Whats wrong with Subway?

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to jacka**es on here that think they know everything. Go to a nutritionist or dietitan if you have questions. People here think they know everything because they did a google search.

Yes, educating one's self is such an enormous waste of time when you can go to someone else who will simply tell you what to do. No matter that you won't have the basic education to decide if the information they're giving you even makes sense or not.

Also, since people constantly equate these two:

Training requirements for becoming a nutritionist: In most states ZERO training required. Almost anyone can legally call themselves a "nutritionist."

Training requirements for becoming a dietician: 4-year degree in a related field, usually dietetics or food and nutrition plus 6 months to two years of certification classes.

Google is a helluva tool.
  • Cindynels
    Options
    I love Subway, and I think it's perfectly fine to have it as part of your nutritious lifestyle! Weight loss is a matter of moderation and calories consumed vs. calories burned.

I'm new to this site, and I do have to say I'm a little shocked and disappointed with the content people feel comfortable posting. I thought the point of a forum on a website such as this was to be supportive. I know people will rebut with the "I'm just being honest" card, but there's a way to state your opinion without belittling other's. This is not directed toward you Snowgrrl...your post was completely appropriate.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Processed meats full of sodium and MSG - gives me a migraine
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

precisely. they're very stingy on the meat and veg. and, all the meat is way processed anyway. when i'm trying to lose a few, i nix processed foods, sugar, and grains. taking a bite of a subway sandwich sometimes seems like getting a mouthful of bread.

When yoe're trying to lose a few your diet must be awfully bland

not at all!!

no butter or cooking oils and all that yucky processed stuff makes for bland cooking
  • Apeck87
    Apeck87 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    subway is full of processed food that was TOO much sodium.. unless you are planning on getting a vegi delite stay away from this place..
    Look at the numbers:
    Turkey Breast and Ham Sandwhich no may no cheese

SERVING SIZE (g) 221 CALORIES 280 Calories from Fat 35 TOTAL FAT (g) 4 Saturated Fat (g) 1 Trans Fat* (g) 0 CHOLESTEROL (mg) 20 SODIUM (mg) 820 CARBOHYDRATES (G) 46 Dietary Fiber (g) 5 Sugars (g) 8 PROTEIN (G) 18 VITAMIN A % DV 8 VITAMIN C % DV 20 CALCIUM % DV 30 IRON % DV

820 mg of sodium in on 6 inch sandwhich if you get a footlong that equals=1640!

Read below this is straight from the subway website:

Is monosodium glutamate (MSG) used as a flavor enhancer in any of your foods?
    The SUBWAY® brand does not add MSG to any of the standard menu items. However, other ingredients such as hydrolyzed or textured vegetable proteins and/or autolyzed yeast are used in our products. These ingredients contain glutamates that may cause similar sensitivities that MSG causes. To find out which foods at SUBWAY® contain autolyzed yeast and hydrolyzed protein, visit the nutrition section of the website to view ingredient listings. There is also a document in the nutrition section, called “Ingredient Information for People with Food Allergies” which identifies menu items that contain these two ingredients. Snack chips and pre-packaged salad dressings sold in our restaurants may contain MSG, so make sure to read the ingredient list on the package.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    subway is full of processed food that was TOO much sodium.. unless you are planning on getting a vegi delite stay away from this place..
    Look at the numbers:

SERVING SIZE (g) 221 CALORIES 280 Calories from Fat 35 TOTAL FAT (g) 4 Saturated Fat (g) 1 Trans Fat* (g) 0 CHOLESTEROL (mg) 20 SODIUM (mg) 820 CARBOHYDRATES (G) 46 Dietary Fiber (g) 5 Sugars (g) 8 PROTEIN (G) 18 VITAMIN A % DV 8 VITAMIN C % DV 20 CALCIUM % DV 30 IRON % DV

The SUBWAY® brand does not add MSG to any of the standard menu items. However, other ingredients such as hydrolyzed or textured vegetable proteins and/or autolyzed yeast are used in our products. These ingredients contain glutamates that may cause similar sensitivities that MSG causes. To find out which foods at SUBWAY® contain autolyzed yeast and hydrolyzed protein, visit the nutrition section of the website to view ingredient listings. There is also a document in the nutrition section, called “Ingredient Information for People with Food Allergies” which identifies menu items that contain these two ingredients. Snack chips and pre-packaged salad dressings sold in our restaurants may contain MSG, so make sure to read the ingredient list on the package.

Zomg! sodium and MSG is tasty stuff as is naturally occurring glutamate
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Please don't be an idiot and believe this. I'm studying nutrition right now, and can tell you that eating that much protein is just a waste. Carbs provide glucose, the preferred source of energy.

I used to hear that same idiotic "carbs are your preferred energy source" quote from nutritionists all the time back when I was in medical school That means carbs are good for giving you energy for things like sports, but it has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss (or anything else really). And technically sugar, not complex carbs are the body's energy source. Yet nobody would recomend eating pure sugar all day! You mentioned that we don't need much protein if we're not exercising . . . how many carbs do we need again . . . oh yeah zero!

I can't believe the "carbs are your preferred energy source" dogma is still so prevalent amoung nutritionists. White bread (and subway's "wheat bread" is basically white bread) is not helpful for weight loss. Sure, you can make it work if you want to, but it's not health food. It's not very satiating, it's high glycemic index, it's low in nutrients, and it's basically just empty calories.

carbs = energy

fat and protein = energy, too. do you think we just poop out protein and fat without using it?

Agreed, but it doesn't come as quickly as carb energy. Maybe I should revise to carbs = fast energy! :wink:
  • LovelyVegetarian
    LovelyVegetarian Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but in response to the OP asking for alternatives, how about a pita? We have Pita Pit here and since I'm a vegetarian, I have the falafel pita. If I get a small one and have veggies and hummus in it, it's under 400 cals and extremely filling.

As for subway, I think it's fine occasionally. But if you are having cold cuts, you should not only worry about the sodium but also the nitrates that are cold cuts generally (very very bad for you).
  • Apeck87
    Apeck87 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Look at the numbers:

Zomg! sodium and MSG is tasty stuff as is naturally occurring glutamate

sarcasm? lol
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've never seen anyone hating on Subway at MFP. But, since you're asking... It has no real flavor or appeal. It's boring. it's the vanilla milkshake of milkshakes. And some people like vanilla and that's okay with me. I'm just not a vanilla milkshake girl.

BUT, and this is IMPORTANT: don't fool yourself into thinking it's different than other "fast food" chains. It's the same. Purchases and uses processed meats and cheeses and breads and just like all the rest. Check out the ingredient list at http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf.

For example, Black Forest ham: Ham cured with: water, dextrose, salt, potassium lactate, contains 2% or less modified food starch (derived from corn), sodium phosphates, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, smoke flavoring, sodium nitrite. May contain: seasoning [potassium chloride, pork stock, sugar, yeast extract, salt, lactic acid, fructose, sunflower oil, cysteine HCL, calcium lactate, modified food starch, flavors, grill flavor (from sunflower oil), polysorbate 80, rendered pork fat, and smoke flavor].

That's a whole mess of unpronounceable chemicals and processes for, ya know, MEAT, that already existed as MEAT when it was on the pig.

or 9-GRAIN WHEAT: Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, whole wheat flour, sugar, contains 2% or less of the following: wheat gluten, oat fiber, soybean oil, wheat bran, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale, brown rice, barley, flaxseed, millet, sorghum, yeast nutrients (calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), vitamin D2, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium iodate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide), caramel color, refinery syrup, honey, yeast extract, natural flavor, enzymes. Contains wheat.

I consider this franken-food. But that's just me.
  • NurseDebD
    Options
    I like it enough. More of a Jimmy John's person myself, though.

Love that Jimmy John's! Now, let's see what people don't like about that place...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I've never seen anyone hating on Subway at MFP. But, since you're asking... It has no real flavor or appeal. It's boring. it's the vanilla milkshake of milkshakes. And some people like vanilla and that's okay with me. I'm just not a vanilla milkshake girl.

BUT, and this is IMPORTANT: don't fool yourself into thinking it's different than other "fast food" chains. It's the same. Purchases and uses processed meats and cheeses and breads and just like all the rest. Check out the ingredient list at http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf.

For example, Black Forest ham: Ham cured with: water, dextrose, salt, potassium lactate, contains 2% or less modified food starch (derived from corn), sodium phosphates, sodium diacetate, sodium erythorbate, smoke flavoring, sodium nitrite. May contain: seasoning [potassium chloride, pork stock, sugar, yeast extract, salt, lactic acid, fructose, sunflower oil, cysteine HCL, calcium lactate, modified food starch, flavors, grill flavor (from sunflower oil), polysorbate 80, rendered pork fat, and smoke flavor].

That's a whole mess of unpronounceable chemicals and processes for, ya know, MEAT, that already existed as MEAT when it was on the pig.

or 9-GRAIN WHEAT: Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), water, yeast, whole wheat flour, sugar, contains 2% or less of the following: wheat gluten, oat fiber, soybean oil, wheat bran, salt, wheat, rye, yellow corn, oats, triticale, brown rice, barley, flaxseed, millet, sorghum, yeast nutrients (calcium carbonate, calcium sulfate, ammonium sulfate), vitamin D2, dough conditioners (DATEM, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium iodate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide), caramel color, refinery syrup, honey, yeast extract, natural flavor, enzymes. Contains wheat.

I consider this franken-food. But that's just me.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

:drinker:
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends that your intake be 55/30/15 is retarded.

Are you serious?! It's 2012 and you are still using the R word?!?

...it's 2012 and there are still people offended by the word "retard" ??!??!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Love that Jimmy John's! Now, let's see what people don't like about that place...

I don't like it because they aren't in my town! :laugh: :laugh:

We've got Mr Goodcents though! And Planet Sub!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    because jared's a D!CK!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:

*high five*
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options

Kinda like their unwich, however I don't get there often. but they do deliver 'freaky fast' ;)
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

*eyeroll*
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I love subway.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

Yes, probably people who have a direction connection with the word, family members and such.... Also people who arent a@@hats
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Processed meats full of sodium and MSG - gives me a migraine
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

precisely. they're very stingy on the meat and veg. and, all the meat is way processed anyway. when i'm trying to lose a few, i nix processed foods, sugar, and grains. taking a bite of a subway sandwich sometimes seems like getting a mouthful of bread.

When yoe're trying to lose a few your diet must be awfully bland

not at all!!

no butter or cooking oils and all that yucky processed stuff makes for bland cooking

/sigh

fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine. if you want to argue technicalities, olive oil is TECHNICALLY a "processed" food.

i hate it when people do that. i'm sure you knew exactly what i meant. processed foods meaning pre-packaged, pre-made crap.

shoot, i supposed you want to call me out that spices are "processed" as well because they are dehydrated and put through a grinder. but if you must know, i do eat dairy and some condiments. OMG call the processed foods police.