Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options
Hello Gym Bunnies!

Hope you're all dandy. :0)

I'm afraid I'm the barer of bad news... well, simply relaying some new revelation: yup... as the title of the post says... don't waste your life on cardio! According to an article in Muscle and Fitness October Issue (Page 114) mixing it up prior or post weight training will detract from the intensity and performance. So get off that treadmill and go home!

So? What do you do? When do you integrate cardio in your routine, pre-workout, post-workout or on separate times or dedicated to only cardio days? How often do you cardio your fat off?

Thank you! :0))

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i cardio for my heart health and because i want to start running 10k races so i have no idea how it' counterproductive to not run when i want to run.

BUT the main focus of my eight loss workout is weight lifting, mainly strong lifts where i lift very heavy weights. i only workout 60 minutes at a time so there's no need to do cardio on lifting days then the lifting can take me 45+ minutes not counting my warmups, stretching and foam rolling.

i lift 3 days a week and do cardio 2-3 days a week
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i cardio for my heart health and because i want to start running 10k races so i have no idea how it' counterproductive to not run when i want to run.

I agree--my cardio is, as is implied in the name, is to improve my cardiovascular health. I've lost 52 pounds so far, going from a tight size 22 to a very comfortable size 16. My body fat percentage has decreased dramatically thus far, and I'm happy with the changes in my body.

I am to the point where I really enjoy my workouts and feel a real change in my endurance. My resting heart rate has improved dramatically. I have begun adding strength training and am working with a trainer. I'll keep doing what feels good and what has improved my health.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    *smashing head into wall*
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I did cardio and only cardio when I started to lose weight to give me some baseline for fitness but mainly to burn some calories. Now I only do it on days I don't lift. I've already gotten kind of thin, so now I want to focus on putting on muscle.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    sorry to burst your bubble... but you are completely wrong.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah no............

I like the treadmill. It's nice when I don't want to run in yucky weather outdoors. Plus it's the whole point of the running sport. You don't have to weight lift to be healthy.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I lift weights... but I need my treadmill too. I need my cardio bunny days. It is what gets all my passive aggression at. You wouldn't like me without my cardio. :)
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for your mental state, not just physical.
    Broad generalized statements are hard to take seriously, especially when your source is a magazine article.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I like running so I don't think its a "waste of time". I've lost 20lbs before mfp from running.
  • rubix08
    rubix08 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 80 lbs or so with just cardio, starting with walking then moving up to jogging. Now I try to incorporate weight training into my workouts but I try to split each day: strength three days a week, cardio 2 days, maybe 3 and I alternate and also have rest days during the week.

Jogging is something that I have found to love, or even just walking around the block. It's a great time to just listen to music or the "sounds of nature" (as cheesy as that sounds) and it just gives me time to think, plus if my calories are a bit over for the day throwing on my running shoes and heading out for 30 mins is just a relaxing way to get back on track. Too each his own I guess, weightlifting is a great way to tone your body but I wouldn't swear off running so long as my joints hold up.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :huh: :noway: :laugh:

I don't think so! (Not true for me anyway.) LOL

I don't run because I'm trying to meet someone else's definition of fitness. I do cardio for the cardiovascular benefits (my blood pressure is lower and my resting heart rate is awesome) and for the stress relieving endorphins it provides. I do both cardio and weights, and while weights are great for strength and toning, there's nothing like a runner's high to set my mood straight and totally energize me. (Weights boost mood too, but nothing like running does for me.) I don't have to choose, but if I DID have to pick one or the other, I'd pick cardio all the way. Whatever benefits I get from running far outweigh the negative effects it has on my weight training.

Everyone is different, and not everyone is going to have the same fitness goals or the same ways of meeting them.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    tumblr_maw2ywfyL71qbwr9w.gif
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    *sigh*
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hello Gym Bunnies!

Hope you're all dandy. :0)

I'm afraid I'm the barer of bad news... well, simply relaying some new revelation: yup... as the title of the post says... don't waste your life on cardio! According to an article in Muscle and Fitness October Issue (Page 114) mixing it up prior or post weight training will detract from the intensity and performance. So get off that treadmill and go home!

So? What do you do? When do you integrate cardio in your routine, pre-workout, post-workout or on separate times or dedicated to only cardio days? How often do you cardio your fat off?

Thank you! :0))

How can cardio after lifting detract from your lifting performance?

Maybe people's focus is on cardiovascular health or running endurance and not on lifting.

I basically do not do cardio but telling people to get off the treadmill is silly imo.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    tumblr_maw2ywfyL71qbwr9w.gif

:laugh:
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Where is Dr. Oz when you need him to weigh in on a topic!?!?! :laugh:
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I really hate any article that singles out certain exercises as useless or a waste of time.

Do what you're motivated to do, and stop listening to the people who say that this or that is a waste of time. NO EXERCISE IS A WASTE OF TIME IF YOU'RE DOING IT.

End of f***ing story.
  • LilMissImperfect
    Options
    I wanted to start lifting weights. But at 350 LBs im curious if its safe? I have a bad back too so that doesnt help.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I guess I won't run my Half Marathon Sunday....it's counter productive to everything I've ever done.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Jack-Donaghy-Facepalm.gif

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif