Whats wrong with Subway?

Options
I don't get it. What is wrong with a healthy sandwich from Subway?
I don't mean the footlong sandwich with extra bacon and cheese grilled with no veggies and a side of 2 coookies and a regular coke.

I don't understand why so many people hate on Subway here on MFP.

I honestly think that my 6-inch on 9grain bread sub with turkey or ham along with cheese and light mayo and fully loaded list of veggies is not bad for me. Honestly, It pretty much follows the healthy eating food guide. Sure processed meats have a bit too much sodium, but otherwise, I don't see the problem with a sub described above... yet so many on MFP are against Subway, or think its awful.

If you think so, please explain in a rational and civilized manner why you think Subway isn't a good choice for people. I'd like to know why and I'd like you to suggest something easy to prepare (and tasty) that I can pack in under 400 calories with a reasonable amount of veggies/fruit (my vitamins are important), carbs (not too much sugar and a reasonable amount of fibre), protein and fats (preferably the healthy fats).

I'm not talking low-carb diet or high-protein diet. I can't do keto or Atkins, seriously, I've tried it, its not for me, I felt so lethargic.
I'm just talking regular healthy eating. You know, food-guide style... where the daily recommended intake is 55% carbs, 30% fats and 15% protein along with plenty of vitamins and minerals.

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Processed meats full of sodium and MSG - gives me a migraine
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I noticed that as well!!

Sorry I don't have an answer but i did always think that a healthy sub was a good choice? I've always used it if I'm in town with friends and they choose to go for fastfood. (luckily there is a maccies and a subway *very* close to each other in town) so I wander to subway for mine while they eat maccies?
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't think subway is horrible. I enjoy a sub from there from time to time. As an every day occurrence it wouldn't work for me though. That intake of carbs is way too high for me. As a diabetic and a woman with PCOS I know for my own health and ability to lose weight I need to lower my carb intake or at least my bread/starch intake and try to get most of my carbs from fruits and veggies.

If someone chooses to have a sub every day from their "healthy" options and it works for them I see nothing wrong with it.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    The flatbreads are om nom nom.

i do provolone, spinach, bell peppers, jalapenos, cucumbers, onions, and onion sauce.

its high sodium, but seriously.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is the type of thing I find extremely funny. People hating on subway because of carbs and such. Weight loss is very simple. It's all about CALORIES. I haven't tracked anything besides calories the entire time I have been losing weight and not once have I hit a plateau, had any issues losing weight or anything to that nature. Eat what you want, just stay within your calorie range for the day and you'll be fine.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I love Subway. It's one of the few fast food places that I can tolerate because the ingredients are fresh. I prefer Mr. Goodcents for subs, or Planet Sub, but Subway is great! Hubby and me always split a $5 footlong.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Any diet that recommends that your intake be 55/30/15 is retarded. Yes, that includes the US government's recommendations. You don't have to be an Atkins fanatic to realize that such a high carb ratio is terrible for you. If anything, carbs and protein should probably be about even at 35/35.

That said, I used to like Subway, until I started making my own food, and suddenly realized that their's tastes like ****. Eat fresh my *kitten*...pay close attention to their 'fresh' food next time you are there. Granted, every location will be different, but every one of them that I have been to has featured some...less than fresh looking ingredients.

That's not a horrible ratio. Mine is 50/25/25 which is perfect for me. Though occasionally, I will take in a little more fat and a little bit less in carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

I don't think it has MSG in it or else my hubby would be getting headaches. MSG gives him headaches and stomach issues.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    because it's low-grade sub-par food that tastes terrible
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed a lot of hate towards Subway. As far as fast food goes, it's not that bad. I cut out wheat and gluten about 3 months ago (due to a dietary sensitivity), but prior to that I'd occasionally have a Subway sandwich if I had to eat out. My go to meal at Subway was a 6 inch turkey on whole wheat, with double meat, lots of veggies, and no sauce or mayo. Per the Subway (Canada) website that worked out to 380 calories (29g protein, 48g carbs, 8g fat, 5g fibre, 1335 sodium).

At the time, my main concern with that meal was the high sodium (a double serving of processed deli meat being the main culprit), but that's true of a lot fast food, and isn't the end of the world for the occasional indulgence.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    ...and in your opinion, what is "high-grade superior-par food that tastes great"?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    ...and in your opinion, what is "high-grade superior-par food that tastes great"?

Well if we're talking sandwiches, then something from an authentic Italian or Jewish deli.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends that your intake be 55/30/15 is retarded. Yes, that includes the US government's recommendations. You don't have to be an Atkins fanatic to realize that such a high carb ratio is terrible for you. If anything, carbs and protein should probably be about even at 35/35.

That said, I used to like Subway, until I started making my own food, and suddenly realized that their's tastes like ****. Eat fresh my *kitten*...pay close attention to their 'fresh' food next time you are there. Granted, every location will be different, but every one of them that I have been to has featured some...less than fresh looking ingredients.

What makes high carbs "terrible for you"? Got some science to back the statement up?
  • EHeadings
    EHeadings Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends that your intake be 55/30/15 is retarded.

Are you serious?! It's 2012 and you are still using the R word?!?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with Subway. It's a great choice when you're on the run. Don't let opinionated people discourage you from it. And your macros are fine as determined by MFP. When I go to subway, I get a roast beef on 9 grain wheat, 6", all the veggies I want, no sauce, no cheese, extra jalapenos. It's like 320 calories and only 777mg of sodium. It's great.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options

exactly! If I ate subway for lunch I probably would be guzzling water all afternoon from the salt- gross!
  • tubaman58
    Options
    I think it's fine, certainly helathier and better tasting than the Golden Arches.

No matter what you do, some people here feel obligated to slam it. If you can make it work for you.... go for it...!!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Well if we're talking sandwiches, then something from an authentic Italian or Jewish deli.

Sounds yummy, wish I had one around the corner ;)
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I like Subway sandwiches. My favorite is the one with chicken tikka.
    I think it is a much better option than so many other fast food choices one can make.

We are eating out tomorrow with family and I'm going to make my sub as healthy as possible and loaded with vegetables and salads :D
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    this is funny.... you don't like subway ...then ..duh..don't eat it.

for some of us, it's the lesser of evils so we can go out to eat with co workers and still maintain rather than eat popeyes or something else. a 6 inch sub doesn't destroy my day..

to each his/her own.