It's NOT that hard.

Options

Replies

• jen_6
    jen_6 Posts: 3
    Options
    I also started at 95kg and have been dropping a kilo a week since I started. Just wondering when/if that slowed down for you?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I also started at 95kg and have been dropping a kilo a week since I started. Just wondering when/if that slowed down for you?

Actually slowed down about 2 months ago & then didn't budge for about 3 weeks. Could not get past 70kg at all. Now I can't stop it from coming off :(
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It's hard for some. For others not so much. Working odd shifts, single mothers/fathers raising kids, physical issues, medical issues, mental issues etc etc. They key thing is NOT to give up and quit. So many people get discouraged and give up beacause of slow progress never realizing that slow progress, is still progress.
  • jen_6
    Options
    That's great! I'm hoping that it is about the same for me too. By the way, I didn't think your pat was *****y, just honest.
  • jen_6
    Options
    Post, sorry stupid iPad keyboard.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Actually slowed down about 2 months ago & then didn't budge for about 3 weeks. Could not get past 70kg at all. Now I can't stop it from coming off :(

Maybe try upping your calories, and lift or do resistance training. Your body will thank you.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's hard for some. For others not so much. Working odd shifts, single mothers/fathers raising kids, physical issues, medical issues, mental issues etc etc. They key thing is NOT to give up and quit. So many people get discouraged and give up beacause of slow progress never realizing that slow progress, is still progress.

this :))))))
  • saudade108
    Options
    Probably the same way that for someone clinically depressed, sometimes it is truly hard to find the motivation to get out of bed. To most people that seems so easy!

But I do love this quote: "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it's very easy to equate struggling / failure / needing lots of support with laziness / lack of effort, particularly if *you* are prone to those things.

What is easy for some is hard for others (be it algebra or driving a car or tight-rope-walking). That's just life. It takes a pretty big (pardon the pun) person to learn to *respect* differences, rather than attack / berate / minimise / dismiss them in an attempt to homogenise the world.

Don't forget - it's not just effort that goes into weightloss. Yes, moving your *kitten* is a huge part of it... but there's a truckload of psychology behind weight gain so there's a truckload behind weight loss. Genetics play a factor, circumstance etc. I understand you might be frustrated and I'm sure your opinion ultimately comes from a good place "LOOK, PERSON, I DID IT YOU CAN TOO, IT'S REALLY NOT THAT HARD"... but it's probably the same as saying to an agoraphobic "just go outside" or an anorexic "just eat something".

At the end of the day, if someone needs a bit more support and motivation from others than you did, that's their journey and it's ok. If they're legitimately just lazy whingers - delete and move on :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    We are all different.

It doesn't seem it was really that 'hard' for Richard Branson to do what he did.
    There are billions that would like to do the same too, but I think it's fair to see he has something in his make-up that the rest of us don't.

I've been a lot better with my weight loss this time (though I've gone from 16 -> 12.5 stone several times); a bit better research, and a bit more flexibility in my time.

For the majority I'd suggest it's still a battle over long term vs short term pleasure; with for many of us it being sooo easy to go hop back to the 'short term' side; be it having that slice of cake, or not doing the hour's walking after to burn it off.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    i found the op very honest, and I appreciate that. Im just getting over an operation and day 8 today and got back on the treadmill, cant box for a little while yet. I find it hard not being able to do what I was, so im the other way round. Congrats on all your hard work, nobody can take that from you well done :) also I like your personal challenge of burning 1000 in one session, im gonna borrow that one :)
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I think it's very easy to equate struggling / failure / needing lots of support with laziness / lack of effort, particularly if *you* are prone to those things.

What is easy for some is hard for others (be it algebra or driving a car or tight-rope-walking). That's just life. It takes a pretty big (pardon the pun) person to learn to *respect* differences, rather than attack / berate / minimise / dismiss them in an attempt to homogenise the world.

Don't forget - it's not just effort that goes into weightloss. Yes, moving your *kitten* is a huge part of it... but there's a truckload of psychology behind weight gain so there's a truckload behind weight loss. Genetics play a factor, circumstance etc. I understand you might be frustrated and I'm sure your opinion ultimately comes from a good place "LOOK, PERSON, I DID IT YOU CAN TOO, IT'S REALLY NOT THAT HARD"... but it's probably the same as saying to an agoraphobic "just go outside" or an anorexic "just eat something".

At the end of the day, if someone needs a bit more support and motivation from others than you did, that's their journey and it's ok. If they're legitimately just lazy whingers - delete and move on :)

I agree with this so much. You worded it much more eloquently than I would have.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    What I have to say may sound a little *****y, and it's not meant to. I applaud you for pushing through the pain and staying on plan to lose weight. But, what kept you from losing the weight before you gained 66 lbs? Losing weight was just as 'easy' then as it is now, if not easier. I know one thing. Everyone has their own journey. Getting fit is work. Eating right takes discipline. If a MFP friend is complaining about how hard it is to avoid brownies at work I sympathize. Especially since I know she will be there for me when I'm complaining about climbing stairs after leg day (ohmythighs). That's what MFP friends do.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    If losing weight is so 'easy', why did you get to the situation where you needed to lose 66lbs and counting?
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options

QFT.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    If losing weight is so 'easy', why did you get to the situation where you needed to lose 66lbs and counting?

This^^ :laugh:
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I love your tough love / no excuses message! People can find a way. And amazingly they usually do. Everyone has periods of time where they are a superstar losing their weight. But this is a never ending race, yet people go into it thinking it has an end. Even you - through sheer determination you have found a way to stay on a diet and exercise plan for a year. Your pictures show an amazing transformation. You should be proud! But will you be able to keep losing? Will you be able to continue to overcome your pain? When new obstacles arise that impact your ability to exercise will you be able to adapt? And if you actually accomplish your diet and exercise goal - will you be able to maintain the losses for 1,5,10,20, 40 years? Smokers have an easier job. They just have to stop smoking. Every day gets easier. We have to learn to take 3 puffs and then put it out. For the rest of our lives. We can do it, but it is not easy, at least not all the time. But when I falter I will go back and reread your post and hope the virtual kick in the pants will put me on the right road again!
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Losing weight is easy, gaining it is easier!!!
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What I have to say may sound a little *****y, and it's not meant to. I applaud you for pushing through the pain and staying on plan to lose weight. But, what kept you from losing the weight before you gained 66 lbs? Losing weight was just as 'easy' then as it is now, if not easier. I know one thing. Everyone has their own journey. Getting fit is work. Eating right takes discipline. If a MFP friend is complaining about how hard it is to avoid brownies at work I sympathize. Especially since I know she will be there for me when I'm complaining about climbing stairs after leg day (ohmythighs). That's what MFP friends do.

definitely this - I find a lot of people as soon as they master how to lose weight and control it they seem to look down on everyone else who has little knowledge and just starting out
  • mamadolce6499
    mamadolce6499 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    And why is this on the motivation and support board? Your doing neither but calling everyone who has a hard time a lazy POS. You may not have said those exact words but its certainly what you implied. People come on here to talk about their struggles and get good advice and encouraging words. Take your judgements to another board thank you.
This discussion has been closed.