Get Off That Treadmill! Cardio is Counterproductive!

Options

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start lifting weights. But at 350 LBs im curious if its safe? I have a bad back too so that doesnt help.

You should definitely start lifting if this is something that interests you. If you prefer cardio, do that! If you do decide to go the route of lifting however, may I suggest hiring a good trainer for a few sessions to show you proper form and workout to minimize any possible accidents.

Regarding the topic, DO WHATEVER EXERCISE YOU LIKE. If you like cardio (like I do) then do that. If you like lifting, do that. DO NOT LET SOME <INSERT COLORFUL WORDS> TELL YOU WHAT YOU SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT DO. When you do something you like, you are more likely going to do it over a long period of time. I know lifting is awesome, but I just donot enjoy it. So rather than doing something I hate, I choose to do something I love which is walking, jogging, biking and boxing. All cardio, all giving me good enough results.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've lost ALL my weight thanks to cardio. It's what I'm good at & I'll continue to do it..... no treadmill or gym needed..... so please do not call me a gym bunny cause I have never stepped foot in one. I do cardio because it gets me going for the rest of the day & helps my overall health. If I don't do my cardio I WILL snap your head off.....so everyone tells me to run.

Bite me M & F....
  • Lyndelee
    Lyndelee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Uhm, no. Don't believe everything you read, dear. I don't care if it was in a fitness magazine, it's not true. There are MANY reasons why cardio is good for you. A lot of them have nothing to do with physical appearance. Cardio is not counterproductive, neither is weight training. Staying on the couch, however, is!!
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    Some people really should do their own research before posting such drivel on a public forum!!

{sigh}
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I wanted to start lifting weights. But at 350 LBs im curious if its safe? I have a bad back too so that doesnt help.

You can start lifting at any weight and if you want to do it, start asap. Lifting has loads of benefits, as does cardio, they are just different benefits for the most part. If you have a bad back I would check if there are any exercises you cannot do, however, lifting has helped my previous back issues as it has strengthened my core.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hello Gym Bunnies!

Hope you're all dandy. :0)

I'm afraid I'm the barer of bad news... well, simply relaying some new revelation: yup... as the title of the post says... don't waste your life on cardio! According to an article in Muscle and Fitness October Issue (Page 114) mixing it up prior or post weight training will detract from the intensity and performance. So get off that treadmill and go home!

So? What do you do? When do you integrate cardio in your routine, pre-workout, post-workout or on separate times or dedicated to only cardio days? How often do you cardio your fat off?

Thank you! :0))
    Nonsense.

It depends on the type of cardio being done. Walking on the treadmill after a workout is great for recovery. Now performing HIIT after a weight session is something, I would never do.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Wow.

When I was in my best shape ever, cardio was my bff. It works for my body. My body loves it. Just because some magazine said it, doesn't mean it is true.

If you read an article in a newspaper that said, "Jump off the Empire State Building and Live Longer" would you do it? No. HELLO.

Just because it is in print doesn't mean it is accurate. Don't be a puppet.

It seems I am not alone as others have posted saying the same. Cardio works. Cardio burns like crazy. Thing is, I don't go overboard with it. I don't want to look like a she-man with weights. I want to be fit. I don't want to stroke out because of raging cholesterolish junk and toxins raging through my body, I want them out of my body SAFELY....

/endtopic
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

It seems I am not alone as others have posted saying the same. Cardio works. Cardio burns like crazy. Thing is, I don't go overboard with it. I don't want to look like a she-man with weights. I want to be fit. I don't want to stroke out because of raging cholesterolish junk and toxins raging through my body, I want them out of my body SAFELY....

/endtopic
    You lost me at the "I don't want to look like a she-man with weights. I want to be fit" comment.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wow.

When I was in my best shape ever, cardio was my bff. It works for my body. My body loves it. Just because some magazine said it, doesn't mean it is true.

If you read an article in a newspaper that said, "Jump off the Empire State Building and Live Longer" would you do it? No. HELLO.

/endtopic

Yep - I look exactly like a she-man.

And what 'cholesterolish junk' toxins are you getting rid of with cardio?
  • Sharkington
    Options
    tumblr_maw2ywfyL71qbwr9w.gif
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    304059_534342873261837_641447562_n.jpg
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 hrs a day/ 6 days a week. burn 3000-4000 calories per workout. It's what works for me, and I lose 2.5 to 3 pounds a week generally. So I think I'll just stick with my cardio, thanks.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Hello Gym Bunnies!

Hope you're all dandy. :0)

I'm afraid I'm the barer of bad news... well, simply relaying some new revelation: yup... as the title of the post says... don't waste your life on cardio! According to an article in Muscle and Fitness October Issue (Page 114) mixing it up prior or post weight training will detract from the intensity and performance. So get off that treadmill and go home!

So? What do you do? When do you integrate cardio in your routine, pre-workout, post-workout or on separate times or dedicated to only cardio days? How often do you cardio your fat off?

Thank you! :0))

I used to read those comics back in the day - now I just want to buckle down and do some cardio AND some strength training and feeling better for it.
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I guess all that running I've been doing hasn't been aiding my fitness at all, and it's been some ridiculous illusion. Why did no-one tell me sooner? Why did no-one tell me that I haven't, actually, been able to run for longer, faster, and harder? Why did everyone (body and phone included) join in with this horrific charade?

I feel cheated and lied to :(

--But at the end of the day, you've just got to do what works for you. For me, cardio works. Running, I particularly joy, especially outdoors. That isn't going to change, and it's got me to where I am now.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    Oooh, another article by the fitness industry! Quick take it literally and avoid all kinds of exercise.

Everything in moderation. Too much of anything will cause issues eventually.
  • ChunkieNuts
    ChunkieNuts Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sorry to burst your bubble... but you are completely wrong.

:laugh: yep
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    cardio either first thing in the morning , after a workout or by itself wont do any harm!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I work out 4 hrs a day/ 6 days a week. burn 3000-4000 calories per workout. It's what works for me, and I lose 2.5 to 3 pounds a week generally. So I think I'll just stick with my cardio, thanks.
    How much are you eating per day? That's a lot of calories being burned in a day. I think your calculation is off.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Hmm, a weight lifting magazine says don't do cardio, just do weight lifting. Yeah, seems totally unbiased...

tigerpalm.jpg

When you find a article in Runner's Weekly telling you how weight lifting can hamper your endurance training, what will yu do then? Hide on the couch with a bag of Cheetos? All exercises have their place.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Wow.

/endtopic

Your just silly arnt you? Talk about spouting rubbish on a forum! Your opinion is as ill informed as the one your ranting about! Pot and kettle come to mind!