Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the dogs, best exercise to get you FIT
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    a healthy mix of cardio and strength training is the way to go..... Though obviously, if you're wanting to run races and such, you're going to do more cardio.... and if you just plain like running or cycling or whatever.

though I am big on strength training, the past couple months my main focus has been training for a half marathon coming up in a couple days.....
  • Brian_VA
    Brian_VA Posts: 125
    Options
    I thnk the article is true for an intermediate to advanced lifter that wants muscle / strength gains above all else. It doesn't say cardio is bad, just unproductive in this pursuit.

I did StrongLifts 5x5 (great program) and quickly went from 95 lb squats with lousy form to 240 lb squats with good form, with similar advancement in other lifts, all while low carb dieting, using an elliptical and loosing weight at a brisk pace. I hit a plateau and know that progressing would have meant getting much more serious about changes in diet and adjusting other activities. And I decided adding 5/10 even 25 lbs to my lifts over the next few months wasn't worth it to me. I started training for a triathlon instead. (And now I love running and biking more than I ever loved lifting)

What you do and how far you advance depend on many factors. But in general, you can reach a pretty advanced level of fitness in your chosen sport(s) without following esoteric advice like not mixing cardio and strength in the same workout. And for most people trying to get healthy and fit, that's perfect. But if you aspire to greatness in a single endeavor, you need to be pay attention to the tips that will allow you every advantage. And I put this tip in that category.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Just going for a 30 minute run - NOW, bye!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.

Try picking up heavy weights and when I say heavy I mean you can pick the weight up 8-10 times with good form and speed, but no more, because you would lose form or your speed would be really slow. Wait 1 minute and do it again. This shoots my heart rate to 155 I have a hard time getting my heart rate that high while doing high impact cardio.
    Heart rate is irrelevant with strength training, it's an anaerobic activity, it doesn't do anything for cardiovascular endurance or fitness.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's interesting reading everyones theories on interpretation of the article when nobody (including the OP) has read it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Does the stationary bike I hop on after I'm done with everything else burn calories even if I'm doing it while reading a book?

1. No (Okay I'm going home.)

2. Yes (even if it's only a few extra, I'm staying, that means I can eat more or lose more, depending on how I feel that day.)

Since all signs point to the answer being 'yes', I'll let the muscle men and women scoff at me while I pedal away.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    There's a question here. Is it really possible to efficiently achive catabolic (fat burning) and anabolic (muscle building) processes at the same time? As with everything fitness related, I've read every side of the argument and have found no good agreement. But it makes sense to me that trying to do both at the same time is a bit counterproductive....so I'm cardio only for now to strip back the blubber. Once I'm down to where I want to be I'll stop trying to lose weight and start trying to be a bit more anabolic and tidy up my strength and muscles.

Try picking up heavy weights and when I say heavy I mean you can pick the weight up 8-10 times with good form and speed, but no more, because you would lose form or your speed would be really slow. Wait 1 minute and do it again. This shoots my heart rate to 155 I have a hard time getting my heart rate that high while doing high impact cardio.
    Heart rate is irrelevant with strength training, it's an anaerobic activity, it doesn't do anything for cardiovascular endurance or fitness.

Really? Since starting lifting heavy my fit burn has gone from 10 minutes in a 60 minute workout to 40 minute fit burn in a 60 minute workout, I doesn't matter what kind of cardio I'm doing I'm now burning more calories per minute while doing a cardio routin, Heavy lifting is the way to go.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can't knock cardio. I lost the majority of my weight before I ever started weight training and it was a mixture of cardio and counting calories. It worked. I use it now to balance out my calorie count for the day and adjust accordingly when I am over or under on my food. I can't consider it counterproductive when I've gone from not being able to run at all to knocking out three miles at a time.
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes. What HE said.
    I thnk the article is true for an intermediate to advanced lifter that wants muscle / strength gains above all else. It doesn't say cardio is bad, just unproductive in this pursuit.

I did StrongLifts 5x5 (great program) and quickly went from 95 lb squats with lousy form to 240 lb squats with good form, with similar advancement in other lifts, all while low carb dieting, using an elliptical and loosing weight at a brisk pace. I hit a plateau and know that progressing would have meant getting much more serious about changes in diet and adjusting other activities. And I decided adding 5/10 even 25 lbs to my lifts over the next few months wasn't worth it to me. I started training for a triathlon instead. (And now I love running and biking more than I ever loved lifting)

What you do and how far you advance depend on many factors. But in general, you can reach a pretty advanced level of fitness in your chosen sport(s) without following esoteric advice like not mixing cardio and strength in the same workout. And for most people trying to get healthy and fit, that's perfect. But if you aspire to greatness in a single endeavor, you need to be pay attention to the tips that will allow you every advantage. And I put this tip in that category.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 hrs a day/ 6 days a week. burn 3000-4000 calories per workout. It's what works for me, and I lose 2.5 to 3 pounds a week generally. So I think I'll just stick with my cardio, thanks.

You're doing whatnow? I don't burn that running a full marathon.

Agreed. My most recent stats: 4hrs 41min marathon; cals burned 3829 (using an HRM)

I actually would like to know your secret... unless you are in the gym for 8hrs on those four days or a contestant on the Biggest Loser... both options are out for me.

It's feasible. At right around 200 pounds I burn about 2000 calories doing a half marathon in a little under 2 hours. She needed to lose 180 when she started, which made her somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 pounds. Out weighing me by around a hundred pounds is going to compensate for the lack of intensity (I rather doubt she was running 13 miles at an 8:45 pace, but at three hundred pounds she doesn't need to). As she's lost weight the number has probably been going down, but the range is feasible.

That said I *seriously* question the long term viability of four hours of cardio six days a week as a weight loss strategy. Unless you're a member of the idle wealthy class, and can completely avoid injury there's no way you can maintain such a strategy long term. I have a hard enough time finding the 2-3 hours I need for a long run once a week, let alone another hour on top of that 6 days a week.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend doing any more cardio than you need to warm up a bit before a heavy lifting day. But if you want to jump on the treadmill post lift I can't see a problem with it. That being said, I typically lift 2-3 times a week and work in some cardio days on my other free days.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Really? Since starting lifting heavy my fit burn has gone from 10 minutes in a 60 minute workout to 40 minute fit burn in a 60 minute workout, I doesn't matter what kind of cardio I'm doing I'm now burning more calories per minute while doing a cardio routin, Heavy lifting is the way to go.

Heavy lifting is "a" way to go. I do it and I like it but Tiger is right that heart rate is irrelevant with strength training. Your performance is improving because you have developed your muscles using strength training so you are more efficient but you get about the same cardio benefit from lifting as you get from a moderately paced walk. Not much.
  • Wolverine13ft
    Wolverine13ft Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this. It is all about your goals. What is going to make you better at what you want. My idea of heavy lifting is different then others. To me heavy is something you can lift one time with whatever form you have to use to get it up. Not recomending this, just saying that is what I do. Intense cardio takes away from you ability to do this but so does being at a negative caloric intake. This is my first post so if I am wrong please forgive me, but it seems like most of us are here to lose weight/bodyfat. A mix of cardio and lifting is in my thinking the best way to do that. But it depends on goals which is the better way to go.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Don't tell what to do!
    Or what not to do!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    sorry to burst your bubble... but you are completely wrong.

I've lost almost 20 pounds doing mostly the treadmill (well, running on it when it's not nice enough outside) so yeah, I don't care what that article says, I'm good with doing what I'm doing
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You know how they say not to believe what you read in BB magazines?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I'm not even sure what you are saying here. Cardio is cardio, and weight training is weight training. They are two completely different forms of exercise that work two completely different energy systems. Also, however many calories you burn per minute has nothing to do with cardio fitness, in fact, the more fit your cardiovascular system is, the LESS calories you will burn per minute, as the cardio system is more efficient. Again, I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My primary physician as well as a heart doctor encouraged me to use the eliptical and tread mill in the beginning of my weight loss

I couldnt stay more than 5 mins on it when I first started.......now I do one hour

I ve lost more that 100 lbs thanks to MR ELIPTICAL and MR TREADMILL...........You shouldn't put such nonsense out there with your OP.................
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    When I'm building muscle I do very little cardio as I want the calories to go towards muscle building. When I'm cutting I will reduce calories first and then when I feel I've dropped enough calories and don't want to drop any more calories I will introduce cardio to burn extra energy.