Whats wrong with Subway?

Options

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Any diet that recommends that your intake be 55/30/15 is retarded.

Are you serious?! It's 2012 and you are still using the R word?!?

So.. the year changes to 2012 and all of a sudden there are rules for what words to say for different years? How..well, retarded.

you are not aware of this? there was a time when saying "colored" was accepted...you should try saying that now. :)

whether or not the people saying it realize, it is truly a hateful word when used in the context it is. it's no different than throwing out a homophobic or racial slur.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    This is the type of thing I find extremely funny. People hating on subway because of carbs and such. Weight loss is very simple. It's all about CALORIES. I haven't tracked anything besides calories the entire time I have been losing weight and not once have I hit a plateau, had any issues losing weight or anything to that nature. Eat what you want, just stay within your calorie range for the day and you'll be fine.

I concur. 23 pounds down in less than 3 months by only counting my calories.
  • rachaelfisher1
    Options
    What you should be asking is -- what is right with subway?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with it if you enjoy it.

Period.

I stopped going when they stopped carrying swiss cheese, though.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options

So.. the year changes to 2012 and all of a sudden there are rules for what words to say for different years? How..well, retarded.

you are not aware of this? there was a time when saying "colored" was accepted...you should try saying that now. :)

whether or not the people saying it realize, it is truly a hateful word when used in the context it is. it's no different than throwing out a homophobic or racial slur.

Sorry, had to laugh at this. I have a special needs son and I don't find the "R" word that offensive when used in this context. It's not as if they were in a "special needs" person's face calling them retarded. Now if someone called my son that word, it'd be all over for them. But I don't get why if someone calls something "retarted" or "gay" it's so offensive to people. Over politcal correctness drives me insane.
  • omanitshann
    Options
    it's not horrible, but definitely something I would only get once in awhile.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

Sorry, had to laugh at this. I have a special needs son and I don't find the "R" word that offensive when used in this context. It's not as if they were in a "special needs" person's face calling them retarded. Now if someone called my son that word, it'd be all over for them. But I don't get why if someone calls something "retarted" or "gay" it's so offensive to people. Over politcal correctness drives me insane.

the fact that you are 'laughing,' even with a special needs son, makes me sad.

here's an opinion piece, written by a young man with Down Syndrome, that ran in the Denver Post. laugh away.
    By John Franklin Stephens
    What's the big deal about using the word "retard"?

A lot of people are talking about the movie "Tropic Thunder." One of the reasons that it is being talked about is that the characters use the term "retard" over and over. They use it the same way that kids do all the time, to jokingly insult one another.

The people who made the movie, DreamWorks and Paramount, and many of the critics who have reviewed it, say that the term is being used by characters who are dumb and shallow themselves.

You see, we are supposed to get the joke that it is only the dumb and shallow people who use a term that means dumb and shallow. My dad tells me that this is called "irony."

So, what's the big deal?

Let me try to explain.

I am a 26-year-old man with Down Syndrome. I am very lucky. Even though I was born with this intellectual disability, I do pretty well and have a good life. I live and work in the community. I count as friends the people I went to school with and the people I meet in my job.

Every day I get closer to living a life like yours.

I am a Global Messenger for Special Olympics and make speeches to people all over the country. I once spoke to over 10,000 people at the Richmond Coliseum. I realize that I am a voice for other people with intellectual disabilities who cannot easily speak for themselves. I thank God that he gave me this chance to be someone's voice.

The hardest thing about having an intellectual disability is the loneliness. We process information slower than everyone else. So even normal conversation is a constant battle for us not to lose touch with what the rest of you are saying. Most of the time the words and thoughts just go too fast for us to keep up, and when we finally say something it seems out of place.

We are aware when all the rest of you stop and just look at us. We are aware when you look at us and just say, "unh huh," and then move on, talking to each other. You mean no harm, but you have no idea how alone we feel even when we are with you.

That is why I love being a Global Messenger. I work for days telling my dad what I want to talk about and he tries to write it down for me. Then we do it over and over until we have something that says what I mean. We wrote this letter the same way.

So, what's wrong with "retard"? I can only tell you what it means to me and people like me when we hear it. It means that the rest of you are excluding us from your group. We are something that is not like you and something that none of you would ever want to be. We are something outside the "in" group. We are someone that is not your kind.

I want you to know that it hurts to be left out here, alone. Nothing scares me as much as feeling all alone in a world that moves so much faster than I do.

You don't mean to make me feel that way. In fact, like I say in some of my speeches, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," and it works out OK most of the time. Still, it hurts and scares me when I am the only person with intellectual disabilities on the bus and young people start making "retard" jokes or references.

Please put yourself on that bus and fill the bus with people who are different from you. Imagine that they start making jokes using a term that describes you. It hurts and it is scary.

Last, I get the joke — the irony — that only dumb and shallow people are using a term that means dumb and shallow. The problem is, it is only funny if you think a "retard" is someone dumb and shallow. I am not those things, but every time the term is used it tells young people that it is OK to think of me that way and to keep me on the outside.

That is why using "retard" is a big deal to people like me.

John Franklin Stephens is a Special Olympics Virginia athlete and Global Messenger who lives in Fairfax, Va.

• Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love Subway. It's much more healthy than eating at McDonalds or other fast food restaurants. Eat what works for you!
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to become concerned that I have never noticed any strong repulsive odors eminating from Subway. I am going to go there tomorrow and just stand outside smelling the air. Yes they will probably find it weird, and they may even call the cops but I am going to get to the bottom of this damnt:)
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options

ugh, get over it. it's not a swear word.

anyway, i love subway, i don't get the hate either. it's a great alternative to high-fat, greasy fast food.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For some reason, it doesn't seem to matter what I order there it always tastes the same :(
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Subway is pretty salty to me now ^^. Well, any fast food or restaurant food tastes pretty darn salty. After starting to eat well, I no longer felt the need to add a ton of garlic salt to everything I eat @.@.

The good thing about Subway is that it can provide a sandwich with lots of vegetables and be fairly low calorie for a lot of food ^^,
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Could be all the corn fructose that is in the bread. Perhaps the fact that the stuff is BANNED in so many countries. I guess it's a start...... then the fact it's sooooooooooo high in cals even for a ham, turkey & salad.

All good reasons to NOT have it.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I don't think subway is bad! I distinctly remember eating it regularly when I was a uni student with lots of work and little time - for lunch it was affordable, fresh and healthy in comparison to other things available.

I don't eat subway now because I think I overdid it back in my uni days... weirdly the thing that puts me off is that 'subway' smell haha - no idea why. Shame really because I used to really enjoy it. Ah well, those were the days. Health wise though I think they do a good range of options so you can have things pretty much as you want them. One thing I like over here in NZ is that they use things like avocado which weren't available in the UK stores (not sure about now).

Happy munching folks :) maybe I ought to try one again this week haha
  • SaucePear
    Options
    I worked at a Subway a while back, their ingredients where I worked were honestly not bad: locally sourced veges and such. One thing I will mention though is that there is very little difference, nutritionally, between the breads. If you're eating wheat cause you think its better for you, but don't actually like it as much as white then don't bother. At Subway you may as well eat whichever bread you like, they're all mostly the same.
    The wraps are a bit lower on carbs, but not by as much as you'd think.
    If you really want a nice healthy sub though stay away from the sauces. They're often very high in sugar. I usually just get a bit of salt and pepper, which is just lovely.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Subway nor salt. Why all the hating on salt? Its good for you!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Their veggies and sauces are yummy, but their bread is not as good as bread I would buy at a store as far as healthy options. The 9 grain bread, is not whole grain. :/
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

Sometimes it bothers me, others it does not, but it depends on the context. I think it is a bit weird since many words in English have multiple definitions. What next? If I talk about (street) signs, should you not be insulted if you're deaf? Is there a problem if I ask a blind person to look at it from my point of view? No. There are multiple meanings for a lot of words! If we took offense to all of them it would be a pretty busy world.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Retard means to slow.

If you are offended by the word retard, you are clearly close to being retarded (the offensive meaning).
  • WalterWallCarpet
    Options
    I'm not going back through eleven pages of posts to check if this has been said already, but I'd like to point out that every Subway I've ever passed smells of drains.