Milk...?

Options
How much should I be drinking? I am trying to cut out fats. Or should I not be drinking it? Thanks.

Replies

• Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you trying to cut out? You could switch to skim-milk or almond milk.
  • emwaitexo
    Options
    Well I know your supposed to have some fats in your diet. So close to no fats. The thing is my mom usually buys 2% milk. I get skim milk at school, though.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not sure "how much" you should be drinking but if your trying to cut down on fats Almond milk I believe would be a better alternative then milk from a cow.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    none
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk...but rarely now because of the amount of carbs in it. Makes me sad because I LOVE milk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Milk is a nutritional bargain. Inexpensive, has protein, potassium, vitamin D, calcium, and other nutrients your body needs for very few calories.

Fit it into your macros. 2% is fine, just drink what's available. Maybe Mom can compromise and buy 1%.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    bump because someone is bound to say something like 'milk is evil' bleh bleh bleh and I need a laugh.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk isn't as healthy as everyone makes it out to be!

As long as you're getting enough calcium/protein/vitamins you don't have to drink milk at all. A lot of people are allergic to dairy these days. Dairy, especially milk really bothers my stomach so I never drink it.

But I DO love almond milk! And it has more calcium, less protein but you can get that from other sources. If you like milk then by all means drink it but I think it tastes disgusting and is a waste of calorie for me cos I hate it so much and it makes me feel physically ill. I don't even put milk or cream in my coffee cos even that small amount grosses me out/bother my stomach.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Well I know your supposed to have some fats in your diet. So close to no fats. The thing is my mom usually buys 2% milk. I get skim milk at school, though.

Close to no fats is not even close to being enough. Try aiming for 20-30% of your calories from fat. What's your calorie target? Oh and to answer your question--as much as you want to drink.
  • CoderGal
    Options

As long as you're getting enough calcium/protein/vitamins you don't have to drink milk at all. A lot of people are allergic to dairy these days. Dairy, especially milk really bothers my stomach so I never drink it.

But I DO love almond milk! And it has more calcium, less protein but you can get that from other sources. If you like milk then by all means drink it but I think it tastes disgusting and is a waste of calorie for me cos I hate it so much and it makes me feel physically ill. I don't even put milk or cream in my coffee cos even that small amount grosses me out/bother my stomach.

Everyone who thinks a particular thing is healthy should read this well informed girls post:
    "5. There are NO healthy or unhealthy foods. This was the first thing that my nutritionist told me. I had been categorizing, like many of you, food into "healthy", "okay occasionally," and "bad for you!". She debunked this rather quickly. Huge amounts of anything can be harmful. But no one food can destroy or restore health, so no one food is healthy or unhealthy. "
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/787081-all-should-read-eds-calories-and-the-truth

Can't argue with logic.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut out fats? They are necessary for healthy body function.

And regarding milk - as long as you fit it into your calorie and macro targets there is nothing wrong with it and in fact it has a good amount of nutrients in it.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut out fats? They are necessary for healthy body function.

And regarding milk - as long as you fit it into your calorie and macro targets there is nothing wrong with it and in fact it has a good amount of nutrients in it.
    ^what the girl with the nice *kitten* said.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Fats won't make you fat, why are you trying to cut them? Milk is a good source of protein and calcium. You're fine with or without it, it's up to you, but you need nutrients in some form or another.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Everyone is just trying to say, focus on your calories not so much on macro nutrients.

I am not - I am saying to focus on both :tongue:
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Everyone who thinks a particular thing is healthy should read this well informed girls post:
    "5. There are NO healthy or unhealthy foods. This was the first thing that my nutritionist told me. I had been categorizing, like many of you, food into "healthy", "okay occasionally," and "bad for you!". She debunked this rather quickly. Huge amounts of anything can be harmful. But no one food can destroy or restore health, so no one food is healthy or unhealthy. "
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/787081-all-should-read-eds-calories-and-the-truth

Can't argue with logic.
    That comment was far from logical. Many foods can destroy your health, & many foods can restore it.

Also, cow's milk is puke-worthy.
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was a HUGE Milk-o-holic (like half a gallon in a day), but realized how much I was drinking was contributing to my weight issues. I switched to Silk Soy Light and love it. I also found out I had less allergy issues when I switched - who knew! :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Can't argue with logic.
    That comment was far from logical. Many foods can destroy your health, & many foods can restore it.

Your personal taste buds and intolerances aside, care to explain why/how milk is unhealthy?
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If your body can handle milk without any adverse side effects, congratulations. A lot of people are lactose intolerant and don't realize it. Personally, anything made with straight milk makes me temporarily ill. That being said, according to my nutritionist, someone with my makeup should be getting 2-3 cups of dairy per day. Less than that, one risks not getting enough calcium and vitamins in their diet. More than that, well, I don't think you can overdose but it would probably be better if you drank something else.
  • DixieStarr76
    Options
    As a personal choice to cut calories, I switched to Blue Diamond almond milk. I was shocked to like it. I prefer the vanilla. I think it has 60 calories a serving. My kids like the chocolate version. It's 120 calories, and it tastes like Yoo-hoo. If you like regular milk, and the calories fit your numbers, then go ahead. Over time, I reduced milk from whole to 1%. That way it wasn't a big deal. I like the almond milk so much more that I wish I had changed sooner. :smile:
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options

Can't argue with logic.

Your personal taste buds and intolerances aside, care to explain why/how milk is unhealthy?
    Besides the fact that humans are the only animal to drink milk past childhood, and the only ones to drink the milk of another animal, cow's milk (the non-organic, non-raw, mass-produced kind you find in grocery stores) contains artificial growth hormone, and remains of dead white blood cells and bacteria that were killed during the pasteurization process. And the conditions the cows are raised in are completely sickening - which is the main reason pasteurization is even necessary. Without that step, we would literally be drinking live bacteria and feces.

Also, studies have shown that drinking cow's milk is not only linked to a huge amount of common allergies & ailments in humans, but it also does not improve calcium absorption like people widely believe. It actually has the opposite effect. Because human bones can't properly absorb that type of calcium, it ends up actually depleting the bones of calcium and leading to osteoporosis.

Finally, all cow's milk, even raw, is designed for baby cows, not humans. Even grown cows don't drink cow's milk. From a biological perspective, it makes no sense for us to either.