Replies

• IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    The meat and the knife. Omgz gross.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Aint nothin wrong with Subway. Some people are crazy lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    because it's low-grade sub-par food that tastes terrible
    ...and in your opinion, what is "high-grade superior-par food that tastes great"?

Well if we're talking sandwiches, then something from an authentic Italian or Jewish deli.

Sounds yummy, wish I had one around the corner ;)

I have no idea where to find such a place. :laugh:
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love subway!! My only beef with it is the foot longs are almost NEVVVVVVVVVVVVER actually $5. :grumble:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The problem with subway is that the majority of the calories in their sandwiches come from nutrtionally poor non-complex carbs. Their "wheat" bread is basically white bread (sorry!). Diets that are high in "high GI" carbs typically cause weight gain, not weight loss.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, then it's easier to lose weight w/o worrying about macros. But the less fat you have, then more muscle gets burned off with the fat. Therefore it becomes much more important to get plenty of protein in your diet. Unfortunately subway sandwiches have a fairly high carb to protein ratio.

Eating above your TDEE causes fat gain. Protein is highly over rated, increased protein doesn't cause increase in muscle mass.

No, it doesn't. You also have to pick up heavy things and put them down repeatedly. :bigsmile:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Subway. Just like anything, you still have to make smart choices and many times, the choices I may there are better than I would at other fastfood places.

I don't always have the time to make my own food...life is hectic and I won't be wasting time driving myself crazy over the little things.
  • mreuvers
    mreuvers Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    True story; I ate subway and gained 20lbs.

If you have the pop, chip or cookies then yes you would gain weight. Subway has a calorie guide and if you follow it you wouldn't have gained weight.
  • animallover1989
    Options
    I just hate everything about subway. I think its tastes absolutely disgusting. The bread they use and the meat they use.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Umm..I'm little pissed that they wanna pose as a healthy option but their healthist sandwich is not a $5 footlong. FUDGERS! lol
  • gwenette
    Options
    I think it's fine, certainly helathier and better tasting than the Golden Arches.

No matter what you do, some people here feel obligated to slam it. If you can make it work for you.... go for it...!!

Amen!! You know some folks on this sight think they are professional dietician..they know everything about everything BUT wait then why are they still on here with the rest of us trying to lose their big booties...LOL
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    SODIUM! and well, I no eat gluten or I want to die. However Subway is coming out with a gluten free product and has already in some places and then I will go have a veggie sub if they don't cross contaminate with their gloves from touching gluten and then the veggies and back again. That being said, deli meat has far too much sodium and one serving would put me over my daily limit and my fingers would swell, I would bloat... no thanks. No processed foods for this girl.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I've had Subway 2-3 times a month during my diet for the past 7 months, and have lost 42 pounds along the way - many times seeing no gains or even weight losses the day after. There was a thread here a while back where people were saying McDonalds was fine if you chose the right items to eat.

Some people are parade rainers. I say let 'em rain somewhere else.

Subway is OK with me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Processed meats full of sodium and MSG - gives me a migraine
    Bread - Can't eat it now, but even when I did Subway is just too much bread to meat & veggie ratio to me

For the same calories, I'd much rather have a huge salad with protein and full fat full flavor dressing
    And for me, 15% protein is way too low. My ratios are more 30% carb, 40% protein, 30% fat

I don't think it has MSG in it or else my hubby would be getting headaches. MSG gives him headaches and stomach issues.

Okay, I double checked their website faqs and found this:
    The SUBWAY® brand does not add MSG to any of the standard menu items. However, other ingredients such as hydrolyzed or textured vegetable proteins and/or autolyzed yeast are used in our products. These ingredients contain glutamates that may cause similar sensitivities that MSG causes.

It was my understanding that TVP and Autolyzed Yeast contain MSG and both definitely affect me the same.

That's interesting. It doesn't affect hubby at all, but MSG always affects him. He can't eat at Burger King at all. And we go to a specific Chinese restaurant that doesn't use MSG.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine, certainly helathier and better tasting than the Golden Arches.

No matter what you do, some people here feel obligated to slam it. If you can make it work for you.... go for it...!!

PERFECTLY STATED!!!
  • mmjohal
    mmjohal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My family owns 5 Subways in Lower Mainland Vancouver, B.C. I used to work there for 7 years while I attended University. I washed, cut and prepped the vegetables twice a shift (6 hours) and for the most part is a very healthy alternative to Fast Food. The meat is processed, so definitely stay away from Cold Cuts, Meatball, BBQ Rib. Turkey is lower in sodium so that is my favorite "go to". When the sandwich artist is prepping the bread ask him/her to scoop out the "bready" or "meaty" part of the bun to create only a shell for your sandwich. This can significantly reduce the carb intake. Load up on veggies. The green peppers are high in Vitamin D and they are raw so all the nutrients are available in the veggie. Skip the cheese as it is processed. Mustard has Zero calories so load up that. Skip the mayonaise. Italian Dressing is lower in calories or you can always use olive oil/vinegar to dress your sandwich. Ask for black pepper only, skip the salt. I eat this about once a week just get a break from my place of work and it tastes so good. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Subway. They have nothing to hide and you can find all of their ingredients/calories on their website. Also, if you are looking for another fast food restaraunt, try Pita Pit or Extreme Pita (these are located in Canada but I'm sure you can find a pita restaraunt in the U.S.) I order the grilled chicken on whole wheat with chickpeas (protein) and tons of veggies. For cheese, I stick to feta as it is the healthier option. I use hummas as my dressing. There are some very misleading advice in these forums so pay attention to your instincts. Have a wonderful weekend MFP'ers.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm just talking regular healthy eating. You know, food-guide style... where the daily recommended intake is 55% carbs, 30% fats and 15% protein along with plenty of vitamins and minerals.

i go more of a paleo route.... believe it or not, even 'whole grain wheat' breads are bad for you. Grains aren't what they used to be before people started altering everything. it all turns to sugar when it gets into your system, and generally goes straight to belly fat, among other places. Subway salads are ok, add a roasted chicken to it and some italian dressing and you're good. Fat free dressings are worse for you than regular if you are trying to keep to a cleaner eating pallet. sure they're lower in fat, but between all of the chemicals that's pumped into them to keep flavor, they're definitely not the better choice. Cheese isn't good in general.

Believe it or not, bread is GOOD for me!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I like it enough. More of a Jimmy John's person myself, though.

THEY EFFING DELIVER! oh i love jimmy johns

I still say Planet Sub is the BEST! Then Mr. Goodcents, then Subway. (I'm still wondering where these mysterious "real" delis are! :laugh: )
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    There are some very misleading advice in these forums so pay attention to your instincts. Have a wonderful weekend MFP'ers.

Yes, because people who are 100-200+ pounds overweight can trust their instincts when it comes to food. /facepalm

That said, we can go back and forth on this all day, but the fact is that while Subway may be the lesser of 50 evils, they are still not what they claim to be. I think most of the people who hate them, harbor that hatred more because of their advertising than anything else.
  • Hakarn
    Hakarn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    still maintain rather than eat popeyes or something else. a 6 inch sub doesn't destroy my day..

Actually popeyes isn't so bad if you pick the right stuff.

For cal/carb/fat/protein:

Subway sweet onion chicken teriyaki: 276 / 59 / 5 / 26
    Popeyes 5 piece naked tenders: 283 / 3 / 3 / 43 --- Throw in some hot sauce if you want something more lively with 0 calories.

There are multiple view points on this topic as a whole. Total calories per day is one of them. If you want to lose weight, you can still pretty much eat anything you want to (i.e. go to "bad restaurants") as long as you stay under a certain calorie goal. No matter where you eat at, even at home, you need to factor in how many calories you are ingesting.

The other major issue (that people are raising in this post) is based on muscle loss. If you eat high carbs, yes you may still lose weight, but you may be losing a lot of muscle. The reason people are saying that you need high protein is because it is really difficult to NOT lose muscle while losing total weight. You need somewhere between 0.5 to 0.75 grams of protein per pound per day to not lose muscle. If you are 200 pounds, you would need between 100-150 g protein per day to not lose much muscle. If you have a 1300 calorie diet with 55/30/15, it means you are ingesting 50 g of protein per day. This boils down to you losing 2-3 times more muscle as your weight loss than you could be with a higher %protein diet.

It is next to impossible to lose weight and not lose muscle, even when you include intense exercise. I'm doing somewhere around 30/35/35 in my diet and am still losing over 1 pound of muscle per 5 pounds lost.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. What is wrong with a healthy sandwich from Subway?
    I don't mean the footlong sandwich with extra bacon and cheese grilled with no veggies and a side of 2 coookies and a regular coke.

I don't understand why so many people hate on Subway here on MFP.

I honestly think that my 6-inch on 9grain bread sub with turkey or ham along with cheese and light mayo and fully loaded list of veggies is not bad for me. Honestly, It pretty much follows the healthy eating food guide. Sure processed meats have a bit too much sodium, but otherwise, I don't see the problem with a sub described above... yet so many on MFP are against Subway, or think its awful.

If you think so, please explain in a rational and civilized manner why you think Subway isn't a good choice for people. I'd like to know why and I'd like you to suggest something easy to prepare (and tasty) that I can pack in under 400 calories with a reasonable amount of veggies/fruit (my vitamins are important), carbs (not too much sugar and a reasonable amount of fibre), protein and fats (preferably the healthy fats).

I'm not talking low-carb diet or high-protein diet. I can't do keto or Atkins, seriously, I've tried it, its not for me, I felt so lethargic.
    I'm just talking regular healthy eating. You know, food-guide style... where the daily recommended intake is 55% carbs, 30% fats and 15% protein along with plenty of vitamins and minerals.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy. And, because you are pregnant you should stay far far away from Subway. The risk of listeria from processed lunch meats is too high. http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

Subway even "recommends that pregnant women eat the following non-luncheon meat items such as meatball, steak and cheese, roasted chicken, and tuna (limit 2 servings a week)." But, I would never trust Subway employees to not cross contaminate their food as they do not change their gloves between handling different food products and different sandwiches.