Whats wrong with Subway?

Options

Replies

• hippietrailbadass
    Options
    First off, people are really brave behind their keyboards.

As far as Subway goes, you probably could get fresher, more nutrient-dense food somewhere else, but it serves it's purpose. If you're in a hurry. a veggie-filled sandwich isn't going to hurt you. It will give you energy which is what your body needs to keep you going.
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with Subway, just like everything, in moderation.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Subway > most fast food places you can go to nowadays.
  • vicktoria339
    Options
    I see no probs with subway either, im vegetarian and a six inch veggie delite on wheat bread is less than 300 cals - basically a salad sandwich. *shrugs* i like it!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    their bread is HORRIBLE. why do they use such substandard bread? and their meats are school cafeteria quality.

there are so many decent sub/sandwich places around i dont understand why anyone would go to subway.

they do have fantastic marketing.

yup

Exactly...I don't eat there because the quality of the food is horrible. The smell eminating from the place even from the parking lot is enough to drive me away. This is just bad food. Processed, chemically preserved, mass produced, stored, and hauled to various locations to be shoveled out to the masses with the labels of "fresh" and "healthy".

Man it must be a helluva lot better living in a small town because I have never had any of those issues with the ones in my town. I dont think I have ever been able to smell a Subway before I actually went inside lol. If that were the case I would not eat there either.

are you saying that small town Subways use different ingredients? im sorry but that is just not true. its just that you are accustomed to eating bad sandwiches and are desensitized to it. if you ever get a chance grab a sub at a legit sub shop or deli and your eyes will be opened. :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Sodium (NA) content is my main beef with them, but I have that same issue with ALL restaurants. I wish that you could place your orders on touchscreens (like Sheetz or Wawa) that also showed nutritional info (NI) at the same time (especially NA). When traveling this summer, I was at an restaurant chain (forget their name) at the airport that had such a touchscreen. All of the so-called healthy options that I would've normally considered (e.g. salads, baked/grilled meats, etc.) had almost a full day's worth of NA! I ended up ordering a steak wrap which extraordinarily had less NA than ANY of their salads (even without dressing) and even the chicken wrap. Even more amazing was that the other macros were reasonable as well (calories, fat, etc.) Without that info, the steak wrap would've probably been on the bottom of list.
    To think that as a high school senior I used to eat a LOADED (yup even mayo) footlong meatball sub almost every school day for lunch, plus a quart of orange DRINK (maybe 5-10% real juice) and a nutty bar. This was 1989-90, so you didn't have the fancy NI banners on everything or Internet access like you do today. That year I didn't gain a single pound either, but I can't help but wonder what my BP was during that timeframe. :sick: I wish I had that metabolism again... youth is wasted on the young.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    people just be b**ching because they are bored.
    Sure raw organic unprocessed food that you cook yourself will be higher quality... but it's unrealistic for most people.
    Like some others have said, calories in and calories out is the big deal. Then macros. Then if you want, you can play with micros. Then if you're really bored, you can whine about food sources and pesticides and what "organic" really means... blah blah blah. Point is, people hate on Subway because they can. Tomorrow it will be something else.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    They mix the tuna and mayo up with their bare hands and they don't use gloves. :flowerforyou: I'm serious.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the food, just the dirty knives. :laugh:
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think people hate on it for the the way the bread is made...apparently it has HFCS.

Personally, I'd rather make my own sandwich with whatever toppings/amount of meat I want on mine. :P
  • They mix the tuna and mayo up with their bare hands and they don't use gloves. :flowerforyou: I'm serious.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Yeah, the mixing process on tunas, and any other mayo-based-salad-like-thing is going to have sup-par sanitation. While most use gloves and do all the cleaning and whatever, a lot of places slack REALLY bad.

Other fast food examples:
    Cole slaw, BBQ shredded chicken at KFC
    Chicken salad at Arby's
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't know about people hating on it here but I limit Subway to only once a month or so because of the sodium. Yeah, my sandwich might only be 500 calories but it is also about 2000 mg of sodium.....and that's for a 6".

The bread itself is loaded with sodium as well as the meats and the sauces. You just can't get away from it unless you order a salad - which costs more than a sandwich, go figure!

Anyway, I personally don't eat at Subway because of the sodium levels. They are way too high for me to justify having it.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The couple of locations near me are just terrible. No clue how to build a sandwich, it's just a sloppy mess no matter when I go in there.

I prefer Jersey Mikes if I want a sub. Costs a little more, but I think it's worth it.

Love Jersey Mikes!! They just built one right by me, fell in love the first time I had one. One of the best subs, especially mike's way (probably not the healthiest that way lol), delicious!

My only issue with subway is the bread to other stuff, so so much bread lol but if you are just doing cals in/cals out, i don't really see why it is a bad option :0) Like most people said, I would think it is the better option in fast food compared to most.

And no matter what fast food is fast food and it all has high sodium levels. If you are going to eat fast food to begin with, I don't see how subway is any worse then any of the others.

ETA - correcting
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    They mix the tuna and mayo up with their bare hands and they don't use gloves. :flowerforyou: I'm serious.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that. Yeah, the mixing process on tunas, and any other mayo-based-salad-like-thing is going to have sup-par sanitation. While most use gloves and do all the cleaning and whatever, a lot of places slack REALLY bad.

Chicken salad at Arby's

Actually, I worked at Subway years ago and we NEVER did that. Our subways were spotless and we took cleanliness and sanitation very seriously.
  • auroranflash
    Options

Chicken salad at Arby's

True that. One of the customers found my coworker Stephen's bandaid in their tuna. Manager was lucky they didn't sue. I would have. :sick:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    this is funny.... you don't like subway ...then ..duh..don't eat it.

for some of us, it's the lesser of evils so we can go out to eat with co workers and still maintain rather than eat popeyes or something else. a 6 inch sub doesn't destroy my day..

to each his/her own.

I agree. At the hospital I work at, my choices for lunch are Subway, or the cafeteria. For a hospital, you know HEALTH care, their cafe food is gross-fried and sitting in oil....ugh.

So if I'm working an 8 hour shift, it's a 6 inch sub and an iced tea. Not like I do that every day.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Whatever makes people happy sells :)
  • auroranflash
    Options

Chicken salad at Arby's

Actually, I worked at Subway years ago and we NEVER did that. Our subways were spotless and we took cleanliness and sanitation very seriously.

I've literally worked at about 8 different stores as a manager who would jump between stores... there was always one person at every store who bare-fisted it. :laugh:
  • They mix the tuna and mayo up with their bare hands and they don't use gloves. :flowerforyou: I'm serious.

Chicken salad at Arby's

I've literally worked at about 8 different stores as a manager who would jump between stores... there was always one person at every store who bare-fisted it. :laugh:

I was too grossed out at KFC to bare-fist the coleslaw, but I saw my manager do it once when one of the other crew didn't wanna do it that day.
    I almost barfed. Less because of the customers, but more because making the coleslaw is so gross.
    The super processed whale-blubber-fry-sauce looking stuff we used for the dressing is very sticky and mucky.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    That's it guys. I'm calling Jared, he'll put you all in your place :drinker: