Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I'm currently in a state of weight loss and I only ever have to endure hunger on work days, about an hour before I leave, because I can't take a break to eat something in between lunch and leaving. Otherwise, I eat often enough that I rarely experience feelings of hunger. Usually, it's fruit or almonds in between meals, but I eat chocolate and baked goods, too. I feel like denying yourself everything you like is a recipe for failure, so I don't, and I've done pretty well that way.

Also, eating at the same time every day is important. I've read a couple articles that basically said, even if you're eating enough, if you're used to eating at a certain time and you don't, your brain is going to tell you that you should be eating, even if you're not hungry. My own experience has shown this to be true, at least in my case.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I want to be brutally honest and go on the record stating that these hunger pangs will be a part of your life for the rest of your life if this little experiment is to become a lifestyle change.

:laugh:
    LOL no.

I can't even remember the last time I've felt a hunger pang (over a year ago probably), and I've lost 30lbs. And i used to LOVE feeling them (in my disordered eating days).

If you are feeling HUNGRY you are doing it WRONG.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hunger pangs aren't a necessary part of weight loss. Eat foods with a low calorie density(less calories per volume) such as vegetables, instead of eating high calorie foods. foods loaded with a lot of fat and low in fiber.

The pallers that claim to not feel hunger concern me....are you guys so outta touch with your bodies that you ligitamitly dont feel hunger? i would suggest that if your running a deficit and you dont feel hunger or the subtle, more soft versions of hunger pangs then i would say your feedback system is broken and you might have a medical condition....if not for hunger or the feelings of hunger then how would you know when its time to eat? looking at the clock?
  • carneson3
    Options
    I've been loosing weight pretty slowly over the last 2 years...46 lbs so far. I love white chocolate mochas so instead of cutting them out completely I get it skinny. Can I drink one everyday...no, but I have them when I want them and adjust accordingly for the day. More exercise...different meal choices etc. Where am I going with this. Ah yes! You don't need to starve yourself! You can still have treats! You can eat more than enough food in the day to NOT feel hunger pangs constantly! There are tons of good foods out there that are filling and low calorie or hell high calorie for that matter but better for you than french fries. Anyway...2 years and here I am still happy still drinking my skinny WCM and still loosing weight. Do I need to use self control...ah yea, but 'always feeling hunger pangs'? Ya no. I wouldn't be able to maintain for such a long time if I was.

'hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place' IMO completely WRONG. People eat for all sorts of reasons that vary rarely have anything to do with hunger. Mine would most likely be boredom and this crazy feeling that I need to snack in front of the stinking TV! That later has been a hard HABIT to break.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I've been intermittently fasting since january...I dont get hunger pangs anymore.

Hugs!

Bro knows what he's talking about. It changes your hormones. Your ghrelin doesn't peak multiple times during the day like most people's. It just peaks when your body expects food, which is at the beginning of your feeding window.

Holy ****!
    Rockville?
    Were neighbors!

Truth is I get hungry at 2, 6 and 9pm.
    Thats it.

Easy.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    And honestly, I avoided trying to lose weight because for the longest time, the thought of having to restrict what I ate and "go on a diet" forever terrified me. I couldn't accept that I had to eat rice cakes and broth and raw carrots for the rest of my life in order to "get skinny". Because I thought that was the only way to reach that goal

And then I learned.

I learned that I can still eat the things I like. And that my goal isn't just to get skinny, it's to get healthy and strong in body and mind. I accepted the fact that I will always struggle with food and my weight for the rest of my life, and at times it will be a DAMN struggle, and at times it will be easier. That's just how it is.
  • ursulamaxwell
    Options
    I tend to agree. An instructor at my gym (who is a bit of a maniac - but an awesome trainer nonetheless) says that in order to get fitter and stronger, you have to learn to be uncomfortable and be okay with it. I think, that for me, it has been the same for the hunger. For the first 6 weeks I was always hungry. And it gradually improved, and now I am seldom hungry. And when I am, it is manageable. Your body does adjust. I hated feeling hungry for that first 6 weeks. I am far more capable of tolerating discomfort associated with exercise, than discomfort associated with hunger.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10 lbs when I was running a deficit far larger than I should've been (trying to eat 1200 calories per day and not eat my workout calories), and yes, I was starving, miserable, lethargic, and as a result, was prone to binge eating when I got stressed out. I was also physically exhausted and close to passing out trying to do cardio a few times. When I figured out I could eat 500 more calories per day, still lose, and not be hungry, I lost 32 more. My binges disappeared, and my fitness improved dramatically. More importantly, I had the control over my eating habits I never had before which has carried into my pregnancy and will carry into my post-partum weight loss as well. Learning how to do this made weight loss and fitness much easier too. It became a positive spiral in the right direction.

I fill my day with good-quality fiber-rich food with a healthy amount of fats and protein, and I don't get hungry anymore. It's not because I'm broken. It's because I figured out how to eat well and have a healthy relationship with food and my body.
  • Natihilator
    Options
    The pallers that claim to not feel hunger concern me....are you guys so outta touch with your bodies that you ligitamitly dont feel hunger? i would suggest that if your running a deficit and you dont feel hunger or the subtle, more soft versions of hunger pangs then i would say your feedback system is broken and you might have a medical condition....if not for hunger or the feelings of hunger then how would you know when its time to eat? looking at the clock?

Tell us more, doctor.

Hunger pangs DO NOT equal regular hunger. Hunger pangs are painful and powerful. You don't need to feel pain to know that your body needs food. How do you not know this?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I've been intermittently fasting since january...I dont get hunger pangs anymore.

Hugs!

^^^^^ This - have not had a hunger pang in a year, and I fast 16 hours a day!!!
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I disagree. I'm currently in a state of weight loss and I only ever have to endure hunger on work days, about an hour before I leave, because I can't take a break to eat something in between lunch and leaving. Otherwise, I eat often enough that I rarely experience feelings of hunger. Usually, it's fruit or almonds in between meals, but I eat chocolate and baked goods, too. I feel like denying yourself everything you like is a recipe for failure, so I don't, and I've done pretty well that way.

Also, eating at the same time every day is important. I've read a couple articles that basically said, even if you're eating enough, if you're used to eating at a certain time and you don't, your brain is going to tell you that you should be eating, even if you're not hungry. My own experience has shown this to be true, at least in my case.

If you rarely feel hunger even during this peroid of deficit i must assume you almost never felt hunger when you were gaining all the weight your currently trying to lose, so if this is all true, if not hunger, then what caused you to over eat in the first place and gain weight?
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Disagree. And I feel you're doing a disservice by basically telling people they need to feel crappy (or accept feeling crappy) in order to be thin/healthy or give up and be fat. You WILL feel pangs when you are eating inappropriately for YOU. I say that because once I realized what worked for me, I no longer get pangs. For me that means eating a paleo/primal diet with intermittent fasting and was surprised and delighted to realize hunger pangs don't exist the same way with that method of eating. Because I don't have big insulin spikes and crashes, I can easily do 24 hour fasts. I didn't have to "work up to it." I just decided one day, I'm not eating until dinner tomorrow night. That first day the experience was exactly like it still is to this day. Generally about 19 hours in, I feel a little "nudge", pretty much saying "you could eat if you want...but no biggie if you can't." It goes away easily and is so quiet I won't notice if I'm doing anything to occupy myself. I have great energy (better than I ever did pre-IF with frequent "healthy" meals.) I do my workouts in this same fasted state. I'm fast and strong and feel great. When I get home between 5-6 pm, I'll eat dinner. I don't feel an urge to eat more or gorge since I haven't eaten all day. I love my dinner, it's satisfying and satiating and I eat a normal amount. Then I'm usually done until lunch the next day (I mostly alternate 18/6 with 24 hour fasts.) It's very liberating to not have food be on your mind constantly and to not be a prisoner to pangs.

Fasting is a method of denying food, like you mention, but it's different. I'm not thinking about food all the time, so I don't have periods of thinking about food (pangs) and then having to deny myself.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think if you spread your calories over the day and eat protein at every meal, it is possible to be satisfied at a maintenance phase. You can also retrain your body to enjoy healthy foods.

But yes, maintaining a low weight requires a lot of small, decent choices each day.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    science.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Hunger pangs aren't a necessary part of weight loss. Eat foods with a low calorie density(less calories per volume) such as vegetables, instead of eating high calorie foods. foods loaded with a lot of fat and low in fiber.

You must be joking - I am more in touch with my body, and the signals it gives me than I have been for 50 years - for the first time ever I actually understand - and listen to my body.....being in balance, physically, and mentally is a very powerful place to be.
    Every person is different - for many like myself IF makes perfect sense - and my body does not "complain" that is hungry - I feed it regularly - and I feed it well - so it does not have to go into "panic" - ever.... and part of the "secret" for me is to ensure I eat sufficient protein at every meal....

And to your question - yes - I feed my body by the clock - 11am, 3pm and 7pm - give or take an hour each way...
  • Natihilator
    Options
    I'm pretty certain now that the OP is trolling. I just hope no one takes their advice seriously...
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I lost my first 10 lbs when I was running a deficit far larger than I should've been (trying to eat 1200 calories per day and not eat my workout calories), and yes, I was starving, miserable, lethargic, and as a result, was prone to binge eating when I got stressed out. I was also physically exhausted and close to passing out trying to do cardio a few times. When I figured out I could eat 500 more calories per day, still lose, and not be hungry, I lost 32 more. My binges disappeared, and my fitness improved dramatically. More importantly, I had the control over my eating habits I never had before which has carried into my pregnancy and will carry into my post-partum weight loss as well. Learning how to do this made weight loss and fitness much easier too. It became a positive spiral in the right direction.

I fill my day with good-quality fiber-rich food with a healthy amount of fats and protein, and I don't get hungry anymore. It's not because I'm broken. It's because I figured out how to eat well and have a healthy relationship with food and my body.

The food suggestions in this post and another post were not requested but are very good advice....high fiber and low calorie high volume foods like veggies reduce the feeling of hunger and my college level nutrition textbook agrees...Understanding nutrition ninth edition.....good advice gang which is what i do and have been doing....
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Question: is the experienced pal in question CaliforniaGirl? Sounds like her...
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I'm pretty certain now that the OP is trolling. I just hope no one takes their advice seriously...

please contribute to the forum in a meaningful way or post somewhere else....your trolling comment is off topic and untrue, so please post somewhere else
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    For me, eating when I wasn't in the least bit hungry made me fat.