Sugar is not your friend part 2

Options

Replies

• 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,759 Member
    Options
    I've been hanging strong. I had some issues last weekend, but since Monday I've been doing well. My eating has been quite good actually, curious to see if the scale cares. I'm on a no scale challenge for the week and as much as I want to peek, I won't because I do need to step away from the scale. Knowledge is one thing, allowing it to affect my mood is something different.

I decided since I've been virtually the same weight since last May, that I will give it 3 more months of really sticking to it, really watching sugar intake, bumping up the training, keeping to eating fairly clean and see what happens. If at the end of the 3 months, my weight is still where it is now, I'm going to accept it and change my goal weight to 150 and learn to live with that number.

Granted if I do that, I will continue to work out and eat well, but I can stop reaching for the unobtainable and relax a little with all of it. A person can drive themselves crazy after a while! Insanity by definition.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,100 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people saying they are trying to lose that last ten. How did you arrive at that weight number? I'm always curious. Because I'm pretty sure I don't have the time to do what it would take to get back to the weight I was at age 26 - which was about 13 pounds less than I am now. PLUS, I wasn't really healthy, I was living on caffeine, sugar, hamburgers, alcohol and cigarettes. I'll take this happy healthy body any day over that girl, who was lighter.

I did decide that as long as I'm in the healthy weight range, that I would relax. (And I'm mid-range.) It is self defeating for me to think I will be any happier ten pounds lighter. But I know many people need to have a goal. Maintenance is difficult too. You have to adjust your measurement(s) of success. Like sugar abstinance......for instance. I am proud to have a handle on sugar, and it took me years.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Cheryl, I was in heaven when I found Silk soy creamer. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite compare to the International Delights that I used to have. I recently found a coconut milk creamer that is far superior. It actually lightens my milk the way ID did, the flavor stays sweet and creamy (I find that I don't need to add as much sweetener, if any). It's So Delicious Coconut Milk French Vanilla Creamer. I think there was a hazelnut as well, but I'm a Frenchie kinda girl.

Lori, have you thought of having a body mass analysis done? It might surprise you to see where you're at. I had one done this summer, and while I'm nowhere as near my goal as you, I was surprised at the amount of lean muscle mass it said I had. When the guy sat down to go over the numbers with me at the end, it was very enlightening. Where I was thinking that I had about 70 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight (115-prekids weight), he explained that I only had 63 lbs (only!) of fat on my whole body. While my fat percentage was 35% (obviously high), a healthy fat percentage is 21% (although I think that's on the high side). I only had to lose 14% of fat to get to a healthy percentage. And that was only 25lbs! The real shocker though... Is that I have 117 lbs lean muscle mass!!! My goal of 115 evidently was totally wrong, and I was never going to make it (unless I lost muscle, which I don't want to happen). I then told the guy that I had been at 150 lbs before, and while not bad, I still had wanted to lose weight. Looking at my numbers, he said that 140-135 was probably doable, but that it would be pretty hard to get there.

Then he tried to sell me green algae supplements. LOL Practically all the spa treatments on the cruise came with a hard sell on green algae. Guaranteed to get me over my plateau. The green algae rub was guaranteed to help with my sore aching muscles. Hmmm. Those were the only two things I had done. Anyways, I know no pill is going to make things easier. But I do find it interesting that the Spiru-tein protein mix I use does have green algae in it.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Cheryl, I was in heaven when I found Silk soy creamer. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite compare to the International Delights that I used to have. I recently found a coconut milk creamer that is far superior. It actually lightens my milk the way ID did, the flavor stays sweet and creamy (I find that I don't need to add as much sweetener, if any). It's So Delicious Coconut Milk French Vanilla Creamer. I think there was a hazelnut as well, but I'm a Frenchie kinda girl.

Lori, have you thought of having a body mass analysis done? It might surprise you to see where you're at. I had one done this summer, and while I'm nowhere as near my goal as you, I was surprised at the amount of lean muscle mass it said I had. When the guy sat down to go over the numbers with me at the end, it was very enlightening. Where I was thinking that I had about 70 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight (115-prekids weight), he explained that I only had 63 lbs (only!) of fat on my whole body. While my fat percentage was 35% (obviously high), a healthy fat percentage is 21% (although I think that's on the high side). I only had to lose 14% of fat to get to a healthy percentage. And that was only 25lbs! The real shocker though... Is that I have 117 lbs lean muscle mass!!! My goal of 115 evidently was totally wrong, and I was never going to make it (unless I lost muscle, which I don't want to happen). I then told the guy that I had been at 150 lbs before, and while not bad, I still had wanted to lose weight. Looking at my numbers, he said that 140-135 was probably doable, but that it would be pretty hard to get there.

Then he tried to sell me green algae supplements. LOL Practically all the spa treatments on the cruise came with a hard sell on green algae. Guaranteed to get me over my plateau. The green algae rub was guaranteed to help with my sore aching muscles. Hmmm. Those were the only two things I had done. Anyways, I know no pill is going to make things easier. But I do find it interesting that the Spiru-tein protein mix I use does have green algae in it.

pettmy,

REALLY? Coconut Milk Creamer? I think I love you. No sat fat there, either. Now, where to find it? A mission for my weekend shopping. Thanks!:flowerforyou:
    Oh, I just found a bunch of retailers nearby who sell it!

And really good stuff about the body mass analysis. Awesome. I'm gonna save the $$$ and just assume I'm on th eright path! Thanks for that info, too. You guys are the best!!

___________________________________________________________________-
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Good morning fellow sugar shunners! Hope you're feeling better Cheryl. You too Marla, with your ooky cure!

I was again under my sugars (when I subtracted the veggies and fruits) I had yesterday. I have quit subtracting the milks, so those are in my 40 and under totals.

Katy, I was thinking about trying to make my own milks (thanks again for the links), but I just realized yesterday as I was at the store, that the RD told me to get the "enriched" ones for the added nutrients. I've been playing around changing up my nutrients tracked, and I am sooooo not getting enough calcium as it is anymore. So, I'll stick with the sweetened enriched milk beverages for now (funny thing, I haven't seen an unsweetened one that is enriched--but I haven't checked at the co-op yet either). And I'm going to have to look into calcium supplements. Anybody have good ones? I know Viactive tasted good when it first came out, and I'm thinking about getting those again. Of course, I have to double check labels to see what exactly is in them too.... The hospital sells some kind of calcium supplement as well, I should check into that.

Viv, are lattes sugar filled? I'm not a fancy coffee drinker, other than the snickers mocha that the cruise-n-coffee in town makes. Ummmmmm yum. But I know that one's a doozy for sugar, with chocolate syrup and caramel syrup squeezed for 5 seconds or so into the bottom of the cup.

It's the lactose. . .so there's no added sugar, but milk has quite a bit of lactose, which tracks as sugar. I weaned myself off of all the added syrups and powders and potions. One latte with whole milk (hey, I like it) has about 17 grams of sugar, so it's hard to fit into the budget if I'm trying to stay within MFP guidelines. I try to limit dairy in general (a little is OK, too much and my body doesn't seem happy with me) so it's an every few day treat.
  • 72lori
    Options
    I am 5'5" tall, so 150 is the VERY top of my healthy weight range, I'm sitting in the low 150's now. I'm not trying to get back to any weight. I weighed more at 26 than I do now. :wink:

The furthest back I can officially track and have record of is 10th grade and I was 148- I was 16 years old. I KNOW by the time I graduated I was more, probably 160-170, but I can't be completely sure, it's just not a number I remember, I never really loved the scale back then.

So, for your answer, I want to be in a healthy weight range. I would like to decrease body fat %. I bought a handheld body fat thingy, I know it's not 100% accurate, but it has me around 23%. I would LOVE to be at 18%, but I'll take 20%. If I can lose body fat and remain the same weight, I'm cool with that.

I can look at my body and know there is more fat to lose, not a lot, but more (my thighs have their share). I have an equation to figure out lean body mass based on weight and BF% and it tells you a good weight for whatever BF% you so desire.

So there you go. I have no scientific reason to want to weigh 140. 50 pounds ago, my goal was 150, but as I got closer I felt I could get lower. Now, I'm not sure my body wantsta. We shall see.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep doing what I do and maybe my BF% will at least cooperate.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    I'm not really firm with a goal weight number, but I do have a size I'd like to comfortably fit in, a waist size fantasy (only about two inches from it) and I would die of happiness if my bf% got to 20%. Essentially, I want to be a slightly smaller, but much firmer version of my current self. (and I'm not really complaining about where I am now. . .but, well, you know perfectionism/high standards and what not.)

Oh, and sugar is a stupid meanie, and may not be my valentine, even if I did have a cranky day, and would like to self-medicate, I won't.

Because I am a strong anti-gut sistah!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    *Peeks in with her tail between her legs*

Can I come back? :sad:
  • pettmybunny
    Options

Viv, are lattes sugar filled? I'm not a fancy coffee drinker, other than the snickers mocha that the cruise-n-coffee in town makes. Ummmmmm yum. But I know that one's a doozy for sugar, with chocolate syrup and caramel syrup squeezed for 5 seconds or so into the bottom of the cup.

It's the lactose. . .so there's no added sugar, but milk has quite a bit of lactose, which tracks as sugar. I weaned myself off of all the added syrups and powders and potions. One latte with whole milk (hey, I like it) has about 17 grams of sugar, so it's hard to fit into the budget if I'm trying to stay within MFP guidelines. I try to limit dairy in general (a little is OK, too much and my body doesn't seem happy with me) so it's an every few day treat.

I wasn't even thinking of the milk, because I never counted that in my sugar totals. You are a stronger woman than I am to keep below MFP totals including these naturally occurring sugars.
  • 72lori
    Options
    I'm not really firm with a goal weight number, but I do have a size I'd like to comfortably fit in, a waist size fantasy (only about two inches from it) and I would die of happiness if my bf% got to 20%. Essentially, I want to be a slightly smaller, but much firmer version of my current self. (and I'm not really complaining about where I am now. . .but, well, you know perfectionism/high standards and what not.)

Oh, and sugar is a stupid meanie, and may not be my valentine, even if I did have a cranky day, and would like to self-medicate, I won't.

Because I am a strong anti-gut sistah!

Oh do I ever know perfectionism and high standards. Throw in a dash of OCD and tada- ME!

Hence why I can't be happy when everybody tells me I look great. I still SEE the things that don't look so great. If it's possible to firm them and keep them the same size, fine, I'll take that.
  • tamarads
    Options
    :sad: I'm ashamed..I baked a cake for my family; they were complaining that granola and yogurt weren't cutting it in the dessert dept. I found a recipe here for a Diet Soda Cake and it was good. If you are watching calories and fat it isn't a bad deal, but 22 grams of sugar in 1/12 of a cake is appalling and I ate it. I had sugar free cool whip with it too. After logging in my eating and seeing the numbers I'm so disgusted with myself, it tasted okay, but I could have easily done without it. Back on the wagon for me tomorrow and back on the elliptical. Thanks for letting me share.:ohwell:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Shuntaegrouphug-1.gif of course! We missed you!

Tamaratherethere.gif sounds yummy!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Good morning! Just checking in, absolutely nothing going on here, I'm going to put the kitty in the pet-stroller and take her for a walk up to the post office. Well, that about wraps up my exciting day.

Then - yuck - cleaning house. I've been sick and in bed all week. Time to suck it up.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Bumping this to remind myself that I want to join you in this and that I need to come up with a plan (what I do allow myself to eat and what is on the no-no list).
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Good morning ladies! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend. I did well in avoiding sugar. I did have down for my evening snack last night to have 1/2 TBSP of peanut butter with 24 semi-sweet chips (you wouldn't believe how long I can make something like that last), but I ate dinner late and didn't want to overstuff myself with that treat. Didn't even really want it.

I must go finish getting ready for my 2.5 hour work day. LOL Seems like such a waste to get dressed (in work clothes) and put on make up for such a little time. Then I rush across town (ok, the across town only takes about 7 minutes, but I still rush), to get to the personal group training class at noon. Once again, I say it seems like a waste to put on the make-up when I'm only going to sweat it off in a couple of hours.

Have a good one all!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Successfully ordered "just a latte" at the new gelataria. It was really, really good. And, surprisingly, it wasn't hard to order "just" that. That alone is starting to feel like a pretty big treat. Interesting how sweet-tasting the following things have become to me:
    milk, lettuce, cucumbers, apples. I tried to eat a pear and couldn't finish it because it was too sweet. WHAT?:laugh:

Today is a sugar-free mani-pedi.:wink:

Wishing you all sugar-free self-indulgence!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    pettmy, I found some of the coconut milk creamer. Tasty. A little expensive, not very sweet - I bought the plain version because of the sugar in the french vanilla. I like it! Thanks. I love finding new good stuff. wait.gif

I had a no-exercise week last week due toa cold, so I am chomping at the bit to get back to the pool today! Can't wait. Unfortunately I got used to sleeping in, too. so I'm running a bit behind. Just now having breakfast.

V - good job on the Latte. I think about frozen yogurt. Then I think about the unnecessary cals and just don't want it.

Sugar is not my Valentine.:heart:
  • 72lori
    Options
    I'm hanging pretty strong with my no sugar. I did have a McDonald's ice cream cone Saturday night. I like them, the calories are lowish (150) and there is no more in the house to eat when I finish what I have. Perfect in my world.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Okay. I worked out way longer than I should have at the pool. It felt so good to be back in the water after being sick last week. SO hungry though. I had lunch AND a piece of carrot cake. Of which I've been dreaming for weeks. Now I may go into a sugar coma. I stopped drinking for the month - - did I tell you guys? Another thread.....but anyway, now I have sugar cravings. I'm done now. That one should hold me till March. Wasn't even that good. Or maybe just didn't last long enough.........

Go Lori.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    pettmy, I found some of the coconut milk creamer. Tasty. A little expensive, not very sweet - I bought the plain version because of the sugar in the french vanilla. I like it! Thanks. I love finding new good stuff. wait.gif

Perhaps all the sugar in the french vanilla is why I find that I don't need to add sugar to my coffee anymore. I didn't even look at the sugars in it, to tell the truth. I was just happy to find something that seemed "real" to me.

Viv, congrats on getting just the latte. I remember when I was trying to lose weight before DH's and my wedding, I gave up sweets, and once a week, on our marriage lesson day (we're catholic and had to go to premarriage counseling), we would get a Snickers Mocha. It was definitely our sweet treat for the week!

Lori, built in quantity control is a good thing!