Bump!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So I'm a big fan of mug cakes. Always have been! There are so many different recipes out there, and unfortunately many of them are lacking in the taste department. And the ones that aren't are just ridiculously unhealthy!

I've seen a few recipes for "protein" mug cakes around here, and after becoming very excited, was disappointed to find that none of them were what I was looking for. They mostly came out dry, powdery, and tasteless.

Well, never fear, good people of MFP. I have taken my favorite mug cake recipe of all time and combined it with a protein cake recipe, to come up with a concoction that is both delicious and healthy! The calorie content isn't exactly "low" I guess, but all the calories come from protein and healthy fats, so I consider it a very healthy snack overall!

Ingredients:
    1 Scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I use Body Fortress)
    1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute (I use Truvia baking blend)
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp almond milk
    1 Tbsp peanut butter

Mix all the dry ingredients in a mug (protein powder, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt) with a fork until well blended and there are no clumps. Add in the egg and almond milk and mix until smooth. Drop the peanut butter into the center of the chocolate mixture and press down to submerge. Microwave for around 1 minute on high (give or take some time depending on your microwave), but watch it! It will start to bubble over the top. If this happens, stop microwaving, press batter back into mug with fork, and continue microwaving. When finished, cake should be cooked but still very moist. It is okay if not all the batter has cooked!

NOTE: The original recipe I used called for 2 Tbsp almond milk and 1 egg white. I accidentally put in the whole egg, so that's why I only used 1 Tbsp of almond milk. You could try the original recipe way for a lower-calorie alternative!

This is so delicious, it really feels like a dessert :) When you get the peanut butter in the center it's a special treat!

Calories: 334 | Carbs: 15 | Fat: 16| Protein: 37

I cant wait to try this! Thanks
  • gsbrooks1
    Options
    bump
  • Mds08
    Mds08 Posts: 2
    Options
    Bump
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Bump for later....sounds good!
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I made mine with dark chocolate chips, 2% milk and unflavored whey, and it was AMAZING (the chocolate chips and milk only added 2 extra grams of carbs). The chocolate and PB settled to the bottom, but you flip it over and it's like the cake has a frosting! This was excellent!!

OH, I am definitely trying this with almond butter replacing the PB!
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    mine was too gummy :( is that because i didn't use baking soda? i don't have any. or i might have left it for too long
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I left out the egg (due to an egg allergy) and it was far too spongey. I often do this and the recipe usually turns out fine. However, I could have used this cake to clean the house lol. I'll try it with apple sauce next time.
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    wtf is a mug cake?
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    it sounds great but no microwave can I make it in a normal oven does anyone know????
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Axiell
    Axiell Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    wtf is a mug cake?

A single serving cake made in a cup or mug. :)
  • wannabethin102777
    Options
    Bump
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jamers1949
    Options
    Wow,that sounds so yummy and easy .Thank you for sharing!:smile:
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shella_bella
    Options
    :bigsmile: save for later, thanks
  • Rlopez913
    Rlopez913 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try this. I love my choc chip cookie mug cake but I can't have it because i'm cutting carbs.