Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hello again!

So in January I'm going to restart this thread/challenge. I challenge you all to start thinking about how you can cut down on your sugar. I am doing well - - this week.

it would certainly help if my friends didn't bake:angry:

but they do, and it is good:love:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Hello again!

So in January I'm going to restart this thread/challenge. I challenge you all to start thinking about how you can cut down on your sugar. I am doing well - - this week.

Well, it is the holidays after all. I'm a lot mellower than last year about everything. I still feel I have to be all-or-nothing when it comes to sugar, but that's the way it is. :ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hello again!

Well, it is the holidays after all. I'm a lot mellower than last year about everything. I still feel I have to be all-or-nothing when it comes to sugar, but that's the way it is. :ohwell:
    [/quote

oh me too. once that stuff hits my mouth I cant stop. i am fluffy again all from sugar and white crap. I am workign towards removal..............but then a ginger snap arrives, or a homemade pumpkin muffin............bon bons.........oh gosh where is the drooly smiley?

So after Christmas all the crap goes out and I start fresh. i am working towards better foods.................but the sweet stuff is everywhere

Good luch C
  • cmriverside
    Options
    oh me too. once that stuff hits my mouth I cant stop. i am fluffy again all from sugar and white crap. I am workign towards removal..............but then a ginger snap arrives, or a homemade pumpkin muffin............bon bons.........oh gosh where is the drooly smiley?

Drooling-Excited.gif

d'oh
  • jackflash007
    Options
    bump for later, thanx for the info..... :)
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Been wondering what happened of this challenge... I'm tempted to join in :wink: - at my own terms, though. I doubt I'll go cold turkey this time :smile:. cmriverside, :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Been wondering what happened of this challenge... I'm tempted to join in :wink: - at my own terms, though. I doubt I'll go cold turkey this time :smile:. cmriverside, :flowerforyou:

Ms Drop! So nice to see you! I was away from MFP for a year busy gaining 20 lbs and feeling sorry for myself. I'm back, and happy about it!

I hafta stay away from the stuff. Not forever, but I can have only a very rare treat. Otherwise, I fall into allowing it back into my life. You do well anyway, so do what works for you.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    What? I can't hear you over all of this damn gingerbread.:wink:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Ms Drop! So nice to see you! I was away from MFP for a year busy gaining 20 lbs and feeling sorry for myself. I'm back, and happy about it!

What a coincidence-- I was here faithfully at MFP for the past 364 days busily gaining 20 pounds too-- 30, actually-- and feeling sorry for myself.

Soul sistahhhh!!!!!!

Seriously-- I can't do the all or none, either-- but, have gotten a better grip on it again. I'm also trying to eliminate the bread and pasta crap--
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Drooling-Excited.gif. Why tank you !!!

d'oh
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    ok folks now that we are confessing.....got totally stessed out today and......hit the vodka....yikes carb city.....thankfully I also got totally sick to the stomach none the less if chocolate would have been available I would have totally eatten a pound. Not the mvvp kind of thing to do.......you guys keep me motivated. richie
  • dewdrop
    Options

What a coincidence-- I was here faithfully at MFP for the past 364 days busily gaining 20 pounds too-- 30, actually-- and feeling sorry for myself.

Soul sistahhhh!!!!!!

Seriously-- I can't do the all or none, either-- but, have gotten a better grip on it again. I'm also trying to eliminate the bread and pasta crap--

Let's team up again, then! :flowerforyou:
    I'm thinking of a plan... :smokin: Things I want to keep out of the fridge... Time to make New Year's Resolutions, right?
    So nice to see you, ladies!
  • Marla64
    Options

Soul sistahhhh!!!!!!

I'm thinking of a plan... :smokin: Things I want to keep out of the fridge... Time to make New Year's Resolutions, right?

Once the holiday baking is done, things will be so much easier. We almost never have that kinda crap around the house anymore-- too expensive for the prebaked crap for one thing. I don't buy sugary crud for the kids, but tell 'em if they want something sweet they have to bake it. And on the occasions they bake it, it doesn't last long and I'm generally strong and avoid it.

Enter holiday baking? Not so much.

We're baking more today and tomorrow-- I'm skeered!
  • dewdrop
    Options
    OK, I think I have my plan already. I'll start January 3rd with the following strategy: I have by default 5 points a week. Everything beyond that counts as a loss. 2 points are for homemade sweets: if in decent amounts, I won't count the pieces. 3 points are for artificially made stuff (fruit yogurt or a piece of chocolate) - these count piece-wise. Maybe I am a bit too permissive and I might adjust on the fly - will see how it goes.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Cool. I was busy for a few days. Look at all the friends. :love:

I've had nearly a month with no added sugar, other than a few cocktails.

Happy Christmas or whatever you all celebrate. I bought a pumpkin pie yesterday and some Pomegranate/Apple cider. That will be my sweets for the month. Two pieces of pie today and two tomorrow and I'm giving it away or throwing it out. Tomorrow will be the last for me. Going forward, I'm not counting the occasional cocktail. (No more than three a week, though.)

Talk to you all soon.

lol3.jpg
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    OK, I think I have my plan already. I'll start January 3rd with the following strategy: I have by default 5 points a week. Everything beyond that counts as a loss. 2 points are for homemade sweets: if in decent amounts, I won't count the pieces. 3 points are for artificially made stuff (fruit yogurt or a piece of chocolate) - these count piece-wise. Maybe I am a bit too permissive and I might adjust on the fly - will see how it goes.
    Hi Sweet Dewie:smooched:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Soul sistahhhh!!!!!!

Once the holiday baking is done, things will be so much easier. We almost never have that kinda crap around the house anymore-- too expensive for the prebaked crap for one thing. I don't buy sugary crud for the kids, but tell 'em if they want something sweet they have to bake it. And on the occasions they bake it, it doesn't last long and I'm generally strong and avoid it.

Enter holiday baking? Not so much.

We're baking more today and tomorrow-- I'm skeered!

Dewy
    Riverside
    Awty
    and
    Marla

FIghting sweet crime everywhere we go!! :laugh:

I am baking today (new yearly 'thing' for Kelly and I) This year it is red velvet cupcakes.

Starting tomorrow, no sweets.

I am amazed at the floof that occurs in 2 days of eating flat out sugar. AMAZING really!

Merry Christmas!! Love you ladies.

Ooh Becca...........I see you too below my post! Hi sweetie!
  • Marla64
    Options
    well, today I've had enough chocolate today last a lifetime.

Didn't log anything today-- it's Christmas. Had a lovely, sweet-filled day-- back to the usual routine in the morrow.

perfect day today with all my kids-- really, really a lovely Christmas--

Wishing all my sweet friends a great day.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Didn't log anything today-- it's Christmas. Had a lovely, sweet-filled day-- back to the usual routine in the morrow.

perfect day today with all my kids-- really, really a lovely Christmas--

Wishing all my sweet friends a great day.

Logging. My albatross.

So glad you had a nice Christmas. That's great to hear.

I stayed home alone, fixed my turkey meal, ate my pumpkin pie, woke up with a sugar hangover. Yeah, I definitely have some biological reaction to sugar. That just isn't right......I will do some research on that.

I liked what Dewdrop said about "things to remove from the refrigerator." I removed sugary stuff from the house long ago....but what her statement made me think of was doing a running calendar on the fridge tracking my treats, and then how I felt afterward. Not the guilt and remorse "feelings" - but the physical feelings: like the sugar hangover this morning. In the past I've been able to break bad habits by noticing how I physically felt when I participated in _ _ _ _ _ <insert bad habit here>. Then sitting with that bad feeling and working through it. The psychological feelings are a whole nuther story.

So when I start this, probably on January first, I'll track my days successful (by keeping a count 1, 2,3 etc) and by success I'm going to say Not Eating Added-Sugary Treats Of Any Kind. That is the only thing that works for me. I know I'll have something on holidays, but I'm limiting myself to those days again/still. I'm allowing three drinks a week, although I can't remember the last time I had cocktails, I think it was Thanksgiving week.

To each their own. Marla, if I lived in a house with nine children I would need a different strategy.

Like maybe eleven drinks a week....
  • Marla64
    Options
    Cheryl -- you crack me up.

Ate too much crap again today-- dammit.