Finally, a GOOD protein mug cake!

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
So I'm a big fan of mug cakes. Always have been! There are so many different recipes out there, and unfortunately many of them are lacking in the taste department. And the ones that aren't are just ridiculously unhealthy!

I've seen a few recipes for "protein" mug cakes around here, and after becoming very excited, was disappointed to find that none of them were what I was looking for. They mostly came out dry, powdery, and tasteless.

Well, never fear, good people of MFP. I have taken my favorite mug cake recipe of all time and combined it with a protein cake recipe, to come up with a concoction that is both delicious and healthy! The calorie content isn't exactly "low" I guess, but all the calories come from protein and healthy fats, so I consider it a very healthy snack overall!

Ingredients:
1 Scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I use Body Fortress)
1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute (I use Truvia baking blend)
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 egg
1 Tbsp almond milk
1 Tbsp peanut butter

Mix all the dry ingredients in a mug (protein powder, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt) with a fork until well blended and there are no clumps. Add in the egg and almond milk and mix until smooth. Drop the peanut butter into the center of the chocolate mixture and press down to submerge. Microwave for around 1 minute on high (give or take some time depending on your microwave), but watch it! It will start to bubble over the top. If this happens, stop microwaving, press batter back into mug with fork, and continue microwaving. When finished, cake should be cooked but still very moist. It is okay if not all the batter has cooked!

NOTE: The original recipe I used called for 2 Tbsp almond milk and 1 egg white. I accidentally put in the whole egg, so that's why I only used 1 Tbsp of almond milk. You could try the original recipe way for a lower-calorie alternative!

This is so delicious, it really feels like a dessert :) When you get the peanut butter in the center it's a special treat!

Calories: 334 | Carbs: 15 | Fat: 16| Protein: 37

Replies

• AyySixPack
    AyySixPack Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    So I'm a big fan of mug cakes. Always have been! There are so many different recipes out there, and unfortunately many of them are lacking in the taste department. And the ones that aren't are just ridiculously unhealthy!

I've seen a few recipes for "protein" mug cakes around here, and after becoming very excited, was disappointed to find that none of them were what I was looking for. They mostly came out dry, powdery, and tasteless.

Well, never fear, good people of MFP. I have taken my favorite mug cake recipe of all time and combined it with a protein cake recipe, to come up with a concoction that is both delicious and healthy! The calorie content isn't exactly "low" I guess, but all the calories come from protein and healthy fats, so I consider it a very healthy snack overall!

Ingredients:
    1 Scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I use Body Fortress)
    1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute (I use Truvia baking blend)
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp almond milk
    1 Tbsp peanut butter

Mix all the dry ingredients in a mug (protein powder, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt) with a fork until well blended and there are no clumps. Add in the egg and almond milk and mix until smooth. Drop the peanut butter into the center of the chocolate mixture and press down to submerge. Microwave for around 1 minute on high (give or take some time depending on your microwave), but watch it! It will start to bubble over the top. If this happens, stop microwaving, press batter back into mug with fork, and continue microwaving. When finished, cake should be cooked but still very moist. It is okay if not all the batter has cooked!

NOTE: The original recipe I used called for 2 Tbsp almond milk and 1 egg white. I accidentally put in the whole egg, so that's why I only used 1 Tbsp of almond milk. You could try the original recipe way for a lower-calorie alternative!

This is so delicious, it really feels like a dessert :) When you get the peanut butter in the center it's a special treat!

Calories: 334 | Carbs: 15 | Fat: 16| Protein: 37

Hell yea!!! Thanks so much for this recipe I've been looking everywhere for a good recipe with a good amount of protein like you did this is awesome gonna try this as soon as i get some ingredients I need from the grocery store but damn this sounds bomb! Btw quick question about how many tbsp of all white egg whites would equally one egg entire white from an egg ? (If you happen to know please let me know i would apperciate it!)
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Hell yea!!! Thanks so much for this recipe I've been looking everywhere for a good recipe with a good amount of protein like you did this is awesome gonna try this as soon as i get some ingredients I need from the grocery store but damn this sounds bomb! Btw quick question about how many tbsp of all white egg whites would equally one egg entire white from an egg ? (If you happen to know please let me know i would apperciate it!)

From reading other recipes I THINK about 3 Tbsp of egg whites would equal one normal egg white, but I'm not totally sure! Hope you enjoy it.
  • nmtGurl
    nmtGurl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    mmmm. saving for later :-)
  • AyySixPack
    AyySixPack Posts: 144 Member
    Options

From reading other recipes I THINK about 3 Tbsp of egg whites would equal one normal egg white, but I'm not totally sure! Hope you enjoy it.

Oohh alrite yea I think you are correct because the serving size on the nurition label says one serving is 3 tbsp so basically your rigjt :tongue: nd oohh yes I will hopefully by this weekend thanks again!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Dont have almond milk, would skim be fine?
  • makeoverpm
    makeoverpm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i've never heard of mug cakes! Genius!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks!
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Dont have almond milk, would skim be fine?

I'm sure it would be!
  • liezelcha
    liezelcha Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nrd2212
    nrd2212 Posts: 128
    Options
    bump
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yum! And I trust your palate so I will definitely be trying this soon!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Bumping to try later.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful.
  • 100daysoffreedom
    Options
    bump
    thank you!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Bump! I only have chocolate protein powder so I'll use that and a drop of vanilla extract. Thanks!!
  • legaline
    legaline Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    yum! im watching my carb intake so might sub in flax or almond flour for 1/2 the protein powder. thanks!