Why is it ok to bash skinny people but not fat people?!

Options

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Who the heck cares? Seriously.

If people stopped complaining about their problems, stopped gossiping, and got over them, they'll realize it's not as big a deal as they make it out to be.

This says it all!

It's a topic for discussion. If you don't want to discuss, DON'T CLICK OR REPLY. :angry:
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    I hate everyone equally.

I hate everyone as individuals...but I rarely have positive thoughts about anyone ahead of me in a line, regardless of size. People behind me are fine, they just need to wait their turn.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People over-react and say that slender people are unhealthy, but usually that's not correct (or they say "Well, they are skinny, but...followed by insults). I don't let it bother me. They are obviously struggling with their own issues when they say that, I'm not going to let it cause me issues.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    Our society has accepted obesity as the norm, not skinny people. Even when you are lean, fit, healthy, people say you are too skinny. I agree, there is a point where too skinny can be unhealthy and unattractive. But even when it is a healthy, fit, lean it goes against our society. Once you become fit you are going against the grain and I don't believe this is going to end any time soon. Our society has embraced inactivity, an over abundance of food, magic pills that don't work, wishful thinking, and weight loss surgeries.

Good work. You convinced me to eat more ice cream.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    In what world are you living where fat people aren't being bashed ? calling someone fat is like the most common bashing in existence, crossing race, age, borders even weight - it always fits. last time I was bashed for being skinny was...sometime in childhood ? no....when I was born ! the nurse said shove that blue skinny *kitten* in the incubator before he dies on us !
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Let's get real. Why is it OK to bash redheads?
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    They talk about the obesity epidemic every other day on the news
    With video of larger people walking, large people eating...

We know it is unhealthy.. people fail to see that being rail thin, starving yourself, is just has bad.
    Which is way we bash. :-)
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Skinny people are lifted up by our society as an ideal. Thus, there is a backlash to the thin-worship that permeates our culture.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I bashed a redhead for a few years in college.....those were the days

Me too...and then I married her.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Today a couple of my coworkers were talking about a woman at their gym who was "SCARY SKINNY."

I called them on it...and they went on to justify it by saying "no...she IS. She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY!"

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

Yes, you CAN be too unhealthily skinny. But it is WAAAY more common to be unhealthily fat. Yet it is NOT OK to say ANYTHING bad about being overweight, just ok to bash chicks for being too skinny.

We SHOULD live in a world where noone is talked badly about, yet at the same time it is ok to be MORE HONEST about people who are unheathy in a RESPECTFUL tone (I am over the whole "I LOVE MY CURVES (read:fat), and I NEVER WANT TO CHANGE!!").

BEING UNHEALTHY IS UNHEALTHY. :explode:

Discuss: why is it OK to bash skinny people, but not even SUGGEST being overweight is unhealthy too?

It's not okay to bash anyone.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    People are judgemental over one or more groups of people period. Show me someone who claims they aren't and you'd be showing a liar.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

WHY is this type of trash talk ok? You never hear people say "Wow that chick is SCARY FAT! She looks GROSS & UNHEALTHY." Yet skinny bashing is perfectly ok in our culture!

really? i definitely hear people make fat jokes. and you see far more fat jokes on tv/movies than skinny jokes.

and i think a lot of the skinny joke stuff is jealousy.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I bashed a redhead for a few years in college.....those were the days

Me too...and then I married her.

Lucky

Mine was the daughter of a wealthy man, and I, coming from a humble backgroud, wasn't enough for his baby girl.

Why is ok to bash poor people!?!?!
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options

because redheads from Scranton are hot and I like to...oh, you said bash, never mind
  • Alsha1999
    Alsha1999 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That video is hilarious!
  • JessLov67
    Options
    I agree, it's definitely more common for people to say someone is "too thin"
    I have had heavier friends say I am "too thin" when I'm actually right in the middle of normal.
    "Curves" and fat are very different. it's almost like people are pushing obesity.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm....i have been overweight my whole life and have been consistantly bashed about it. Lots of people have no shame and no problem telling me how disgusting I am. Not nice to make fun of thin people either but dont think for one second that people hold back hurtful comments to heavy people!!!
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Our society has accepted obesity as the norm, not skinny people. Even when you are lean, fit, healthy, people say you are too skinny. I agree, there is a point where too skinny can be unhealthy and unattractive. But even when it is a healthy, fit, lean it goes against our society. Once you become fit you are going against the grain and I don't believe this is going to end any time soon. Our society has embraced inactivity, an over abundance of food, magic pills that don't work, wishful thinking, and weight loss surgeries.
    Wrong. I think the idea is that fat people already pay a price for their unhealthy habits. They are made to feel unattractive and unwanted by a society. Sanctioned bashing would be just piling on.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    it's not ok. It took me being friends with a naturally very very skinny person for this to sink in for me. She described what it felt like for people to comment on her appearance. What some people even felt was a compliment, often hurt her feelings....like OMG you are just so skinny or OMG eat a cheeseburger and put some meat on those bones.

I eventually came to the realization that it isn't appropriate to comment on any1s body or physique. Just say nice things, it's not that hard! I love that sweater, you look great in that dress, your hair like that is just beautiful, etc.

I'm really glad this person was a part of my life. It taught me a great deal.