Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I only got through page 2 of 6 reading through the comments - so sorry if someone already pointed this out.

The point of the article, as I understand from OP, is not that cardio is bad for you. I took it to mean that if you're doing a cardio session before a weight lifting session, you may fatigue yourself and not get the most out of your lifting session. And, if you do a cardio session after weight lifting, again your muscles might be fatigued. I assumed by cardio they meant hard core cardio, not a cool down on the treadmill to stretch your muscles.

If I read it correctly, then I agree. It doesn't say cardio doesn't have a place at all in your workout regime - only that you shouldn't do it before you're about to hit the weights hard, or after you've already hit the weights.
    This is exactly right.

^^^ I also agree with this.

Then I guess I don't understand why so many posters are all fired up about being denied their cardio .... they're arguing a point that was never made in the first place.

Oh I like you, you say what I'm thinking! lol. Do not know what all the fuss is about. You like cardio, do it. No ones telling you not too, or that it's bad for you,. this article was being written from a weightlifters view about what is good for mass building as I understand it. Not from a marathon runners POV.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Then I guess I don't understand why so many posters are all fired up about being denied their cardio .... they're arguing a point that was never made in the first place.

It's because the reading comprehension on this site is dreadful.

Also this article wasn't published online, only in the magazine. So nobody here who is commenting with such disgust, vigour and sarcasm has actually read it (although I admit it has been grossly mis-interpreted in the OP)

But hey, what's the point in researching anything when you can just post LOLOL UR STUPID!!! and a funny picture.?!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    *smashing head into wall*

^^^ this :sad:
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

It's because the reading comprehension on this site is dreadful.

Also this article wasn't published online, only in the magazine. So nobody here who is commenting which such disgust, vigour and sarcasm has actually read it. (although I admit it has been grossly mis-interpreted in the OP)

But hey, what's the point in researching anything when you can just post LOLOL UR STUPID!!! and a funny picture.?!

You are right, we "the people" tend to respond before fully comprehending. I reacted first to the title. Then to a few points in the subject. I knew the content of the article and the point it was trying to make was misrepresented by the OP but I still reacted internally. (I didn't post until I'd calmed myself down haha).

I would say that people are reacting to the inflammatory headline and absurd preface by the OP. The article may be fine, but the title and prelude are the problem.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say congrats to all people who fully failed at reading comprehension and went off on some 'cardio is awesome blah blah blah' rant. I believe the question the OP raised was not 'is weight lifting better then cardio' but 'is it counterproductive to follow a weight lifting session with a cardio session on the same day or should they be separate'.

To all you who got it? /Golfclap.
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It doesn't say cardio doesn't have a place at all in your workout regime

Re-read the title.

Yes, the title was obviously meant to shock and get people to open up the thread - but then you read the rest of the post.
    (well, apparently some didn't)
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do not separate my cardio and weight lifting sessions. I was advised to do cardio every day because I am REALLY FAT. It is possible that people would be exausted after doing an extended cardio session before lifting or that they wouldn't push themselves as much if they knew they still had time on the treadmill to look forward to. That is not me. I always give it my all. I also switch up my types of cardio (for ex. I might so a lower intensity cardio session on leg days or choose cycling/ spinning on arm days).

Of course, I do have different goals than those that lift "heavy".
  • Yo_Lazarov
    Yo_Lazarov Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hello folks!

Thank you all for your reply!

It is indeed a controversial topic. Do we separate cardio all together from weights or do we complete all in one session? New developments in the sports science is bound to provide an answer sooner rather than later.

For example, my boyfriend Matt is currently on the bulking stage and performs zero cardio. The psychology is to not waste energy required for growth. The more you loose, the more you need to replenish.

What does the Muscle and Fitness Magazine states regarding the evidence that cardio is counterproductive prior or after lifting?

Quoting:

''Well, usually all we ever hear about, how the body responds to and recovers from training, is hormones - how much testosterone or GH (growth hormone) or cortisol or insulin is produced after a workout. This makes sense because they are known 'anabolic' hormones and, in the case of cortisol, 'catabolic' hormones. However, brief changes in these hormones (as occurs with exercise) don't actually tell us if the body is building or breaking down muscle. Better indicators of muscle growth or atrophy are various enzimes and proteins found in the bloodstream after exercise. These substances actually 'turn on' the muscle-building process (protein synthesis) in the cell and are the very pathways that are actually activated by testosterone and other hormones. "

For my training personally, makes sense to have a break between weight and cardio or at least few hours or dedicate days specific for cardio only.

What's your take?
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    For my training personally, makes sense to have a break between weight and cardio or at least few hours or dedicate days specific for cardio only.

What's your take?

My take is that if you used a less incendiary title your signal to noise ratio would be better.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the OP. You went trolling and you caught a whopper. You should become a trolling consultant.

When all of the muscle heads are dropping like flies prematurely because their weak heart gives out, I wonder how counterproductive cardio will seem to them then.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I don't like to do Cardio and Lifting the same day. But my reason isn't nearly as scientific or biochemical.

Basically, on my calendar there is just one exercise checkbox, so if I lift AND do cardio, I still only get to check the box once. Forget that! I dont like to do stuff unless there is a treat involved. No checkbox to check? PFFT I'm not doing it. LOL

Seriously though, just this week I did a circuit training class then tried to do some of the weight machines after. Pretty sure it wasn't effective since I was tired and kept moving the weight lower and counting like this - One Two Four Seven Ten Twelve done. LOL
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the OP. You went trolling and you caught a whopper. You should become a trolling consultant.

When all of the muscle heads are dropping like flies prematurely because their weak heart gives out, I wonder how counterproductive cardio will seem to them then.

No congrats must go to you. For the dumbest statement on the thread quite possibly "muscle heads dropping dead prematurely" nice....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I do not do cardio as I do not like it - so, it will serve me right if I drop dead of a weak heart?
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Well... I decided to see if it was true.

The website article is here.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/other/should-you-do-weight-training-cardio-same-day
    However, the results of the studies actually showed that performing weight training and cardio on the same day had no negative effects on endurance training, resistance training, or muscle growth. In fact, they found that doing 50 percent less of both types of exercise on the same day produced the same results as doing full workouts devoted to one or the other. So, if you’ve been doing your weight training and cardio on separate days, combine your workout to get more bang for your buck.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you. I believe cardio has it's place in fat loss as much as strength training. Cardio helps the heart stay healthy, I'm sure.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/training/other/should-you-do-weight-training-cardio-same-day
    However, the results of the studies actually showed that performing weight training and cardio on the same day had no negative effects on endurance training, resistance training, or muscle growth. In fact, they found that doing 50 percent less of both types of exercise on the same day produced the same results as doing full workouts devoted to one or the other. So, if you’ve been doing your weight training and cardio on separate days, combine your workout to get more bang for your buck.

Nice!
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    I don't believe you. I believe cardio has it's place in fat loss as much as strength training. Cardio helps the heart stay healthy, I'm sure.

That's what Muscle and Fitness thinks, too.

OP seems to be trollin...
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Oh, snap.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    uummm, well, thats not really NEW news! Cardio -especially before you resistance train, can lessen performance and intensity as a result of fatigue, but to say dont do cardio makes about as much since as under-inflating your tires and trying to win the Daytona 500-its not gonna end well. Yes, the best practice is to do it on your off weight training days but often that is not possible. I for one weight train 4 days a week-all bodyparts twice which makes it nearly impossible to do cardio only on days I dont train...I do cardio on saturday and sunday ( off weight training days ) and on wed and if Im training with weights, I make sure my cardio is done on a day im not training legs and after I weight train.
  • Momma1213
    Options
    Jack-Donaghy-Facepalm.gif

Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

This!