Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    firstpost.jpg
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why most in the fitness industry call that magazine "Muscle and Fiction". That magazine (and those like it) are nothing more than a glorified catalog for supplements.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.

Take a read here. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

Thats carb cycling tbh and not related really to this thread.
    It almost smells like troll around here....:grumble:

Nope, she's actually my OH.

OH?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Hmm, a weight lifting magazine says don't do cardio, just do weight lifting. Yeah, seems totally unbiased...

tigerpalm.jpg

When you find a article in Runner's Weekly telling you how weight lifting can hamper your endurance training, what will yu do then? Hide on the couch with a bag of Cheetos? All exercises have their place.

1. I love the tiger.

2. This was exactly my first thought... "Look at the source..." My running magazines don't tell me to lift & if they do, it's usually nothing heavy. I've always lifted but never went for mass. I've been a dancer & a runner. Neither of those require heavy weight lifting but do require cardio. I just lift some weight because I like to do so. It all comes down to personal choice & goals, not everyone wants to lift heavy.
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    There's actually a great book that I read that addresses the issue brought up in the first post:

11115311.jpg

And the answer is: it depends! (which is the conclusion most of you have already come to, of course. :) )

Science is pretty awesome.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    OH?

Other half. Misses. Girlfriend.

You get the jist! :wink:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    DUBBLE
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0130nIm2y1r7j50s.gif
  • TR0berts
    Options

No, it doesn't relate to the OP - it was simply meant to answer the question that the guy I was quoting asked.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't relate to the OP - it was simply meant to answer the question that the guy I was quoting asked.

I'll shut up then LOL
  • TR0berts
    Options
    All good! :smile:
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options

mixing it up prior or post weight training will detract from the intensity and performance.

I didnt read previous answers.....But this is the only thing that I kinda agree with..
    I perform better when I do cardio and weight training in separate days. But cardio is good for you..and believe me I hate cardio.
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I never do cardio, ever. My "cardio" is part of my weight lifting/strength training workouts, keeping my heart rate up and keeping sessions between 40 and 60 minutes. Doing this three times a week at least, with proper sleep and nutrition, I find no reason to waste my time and energy doing cardio things like treadmill walking. I do, however, walk in real life to and from places, so that may be considered cardio.
    Different people with different body types may benefit from cardio, but I don't.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    The title of this topic made me swear. And quite loudly.

The content... Well, I'm still swearing about the title....
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the publication and then consider the target audience. It's not Triathlete or RunnersWorld magazines. OP if you want really good info on muscle building and lifting protocols check our sites like TNation.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    LOL ooooooooooooooooooh I see. Never seen "OH" used before =p

Um yeah...I misread the original post..

My rule of thumb is do mega cardio on non-lift days. Depending on how I'm feeling, I may do a quick 5-10 minute warmup walking slowly on the treadmill but other than that, I don't do both on the same day.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    LOL @ lazy curvy whales writing that stuff , to make themselves feel better.

Edit:
    and i dont do cardio too, running like cardiobunny for hours per day. I do some quick run few times as fast as I can. And i do weightlifting 3 times per week. Excercises heart just as good.
  • grinner30
    grinner30 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0130nIm2y1r7j50s.gif

this rules....
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Hello Gym Bunnies!

Hope you're all dandy. :0)

I'm afraid I'm the barer of bad news... well, simply relaying some new revelation: yup... as the title of the post says... don't waste your life on cardio! According to an article in Muscle and Fitness October Issue (Page 114) mixing it up prior or post weight training will detract from the intensity and performance. So get off that treadmill and go home!

So? What do you do? When do you integrate cardio in your routine, pre-workout, post-workout or on separate times or dedicated to only cardio days? How often do you cardio your fat off?

Thank you! :0))

i have lost near 35 lbs on cardio only... and wont be changing anything. an hour a day at least, everyday. Mostly i dance, sometimes i take walks. No matter what though i do something. And it is working FABULOUSLY. <3
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I do cardio exclusively. And I look and feel fine.

Not that I wouldn't benefit from weight training in addition (and I will eventually), but I'm proof to myself that cardio is a good thing.