SAHM 2/1/10-2/7/10

Options
12346»

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Welcome Katie! Always great to have another one join our crew! Especially another runner!:flowerforyou:

Trish- Do week one again! There is no problem with that. I also wouldn't push your March race off. If you have to walk a little bit, who cares! There is no reason why you can't walk a little. Just think, you will be walking much less, if at all, than your Hale 5k. You will probably surprise yourself!

Shera- I hope you feel better!

As for me, I cannot wait to run on Tues! My knee is feeling better, although it was feeling a little tweaked today because of planting trees.:noway: we planted about 50 trees. I will probably plant more tomorrow.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks for supplying my lungs with more clean oxygen, Nicole! 50 trees? That's a big good deed!

I think I will try day 1 of week 2 on Monday to see how it goes. If I completely fail, I will do week 1 again. I am definitely doing better off the TM though, not being focused on time and speed and all.

So, good news! My mom called me today & told me she was on southwest.com buying the tickets to NY. She wanted to make sure I was really going. I told her unless I am mortally ill, I'm going to be on that plane! Just don't know how it's going to go with Grace. Mom was saying she would sit by window & I could take aisle, cuz nobody would want a seat in the middle with a baby around, but I told her that Grace can't sit in that seat unless she has a car seat, which means buying another ticket. So I hope that gets sorted out. Either way, Grace is getting new coloring books and crayons for the 5 hour flight!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Trish- That is great news! Where in New York is your fam? I grew up in PA and my SIL is from NY.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    My favorite aunt (mother of the bride) lives in Ronkonkoma out on the island. Most of the rest of the family lives in the city and upstate. I also have 1 uncle & his family in FL (not far from Canaveral & Orlando)

I can't wait to go shopping for Grace for the trip! I'll also get myself some new clothes. Hoping to be size 14. This week is discouraging though with that pesky 3 lbs hanging on from the race. Did I mention I'm easily discouraged? LOL
    BIIIIIG ego, easily deflated.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    ok, i haven't heard of that town, but I still have relatives in White Stone. Cool about the shopping trip!

The hubs and I are going to have a date night tonight. We are going to go see a movie. I think we are going to see Avatar. I have heard it's good. I think I burned enough cals planting the trees to get popcorn! Yay!
  • blessdmomof4
    Options
    Had a hard time meeting goals today. Didn't make it on the water (days not over yet though). I am so bummed that my gym closes at 7 on Saturdays. That doesn't make sense to me. I would have been there right now if it was open!
    Goals for tomorrow
    NO OVEREATING or underestimating portions of super bowl munchies!
    80+oz of water
    No eating m&m's in secret.

I was going to try to do a wf+ workout but I find them so boring and time consuming for so little calories...anyone have any ideas for a high calorie burn in a very small space? My living room is so tiny!
    Have a blessed Sunday everyone.
    Melissa
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Actually, you can burn about 500 cals doing Wii Fit Plus. The calories it tells you are actually way lower than they actually are. For every 10 mins of Free Run you do, you burn 100 cals. Rhythm Boxing on Expert can also torch 70-90 cals if you really throw yourself into it.
    If you're looking for more of a challenge, try Wii Biggest Loser, and Wii Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010.

Nicole, enjoy Avatar. It IS a good movie. We saw it in 3D.
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Had a hard time meeting goals today. Didn't make it on the water (days not over yet though). I am so bummed that my gym closes at 7 on Saturdays. That doesn't make sense to me. I would have been there right now if it was open!
    Goals for tomorrow
    NO OVEREATING or underestimating portions of super bowl munchies!
    80+oz of water
    No eating m&m's in secret.

I was going to try to do a wf+ workout but I find them so boring and time consuming for so little calories...anyone have any ideas for a high calorie burn in a very small space? My living room is so tiny!
    Have a blessed Sunday everyone.
    Melissa

when I was pressed for space in my living room (my area rug size 5x8 was all the space I had ) I did jumping jacks, squats, cruches, arm curls. I even tried to jump rope but that was more successful outside. even jog in place was a fall back on some days. anything to get moving, used my couch so I could do dips. That was a little more challenging becaues of the cushions, I couldn't get much of a grip on it but I could get a few sets in. HTH
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Trish ~ What week were you up to? I know when I did the jogging parts, I really didn't go very fast...the important thing for me was actually getting it done, and if that meant I had to run, slower..so be it! Running on the road is way better than a track or treadmill, way more to keep your focus on. What music do you run to? How old is Grace? I flew with my oldest when he was 18 months and I bought him his own seat, he slept the entire time! He is not a cuddle bug though, there was no way I was going to be able to hold him (especially 20 weeks preggers)

Nicole ~ Yay for runners! LOL Sorry your knee has been acting up...and holy moly on the trees, that was one heck of a work out I bet :) Have fun on date night! I loved Avatar, my hubby said it was the most girlie sci-fi ever...but he liked it.

Shera ~ I burn a lot of calories doing Tae Bo and Turbo Jams, and you really don't need a lot of space for that

So how do you guys go about exercise points? I have been eating most of them, except maybe 100-300 depending on what I burned...do I need to eat them all? Sometimes I find at the end of the day I need to eat a huge dinner to make up the difference, and I can't see how that is healthy?? I do have morning and afternoon snacks..maybe I should make them higher cal? This is so confusing to me! I've been doing WW on and off for a couple years, taking breaks for being pregnant and having babies ;)...so this is a whole new way of thinking for me!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Katie, I just did week 1, using PodRunner for music and training. When I cross train, I listen to my strong beated stuff from bands like Ludo, Maroon 5, and Cartel. I also like Beach Boys & original Jackson 5 (I have ABC & I Want You Back on my iPod, Steve). If you want, I can post my playlist some time. I need to add a few new songs like Uprising by Muse. When I am kinda down on myself, I really like The Climb by Miley Cyrus. I could go on for a while about music, but I won't waste your night ;)
    All you need to do is picture chubby chick on stationary bike, head bobbing, mouth going, legs flying at 100 rpm to get the picture of what I rock out to, LOL

I also just read an interesting article on diet on runnersworld.com. It helped me figure out where I want my calories to be if I want to keep losing weight. I even changed some of my percentages on my MFP diet so that it was 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat. I may drop the fat another 5% and up the protein. I do enjoy meat!
    Basically if you times your weight by 13, you'll get about how many calories you burn in a day just living. After that, you can take 3500 cals (which equals 1 lb), and times it by how many pounds each week you want to lose, and divide by 7. Subtract that from the first number, and you've got what you should be eating in total, including workouts.

Example: I put in 220 as an average for me, and multiplied it by 13 to get 2860. After that, I put in that I wanted to lose 3 lbs each week just for now. So 3500 x 3 = 10,500 and divide that by 7 (cuz there are 7 days in a week). That's 1500. Now I subtract 1500 from 2860 to get 1360. 1360 is the calories I should be eating right now if I want to drop 3 lbs a week. I currently have MFP set at 1400, so I was pretty close!

I hope that made sense.
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Hey ladies---I am back! Had to take a couple of sanity days where I didn't post.

Katie--Welcome! You have a found a great group here--very supportive & motivating.

Melissa--I am glad(well not really) that someone else battles the m&m's in the cabinet. I sneak them too.

Trish--thanks for that formula! Interesting to see if it works for you. I have upped my calories by 100 or so & it seems I am not a "starved" and I have either lost or maintained for the last couple of days.

Today was difficult because we were traveling to an all day competition for our kids. It is so hard for me to take "good" food along. Sandwiches just don't last me all day so I end up snacking on things that aren't good. I did pretty good--tried to plan it out. B'fast was oatmeal &I had yogurt, a chimichanga & grapes for lunch. Snacks were mixed nuts, m&ms(HA!) and raisins and a nature valley granola bar. It all added up to more carbs than I need but not by a ton. We will see . . . .

The thing that I was most impressed by was my stamina today. Most of the day I just sit and keep score or ride in the car so mentally I am wiped out. Tonight I am tired and ready to go to bed but I am not a puddle like I usually am. I really think the frequent exercising made a difference. My daughter(13) is a lot like me physically. She gets stressed & she tires out easily. Or she'll get headaches. The next months is full of these competitions(gone 4 Saturdays of the next 5) so I am going to try to get her on a water/exercise routine.

Sorry for rambling. Oh another challenge--carry in dinner at church tomorrow. I am taking a vegie tray & salad. Usually there is a good meat and tons of fattening dessert so at least I will have a healthy choice. :)

I hope everyone has a great Sunday.

Kim
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Just to confuse you (and myself) further, I did an experiment. I didn't want to forget how I got this calculated, so I guess I'm putting it here for posterity.

Part 1:
    Use 3500 x the pounds you want to lose (3 for me = 10,500)
    Add up the calories you did NOT eat back this week (1879 for me this past week)
    REMEMBER THIS NUMBER!

Part 2:
    Take your weight & multiply it by 13. (220 x 13 for me = 2860)
    Subtract what you have your MFP set at for daily calories. (2860 - 1400 for me = 1460)
    Take that number and multiply it by 7 (10220)

Part 3:
    Add the final number from part 1 to the final number from part 2.
    Divide by 3500.
    You should have lost that many pounds the past week.

If this is true for you, then it proves you probably shouldn't eat your calories back. If it's not even close, then pay no attention to my rambling because I'm terrible at math anyway, and tend to think not backwards, but inside out (another perk of ADD for me-- brain goes too fast to keep up half the time)

For what it's worth, I expected a 3-4 lb weight gain from my 5k, which put me at 222. Using the above formula, I should be at 219 from there. Today I was 220. So when I weigh in tomorrow (making the above formula 1 full week), I should be 219.

I will keep you updated.

EDIT: The original result I came out with was a loss of 3.45, but now I'm getting a loss of 6+ lbs. So obviously I'm screwing the formula up somewhere. Hmmm...
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Hello ladies! Happy Sunday!

Avatar was AWESOME!!! We saw it in 3D...I can't wait to see it again! We are definitely going to buy it when it comes to dvd. We planted about 38 more trees today, and I walked with hubs, for a total burn time of...1224 cals! WOAH!!! That's with wearing my HRM. That should be accurate right?

Trish- I have my goals set at 45% 35% 20% Carbs/prot/fat because of running.
  • bensbama
    Options
    good evening. sorry i haven't been on since the other day. my husband had the computer. today i decided was spring cleaning day. i cleaned for about 5 hrs and still have alot left to do but had to stop bc my back was hurting really bad. do anyone have any suggestions for some exercises that i can do. i don't have a wii but i do have an elliptical. i use it when i can. i can't do sit ups bc of my back. also it would be great if it could be something that i could get my daughter and the boy i babysit involved in. i hope everyone is having a great nite.
  • michfitzhome
    michfitzhome Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    hi my name is michelle and i have 5 kids, 5 and 3 year old daughters and 16 month old triplets (2 boys and 1 girl). i am having a hard time losing the weight and watching them. i seem to be watching the food enter my month. i am doing much better since i had my epiphany that i do not want to be the fattest person in the room anymore and i hit rock bottom. I am hoping to join this group, I was not sure if you start a new thread each week?

i am new to this SAHM, i worked full time until 5 weeks before i had the trips, so i guess it is not as new as i thought it was, boy does time fly. i cant believe my babies are 16 months old, just seems like yesterday i was delivering them. i have the hardest time not picking on their food but this journaling thing has definitely helped with that. we do belong to a gym so that helps me put the kids in child care and get to work out, they meet and play with kids and i get an hour or so to myself, sometimes the only time i get all day.

i am off to bed, it is 1235 am here outside Atlanta and 6 will come pretty quickly!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Trish ~ hmm..that's just too much math for me this morning!! LOL But hey, congrats on the loss!!

Nicole ~ I'd say that's pretty accurate! WOW!! How do you change the goals, and why do you have it at that because of running?

Hi Michelle ~ I just joined and these girls are great!! Welcome aboard! You must be busy busy with all those kids! And 16 month old triplets?! Yikes! I can barely handle my 20 month old right now ;)

I don't know if someone starts a new thread each week, or what??

Off to the gym to burn off some of what I ate yesterday...I was bad!! haha, all worth it though, had a great time with friends and my team won, and my husband surprised me at half time by coming home! (wasn't supposed to be home til tomorrow!)

Tomorrow is weigh-in, and I'm scared...really really scared! LMBO ;)