Why is it ok to bash skinny people but not fat people?!

Options

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    honestly I think it is wrong to bash anyone period. We are all individuals nothing about any 2 people is the same. I love that and wish only that others could see that our flaws and weaknesses need not be critised but encouraged into a healthier way of living. :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be okay to bash ANYONE. Just my opinion on the matter.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    saying a skinny person looks "scary unhealthy" is a whole lot different than people shouting things at fat people as they're walking down the street and people making "mooing" noises at you and other insults fat people have to deal with.''

SO not even the same level.

And some people do get too thin.

explain to me how is it not on the same level? you are saying it's ok to yell things at the skinny person, but not the fat person? i say either you have to hate equally on everyone, or keep your mouth shut all together. no more of this uneven hating.

No one yells things at skinny people. People might say "eat something, you're too thin", or comment to their friends that the person is "scary unhealthy" but no one yells things or verbally abuses them in public.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Good lord. Is everyone a victim nowadays?

Yes, unfortunately. And none of it is their fault.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Let's get real. Why is it OK to bash redheads?

This gets right at the underlying issue- hair color is something you do not have control over. You are born that way.

BUT, weight is NOT something you are born with. I'm sorry, but no one was born obese and you CAN change it. That's where the difference lies for me (yes, yes I know you can dye your hair too).

And there is nothing about your hair color that makes you unhealthy, being severely under or overweight is unhealthy though.
  • kelseyhere
    Options
    saying a skinny person looks "scary unhealthy" is a whole lot different than people shouting things at fat people as they're walking down the street and people making "mooing" noises at you and other insults fat people have to deal with.''

SO not even the same level.

And some people do get too thin.

explain to me how is it not on the same level? you are saying it's ok to yell things at the skinny person, but not the fat person? i say either you have to hate equally on everyone, or keep your mouth shut all together. no more of this uneven hating.

No one yells things at skinny people. People might say "eat something, you're too thin", or comment to their friends that the person is "scary unhealthy" but no one yells things or verbally abuses them in public.

I think you are just bitter. Skinny people get yelled at too and verbally abused in public all the time. I once knew someone with a metabolism issue that made it very hard to gain weight. People were always telling him he looked like he just got out of a concentration camp. I think that justifies as verbal abuse.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Which world are you living in? Overweight people get made fun of a million times more often than underweight people.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Payback?

Payback for what? I'm honestly perplexed by this. And I am a curious person.
  • kelseyhere
    Options
    I feel as though being scary skinny is (in most instances) probably intentional--whereas being scary fat is not. They'd change it if they could--they might even be working on it. I "bash" scary skinny chicks because I was one of them and I hate to think they're negatively impacting young women. Just my opinion--like I said, I've been there and I hate seeing it.

this is the kind of thinking that get's us into this mess in the first place. there are reasons why people cannot gain weight also. NO ONE IS OBESE BECAUSE OF GENETICS. yeah sure, some people are just a little fatter than others naturally, but no one is obese at birth. that is not natural.
  • mediakills
    Options
    Skinny girls are people toooooooo.
    ~ 101lbs and 5'10
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Skinny girls are people toooooooo.
    ~ 101lbs and 5'10

I just took a peek at your profile. You're striving to be ninety-nine pounds. What an awesome goal. How healthy.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

Payback?

Payback for what? I'm honestly perplexed by this. And I am a curious person.

yeah, not 'every' 'skinny' person has made fun of a 'fat' person.

I had always been a skinny person, when I got a job at Macy's, they put you in a 'floating' position and basically stick you in whatever department they need help in until a permanent position opens up. One day, i got stuck in the Women's World department (plus sizes), the girls there were unbelievably mean and rude to me. They even called to the main office to see if they could put me somewhere else. Nope, I had to stay. So I tried to learn everything I could about plus sized fashions. Then ALL the girls decided to go to lunch together, and left me there all alone,

I tried to help the ladies that came in, but they were rude to me as well, "Where is Sally? She's supposed to be here" I said, "She's currently at lunch, is there something I can help you with?" The lady glares at me, gives me a once over, "No, you skinny people don't know anything, why are YOU even working here? You don'tr belong ANYwhere near here" and she walked off.

What did I do?
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I hate the "I love my curves" BS. I'm sorry, there is a difference between fat and curvy. Big boobs and a butt don't mean curvy if you are obese, they mean fat.

Before everyone starts hating- I am about 40 pounds from "real curvy", so as a current "fat curvy", I am allowed to say this :)
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I have heard both fat and skinny bashing , but WAY more fat bashing.

If you get into an argument with a stranger (road rage, cut in line, using too many coupons, whatever) and you are fat you will hear a fat comment for sure! I've never heard a skinny comment in those instances. I have heard people call others ugly a lot, too.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I'm personally sick of all the average-size people....

Like jeez make up your dang mind!!! Eat more or lose weight. Stop confusing me. You aren't giving me much room to insult your appearance. :grumble:
  • beccannes
    Options
    I agree with you on this. Growing up I had a fast metablism and could not gain weight no matter how much I ate (part of the reason I am in the situation I am in now). Alot of people judged me for this and would make rude comments.. whick was better in the long run, gave me a back bone! Anyway-I was talking to a friend of mine who is in excellent shape and eats a healthy diet. She said one of our mutual friends made a comment to her about her having an eating disorder b/c she was so thin. I am not sure if this friend was joking or what-that's just not something you joke about.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

meanie.jpg

:wink:
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I'm personally sick of all the average-size people....

Like jeez make up your dang mind!!! Eat more or lose weight. Stop confusing me. You aren't giving me much room to insult your appearance. :grumble:

Bahaha....Good one!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Apparently.

A bunch of boohoo'ing and ignorance in this thread.

Just take care of you, treat others with respect, and move on with your life.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Just on this site recently someone posted a link and article about a buff cheerleader and so many of the responses were negative and just plain rude. She was gross. She looked like a man. No one would ever sleep with her and so forth. It isn't just fat and thin shaming. Somehow it became ok to shame fit people too.