Why is it ok to bash skinny people but not fat people?!

Options
jsapninz
jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
Today a couple of my coworkers were talking about a woman at their gym who was "SCARY SKINNY."

I called them on it...and they went on to justify it by saying "no...she IS. She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY!"

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

Yes, you CAN be too unhealthily skinny. But it is WAAAY more common to be unhealthily fat. Yet it is NOT OK to say ANYTHING bad about being overweight, just ok to bash chicks for being too skinny.

We SHOULD live in a world where noone is talked badly about, yet at the same time it is ok to be MORE HONEST about people who are unheathy in a RESPECTFUL tone (I am over the whole "I LOVE MY CURVES (read:fat), and I NEVER WANT TO CHANGE!!").

BEING UNHEALTHY IS UNHEALTHY. :explode:

Discuss: why is it OK to bash skinny people, but not even SUGGEST being overweight is unhealthy too?

Replies

• this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Umm woot . .
    This convo came up today at work. . people have been saying how much weight I have lost . .but I then ask them why they didn't say anything to me back then. . every person said that they didn't want to hurt my feelings!

But looking back. . .I think it might have been the push I needed . .
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Who said it was okay? Equal opportunity bashing for all!!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It's really honestly not.

Btw... if you read your OP, it's kind of rude and judgey itself.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY."

I'm not sure where you live, but I've heard people talk like that many times.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

Do you live under a rock? You hear that ALL the time.

The fact of the matter is no it is not right to bash skinny or fat people....BUT it happens all the time to both people. Good job on actually doing exactly what you are complaining about in your own post, btw!
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    People bash fat people all the time, so I don't really get your post.

Even my coworkers will go on and on about how gross some of the fat customers are, and then if I say something about how I take offense to it as I'm pretty much the same size, they just go "Oh not you, we love you". As if that makes sense. Haha.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY."

I'm not sure where you live, but I've heard people talk like that many times.

Yup, me too.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    Options
    old thread is old.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Be lean with a lot of muscle...then you can just bash everyone...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I've heard plenty of both skinny and fat-bashing. I've definitely been guilty of it in the past but try really hard not to do it. People are very judgemental. I find that even though it goes on people are much more open about telling you if they think you are getting too skinny but won't say it (to your face) if you are overweight
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Who said it was okay? Equal opportunity bashing for all!!

This. I bash skinny and fat people equally.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I hate everyone equally.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Whaaaaat? I make fun of fat people all the time, I don't know what you're talking about.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It is NOT okay to bash skinny people OR fat people. Why do people think it's okay to bash fat people? Why do they think it's okay to bash skinny people? It.Is.NOT.

*SMH* this whole bashing society is getting on my nerves.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I guess in the same way that it's ok to bash white folks, but not people of color....as in, the one group was bashed for so long that now we have switched gears?

Personally, I don't think it's cool to bash anyone.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    CmyLR.gif
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I hate everyone equally.

Except me. She hates me most cause I'm the best.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    ONE! ONE failed thread! AH HA HA HA hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Be lean with a lot of muscle...then you can just bash everyone...

With your lean, muscled fists!
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Bashers gonna bash.