Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options
When you run a calorie deficit you are actually denying your body what its asking for...during this period of denial it would be completely normal to feel hunger....with this in mind I looked up the word Pang and Hunger Pang....it’s these hunger pangs or feelings that you must overcome, through discipline, in order to lose those unwanted pounds.....so these are the words that define/describe "pang" or "hunger pang" - twinge, ache, throb, prick, stab, a sudden feeling of mental or emotional distress or longing: a pang of remorse; a pang of desire, a sudden, brief, sharp pain or physical sensation; spasm: hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes, A sudden sharp feeling of emotional distress, distress acutely, pain, stab, sting, stitch, ache, wrench, prick, spasm, twinge, throe, gnawing, pains in the abdominal region which occur in the early stages of hunger or fasting and are correlated with contractions of the empty stomach or intestines

All of the above words are negative or bad...food stops the pangs and thus eliminating the negative/bad feelings....these negative/bad feelings must be voluntarily subjected/inflicted towards yourself in order to attain your weight loss goals....to endure these bad feelings and push through them and attain your goals, you all need to toughen up and stop being sissys.....if you’re not feeling these negative feelings/bad feeling you are likely not losing weight and likely not working towards your goals and you are likely a sissy (does not apply to mfpallers that are trying to gain weight)....toughen up and reach your goals sooner

I want to be brutally honest and go on the record stating that these hunger pangs will be a part of your life for the rest of your life if this little experiment is to become a lifestyle change....let me explain....at any given moment (a snapshot in time if you will) you are either in a state of weight gain or weight loss, there is no in between! in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....now you need to ask yourself if your tough enough and disciplined enough to endure the anguish, the pain, the constant denial, the wrenching of your stomach, the aching, the emotional distress, for approximately HALF of the rest of your life??? you will be denying yourself what you really want to eat for the rest of your life, I know this is true because the "normal old you" the “you” in your natural state got you fat and rarely if ever denied yourself food (does not apply to people on mfp that are trying to gain weight)....only the continued denial of the foods you want in the quantities you want them will allow to reach your weight/fitness goals and then only a very similar denial of foods will allow you to maintain your weight/fitness goals once they are attained....if you’re not willing to accept this reality then you need to go eat a pizza or a chocolate cake or whatever you love right now and just enjoy life being fat…
Otherwise prepare for a lifetime of tremendous and continued discipline…
Agree? Disagree? Why?

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Agree, I feel like all i do now is think about the food I can't eat
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Agree, I feel like all i do now is think about the food I can't eat

I inspect the cakes at the bakery isle every time i go to the grocery store
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I've been intermittently fasting since january...I dont get hunger pangs anymore.

Hugs!
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    how's that work? IF, heard of it, haven't looked into it
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I've been intermittently fasting since january...I dont get hunger pangs anymore.

Hugs!

Being able to ignore the signs/feelings of hunger to the point that you claim to be able to suggests a very high level of discapline....good job
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Wat. I'm never hungry. I struggle to reach my calorie goal most days so I've been eating cookies, pie, and ice cream lately to fill in the gap. I do 20/4 IF so I'm never hungry until dinner time (which is when I eat). I just eat a ton of vegetables, shirataki noodles, and oatmeal with a scoop of whey protein. All of this amounts to 500-600 calories so I'll eat baked goods, ice cream, etc. to bring my total up. You DO NOT need to be hungry to lose weight.
  • AlanisT
    AlanisT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    thank you for this. :) and yes, i agree.
  • saudade108
    Options
    I started taking Glucomannan supplements (fiber) before meals and in the evening when I shouldn't be eating because I have no more calories to spend in order to mask that feeling because I was finding myself giving in to the pain and eating in the middle of the night. I know there's no magic pill, but it seems to help! LOL
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    at any given moment (a snapshot in time if you will) you are either in a state of weight gain or weight loss, there is no in between! in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....
    Think of a person who's always naturally been at a normal, healthy weight. Never been overweight (or underweight for that matter) in their entire life. Do they get hungry from time to time? Sure. Does that mean they're miserable? NO!

I'm thinking of my dad. He's always been at a healthy weight. While he never had to try to maintain his weight, he's NOT one of those people who can eat ridiculous amounts of calories and still be thin. He eats like a normal person. He gets hungry three or four times a day. When it happens, he eats. Simple.

Hunger is a natural thing. Hunger does not equal misery. I think of it like thirst: when you get thirsty, you drink water. Just because you get thirsty multiple times throughout the day doesn't mean your life is miserable.

Now, the difference is that water doesn't make you fat, while excess calories can. IMO the key is training your body so you adapt to eating at maintenance. It's possible, I speak from experience. Now when I eat more than enough to maintain 125lbs, my body doesn't get hungry. (Only problem... I want to lose a few more pounds. I'll have to get there and train my body along the way to adapt to my goal weight.)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Hugs!

Bro knows what he's talking about. It changes your hormones. Your ghrelin doesn't peak multiple times during the day like most people's. It just peaks when your body expects food, which is at the beginning of your feeding window.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Wat. I'm never hungry. I struggle to reach my calorie goal most days so I've been eating cookies, pie, and ice cream lately to fill in the gap. I do 20/4 IF so I'm never hungry until dinner time (which is when I eat). I just eat a ton of vegetables, shirataki noodles, and oatmeal with a scoop of whey protein. All of this amounts to 500-600 calories so I'll eat baked goods, ice cream, etc. to bring my total up. You DO NOT need to be hungry to lose weight.

The feelings of hunger is part of the natural feedback your body gives you indicating that it needs something...perhaps your feed back system is very different than mine or you are just doing a fantastic job of ignoring the the hunger feedback that your body generates...either way, good job
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    you need to go eat a pizza or a chocolate cake or whatever you love right now and just enjoy life being fat

This is the only part anyone needs to read.
  • BecomingPremsar
    BecomingPremsar Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I also disagree regarding 'always feeling hunger pangs'. Actually you don't have to feel hunger pangs to lose weight. You just have to make sure that you eat at regular intervals, and that the food you eat has slow-digesting sugars instead of fast ones, and that there's bulk in your food so it's not empty calories. Try to avoid drinking your cals... and instead have whole grains and lots of veggies. You don't have to live with hunger pangs. Your stomach will adjust in size eventually and your liver, bile duct, pancreas etc will also adjust their secretions... so that your body knows when to release those hormones and enzymes and in what amount... then your leptin and grelin situation will get under control. You *do not* have to live with hunger pangs.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    this lifetime of tremendous and continued discipline im talking about does not just apply to the dinner table, it also applies to the exercise and activity levels!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    If you are careful about the types of food that you put into your body, you can eat and feel full or at least satisfied on a calorie deficit. I am practically never over on my calories and rarely feel hungry. No more than the average person (maybe less than the average person) when it's getting close to dinner time and you don't want to spoil dinner with a snack while you are cooking. If you can make some healthy lifestyle changes you don't have to "feel hungry" but you may miss some of your favorite foods while you are still adjusting to your new lifestyle. I still even eat icecream, a little candy and baked goods but I just keep the portions small so that I can enjoy without any negative feelings. :D
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I also disagree regarding 'always feeling hunger pangs'. Actually you don't have to feel hunger pangs to lose weight. You just have to make sure that you eat at regular intervals, and that the food you eat has slow-digesting sugars instead of fast ones, and that there's bulk in your food so it's not empty calories. Try to avoid drinking your cals... and instead have whole grains and lots of veggies. You don't have to live with hunger pangs. Your stomach will adjust in size eventually and your liver, bile duct, pancreas etc will also adjust their secretions... so that your body knows when to release those hormones and enzymes and in what amount... then your leptin and grelin situation will get under control. You *do not* have to live with hunger pangs.

I diasagree...hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place....the denial of food must continue or else the natural you will over eat and you will gain the weight back....this is true because you are here and you use this website to control and monitor your denial of food...
  • withchaco
    Options
    this lifetime of tremendous and continued discipline im talking about does not just apply to the dinner table, it also applies to the exercise and activity levels!
    I used to hate moving. Not just exercise... I'd happily sit at my desk ALL DAY and never go out (except to eat out), and that's exactly what I did almost every day.

Now? I actually enjoy exercise. I'd be seriously unhappy if I were forced to not work out for more than a few days in a row.

People can and do change. Sometimes it's about discipline... Other times, it's about learning to enjoy something different.
  • withchaco
    Options

I diasagree...hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place....the denial of food must continue or else the natural you will over eat and you will gain the weight back....this is true because you are here and you use this website to control and monitor your denial of food...
    Um... are you trolling? Because what you've written here directly contradicts what you wrote in your profile.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I used to hate moving. Not just exercise... I'd happily sit at my desk ALL DAY and never go out (except to eat out), and that's exactly what I did almost every day.

Now? I actually enjoy exercise. I'd be seriously unhappy if I were forced to not work out for more than a few days in a row.

People can and do change. Sometimes it's about discipline... Other times, it's about learning to enjoy something different.

Learning to enjoy something different is key....enjoying your food can place you on a slippery slope back to over eating and being fat...i wish eating food was as meaningless, joyless and automatic of an experience as breathing or my heart beating....then i could focus on finding more joy in other aspects of life
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

Um... are you trolling? Because what you've written here directly contradicts what you wrote in your profile.

ummm....first off no, im not trolling, im heart attack serious...secondly, more clearly explain this contradiction you speak of...