Why is it ok to bash skinny people but not fat people?!

Options

Replies

• MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered the same thing. Thank you for having the guts to point this out!! :drinker:
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've overheard more fat bashing than skinny bashing, truth be told.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Today a couple of my coworkers were talking about a woman at their gym who was "SCARY SKINNY."

I called them on it...and they went on to justify it by saying "no...she IS. She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY!"

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

Yes, you CAN be too unhealthily skinny. But it is WAAAY more common to be unhealthily fat. Yet it is NOT OK to say ANYTHING bad about being overweight, just ok to bash chicks for being too skinny.

We SHOULD live in a world where noone is talked badly about, yet at the same time it is ok to be MORE HONEST about people who are unheathy in a RESPECTFUL tone (I am over the whole "I LOVE MY CURVES (read:fat), and I NEVER WANT TO CHANGE!!").

BEING UNHEALTHY IS UNHEALTHY. :explode:

Discuss: why is it OK to bash skinny people, but not even SUGGEST being overweight is unhealthy too?

Fat people get talked about and bashed all the time, so I'm not really sure what you're referring to there.

That aside, I try not to talk about thin OR fat people when I see them. I might judge them in my head, but honestly I can't really help that. I very rarely say anything to someone I'm with if I feel the need to make a comment. My sister on the other hand is absolutely horrible to make fun of or comment about a very overweight person if we see them. It's embarrassing because she's usually not very quiet about it. I honestly think she does it to feel better about herself since she's having issues losing a little extra baby weight, but I have no idea.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Here's a better question: Why is it ok to bash short people, especially men? Unlike obesity or extreme thinness, height is definitely not someone's fault.
  • toridehaven
    Options
    I guess I am confused by this...so you would be ok as long as they bashed equally among fat and skinny people? How about just respecting the fact that everyone is on their own journey. No matter how much they weigh they deserve to be respected as a fellow human being.
  • aubreykkkk
    aubreykkkk Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Wow some of the replies are terrible!
    I, on the other hand, completely agree with everything that was said in the OP. I definitely hear skinny bashing a lot. I completely understand where you are coming from!
  • hjensen2263
    hjensen2263 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    How about we just encourage people instead of bashing them?
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

unicorns-and-rainbows3-300x153.jpg
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Here's a better question: Why is it ok to bash short people, especially men? Unlike obesity or extreme thinness, height is definitely not someone's fault.

what if they smoked as a teenager?!?!?!?!?!?
  • BetterThanExpected
    BetterThanExpected Posts: 104 Member
    Options

This. Fat or skinny. Their body, their choice.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't make fun of anyone. Skinny people can also get offended, some are trying to gain muscle mass and have problems doing so.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 95 lbs I got skinny bashed all the time. I am 30! Don't stress over it because truthfully, you gain nothing from being taken by the chaos.
  • crazylovergrl
    crazylovergrl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There is a girl at my gym who definitely has an eating disorder. She looks like a holocaust victim and I'm honestly afraid she's going to die when she works out. I don't talk about her, but I feel like I should talk to the gym staff because I don't know if it's safe. And then if they say something to her, will they get accused of skinny bashing?!
    I think it's natural to have an urge to help someone who you perceive as contributing to their own demise. It's like watching someone commit suicide.
    Hey, you're going to die on the spot if you keep working out at 80lbs and 5'7!
    It's like when I see huge fat people with oxygen tanks and power scooters at the buffet, loading up their plates again and again with the worst of the worst food. Hey, you're going to die right here if you keep it up!!
    It's not bashing. It's a natural empathetic response.

*jumps off soapbox*
  • lizapettit
    lizapettit Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Because if you are thin in our society, you obviously have an eating disorder... Or you're on drugs. If you're fat you're just lazy :wink:
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Be lean with a lot of muscle...then you can just bash everyone...

hahahaha exactly!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    i am a bigger girl and i bash on fat people all the time!!! lol i am only jealous of skinny people that never work out and have a crazy high metabolism and stuff their face with junk lol that sucks but o well life is unfair
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    CmyLR.gif

That's awesome!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Today a couple of my coworkers were talking about a woman at their gym who was "SCARY SKINNY."

I called them on it...and they went on to justify it by saying "no...she IS. She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY!"

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

Yes, you CAN be too unhealthily skinny. But it is WAAAY more common to be unhealthily fat. Yet it is NOT OK to say ANYTHING bad about being overweight, just ok to bash chicks for being too skinny.

We SHOULD live in a world where noone is talked badly about, yet at the same time it is ok to be MORE HONEST about people who are unheathy in a RESPECTFUL tone (I am over the whole "I LOVE MY CURVES (read:fat), and I NEVER WANT TO CHANGE!!").

BEING UNHEALTHY IS UNHEALTHY. :explode:

Discuss: why is it OK to bash skinny people, but not even SUGGEST being overweight is unhealthy too?

It's not okay to bash either side. I don't care if you are skinny and wanna bash other skinnies or if you are fat and wanna bash on other fatties. People need to look at their own faults and work on them before they can judge others. And even then, they still shouldn't judge. And if someone is too skinny or too fat, that is that person's own journey and I am sure they feel bad enough about themselves with out someone talking about them behind their backs. People need to think about how it would make themselves feel if they heard others talking about them.

I am not a catty woman and never enjoyed the company of girls that were.
  • MsMarlaMae
    MsMarlaMae Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bashers gonna bash.

Damn that is one nice userpic, just saying. Tasty.
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    saying a skinny person looks "scary unhealthy" is a whole lot different than people shouting things at fat people as they're walking down the street and people making "mooing" noises at you and other insults fat people have to deal with.''

SO not even the same level.

And some people do get too thin.

I freaking hate that. Why do people feel the need to moo or whatever when another person is walking down the street? I have had people do that to me. But I do have the comfort that I am out there exercising while I am betting they just sit on their *kitten* all day.