Milk or No Milk?

Options

Replies

• jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    What else would you put in your cereal?!

I do unsweetend almond milk.

If it's unnatural for humans to drink the milk of other mammals how even more unnatural is it to drink the milk of nuts? Find me another animal that drinks milk from almonds.

You said milk of nuts. heh
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Milk is for poptarts.

BLASPHEMER!!!

Milk is for Oreos and chocolate chip cookies! :love:
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Milk... Yes. I'll drink milk. Not a whole lot but after being in a pool for two hour swimming laps and doing aquafit, I find that milk actually helps. That doesn't mean that I'm going to drink a load of it but it has its place in diet. This information is in a whole lot of places: "Milk delivers a mix of carbohydrates, calcium, sodium, and potassium, along with high-quality protein, which aids muscle recovery."
    Good enough. It works for me.
  • Hannahrose206
    Hannahrose206 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk; I don't believe that our bodies are made to process it completely. There are many studies proving this, I just use almond milk instead. To each his own though.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    How am I going to have a cookie without milk? How can I make Ice Cream without milk? How can I have a bowl of cereal without milk? What about the chesse? WON"T SOMEBODY THINK ABOUT THE CHEESE?!?

My wife and I are lactose intolerant. We buy the generic lactaid milk and we take a daily suppliment. I don't care who does/does not drink milk. I'm pretty sure Turtles don't have oatmeal but I like oatmeal and I will eat it so don't talk to me about what other animals do or don't eat. They are all just jealous because they can't figure out a playstaton anyways...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk; I don't believe that our bodies are made to process it completely. There are many studies proving this, I just use almond milk instead. To each his own though.

Can you share a few of them? Thanks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's an unnatural food, but not a food adult humans need by any means.

Can you please name just one specific food (not nutrient, but specific food) that an adult human needs to consume?
  • GoatBoat66
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase

The amount of lactase enzyme that get sproduced after infancy decreases in every adult human, some substantially (resulting in lactose intolerance).
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

The amount of lactase enzyme that get sproduced after infancy decreases in every adult human, some substantially (resulting in lactose intolerance).

People don't har enzymes to digest many things like corn peel and other things containing cellulose, yet people all around the world continue eating corn.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

It would appear that some adults can digest it just fine, regardless of whether or not the above sentence is true.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15777735

Individuals with adult-type hypolactasia lose their lactase expression before adulthood and consequently often become lactose intolerant with associated digestive problems (e.g. diarrhoea). In contrast, lactase persistent individuals have a lifelong lactase expression and are able to digest lactose as adults. Lactase persistence can be regarded as the mutant phenotype since other mammals down-regulate their lactase expression after weaning (the postweaning decline). This phenomenon does not occur in lactase persistent individuals.
  • beckyanne1975
    Options
    I stay away from milk. I've seen how they are fed and milked and that doesn't bother me. I just can't stand the taste. I will cook with it but cut it in half. Milk conception is just a choice that everyone should make on their own.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's an unnatural food, but not a food adult humans need by any means.

Can you please name just one specific food (not nutrient, but specific food) that an adult human needs to consume?

Cake:bigsmile:
  • GoatBoat66
    Options

It would appear that some adults can digest it just fine, regardless of whether or not the above sentence is true.

Individuals with adult-type hypolactasia lose their lactase expression before adulthood and consequently often become lactose intolerant with associated digestive problems (e.g. diarrhoea). In contrast, lactase persistent individuals have a lifelong lactase expression and are able to digest lactose as adults. Lactase persistence can be regarded as the mutant phenotype since other mammals down-regulate their lactase expression after weaning (the postweaning decline). This phenomenon does not occur in lactase persistent individuals.

Oh, I had thought lactase levels dropped in all individuals after infancy but I guess some people keep producing it at infancy-levels. Some people can digest milk fine, others can't.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Cake:bigsmile:
    :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned on the other thread in response to your logic - no I do not get it at all. So, I will repeat one of my responses" "I do not get the 'what it was intended for' argument at all. If it is good for your body, why not drink it? So, I do not see your reasoning"

Here is a study shows that milk is very beneficial, especially to people like me - women who strength train:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23075559

<snip>Overall, RE and milk/dairy consumption positively impact body composition in women by promoting losses in fat, gains or maintenance of lean mass and preservation of bone. Future studies in female athletes and under energy restriction with RE alone are warranted.<snip>

Also, here is a write up that explains how many people actually are lactose intolerant :

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/upload/NICHD_MM_Lactose_FS.pdf

"An estimated 30 million to 50 million American adults are lactose intolerant. The pattern of primary lactose intolerance appears to have a genetic component, and specific populations show high levels of intolerance, including approximately: 95 percent of Asians, 60 percent to 80 percent of African Americans and Ashkenazi Jews, 80 percent to 100 percent of American Indians, and 50 percent to 80 percent of Hispanics. Lactose intolerance is least common among people of northern European origin, who have a lactose intolerance prevalence of only about 2 percent."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it's weird to drink milk. We're the only animal who does this.
    I don't drink milk and neither does my 10yr old son, and he never has, only breast milk,
    which is the only milk we are meant to drink - ideally for at least 2 years.

No we are not the only animal to drink milk. Ever put a bowl of milk in front of a dog or cat?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

His is from Wikipedia. WIKIPEDIA. Not some fly by night medical organization. Jeez.
  • GoatBoat66
    Options

His is from Wikipedia. WIKIPEDIA. Not some fly by night medical organization. Jeez.

I wasn't giving a study, I was just pointing out why millions of people cannot digest milk. Also, Wikipedia is awesome.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I wasn't giving a study, I was just pointing out why millions of people cannot digest milk. Also, Wikipedia is awesome.

And when it isn't, you can go change it so it is.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

And when it isn't, you can go change it so it is.

Ha!