annoyed at the/my/this "Journey"

Options
123457»

Replies

• dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I can tolerate journey better than diet.........it should just be a way of life....I don't plan on dieting or being on a journey for the rest of my life I plan on living a healthy life to be able to enjoy every moment of it :happy:
  • lmunro5394
    lmunro5394 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use the word "journey" because it HAS been a journey... It's taken me 5 years of ups and downs to lose 102lbs. I will continue to "journey" for the rest of my life, even when I hit my goal weight. Journey to me simply means following a path. I will have to stay on this path to weight loss, health, higher level of fitness for the rest of my life. It's not a diet. Diet implies watching what you eat for a period of time, losing weight and then it's done.
    I will always battle my weight, I will always need to be diligent about what I eat. It's not a temporary thing...
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am being too semantic about this...but the use of the phrase the/my/this "Journey" annoys the ever loving crap out of me.

To me journey sounds temporary. It is a cutesy way of saying "I am going to do this thing until some point in time when it is over and I have to go back to real life" In other words the last 20 years I spent going on and off "journeys" to improve my health and life. Call it what is is....change. You change for the good or bad...hopefully we are doing it for the good.

/end rant for the day.

Awwwwww...here :flowerforyou: or maybe you'd prefer this instead: :drinker:

I LOVE using the term "journey" for my new lifestyle change...I use it interchangeably with "adventure". When I think of and use the term "journey and/or adventure...I think of something tough, rugged "trip" (as in you're tripping type of trip to me), something difficult and long (as in lifetime long) that most may not understand or something I must experience alone really. Also, something that has highs and lows--not "static"--with highs and lows and everything in-between experience. I see as as a long-haul type of thing and using the term "journey" helps me to feel courageous and brave. My definition of "journey is the same (or close to) the dictionary's defintion(s):

jour·ney
       [jur-nee] Show IPA noun, plural jour·neys, verb, jour·neyed, jour·ney·ing.
    noun
    a traveling from one place to another, usually taking a rather long time; trip: a six-day journey across the desert.
    a distance, course, or area traveled or suitable for traveling: a desert journey.
    a period of travel: a week's journey.
    passage or progress from one stage to another: the journey to success.

Sorry it bugs you though...I hope you'll feel better soon:wink:
    :drinker:
    I especially like number 1 and number 4. I can see where OP hears that it is temporary, but I think for must of us on here, the reason we are here is to make it permanent.

And it is a journey at this point- a journey to a specific goal. After that goal is another journey, which is much longer- maintaining it.

All in all, does it really matter?
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I don't refer to what I consume as a diet, but rather my menu because it's what I eat and the choices are from a menu of my choosing. There are certain foods that only appear as weekly or monthly "specials" on my menu...

This is a journey for some of us, right now in your term of thought... some of us are newer and haven't reached our destination of living the changes we are currently undergoing. to me "Change" is the step of maintaining. the in between, the losing, is the journey. Or at least that is my warped view on it :laugh: :drinker:
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    U mad bro? Ya u mad.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    The word journey usually has a positive connotation..
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I say call it what you like. to me to "go on a diet" means the exact same thing as journey does to you. I am not on a diet I have changed my lifestyle. This is the way I will eat for the rest of my life. It is so different for everyone. Whatever you call it if it works for your that is AWESOME! Best wishes.

I agree with this so much. I never thought about it utill I heard other people saying it...then I started using the phrase a few times. Then I thought ...WRONG ...this is a life style change, a forever life style change for me. not a journey. That being said, what ever works for you, go for it.