Whats wrong with Subway?

Options

Replies

• starjumper12
    Options
    if i'm at work and have a few minutes to grab something to eat, around here there's a
    tim horton's
    subway
    7-11
    a&w
    wendy's

i'm gonna go to subway!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    MEH, whatever. I'm not even going to read all of the posts on here...I just came to say

I LOVE SUBWAY. And I fit it in my diet every now and then (veggie delite) and IT'S AMAZING and I don't regret it.

NOM NOM NOM.

That is all, good day.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    if i'm at work and have a few minutes to grab something to eat, around here there's a
    tim horton's
    subway
    7-11
    a&w
    wendy's

i'm gonna go to subway!

id go to 7-11 and grab a protein bar.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    There's nothing inherently wrong with Subway except cheap processed meats and possible handling issues imo.

I'd much prefer a sub with fresh cut meat from Boar's head, personally.
  • kaycevaughan
    kaycevaughan Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what is really wrong with it either. I had a 6" today for lunch. And for once, I am not already hungry. I think losing weight is more about the food choices that you make. Like you said, not the extra bacon and cheese and such. I had a Tuscan Chicken Melt with cheese on Italian bread with lettuce, onions, a little oil and vinager. It was delicious and only around 460 calories. Yes carbs and sodium are a little high, but watch them in the other foods you eat and you will be perfectly fine!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    are there subways in europe? their bread standards are way higher than ours and i wonder if they use different bread in european subway stores.

you can grab sandwiches off street vendors in Paris that are a million times better than subway.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies yet, but personally I am irritated with Subway because they advertise their healthiness, and have all these commercials showing fat people biting into hamburgers and busting their buttons/breaking their chairs/etc, and then they display a sandwich that actually has more calories in it than the hamburgers people were eating. Sure, you CAN eat a moderate calorie meal at Subway, but you actually have to be pretty careful, just as with any other fast food place. I've also seen studies that suggest that the "healthy aura" in Subway's advertising causes people to underestimate how many calories they are actually eating, which could lead to them eating more. (http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/pdf/permission/2007/health_halos-JCR_2007.pdf)

So basically, not only are they cracking fat jokes in their advertising, which is totally not cool with me (and stupid, to mock the customer base you are trying to attract), but they are also going so overboard with their healthiness claims that it's getting to the point of absurdity. Subway is not THAT good for you. It may be a good choice if you're in the mall food court and you're careful about what you order, but plenty of people go to Subway, chow down a thousand calories, and feel like they ate healthy so they deserve a treat afterwards, and end up worse than they would have if they "splurged" on McDonalds.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    AGREED!!!
    This is the type of thing I find extremely funny. People hating on subway because of carbs and such. Weight loss is very simple. It's all about CALORIES. I haven't tracked anything besides calories the entire time I have been losing weight and not once have I hit a plateau, had any issues losing weight or anything to that nature. Eat what you want, just stay within your calorie range for the day and you'll be fine.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    are there subways in europe? their bread standards are way higher than ours and i wonder if they use different bread in european subway stores.

you can grab sandwiches off street vendors in Paris that are a million times better than subway.
    Now wishing I lived in Paris.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I haven't read any of the replies yet, but personally I am irritated with Subway because they advertise their healthiness, and have all these commercials showing fat people biting into hamburgers and busting their buttons/breaking their chairs/etc, and then they display a sandwich that actually has more calories in it than the hamburgers people were eating. Sure, you CAN eat a moderate calorie meal at Subway, but you actually have to be pretty careful, just as with any other fast food place. I've also seen studies that suggest that the "healthy aura" in Subway's advertising causes people to underestimate how many calories they are actually eating, which could lead to them eating more. (http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/pdf/permission/2007/health_halos-JCR_2007.pdf)

So basically, not only are they cracking fat jokes in their advertising, which is totally not cool with me (and stupid, to mock the customer base you are trying to attract), but they are also going so overboard with their healthiness claims that it's getting to the point of absurdity. Subway is not THAT good for you. It may be a good choice if you're in the mall food court and you're careful about what you order, but plenty of people go to Subway, chow down a thousand calories, and feel like they ate healthy so they deserve a treat afterwards, and end up worse than they would have if they "splurged" on McDonalds.

High cals =/= unhealthy

and overweight and the obese are pretty crappy at estimating caloric intake regardless of "health" halos, much worse then their lean/normal weight counterparts
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Now wishing I lived in Paris.

that was the first country i visited in europe and it was eye opening to realize we dont have to settle for the crappy bread we are given in so many situations. the sandiwches in paris were cheap and fantastic.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    <
    Currently eating a subway sandwich and eats them from time to time.

-Lost weight.
    -Maintained loss.
    -Still alive.
    -Read the nutrition info so wasn't a complete idiot by assuming everything is healthy on the the menu and ordered something within my macros.
    -No sign of cancer yet.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Typical lunch before MFP: McDonalds: Southern Chicken Sandwich, reg. hamburger (one patty), large fries, chocolate chip cookie.
    Diet coke.

Typical lunch now : 6-12" Steak and cheese from Subway on white, lettuce, onion, jalapeno, salt and P, sweet onion sauce, vinegar, parm and oregano. Water to drink. Sometimes I'll go for Ham with the same fixings.

My point? Just look at the difference, yes I know I take in waayyyy too much sodium because I generally eat fast food, all the time. But I feel better, look better, and think before I eat now. Oh yea 37 lbs. down too.

Do what works for you! I do think we will all die one day...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Please don't be an idiot and believe this. I'm studying nutrition right now, and can tell you that eating that much protein is just a waste. Carbs provide glucose, the preferred source of energy.

I used to hear that same idiotic "carbs are your preferred energy source" quote from nutritionists all the time back when I was in medical school That means carbs are good for giving you energy for things like sports, but it has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss (or anything else really). And technically sugar, not complex carbs are the body's energy source. Yet nobody would recomend eating pure sugar all day! You mentioned that we don't need much protein if we're not exercising . . . how many carbs do we need again . . . oh yeah zero!

I can't believe the "carbs are your preferred energy source" dogma is still so prevalent amoung nutritionists. White bread (and subway's "wheat bread" is basically white bread) is not helpful for weight loss. Sure, you can make it work if you want to, but it's not health food. It's not very satiating, it's high glycemic index, it's low in nutrients, and it's basically just empty calories.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Here is all I have to say: I worked at Subway for 4 years... There is nothing healthy about it. The end.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I would never refer to fast food, subway, as health food. When I think of health food, I think about the gardens my grandpa used to grow when I was a child. Dang, I wish I had learned to farm...
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    moderation is key. and what you put on the bread and what size determines if it's too much of a good thing. I treat my daughter to a whole wheat sub, turkey meat, lettuce, olives, pickles, no dressings... she likes to eat clean when eating sandwiches... no mayo, nuthin'. lol!!!
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I actually think there are several tasty sandwiches available at Subway, including a plain ol' veggie sub that cuts out the salty meat people are complaining about.

HOWEVER. I cannot stand the smell of that place. I don't know if it's the flavored breads they began baking several years ago instead of just white and wheat, but it makes me want to vomit. And if I brave the smell (which I only do if there is no other option or someone in my family wants Subway), the smell stays in my clothes and hair for the rest of the day, leaving me mildly nauseated until I can shower and change.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    IF the nutrition calculator on their website is accurate, my sandwich at subway is 300 calories.

6 inch wheat bread
    pepperjack cheese
    spinach
    lettuce
    tomatoes
    cucumbers
    olives
    jalapeños
    and either vinegar or honey mustard depending on my mood.

NOT saying it has any health benefits but for someone like me who doesn't have much time between classes and consistently forgets to pack a lunch this is probably the lesser of fast food evils available to me lol

Also the printmaking/papermaking lab is connected to the campus subway so I smell it all day twice a week. I looooove that smell
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Please don't be an idiot and believe this. I'm studying nutrition right now, and can tell you that eating that much protein is just a waste. Carbs provide glucose, the preferred source of energy.

I used to hear that same idiotic "carbs are your preferred energy source" quote from nutritionists all the time back when I was in medical school That means carbs are good for giving you energy for things like sports, but it has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss (or anything else really). And technically sugar, not complex carbs are the body's energy source. Yet nobody would recomend eating pure sugar all day! You mentioned that we don't need much protein if we're not exercising . . . how many carbs do we need again . . . oh yeah zero!

I can't believe the "carbs are your preferred energy source" dogma is still so prevalent amoung nutritionists. White bread (and subway's "wheat bread" is basically white bread) is not helpful for weight loss. Sure, you can make it work if you want to, but it's not health food. It's not very satiating, it's high glycemic index, it's low in nutrients, and it's basically just empty calories.

lol