Work out EVERY day till December Challenge!

Options

Replies

• Filletsteak
    Filletsteak Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Am in! Had to give up 30 day shred (pain in shoulder); I do 1 hour walking most days (Leslie Sansone or outside). Busy at weekends but will try to do something EVERY day.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Completed a 25min run yesterday and today, building up for my 10km days over the weekend!
  • IronDame
    IronDame Posts: 275
    Options
    Every single day? Your body needs rest and time to recover at some point.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options

30 min light walk... i consider that a rest and time to recover....?
  • krystalcreech
    Options
    im in!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    No chance.

Rest days are needed.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Exactly. "rest days" are for serious training on the same muscle group every day ( like bikers, marathon runners and serious weight lifters). Muscle recovery can happen as long as you are not training the same muscle group each day. Cardio is often considered a day off unless it's something you do for long periods the other 6 days a week!

• ejensen86
    Options
    I'm in but I'm currently sick with the flu - I'm hoping to be better by Sunday so I'll start then!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options

So what would you be doing differently? If a 30 minute light walk counts as working out, then I guess I've worked out every single day of my life since I was 15-months-old.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

No it doesn't. For millions of years humans have been active every single day. Our bodies do not require sedentary days to be healthy.
  • gingerjen7
    Options

No it doesn't. For millions of years humans have been active every single day. Our bodies do not require sedentary days to be healthy.
    Since when does "rest day" mean sedentary? My rest day is Sunday, I am hardly sedentary while I'm cooking, cleaning the bathrooms, doing laundry, scrubbing and vacuuming the floors, and doing the dishes. I guess for people who log cooking and cleaning as cardio there's no such thing as a rest day, but to me "rest day" means I don't do a workout.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm a little late, but I'm in. Wednesday I only did two 15 min low impact aerobic sessions on my breaks at work. Yesterday I had the day off so I did the pushups, bench dips, and 2 Turbo Fire DVDs (HIIT in the morning and Cardio in the evening).

Friday, 11/9 workout: 30 min aerobics, 15 min calisthenics (600 sqats - 100 per set - no weight).
  • bcattoes
    Options

Since when does "rest day" mean sedentary? My rest day is Sunday, I am hardly sedentary while I'm cooking, cleaning the bathrooms, doing laundry, scrubbing and vacuuming the floors, and doing the dishes. I guess for people who log cooking and cleaning as cardio there's no such thing as a rest day, but to me "rest day" means I don't do a workout.

I'm not going argue semanics of "rest". If you want to call scrubbing, vacuuming, etc. "rest" I don't care.

My point -- Rest days are not required. There is no danger in doing a workout every day unless you overtrain. Which you can do even if you take 2 rest days.
  • thistimevictory
    Options
    9-Nov
    20 min cardio kickboxing, 15 min tabata lower body workout, 10 min upper body and abs, 21 Sun salutations
  • gingerjen7
    Options

I'm not going argue semanics of "rest". If you want to call scrubbing, vacuuming, etc. "rest" I don't care.
    Well I'm sure not going to call it a workout; it's a normal part of life that almost everyone does. If you didn't want to argue "semanics" then maybe you shouldn't have equated resting with being sedentary. If sedentary is what you think of as a rest day, I see no reason to pledge to "work out" every day since that's what you've all been doing this entire time, unless you've previously spent entire days just sitting.

Regardless, people who make an effort to exercise above and beyond what is normal activity in every day life benefit from a rest day both mentally and physically.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Well I'm sure not going to call it a workout; it's a normal part of life that almost everyone does. If you didn't want to argue "semanics" then maybe you shouldn't have equated resting with being sedentary. If sedentary is what you think of as a rest day, I see no reason to pledge to "work out" every day since that's what you've all been doing this entire time, unless you've previously spent entire days just sitting.

I don't know who p*ssed in your cereal but exactly how do you know what I've been doing every day??

rest1    /rɛst/ Show Spelled[rest] Show IPA
    noun
    1. the refreshing quiet or repose of sleep: a good night's rest.
    2. refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
    3. relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
    4. a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest.
    5. mental or spiritual calm; tranquillity.
    (www.dictionary.com)

Make up your own meaning if you want, but scrubbing, cleaning, etc. does not fit the description for rest.
  • gingerjen7
    Options

I don't know who p*ssed in your cereal but exactly how do you know what I've been doing every day??

noun
    2. refreshing ease or inactivity after exertion or labor: to allow an hour for rest.
    3. relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs.
    4. a period or interval of inactivity, repose, solitude, or tranquillity: to go away for a rest.
    (www.dictionary.com)

Make up your own meaning if you want, but scrubbing, cleaning, etc. does not fit the description for rest.
    "3. relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs." I don't know what kind of "exercise" you do, but mine definitely counts as something that "wearies" (as in "causes to become tired"), so taking a break from real exercise is rest. Not exercising also qualifies as a "refreshing ease after exertion." So yeah, scrubbing and cleaning (being NOT exercise) would absolutely fit the description of rest from exercise.
  • bcattoes
    Options

noun
    (www.dictionary.com)

"3. relief or freedom, especially from anything that wearies, troubles, or disturbs." I don't know what kind of "exercise" you do, but mine definitely counts as something that "wearies" (as in "causes to become tired"), so taking a break from real exercise is rest. Not exercising also qualifies as a "refreshing ease after exertion." So yeah, scrubbing and cleaning (being NOT exercise) would absolutely fit the description of rest from exercise.

I never said we didn't need rest. I said not everyone needs an entire day of rest. Many people workout every day, some more than once a day. I am one of those people. Today I did a lot of squats. I won't do strength training for my legs tomorrow. Yesterday I did dips and pushups, so today no strength training for my arms today. But I did workout today and I will workout tomorrow. And every day till December.
  • gingerjen7
    Options
    I never said we didn't need rest.
    Yes, you did.

IronDame said "Your body needs rest and time to recover at some point." And you're exact words were "No it doesn't."
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I never said we didn't need rest.
    Yes, you did.

IronDame said "Your body needs rest and time to recover at some point." And you're exact words were "No it doesn't."

The post said "Every single day? Your body needs rest and time to recover at some point.". Seemed logical to infer that meant an entire day without a workout was needed. But, if in fact, I misunderstood the post, then I apologize for my error in inference.

Rest is needed for all. Rest days are not.