Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You are correct, you never did say binge or starve, but I'm pretty sure calling "hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes" is describing "starving". The same as you saying being gluttonous and eating everything you want whenever you want is not a whole lot different than "bingeing".

Definitions:

starve (stɑːv)

— vb (foll by of or for ) (foll by into )
    1. to die or cause to die from lack of food
    2. to deprive (a person or animal) or (of a person, etc) to be deprived of food
    3. informal ( intr ) to be very hungry

Yes, one may not be dying from lack of food, but the descriptions you gave apply to #s 2 and 3

binge (bɪndʒ)

— n
    1. a bout of excessive eating or drinking
    2. excessive indulgence in anything

— vb , binges , bingeing , binging , binged

gluttony (ˈɡlʌtənɪ)

— n
    the act or practice of eating to excess

I'm pretty sure that both definitions of binge are also the same as living a life of gluttony.

After reading one of your other most recent posts where you described how you lost a lot of weight very quickly, you do seem to be promoting a binge-eating or binge-purge lifestyle. If you truly regularly eat 2000-4000 calories per day and are regularly feeling agonizing hungry, that tells me you are probably bingeing and eating those calories all at one time then purging yourself by exercise or "starving" yourself.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hunger pangs are a breeze, compared to the disgust and pain I feel when I can't easily fit into my pants.

I'll take hunger pangs ANYDAY!!!!

This person has made the choice, this person has adamitly stood up and said, "i want my NSV's over any amount or type of food"...this person is fully aware of the road ahead and has chosen....other weaker people might choose the other route and remain/return to being fat....

And this person gets the idea you might be a little delusional due to a lifetime of hunger pangs.....What are you - a cheerleader for hungry people?:bigsmile: :drinker:

Lol..don't get it twisted. This person...ME...believes that it's high time I look at my *kitten* in the mirror, and say "Hey, Fatty..you're outta here!!"

I have tried for years to lose weight..but I couldn't, because I was always feeding my grumbling stomach. My stomach would grumble even 30 minutes after eating. Wtf??!!

I'm losing weight now..because I realize that my stomach is a liar. And I have learned to ignore the grumbling, like I ignore people asking me for money. Once people realize I'm stingey..they stop askin for money. Likewise..once the stomach realize I'm stingey..It'll stop buggin my *kitten* for food.

Ican look at chocolate cake now..and whisper to it "F you, you lyin sacka *kitten*..you've told me for YEARS that one piece couldn't hurt....and NOW look at my *kitten*!!"

So yeah, I giggle a little now when my stomach growls....and say "Suck it up, Biotch..and deal with it!!"

Hey..sometimes you have to just be a meanie. If I wanna lose weight, I have to learn to sacrifice..and deal with a few minutes of growling. Fat is possessive....the only way to break away from it..is to beat the crap out of it.

I'm only mean to fat..other than that, I'm as sweet as pie.

^ THAT, Well stated
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I agree. I think because I'm not overweight, but still trying to lose some pounds, it makes it a little more difficult because my calorie intake keeps getting lower as I try to bust through these plateaus in my weight loss. I feel like, ever since I've reached a weight that is considered "healthy" according to BMI, I started experiencing the pangs. Before, when I was overweight and changing my eating habits, I never felt them. It was a strange thing.

Good post :flowerforyou:

Thank you
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I do not believe this is true at all. Since March, I have lost 105 pounds and I do not have constant hunger pangs. If I am truly hungry, I eat. I eat a LOT of food, it is just much healthier, lower calorie food than I was eating before. I still get the amount of food that I need to be healthy and full.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    You are correct, you never did say binge or starve, but I'm pretty sure calling "hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes" is describing "starving". The same as you saying being gluttonous and eating everything you want whenever you want is not a whole lot different than "bingeing".

Definitions:

starve (stɑːv)

Yes, one may not be dying from lack of food, but the descriptions you gave apply to #s 2 and 3

binge (bɪndʒ)

— n

gluttony (ˈɡlʌtənɪ)

— n

I'm pretty sure that both definitions of binge are also the same as living a life of gluttony.

After reading one of your other most recent posts where you described how you lost a lot of weight very quickly, you do seem to be promoting a binge-eating or binge-purge lifestyle. If you truly regularly eat 2000-4000 calories per day and are regularly feeling agonizing hungry, that tells me you are probably bingeing and eating those calories all at one time then purging yourself by exercise or "starving" yourself.

Well, when i defined pang and hunger pang thoes were not my words thoes were the defionitions i found on the first 10 hits google gave me....i dont mean to imply i feel all thoes things half of the time, just some of them...

as far as purge goes, well i dont do that, so i have nothing to say about it

as far as gluttony goes, i will tend to eat something i know i shouldnt eat in excess once a week or less
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I do not believe this is true at all. Since March, I have lost 105 pounds and I do not have constant hunger pangs. If I am truly hungry, I eat. I eat a LOT of food, it is just much healthier, lower calorie food than I was eating before. I still get the amount of food that I need to be healthy and full.

I guess you must be doing it wrong too.
  • deb3129
    Options

Dang it, I thought I was doing so well!!! I will try hard to be more miserable!!!
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I dod not say "Constant hunger" any where in this forum....i said "Half the time for the rest of your life"
  • sjohnny
    Options

Dang it, I thought I was doing so well!!! I will try hard to be more miserable!!!
    It's the only way to have sustainable weight loss. Misery. Forever.
  • deb3129
    Options

sigh.......
  • sjohnny
    Options

sigh.......

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hunger pangs are a breeze, compared to the disgust and pain I feel when I can't easily fit into my pants.

This person has made the choice, this person has adamitly stood up and said, "i want my NSV's over any amount or type of food"...this person is fully aware of the road ahead and has chosen....other weaker people might choose the other route and remain/return to being fat....

Wait, I'm so confused. You think you have to be hungry to lose weight and keep it off? Or not eat anything bad at all to have NSVs or maintain a healthy weight? My mom is the healthiest 40 year old I know, she has BF% around 20%, and has maintained that her whole life. She will eat an entire bag of peanut butter m&ms in one sitting. Guess what, she doesn't gain weight.

I didn't get fat beacuse I ate whenever I was hungry. I gained weight in combination from overeating (if you eat too fast you eat too much), emotional eating, and eating the wrong things 100% of the time. I firmly believe it's ok to eat something "bad" once in a while, and it won't have lasting negative effect. My diet is not "clean" and it never will be 100%. But I'm cognizant of my choices now and that's what makes the difference.

Maybe that doesn't work for you. And you know what, that's great. But telling people that if they aren't hungry they either won't lose or won't maintain is wrong and mean. Enough people on here are struggling with what to do and feeling down on themselves, you don't need to fuel that with your crazy talk.

ETA: I resent the implication that I am weak for eating when I am hungry. I am a nearly 6' woman who is increasingly more active every day. I eat 1700 calories AT LEAST a day. I just started lifting and need the fuel. To ignore hunger is to backtrack.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

sigh.......

Just cause one would feel these feelings of hunger does not mean they need to be miserable...some people in this forum expressed they enjoy and look foward to the feelings of hunger
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

Wait, I'm so confused. You think you have to be hungry to lose weight and keep it off? Or not eat anything bad at all to have NSVs or maintain a healthy weight? My mom is the healthiest 40 year old I know, she has BF% around 20%, and has maintained that her whole life. She will eat an entire bag of peanut butter m&ms in one sitting. Guess what, she doesn't gain weight.

I didn't get fat beacuse I ate whenever I was hungry. I gained weight in combination from overeating (if you eat too fast you eat too much), emotional eating, and eating the wrong things 100% of the time. I firmly believe it's ok to eat something "bad" once in a while, and it won't have lasting negative effect. My diet is not "clean" and it never will be 100%. But I'm cognizant of my choices now and that's what makes the difference.

Maybe that doesn't work for you. And you know what, that's great. But telling people that if they aren't hungry they either won't lose or won't maintain is wrong and mean. Enough people on here are struggling with what to do and feeling down on themselves, you don't need to fuel that with your crazy talk.

ETA: I resent the implication that I am weak for eating when I am hungry. I am a nearly 6' woman who is increasingly more active every day. I eat 1700 calories AT LEAST a day. I just started lifting and need the fuel. To ignore hunger is to backtrack.

I wont sugar coat anything for anyone, including bran flakes. :)
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Hunger pangs aren't a necessary part of weight loss. Eat foods with a low calorie density(less calories per volume) such as vegetables, instead of eating high calorie foods. foods loaded with a lot of fat and low in fiber.

QFT

I have experienced hunger pangs only very rarely over the past 8 months. And it's always been because of poor food choices that day.

I find now that I can't eat nearly as much at one sitting, and end up having a couple of small snacks (afternoon, and evening). I'm eating at a reasonable deficit, averaging approx 0.9 lbs loss per week, and I feel good. If I was experiencing hunger pangs every day, there would be something wrong with how I'm doing this.
  • debdelilah
    Options
    When you run a calorie deficit you are actually denying your body what its asking for...during this period of denial it would be completely normal to feel hunger....
    I want to be brutally honest and go on the record stating that these hunger pangs will be a part of your life for the rest of your life if this little experiment is to become a lifestyle change....let me explain....at any given moment (a snapshot in time if you will) you are either in a state of weight gain or weight loss, there is no in between! in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....

Why would you be either in a state of weight loss or weight gain, without anything in between? Why would you run a calorie deficit when you are maintaining your weight?

2000 calories a day...moderate exercise...a normal lifestyle. That's what you can have after you lose or at any point! If you get weary of a deficit, you can stop eating at a deficit and just eat to maintain - you WON'T regain, you won't waste your effort, and you can pick up whenever you are ready. :) Relax - weight loss doesn't have to be a struggle. And some people may find that when they stop trying so hard to lose so quickly, that they are losing anyway eating 400 calories more a day.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Definitions:

starve (stɑːv)

binge (bɪndʒ)

— n

gluttony (ˈɡlʌtənɪ)

— n

Well, when i defined pang and hunger pang thoes were not my words thoes were the defionitions i found on the first 10 hits google gave me....i dont mean to imply i feel all thoes things half of the time, just some of them...

as far as purge goes, well i dont do that, so i have nothing to say about it

as far as gluttony goes, i will tend to eat something i know i shouldnt eat in excess once a week or less

I'm pretty sure that "I would run up stairs, straight to the fridge and eat those home grown concord grapes...like several cups of grapes...I would then move to the pineapple on the table and consume at least half of it...then I would eat a big can of Swanson canned chicken with black pepper all over it, all while a piece of cod (fish) was being microwaved and if I had any room left in my belly I would have to pick between some cantaloupe or a sandwich with my 25 calorie an ounce turkey but with a triple serving size....all of this would be about 800ish calories" would indicate a binge. So you binge on "healthy" stuff. It's still a binge, and having a binge and then depriving yourself of food until you experience severe enough hunger pains on a regular basis indicates to me that you may need professional help. It's not normal to feel like you have to feel hunger pains even half of your life in order to maintain a healthy weight.

As I said before, most children manage to not live in a binge/starve cycle and maintain their weights. That's because most of us are born with the ability to eat when we're hungry and stop when we're not hungry any longer. We tend to lose this ability as we get older and that's where our weight problems begin. They are made worse by things like emotional eating or binge eating or even just portion distortion. A normal, healthy, human adult who has never had a weight problem or emotional eating problem does not experience hunger pains of any type on a regular basis (let alone half of their life). They get hungry (different from having a *pain*), they eat what they want and they leave what they don't need. I've watched naturally skinny friends eat a small plate of salad and 5 bites of fettucine alfredo and throw the rest out because they weren't hungry any longer. They don't suffer and they enjoy their food.

Just because you cannot seem to strike a balance between gluttony and satisfaction, it doesn't mean that most or even half of the people trying to lose weight will have this problem. I'm sorry for you that you aren't able to improve your relationship with food enough to not have to binge and/or go hungry.
  • delacruz_courtney
    Options
    It sounds like you have an eating disorder :(. I hope you aren't depriving your body of needed nutrients (you don't have to eat cake and pizza; but if you're hungry, you need to eat.)
  • csuchon4
    Options
    Just because you feel hunger pangs now does not mean you will for the rest of your life. You'll feel them normally as you should when you get to your target weight but they will in no way be as intense as they are when you are restricting food during weight loss! Hunger pangs are the way your body lets you know you need fuel to survive.

BTW, just because someone eats chcolate, candy, pizaa, etc... doesn't mean they are fat. I mean, come on, it's not TOTALLY about what you eat it's also about HOW MUCH. Jeez, whatever happened to moderation???

I still eat these things and stay within my calorie goal. To be honest everyone's post I have read so far on this thread is a little shocking to me. Alot of people need to listen to what they are saying because it does not sound good--it sounds a little like starvation.

WOW PEOPLE! Remember, weight is not everything--be healthy is the main thing!!! YOLO