Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As much as I think the OP is trolling, it does bring up a slightly worrying subject for me! There seems to be a lot of people that never seem hungry? I eat a high protein diet, and eat at regular intervals and I still get hungry. I kinda thought it was natural to feel hungry? Maybe I'm just a fat little piggy or have less will power than the rest of you I don't know?

Its completely natural to feel hunger from time to time and in various levels of intensity....hunger is a natural feed back system that tells the mind its time for nurishment....with out hunger, malnurishment would likely be common....without the feeling of hunger we as a species would likely be extinct!

Do you know anything about the hormones ghrelin and leptin?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm with you to a certain point - learning that's it's OK to feel hungry when it's time to eat isn't necessarily a bad thing - as opposed to stuffing myself all the time so I never have a chance to feel hungry.
    But, I don't feel hungry all the time, and I don't wait until I feel hungry to eat - I aim to eat a range of healthy meals on a regular basis so I'm not often hungry. I don't think hunger is a good tool for many of us who have dieted for so many years that we have no clue about what our bodies really need.

But, I really don't like the concept that you have to SUFFER, the list of words you put in the original post included "torture, remorse, ache, spasm, gnawing" etc. Feeling hungry is natural - feeling so hungry that "you ache, it's torture, makes you feel remorseful when you eat" sounds more like developing an eating disorder to me.
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Pretty spot on advice...except for the TV....i accomplish most of my exercise while either watching/listening to TV or playing XBOX 360 Call of Duty Modern warfare 3.....i incorporate exercise into my favorite activities....

Excuse me?

I will awnser any question you have but you must be more specific.

What exactly do you do as exercise while playing video games or watching TV?

Anything that fits in a living room!....while TV it might be jumping jacks, leg jacks, situps, crunches, planks, burpees, pushups, chest flys run in place, butt kicks, high kicks, walking,...the list goes on and on....

While playing XBOX i usually march in place or do squats with he controller behind my back, then during the frequent game intermissions that occur every minute or so and can last as long as 35 seconds i use a 40lb dumbell and do lat pull ups, over head presses, situps, crunches, squats, bicep curls, side abs, shoulder shrugs, strectching, high kicks, calf raises or what ever fits in the living room and comes to mind....these workouts fly by and last between 40 minutes and 3 hours...
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    As much as I think the OP is trolling, it does bring up a slightly worrying subject for me! There seems to be a lot of people that never seem hungry? I eat a high protein diet, and eat at regular intervals and I still get hungry. I kinda thought it was natural to feel hungry? Maybe I'm just a fat little piggy or have less will power than the rest of you I don't know?

What is your daily calorie intake?

i decided my equation for weight maintenence was approximatly 1900 + .5(Exercise Calories) = Calories i should consume per day....i have not logged food for over a month now but my intake is somewhere between 2000 and 4000 a day as i try to maintain....my exercise is usually above 1000 cals daily and can exceed 2000 cals several times a week....
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    i should add that my non-traditional exercises are tracked and calculated using a polar FT7 Heart rate monitor and i always subtract 1.5 calories per minute of exercise performed to account for BRM (BMR = the calories i would have burned if i was just sitting on the couch)
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

Its completely natural to feel hunger from time to time and in various levels of intensity....hunger is a natural feed back system that tells the mind its time for nurishment....with out hunger, malnurishment would likely be common....without the feeling of hunger we as a species would likely be extinct!

Tell we what you know about them, im here to learn too....
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    83lbs down... Eat 1400...120g protein, 120g carbs, 50g fat, lots of fresh vegetables and fiber and it's very very rare I feel hungry... Really disagree with your post. If you eat the right things you don't need to be hungry... This lifestyle change doesn't have to be all the things you just made it out to be x
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    83lbs down... Eat 1400...120g protein, 120g carbs, 50g fat, lots of fresh vegetables and fiber and it's very very rare I feel hungry... Really disagree with your post. If you eat the right things you don't need to be hungry... This lifestyle change doesn't have to be all the things you just made it out to be x

So if your not hungry on this reduced calorie diet, then what caused you to over eat so drastically in the past if you seem to be nearly unable to sense hunger?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

To be perfectly honest, the tone of your posts was that already now everything and are preaching to every one on what they should be doing. If you have never heard of these hormones, then the basis of your post is severely lacking in some fundamentals.

They are the hormones that regulate appetite. In times of under eating they get out of whack and actually stop sending hunger signals - so the theory about hunger being a feedback telling the mind its time for nourishment is not necessarily correct Often it is the case of the mind telling the body it is not hungry even though it does need nourishment. I suggest you do research on them as well as look up the hormone Peptide YY
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i decided my equation for weight maintenence was approximatly 1900 + .5(Exercise Calories) = Calories i should consume per day....i have not logged food for over a month now but my intake is somewhere between 2000 and 4000 a day as i try to maintain....my exercise is usually above 1000 cals daily and can exceed 2000 cals several times a week....

You do know that over-training can be hard on the body and counter-productive don't you ? Also, see my comment about looking up the hormone Peptide YY above.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

To be perfectly honest, the tone of your posts was that already now everything and are preaching to every one on what they should be doing. If you have never heard of these hormones, then the basis of your post is severely lacking in some fundamentals.

They are the hormones that regulate appetite. In times of under eating they get out of whack and actually stop sending hunger signals - so the theory about hunger being a feedback telling the mind its time for nourishment is not necessarily correct Often it is the case of the mind telling the body it is not hungry even though it does need nourishment. I suggest you do research on them as well as look up the hormone Peptide YY

i promise i will read up on thoes terms....in the mean time, if what you say is true then why do i feel so hungry during times of under eating?
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

You do know that over-training can be hard on the body and counter-productive don't you ? Also, see my comment about looking up the hormone Peptide YY above.

i do take days off training and i dont think im over training....since you brought it up, how would i know if i was over training? teach me...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i promise i will read up on thoes terms....in the mean time, if what you say is true then why do i feel so hungry during times of under eating?

It CAN cause this - not always. Possibly you are not eating the right food to make you satiated. Possibly you are just not eating enough so the actual hunger is strong enough not to be over-ridden by the hormones. Now, while weight loss itself is basically the same concept for everyone, different people react differently from a hormonal, energy, strength etc etc perspective.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

As i previously stated, none of this was designed to be advice or intructions of any sort....this was mearly a warning....some people might actually have a happier more enjoyable life eating whatever they want in whatever quantity they want and be overweight....i know plenty of jolly fat and likeable people with healthy self esteem....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

i do take days off training and i dont think im over training....since you brought it up, how would i know if i was over training? teach me...

I am getting the impression you are trolling now. If so,,,,well played.

ETA: put it this way - exercising regularly burning 1,000 - 2,000 calories is over-training.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

As i previously stated, none of this was designed to be advice or intructions of any sort....this was mearly a warning....some people might actually have a happier more enjoyable life eating whatever they want in whatever quantity they want and be overweight....i know plenty of jolly fat and likeable people with healthy self esteem....

It was patronizing and quite frankly rather rude.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Generally between 1700-2000 depending on how much exercise I do. I'm presuming the question was directed at me as you quoted my post. I see the OP took it as his though ;-) Seriously, sometimes at work (I eat at 11am and work through till 4pm so no food till after I finish work) I am ravounous. I always eat protein before work, usually a tin of tuna, chicken or something similar. I drink loads as well, well over 2 litres of water a day. I just think i'm a freak of nature.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

It CAN cause this - not always. Possibly you are not eating the right food to make you satiated. Possibly you are just not eating enough so the actual hunger is strong enough not to be over-ridden by the hormones. Now, while weight loss itself is basically the same concept for everyone, different people react differently from a hormonal, energy, strength etc etc perspective.

your likely correct, not everyone is like me, plenty of testimony to that in this post in the form of poeple that claim to not be hungry even during 16 and 24 hour fasting...
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

I am getting the impression you are trolling now. If so,,,,well played.

ETA: put it this way - exercising regularly burning 1,000 - 2,000 calories is over-training.

please define over training in more detail....marathon runners regularly train by running more than 10 miles at a time, i garentee they are burning over 1000 cals during most of these training sessions....
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I'm currently in a state of weight loss and I only ever have to endure hunger on work days, about an hour before I leave, because I can't take a break to eat something in between lunch and leaving. Otherwise, I eat often enough that I rarely experience feelings of hunger. Usually, it's fruit or almonds in between meals, but I eat chocolate and baked goods, too. I feel like denying yourself everything you like is a recipe for failure, so I don't, and I've done pretty well that way.

Also, eating at the same time every day is important. I've read a couple articles that basically said, even if you're eating enough, if you're used to eating at a certain time and you don't, your brain is going to tell you that you should be eating, even if you're not hungry. My own experience has shown this to be true, at least in my case.

If you rarely feel hunger even during this peroid of deficit i must assume you almost never felt hunger when you were gaining all the weight your currently trying to lose, so if this is all true, if not hunger, then what caused you to over eat in the first place and gain weight?

You'd be assuming wrong. There's a reason I said "currently". Before, I ate more calorie-dense foods. I also ate just to eat and ate well past feeling full.