you that eating that much protein is just a waste. Carbs provide glucose, the preferred source of energy.

I used to hear that same idiotic "carbs are your preferred energy source" quote from nutritionists all the time back when I was in medical school That means carbs are good for giving you energy for things like sports, but it has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss (or anything else really). And technically sugar, not complex carbs are the body's energy source. Yet nobody would recomend eating pure sugar all day! You mentioned that we don't need much protein if we're not exercising . . . how many carbs do we need again . . . oh yeah zero!

I can't believe the "carbs are your preferred energy source" dogma is still so prevalent amoung nutritionists. White bread (and subway's "wheat bread" is basically white bread) is not helpful for weight loss. Sure, you can make it work if you want to, but it's not health food. It's not very satiating, it's high glycemic index, it's low in nutrients, and it's basically just empty calories.

carbs = energy
  • girlykate143
    girlykate143 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Their bread turns soggy. Nuf said.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Subway is just fine if you like it. I am a fan of the BLT on Italian Herb and Cheese sammich.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Processed meats full of sodium and MSG - gives me a migraine
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

precisely. they're very stingy on the meat and veg. and, all the meat is way processed anyway. when i'm trying to lose a few, i nix processed foods, sugar, and grains. taking a bite of a subway sandwich sometimes seems like getting a mouthful of bread.
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    Please don't be an idiot and believe this. I'm studying nutrition right now, and can tell you that eating that much protein is just a waste. Carbs provide glucose, the preferred source of energy.

I used to hear that same idiotic "carbs are your preferred energy source" quote from nutritionists all the time back when I was in medical school That means carbs are good for giving you energy for things like sports, but it has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss (or anything else really). And technically sugar, not complex carbs are the body's energy source. Yet nobody would recomend eating pure sugar all day! You mentioned that we don't need much protein if we're not exercising . . . how many carbs do we need again . . . oh yeah zero!

I can't believe the "carbs are your preferred energy source" dogma is still so prevalent amoung nutritionists. White bread (and subway's "wheat bread" is basically white bread) is not helpful for weight loss. Sure, you can make it work if you want to, but it's not health food. It's not very satiating, it's high glycemic index, it's low in nutrients, and it's basically just empty calories.

carbs = energy

fat and protein = energy, too. do you think we just poop out protein and fat without using it?
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to jacka**es on here that think they know everything. Go to a nutritionist or dietitan if you have questions. People here think they know everything because they did a google search.

Or cuz they read a nutrition book..
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This all just makes me want a sammich. *tummy grumbles*
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    honestly, if i'm low carbing it or i'm doing a carb reload, subway tastes generic, processed and bland to me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

precisely. they're very stingy on the meat and veg. and, all the meat is way processed anyway. when i'm trying to lose a few, i nix processed foods, sugar, and grains. taking a bite of a subway sandwich sometimes seems like getting a mouthful of bread.

When yoe're trying to lose a few your diet must be awfully bland
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the calorie hit of Subway. Some people just like to be negative. It is much better than having a Big Mac.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    people bash all kinds of stuff on here. some stuff I like and use in my diet, like Lean Cuisines. No, I don't build my entire diet around them, but sometimes they are a good option. do what works for you. I've been criticized for skpping lunch because I was out and about doing errands and didn't have healthy options nearby and I've been criticized for eating at subway. Don't listen to everyone tell you what you should do. I've lost nearly 50 lbs in under 5 mos so I pretty much do my own thing my own way.
  • sobriquet84
    Options

When yoe're trying to lose a few your diet must be awfully bland

not at all!!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. What is wrong with a healthy sandwich from Subway?
    I don't mean the footlong sandwich with extra bacon and cheese grilled with no veggies and a side of 2 coookies and a regular coke.

I don't understand why so many people hate on Subway here on MFP.

I honestly think that my 6-inch on 9grain bread sub with turkey or ham along with cheese and light mayo and fully loaded list of veggies is not bad for me. Honestly, It pretty much follows the healthy eating food guide. Sure processed meats have a bit too much sodium, but otherwise, I don't see the problem with a sub described above... yet so many on MFP are against Subway, or think its awful.

If you think so, please explain in a rational and civilized manner why you think Subway isn't a good choice for people. I'd like to know why and I'd like you to suggest something easy to prepare (and tasty) that I can pack in under 400 calories with a reasonable amount of veggies/fruit (my vitamins are important), carbs (not too much sugar and a reasonable amount of fibre), protein and fats (preferably the healthy fats).

I'm not talking low-carb diet or high-protein diet. I can't do keto or Atkins, seriously, I've tried it, its not for me, I felt so lethargic.
    I'm just talking regular healthy eating. You know, food-guide style... where the daily recommended intake is 55% carbs, 30% fats and 15% protein along with plenty of vitamins and minerals.

It's nasty? I dunno, I can't even stand the smell of Subway.
  • Deebautista
    Deebautista Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This is the type of thing I find extremely funny. People hating on subway because of carbs and such. Weight loss is very simple. It's all about CALORIES. I haven't tracked anything besides calories the entire time I have been losing weight and not once have I hit a plateau, had any issues losing weight or anything to that nature. Eat what you want, just stay within your calorie range for the day and you'll be fine.

EXACTLY this! I'm friending you missy!