Finally, a GOOD protein mug cake!

Options

Replies

• a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The last couple times I have made this,I had no pb so I added half a banana (mashed to a liquidy-state) and no almond milk and it turned out great too :)
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I make this same thing quite a bit and instead of an egg I use 3 tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce.
  • AnaVerasGettingFit
    AnaVerasGettingFit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    bump
  • LabrakaDebra
    LabrakaDebra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    must try this!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    So I'm a big fan of mug cakes. Always have been! There are so many different recipes out there, and unfortunately many of them are lacking in the taste department. And the ones that aren't are just ridiculously unhealthy!

I've seen a few recipes for "protein" mug cakes around here, and after becoming very excited, was disappointed to find that none of them were what I was looking for. They mostly came out dry, powdery, and tasteless.

Well, never fear, good people of MFP. I have taken my favorite mug cake recipe of all time and combined it with a protein cake recipe, to come up with a concoction that is both delicious and healthy! The calorie content isn't exactly "low" I guess, but all the calories come from protein and healthy fats, so I consider it a very healthy snack overall!

Ingredients:
    1 Scoop vanilla whey protein powder (I use Body Fortress)
    1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute (I use Truvia baking blend)
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1 egg
    1 Tbsp almond milk
    1 Tbsp peanut butter

Mix all the dry ingredients in a mug (protein powder, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt) with a fork until well blended and there are no clumps. Add in the egg and almond milk and mix until smooth. Drop the peanut butter into the center of the chocolate mixture and press down to submerge. Microwave for around 1 minute on high (give or take some time depending on your microwave), but watch it! It will start to bubble over the top. If this happens, stop microwaving, press batter back into mug with fork, and continue microwaving. When finished, cake should be cooked but still very moist. It is okay if not all the batter has cooked!

NOTE: The original recipe I used called for 2 Tbsp almond milk and 1 egg white. I accidentally put in the whole egg, so that's why I only used 1 Tbsp of almond milk. You could try the original recipe way for a lower-calorie alternative!

This is so delicious, it really feels like a dessert :) When you get the peanut butter in the center it's a special treat!

Calories: 334 | Carbs: 15 | Fat: 16| Protein: 37

could i ommit the peanut butter for pb2?
  • bellesmama75
    Options
    bump
  • horses7777
    Options
    yummy...bump! :happy:
  • getfitnowdee
    getfitnowdee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I will be trying this soon..THANK YOU !!!
  • cananimal
    cananimal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Will definitely be trying that out! Thanks :happy:
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to trying this! Thanks!
  • divid
    divid Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • forasmallerass
    Options
    Bump
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bump.... thank you!!!!
  • Infauna
    Options
    Hmm, this sounds interesting.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good. I want it now but kids ate all the PB...darn it. lol
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump! Have peanut butter in the fridge, but want to try this recipe with almond butter, too. mmm cake!