Wrong Names??

Options

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't beleive the stories I could tell you about my name and how many people get tripped up buy it.

Linli.

90% of the time people will start off confident with "Lin..." and they just kind of leave it hanging, train off etc.

Trying to spell it for people is worse.

ME: It's "L", "I", "N"
    THEM: (writing the letters down as I say them)
    ME: "L" "I"
    THEM: I already got that, what comes after the N.
    THEM: Is that your last name? Are you Chinese?

ME: :noway:
  • painthoss
    painthoss Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I called my son Camden and regret it already. Poor kid will be confused with Cameron for the rest of his life.

Or Trenton.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    When I answer the phone I always say "this is Bernadette" to which most people reply "Hi Brenda" I don't get it!

Also, I go by Berni and when my husband and I are together and I introcude us as Brock and Berni, people always think I'm Brock and he's is Berni...lol
  • painthoss
    Options
    My name is Veronica but my professors call me Vicky or Victoria all the time. How the heck do you get Vicky or Victoria from Veronica? I can see V or Ronnie but the others? These are professors for crying out loud. :noway:

Well, my name is Valerie and I get called Veronica, Vicky, or Victoria.

Also, sometimes, oddly enough, Rhoda. Let's see who get's that.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't beleive the stories I could tell you about my name and how many people get tripped up buy it.

Linli.

90% of the time people will start off confident with "Lin..." and they just kind of leave it hanging, train off etc.

Trying to spell it for people is worse.

ME: It's "L", "I", "N"
    THEM: (writing the letters down as I say them)
    THEM: I already got that, what comes after the N.
    THEM: Is that your last name? Are you Chinese?

ME: :noway:

LOL...you poor thing!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My name is Veronica but my professors call me Vicky or Victoria all the time. How the heck do you get Vicky or Victoria from Veronica? I can see V or Ronnie but the others? These are professors for crying out loud. :noway:

Yay Valerie Harper!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    My name is Brianna, and I get called Brittany ALL the time. I dont really get it, those arent even similar names.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time! My name is LuAnn but I get called Joanne, Leanne, Maryanne, Lilian, Mary Lou. I'm thinking I should just start telling people my name Jen - short, simple, well-known, and easy to pronounce (plus I know lots of Jen's and they are all great people!)

ETA: After reading through the posts, I guess that the name Jen can still be butchered! I guess no name is safe!
  • painthoss
    Options

Yay Valerie Harper!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: well, that didn't take long! :happy: :happy:
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have had this all my life! My name is Tisha (pronounced Tee-sha), and without fail, people get it wrong for AT LEAST the first time they hear / read it, if not many times after that... It’s not short for anything, I swear, it’s my full name.

Miss-spellings: Tesher, Teeshar, Teesha, Ticia, Tecia,

Wrong Name: Tish, Teesh, Trisha (the most common by far, even from people replying to my emails - with my name quite clearly at the bottom) Tina, Trina, Lisa, Patricia, Latisha, Mortisha/Morticia (Cracked me up!), Keisha.

And my upstairs neighbour, for some reason, calls me Ann... Explain that one!?!

** Edited to add, I just took a phone call...

ME: Hi, Tisha speaking, can I help?
    HIM: Hi Katie...

:noway:
  • PennyRLane
    PennyRLane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My name is Kelsey and people ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS CALL ME CHELSEA!
    And the odd thing about it is that my mom almost named me Chelsea.. But, it always bugs me and i just smile and correct them.

this happens to me ALL THE TIME and it really pisses me off! call me Emily or Constance or something way off. Chelsea was like you could have been listening to me but you just didn't care enough to really catch my real name... buggers!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    my name is Terri, so i get Carrie all the time. I work for a doctor and lots of people call me Kelly for some reason. My boss is from Nigerea and calles every one named carrie ...carrie-ah for some reason lol
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    My name is Caroline (like the Neil Diamond song, "Sweet Caroline") more often then not, people call me Carolyn, which drives me crazy. Sometimes I correct them,others I don't, depends on my mood.

I've also had people say "oh, ok I'll just call you Carol"...Oh no you won't, my name is Caroline, if I wanted to be called Carol, I would have introduced myself that way.
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have a longer name, but my short name is Shemi, I get shami, shemmie , and sherri...all the time . My name pronounced is "(shem-e). My real name, is Shemsija pronounced Shem-c-ya. I named my daughter a unique but not odd name like mine, Aviana- AVI-ANA. I hope she wont have any problems in the future!!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    My name is Rochelle (french spelling) I get Rachel an Michelle frequently by people who don't pay attention. Then there are the people who care too much and say "Is is pronounced RA-shell or RO-shell?". I typically say RA-shell, but RO-shell is fine too.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My last name is Boucher. Boo-shay not Boo-Shear or Bow-ch-er or any other way you can think of. You know, Bobby Boucher from the movie Water Boy? yeah.. Just like that! :) .. My first name gets it even worst. The joys of having a french name.
  • k1229
    k1229 Posts: 135
    Options
    my name is Terri, so i get Carrie all the time. I work for a doctor and lots of people call me Kelly for some reason. My boss is from Nigerea and calles every one named carrie ...carrie-ah for some reason lol

So Funny, im Keri and i get Terri and Kelly all the time, occasionally Carrie too!!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My BFF's son's name is Beckett.

Last year at Christmas my son was calling him "Bacon"...but you have to forgive a 3 year old when they don't pronounce a name right.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My name is Vicky but lots of people hear Becky when I say my name ... didn't think I had a speech impediment
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Jessica is the name... people call me JENNIFER! How do you hear Jennifer... seriously?