Whats wrong with Subway?

Options

Replies

• snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would love to think that making my own turkey sub at home would be cheaper and better for me, but I don't think that's the case.

1) Buy bread...pay 2.99 for sub buns (6 buns).
    2)Buy 250g of natural turkey sliced meats... 4.99$ (enough for about 4-5 sandwiches)
    3)Buy all veggies 10$ +...

The problem that I run into is that
    1) I dont think the macros are different (nor the nutritional value) between my grocery bread and meats and veggies compared to theirs.
    2) if I buy that whole selection of veggies, some of the veggies (not all) will def. eventually go bad in my house, since there are only 2 of us. Unless we only eat sandwiches for lunch for 2 weeks straight
    3) The made at home sub would end up costing the same price as the sub I bought at Subway for 4$.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    The couple of locations near me are just terrible. No clue how to build a sandwich, it's just a sloppy mess no matter when I go in there.

I prefer Jersey Mikes if I want a sub. Costs a little more, but I think it's worth it.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i like subway...
    iv just been on their website to check how many cal what i like to have is...
    6 inch - wheat bread - veggie patty, with cheese, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, pepper and onion - 380 cal...
    i dont have the cheese on mine, but i do sometimes have mayo instead but i think thats pretty good
    im afraid carb haters i dont look at carbs i like carbs, and im a very fussy eater so carbs are going nowhere...lol

the other i like is chicken tikka which they actually list on their low fat ones yum!

its about what choices you make more than where you go i think...bread filled with salad is always going to be better than burgers and cheese...
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost 150 pounds, am off all my diabetic medicine and I eat Subway at least once a week. When I go to Subway here are my criteria.

1) I always ask them to scoop out the extra bread from the loaf. (Saves about 40-50 calories per six inch)
    2) I only eat the Turkey or Chicken breast
    3) No Cheese
    4) Loaded with fresh veggies
    5) Vinegar and only mustard

I stick to those criteria and I find it's a healthy fast food type alternative. Of course you can eat badly at Subway (ie meatball sub), but you can also eat healthy if you choose.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    "I don't get it. What is wrong with a healthy sandwich from Subway? " <~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/06/12/food-babe-investigates-is-subway-real-food/

There's your Subway.

Do I still eat there? Yes, but I probably shouldn't if I'm trying to really be healthy. Usually I end up there when I get the feeling I've not had enough vegetables in my life. :-)

Wow... that's awesome... I'm never eating at Subway ever again.. haha
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I do not eat at Subway often but as an occasional treat. I enjoy.

There is one right next to my office. During the summer I would get an egg white omelet wrap. No meat, no cheese, no sauces just the egg white and as many veggies as would fit in the wrap. Always tasty and healthy, as far as restaurant food goes.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with Subway. I think some people might "hate" on it due to personal preference. I like Subway, but I also like my subs with cheese, mayo, etc so I try to avoid going there because getting it with no cheese and mayo isn't quite the same. Not to mention the bread is never fresh when I get it and the lunch meat is loaded with sodium and preservatives. That being said, there are healthy choices there but I'd rather go elsewhere.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think it is more because of the food they use...not how it is prepared. As I have worked there before everything is processed and fake!!! Most their meats are a processed turkey base...their fresh bread remains frozen for weeks before thawed and is loaded with HFCS. The only veggies sliced daily are tomatoes and onions...the rest is not fresh and comes out of bags filled with preservatives to keep them fresh-ish. So its not so much the calories but the poor quality of food most talk about!
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    because it's low-grade sub-par food that tastes terrible
    Agreed. But I don't 'hate' it. I just won't eat there.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    because it's low-grade sub-par food that tastes terrible
    ...and in your opinion, what is "high-grade superior-par food that tastes great"?

Well if we're talking sandwiches, then something from an authentic Italian or Jewish deli.

+1
    Plus, I always feel ill after I eat there. I don't really care if someone else eats there, but don't kid yourself about it being 'fresh'
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat Subway at least once every day and my losses are pretty consistent still. I usually get a 6"in on wheat/double meat club/NO CHEESE with the works. Just have to make sure your very conservative with the sauces. I usually tell them "once across lightly" with Honey Mustard. It very filling with all of the veg.

You can make healthy decisions at most restaurants/fast food places just as you can make unhealthy ones. The devil is in the details.

As far as presevatives, msg, and salt go...that means very little to me. Im sure that they have some impact but I have to enjoy my food at least a little.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    My reason is simple. I am a diabetic and the bread is so high in carbs. Other than that I could hurt me some Subway subs!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Are they saying that Jared is a liar--what about Jillian Michaels--those sports guys I don't know but who say it's good for you :)...I like the veggie sub with avocado..it is tasty for when I do not have time to pack. If I pack a sandwich, I also pack processed meat...so I'm not sure what the diff is...and their bread isn't the best but it's ok...I think they people who don't like it are a little bit more intense about this whole "healthy" thing than me.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    their bread is HORRIBLE. why do they use such substandard bread? and their meats are school cafeteria quality.

there are so many decent sub/sandwich places around i dont understand why anyone would go to subway.

they do have fantastic marketing.

yup

Exactly...I don't eat there because the quality of the food is horrible. The smell eminating from the place even from the parking lot is enough to drive me away. This is just bad food. Processed, chemically preserved, mass produced, stored, and hauled to various locations to be shoveled out to the masses with the labels of "fresh" and "healthy".
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My stance is: Why pay somebody else to do what I can do better myself and for less money?

Because you don't have the ingredients and you're on the run?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Are they saying that Jared is a liar--what about Jillian Michaels--those sports guys I don't know but who say it's good for you :)...I like the veggie sub with avocado..it is tasty for when I do not have time to pack. If I pack a sandwich, I also pack processed meat...so I'm not sure what the diff is...and their bread isn't the best but it's ok...I think they people who don't like it are a little bit more intense about this whole "healthy" thing than me.

:flowerforyou:
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    their bread is HORRIBLE. why do they use such substandard bread? and their meats are school cafeteria quality.

there are so many decent sub/sandwich places around i dont understand why anyone would go to subway.

they do have fantastic marketing.

yup

Exactly...I don't eat there because the quality of the food is horrible. The smell eminating from the place even from the parking lot is enough to drive me away. This is just bad food. Processed, chemically preserved, mass produced, stored, and hauled to various locations to be shoveled out to the masses with the labels of "fresh" and "healthy".

Man it must be a helluva lot better living in a small town because I have never had any of those issues with the ones in my town. I dont think I have ever been able to smell a Subway before I actually went inside lol. If that were the case I would not eat there either.
  • Eh, I work nights, and I work 12 hour-14 hour shifts. I don't really have time to be making all my meals ahead of time, especially if I want them to be healthy and full of delicious veggies.
    So instead of going to fast food or a gas station on the way to pick up a snack, I stop at Subway and pick up a chopped salad or a loaded six inch flatbread.

Of course, you have to remind them not to dump 1/4c of sauce all over everything.
    But after that, Subway does alright. I tend to go about once a week, on Tuesday or Wednesday night, which is my 14 hour shift.

For someone who's incredibly busy and stuck having to rush food, Subway is a better option to a McDonald's drive through.

And I suppose I am spoiled with a generally good quality Subway near my workplace. I have worked in food service before, and I know a couple tricks.
    Veggies that aren't fresh at Subway tend to be spinach and lettuce. So I load a six inch up with cucumber, tomato, olives and all three peppers. I also get the honey mustard, because it's the lowest calorie/lowest fat creamy sauce they have. If the lettuce looks fresh, I get a salad.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I like my footlong buffalo chicken on white with pepperjack and ranch and I'm not afraid to show it, show it, show it.... I eat Subway and I know it.