Milk or No Milk?

Options

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a baby, no animal based milk products.
    Why?

She believes in plant based diets after Forks over Knives.
    Ah. She's a critical thinker, then. ;-)

My diet is based on what I learned from Forks Over Knives. I have also done a lot of research beyond that. What I know is that I have lost over 100 pounds, I feel fantastic, all of my lab work is great, my blood pressure has dropped, and everyone says I glow. That's enough to convince me. And some of the people around me.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdar7gt5iw2su6teA0GZPO__bxqe4t8zZkWVRaxH2OKTiVIXhzoQ
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Why?

My diet is based on what I learned from Forks Over Knives. I have also done a lot of research beyond that. What I know is that I have lost over 100 pounds, I feel fantastic, all of my lab work is great, my blood pressure has dropped, and everyone says I glow. That's enough to convince me. And some of the people around me.
    Yeah, but can you do this? *does a cartwheel* Didn't think so. Milk FTW!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Please excuse me while I dunk my cheese in my milk.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why?

That's great that it works for you.

On that note, I have never been significantly overweight, my BP has never been anywhere close to high, my blood work has always been great and I'm nearly 36 years old and people still think I'm in college when they meet me.

And I have always eaten milk products.

So based on the two of us, you can't say your diet is superior. You very well may have had exactly the same results while still ingesting milk products. In fact, you probably would have.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why?

If we want to go down the anecdotal route - I did not have 100 pounds to lose - but I have lost what I wanted (all bar a final few pounds) - I had lab work done - all absolutely fantastic. I had a DEXA scan done a few months ago - bone density totally off the charts good. All this while drinking between 40 and 60 oz of milk a day. So, I am convinced that drinking milk is good.

ETA: maybe your blood pressure dropped because you lost weight rather than from your plant based diet.....just a thought!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The ability to drink milk in adulthood results from a single mutation that spread rapidly from Turkey throughout Europe. For that to happen, being able to drink milk must have been a huge advantage in survival and reproduction. That and wheat are probably the reason why Europe took over most of the world.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I may never be weaned. I still like my milk and cheese. My current project is to raise milk goats.

I did a few years ago. Made lots of cheese. It was fun and delicious. Goat milk straight from the goat tastes nothing like goat milk from the store.

I made fudge and white russians with goat milk too.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    The ability to drink milk in adulthood results from a single mutation that spread rapidly from Turkey throughout Europe. For that to happen, being able to drink milk must have been a huge advantage in survival and reproduction. That and wheat are probably the reason why Europe took over most of the world.

Not milk AND wheat. SANTA MARIA!! The CARNAGE!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Thanks for expressing these thoughts. I have been leaning along these lines for a while and started trying other "milks" like soy and almond. I decided to go with almond. I still buy cows milk for my kids, habit, but..................all the thoughts are still in my head about it.

I breast fed all my babies for the first year. I had a LOT of milk. I froze the exess and gave it to my friend who had a baby the same age. She went back to work and her milk supply ran low in spite of her efforts to pump. We found this a wonderful situation as she did not want to buy formula. Of course we were the best of friends and she knew my habits.

Cow's milk was designed to make a 100 pound calf grow to 1,000 pounds in a year. Should we ne doing that to our children? I can see your point.

Perhaps the habit of drinking cows milk came about when other forms of food were not readily available.. We have so much wonderful produce at out finger tips year around now. It might be time to reconsider the automatic go to for cows milk.
  • rml_16
    Options
    No, no, no. Wheat is a modern invention and a conspiracy. Haven't you been paying attention?
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Why?

That's great that it works for you.

On that note, I have never been significantly overweight, my BP has never been anywhere close to high, my blood work has always been great and I'm nearly 36 years old and people still think I'm in college when they meet me.

And I have always eaten milk products.

So based on the two of us, you can't say your diet is superior. You very well may have had exactly the same results while still ingesting milk products. In fact, you probably would have.

I'm about the same age as you and also always drank milk, but even when I was almost 340 lbs my bloodwork wasn't bad, which drove my doctor nuts, because he wanted to give me a reason to lose weight. I ended up still finding a reason though.
    Currently 205 lbs, blood pressure (last check) 110 / 68, pulse rate 62. So I am inclined to agree with you.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I drink skimmed cows' milk, ever since I had to reduce cholesterol (or die) - except in Green tea which is better without, or if I am singing in a concert in the next hour or so (milk encourages mucus which gets in the way somewhat).
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    No other animal on earth has thumbs or buckets with which to harvest the milk of other animals. Other animals will drink milk if it's provided to them. Cats and dogs have been known to drink milk at my house.

We are the only species that cooks meat before we eat it - maybe we should stop doing that. Lions don't cook meat. Rocky drank raw eggs, does that sound better to you than a couple of them over easy?

We are the only species that plant, raise and harvest the plants we eat - shall we go back to foraging for all of our food?

The list goes on.

I also got a big laugh out your putting forth this idea like you came up with it all by yourself. Someone brings this up several times a week on this forum and it's been out there for years and years. So congrats on coming up with a "new" idea all on your own.

ETA: On the idea of selling human breast milk at the stores. When they start doing that I would like a job at the dairy as a milker. I'll bring my own milking stool.

You can buy human breast milk on the internet.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk because I prefer not to. My reasons are ethical/personal rather than dietary. As many before have noted, I don't think it's any less natural to drink milk than so many other things humans do.

To each his own.
  • eve7166
    eve7166 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What else would you put in your cereal?!

I do unsweetend almond milk.

If it's unnatural for humans to drink the milk of other mammals how even more unnatural is it to drink the milk of nuts? Find me another animal that drinks milk from almonds.

Im loving reading this post! Been LOL at some comments. Do agree with the top. Something sooo processed as soy and almond milk is definitly NOT natural. If you dont want to drink milk dont but if you feel the NEED to substitute it with something thats not "natural" then maybe there is a reason.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Cow's milk was designed to make a 100 pound calf grow to 1,000 pounds in a year. Should we ne doing that to our children? I can see your point.

That calf is also drinking a couple of gallons of milk a day to put on that weight. So if your question is "should we be feeding our children over a gallon of milk every day for their first year of life?" the answer would be "no, that would probably not be recommended."
  • rml_16
    Options
    I'm about the same age as you and also always drank milk, but even when I was almost 340 lbs my bloodwork wasn't bad, which drove my doctor nuts, because he wanted to give me a reason to lose weight. I ended up still finding a reason though.
    Currently 205 lbs, blood pressure (last check) 110 / 68, pulse rate 62. So I am inclined to agree with you.

Quality of life can certainly be a huge incentive!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    No other animal on earth has thumbs or buckets with which to harvest the milk of other animals. Other animals will drink milk if it's provided to them. Cats and dogs have been known to drink milk at my house.

We are the only species that cooks meat before we eat it - maybe we should stop doing that. Lions don't cook meat. Rocky drank raw eggs, does that sound better to you than a couple of them over easy?

We are the only species that plant, raise and harvest the plants we eat - shall we go back to foraging for all of our food?

The list goes on.

I also got a big laugh out your putting forth this idea like you came up with it all by yourself. Someone brings this up several times a week on this forum and it's been out there for years and years. So congrats on coming up with a "new" idea all on your own.

ETA: On the idea of selling human breast milk at the stores. When they start doing that I would like a job at the dairy as a milker. I'll bring my own milking stool.

You can buy human breast milk on the internet.

Not near as fun as harvesting it oneself.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    I don't drink milk (except the occasional chocolate milk and very occasional latte). 1. It contains puss. Can't avoid this. ...

Some people like puss.