Well, it is officially time for a new gym

Options

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    My understanding about this whole question is that some gyms are more geared toward heavy lifters than others, and some are totally anti because it annoys or scares the bulk of their clients. I've belonged to a "lifting-friendly" gym, where it felt like wall-to-wall bald guys with no necks, and now am at a more middle-of-the-road gym that has specific places where it's cool for you to drop your stuff (as long as you're doing it on purpose). Way back in the day, I belonged to an uber-fancy gym were it was absolutely NOT allowed to do something as (gasp!) shocking as what you're doing. That place grated on me.

Anyway, I'd say you're really better off having a complete understanding of any given gym's policy before you join if you want to be dropping big weights. The people who run the gym you just left should have asked you what your goals were before you ever joined so this wouldn't have happened. Missing that step was totally unprofessional and I think you're totally justified in being pissed.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is the gym building made of straw or something? i think that's a better question.

and i wonder what they'd say about someone like me when i was at my heaviest doing sprints and jumping ope in the building.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Why is it every thread (OK ... I'm exaggerating ... A LOT of threads) around here lately has to turn into a pissing contest? Everyone trying to prove they know more than everyone else or that they can lift more than anyone else or blah blah blah. At first it was kind of humorous to read, but now it's just plain old and annoying.

There's threads where people try to prove who can lift more? Around here? Don't keep it to yourself man, where dey at??? Let's get in there!

Yeah, I haven't seen many of those on MFP...which is surprising because nearly every other fitness site has them...

...which tells me something...I'm just not exactly sure what it is...

On here people rant about the girl that wears too much makeup at the gym or if someone used a treadmill to close to theirs instead of bragging about tons lifted. Pretty much tells the tale of this site.

Or they rant about this *cough*

images53.jpg

reported to mods for attempted hijacking. so nyah nyah :tongue:
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    so what is dead lifting? How does it work/benefit/challenge? ( I am asking because I honestly have no clue- maybe more need to understand what it is and the benefits)

bend over, pick up extremely heavy ****. stand up.
    Pretty much the most useful thing you'll ever do.
  • jeokay20
    Options
    i wouldnt cancel your membership. dont let some club director take your deadlift shine.
  • jesse1379
    jesse1379 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Usually one can get a sense just by walking through a gym once if it is a more "health club" kind organization or an iron horse kind of heavy lifting gym where you can let it all hang out.

Either that or you can just come right out and ask before you slap down the money for a membership. One telling sign that your in a lunk friendly gym is if the cardio equipment to iron ratio is higher ,or if they are situated next to eachother. If the weights are situated right next to a row of ellypticals, treadmills, bicycles, ... chances are its not a good place to lunk out lol.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Tell him to try taking a crack at it...put up or shut up! 2nd floor is a DUMB idea!! If you really do go elsewhere, I hope you can find somewhere set up better for people who actually lift properly.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    so what is dead lifting? How does it work/benefit/challenge? ( I am asking because I honestly have no clue- maybe more need to understand what it is and the benefits)

Ok- thx. And I doubt that its even remotely the best thing I'll ever do- because I won't be doing that. Absolutely no explanation as to the health benefits vs other formats of weight training that are highly effective.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Ok- thx. And I doubt that its even remotely the best thing I'll ever do- because I won't be doing that. Absolutely no explanation as to the health benefits vs other formats of weight training that are highly effective.

deadlifts work your entire body in 1 go. thighs, hamstrings, but, core, shoulders, etc

also every time you do 5 reps a kitten is saved from drowning.

you dont want the kittens to drown do you?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAHdR9m5Ah_Pk4wYixvGr6Ox0NVpSc7a8AWZVZ4hELaZffVGh1JA
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    If I owned a gym with two floors, I wouldn't have so much as a dumbbell upstairs!

Some moves, you want to LIFT and then LOWER. Deadlift is most certainly NOT an exercise you want to take your time lowering, especially when you are at exhaustion. I'm all for putting weights down quietly when reasonable but I would never balk at someone causing a ruckus after deadlifts!
  • wellbert
    Options

if you want an extensive dissertation, many exist and are immediately accessible via your favorite search engine. I suggest also checking out EXRX if you don't even want to go that far.

Deadlifts are actually the second best weight training exercise. Full barbell squats are the first. Some may argue the other way. Deadlifts first squats second. I say: it doesn't matter because it isn't a choice. Every decent strength training program includes BOTH of these lifts.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You join the gym, you sign a contract stating that you will follow the rules. Why should you be the exception?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

There's this new thing called Google, you may have heard of it?
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The finer point of dead lifting: lift with your legs, not with your back. If you lift something heavy from low to the ground, you are using a good portion of the muscles developed by a dead lift. It doesn't matter if you're lifting weights, a fridge, or a child, you're using these core muscle groups. Accordingly, a basic benefit to dead lift training is the increased ability to lift dead weights.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I may get flamed for this, but I agree with the Club Director on this one.

If you can't control the weights, you shouldn't be lifting so heavy.

totally agree.

I agree as well. That is distracting and annoying as hell.

I do them in the leg area. Nobody's over there anyway.

Lol

I see what you did there.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The finer point of dead lifting: lift with your legs, not with your back. If you lift something heavy from low to the ground, you are using a good portion of the muscles developed by a dead lift. It doesn't matter if you're lifting weights, a fridge, or a child, you're using these core muscle groups. Accordingly, a basic benefit to dead lift training is the increased ability to lift dead weights.

What?

Doing a deadlift you are supposed to use your lower back primarily (mainly erector spinae but lats and other back muscles). If you do it with your legs you are doing some weird squat.
    "
  • wellbert
    Options

What?

Doing a deadlift you are supposed to use your lower back primarily (mainly erector spinae but lats and other back muscles). If you do it with your legs you are doing some weird squat.
    "

The lower back is used isometrically to stabilize a traditional deadlift. The bar is moved by the legs and hips for most of it.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    why are you even lifting a clunky barbell? couldn't you just use resistance bands, or maybe just put on a weighted vest and bend over and back up again? that would be far less noisy. i would go to the club director and propose that. maybe bring him some donuts as a gesture of good will and peace.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What?

"

The lower back is used isometrically to stabilize a traditional deadlift. The bar is moved by the legs and hips for most of it.

Maybe my interpretation of the statement was incorrect - (I have seen someone argue once on here that you use your biceps mainly!). I read this to be that you are basically squatting the bar (kind of). I agree that the lower back is used isometrically - but it does incorporate your back muscles significantly.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The gym I used was on the second floor too but the 1... 2... 3... *KRAAAANG* that we could hear in the cafe below was the way to tell if it was busy up there or not. Cant say the noise ever annoyed me even though I was a cardio bunny. That said, I found it pretty funny when the more 'delicate' creatures jumped out of their fur.
    Find a proper gym not a peacock farm :wink: