Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• hpsNcrvs
    Options
    Well..in my own experience..I have found that the hunger pangs are sounds my fat *kitten* stomach makes to try and trick me into eating. Guess what? When I ignore the grumbling sounds and hunger pangs...the hunger goes away. They usually go away for an hour or two, and then return...like clockwork. My stomach thinks I'm still dumb. It hasn't realized that I've finally "caught on" to what its been doin.

We go round and round..maybe 3 times...and THEN, I'll eat somethin. But then , I'm tricking my stomach into thinking I'm about to feast....but I only eat a little bit.

Haaaa,stomach...who's dumb now?

Ignore the pangs and grumbling...that's the sound fat cells make when they begin to shrink.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Wow the air in this room is thick.

I don't know what to think.

If the air would go ahead and be miserable with its hunger pangs it wouldnt' be so thick.
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options
    Hunger pangs are a breeze, compared to the disgust and pain I feel when I can't easily fit into my pants.

I'll take hunger pangs ANYDAY!!!!
  • DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Um...well...I went from eating like a little woman pig (3,000 to 4,000 calories a day) to MFP's goal for me to lose 1 pound per week (1360 calories). In that time I definitely experienced some hunger pangs. I adjusted though. As I got closer to my goal I upped my calories to 1600. I have not been feeling well most of this year, so I decided to take a break from being at a deficit for a while. So I have been maintaining my weight since June. Due to the fact that I actually did make lifestyle changes, the 1800 calories a day I am now alloted is more than enough most days and I very rarely have hunger pangs unless I've just gone too long without eating. I in NO WAY feel deprived at 1800 calories. I am not sure what you are trying to do here but it sounds like you are trying to scare people into thinking they will have to go the rest of their lives feeling like crap and starving with hunger pangs. Are you trying to make people give up?

its only a warning....some people might just be happier eating whatever they want in whatever portions they want rather than enduring some hunger and food denial for half the rest of thier life....for some people all the NSV's in the world are not worth forgoing 3 peices of chocolate cake or half a large pizza....
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    I didnt say "always" i said "Half of the time"
    And I thought it was pretty clear that you were talking about the 'half of your time' where you were losing weight - as you also said you can only be gaining or losing weight.

Why don't you have a read through your initial post again? :)
    I want to be brutally honest and go on the record stating that these hunger pangs will be a part of your life for the rest of your life if this little experiment is to become a lifestyle change....let me explain....at any given moment (a snapshot in time if you will) you are either in a state of weight gain or weight loss, there is no in between! in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....now you need to ask yourself if your tough enough and disciplined enough to endure the anguish, the pain, the constant denial, the wrenching of your stomach, the aching, the emotional distress, for approximately HALF of the rest of your life??? you will be denying yourself what you really want to eat for the rest of your life, I know this is true because the "normal old you" the “you” in your natural state got you fat and rarely if ever denied yourself food (does not apply to people on mfp that are trying to gain weight)....only the continued denial of the foods you want in the quantities you want them will allow to reach your weight/fitness goals and then only a very similar denial of foods will allow you to maintain your weight/fitness goals once they are attained....if you’re not willing to accept this reality then you need to go eat a pizza or a chocolate cake or whatever you love right now and just enjoy life being fat…

in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....now you need to ask yourself if your tough enough and disciplined enough to endure the anguish, the pain, the constant denial, the wrenching of your stomach, the aching, the emotional distress, for approximately HALF of the rest of your life???

i think that makes the issue of "half" more clear
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    When you run a calorie deficit you are actually denying your body what its asking for...during this period of denial it would be completely normal to feel hunger....with this in mind I looked up the word Pang and Hunger Pang....it’s these hunger pangs or feelings that you must overcome, through discipline, in order to lose those unwanted pounds.....so these are the words that define/describe "pang" or "hunger pang" - twinge, ache, throb, prick, stab, a sudden feeling of mental or emotional distress or longing: a pang of remorse; a pang of desire, a sudden, brief, sharp pain or physical sensation; spasm: hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes, A sudden sharp feeling of emotional distress, distress acutely, pain, stab, sting, stitch, ache, wrench, prick, spasm, twinge, throe, gnawing, pains in the abdominal region which occur in the early stages of hunger or fasting and are correlated with contractions of the empty stomach or intestines

All of the above words are negative or bad...food stops the pangs and thus eliminating the negative/bad feelings....these negative/bad feelings must be voluntarily subjected/inflicted towards yourself in order to attain your weight loss goals....to endure these bad feelings and push through them and attain your goals, you all need to toughen up and stop being sissys.....if you’re not feeling these negative feelings/bad feeling you are likely not losing weight and likely not working towards your goals and you are likely a sissy (does not apply to mfpallers that are trying to gain weight)....toughen up and reach your goals sooner

I want to be brutally honest and go on the record stating that these hunger pangs will be a part of your life for the rest of your life if this little experiment is to become a lifestyle change....let me explain....at any given moment (a snapshot in time if you will) you are either in a state of weight gain or weight loss, there is no in between! in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....now you need to ask yourself if your tough enough and disciplined enough to endure the anguish, the pain, the constant denial, the wrenching of your stomach, the aching, the emotional distress, for approximately HALF of the rest of your life??? you will be denying yourself what you really want to eat for the rest of your life, I know this is true because the "normal old you" the “you” in your natural state got you fat and rarely if ever denied yourself food (does not apply to people on mfp that are trying to gain weight)....only the continued denial of the foods you want in the quantities you want them will allow to reach your weight/fitness goals and then only a very similar denial of foods will allow you to maintain your weight/fitness goals once they are attained....if you’re not willing to accept this reality then you need to go eat a pizza or a chocolate cake or whatever you love right now and just enjoy life being fat…
    Otherwise prepare for a lifetime of tremendous and continued discipline…
    Agree? Disagree? Why?

I think what you say applies to many people, although it's not quite as bad as all that. If you want to stay trim, you refine your goals and outlook and accept that satisfying every food craving can't be your priority. For people who succeed, feeling strong, good, and healthy is worth it. They try to be around people with similar values.

Unfortunately, you may be criticized as being insufficiently "supportive." Some people don't want the truth, despite what they say.

Yes, this post was not designed to be supportive, it was designed to help people realize and choose what they really want....let them choose between a life of gluttony or a life of denial of food they would normally eat just to be fit and have thoes NSV moments......this post was a warning, this is a life long commitment or else you will be fat again....
  • sjohnny
    Options
    in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....now you need to ask yourself if your tough enough and disciplined enough to endure the anguish, the pain, the constant denial, the wrenching of your stomach, the aching, the emotional distress, for approximately HALF of the rest of your life???

i think that makes the issue of "half" more clear

OH THE FCKING HUMANITY!!!!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The idea that you always have to be hungry to lose or maintain weight is 100% absolutely unequivocally absurd.
    I didnt say "always" i said "Half of the time"

Even half the time is utter rubbish. If you are hungry often, it is a GREAT indicator that you are not eating an appropriate diet.

Talk like this serves only to discourage others because they think you're right. They have this idea that to be skinny, you must be starving for food and that satiety means obesity. Again, complete nonsense.

Eating too many calories gets you fat, not eating when hungry. Really, the best way to ensure weight loss and even maintenance is to eat before you are hungry and to stop before you are full.

SO True.... Losing 60lbs without ever being hungry (exept when dinner was late...) and maintaining for three years again without ever being hungry.... And I got fat because I ate too much - not because I was ever hungry....
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Well..in my own experience..I have found that the hunger pangs are sounds my fat *kitten* stomach makes to try and trick me into eating. Guess what? When I ignore the grumbling sounds and hunger pangs...the hunger goes away. They usually go away for an hour or two, and then return...like clockwork. My stomach thinks I'm still dumb. It hasn't realized that I've finally "caught on" to what its been doin.

We go round and round..maybe 3 times...and THEN, I'll eat somethin. But then , I'm tricking my stomach into thinking I'm about to feast....but I only eat a little bit.

Haaaa,stomach...who's dumb now?

Ignore the pangs and grumbling...that's the sound fat cells make when they begin to shrink.

^ That, Funny, witty, and spot on.
  • sjohnny
    Options

SO True.... Losing 60lbs without ever being hungry (exept when dinner was late...) and maintaining for three years again without ever being hungry.... And I got fat because I ate too much - not because I was ever hungry....

There's obviously something wrong with you. If you haven't suffered and b!tched and moaned for half your life you haven't lost weight and won't maintain it.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    Hunger pangs are a breeze, compared to the disgust and pain I feel when I can't easily fit into my pants.

This person has made the choice, this person has adamitly stood up and said, "i want my NSV's over any amount or type of food"...this person is fully aware of the road ahead and has chosen....other weaker people might choose the other route and remain/return to being fat....
  • astrampe
    Options

There's obviously something wrong with you. If you haven't suffered and b!tched and moaned for half your life you haven't lost weight and won't maintain it.

Damn....:sad: I'll just have to go and eat a pizza or two for old times sake and then fast untill I can ***** and moan enough to trigger some fat loss!! :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • astrampe
    Options

This person has made the choice, this person has adamitly stood up and said, "i want my NSV's over any amount or type of food"...this person is fully aware of the road ahead and has chosen....other weaker people might choose the other route and remain/return to being fat....

And this person gets the idea you might be a little delusional due to a lifetime of hunger pangs.....What are you - a cheerleader for hungry people?:bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    When you run a calorie deficit you are actually denying your body what its asking for...during this period of denial it would be completely normal to feel hunger....with this in mind I looked up the word Pang and Hunger Pang....it’s these hunger pangs or feelings that you must overcome, through discipline, in order to lose those unwanted pounds.....so these are the words that define/describe "pang" or "hunger pang" - twinge, ache, throb, prick, stab, a sudden feeling of mental or emotional distress or longing: a pang of remorse; a pang of desire, a sudden, brief, sharp pain or physical sensation; spasm: hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes, A sudden sharp feeling of emotional distress, distress acutely, pain, stab, sting, stitch, ache, wrench, prick, spasm, twinge, throe, gnawing, pains in the abdominal region which occur in the early stages of hunger or fasting and are correlated with contractions of the empty stomach or intestines

All of the above words are negative or bad...food stops the pangs and thus eliminating the negative/bad feelings....these negative/bad feelings must be voluntarily subjected/inflicted towards yourself in order to attain your weight loss goals....to endure these bad feelings and push through them and attain your goals, you all need to toughen up and stop being sissys.....if you’re not feeling these negative feelings/bad feeling you are likely not losing weight and likely not working towards your goals and you are likely a sissy (does not apply to mfpallers that are trying to gain weight)....toughen up and reach your goals sooner

Otherwise prepare for a lifetime of tremendous and continued discipline…
    Agree? Disagree? Why?

I think what you say applies to many people, although it's not quite as bad as all that. If you want to stay trim, you refine your goals and outlook and accept that satisfying every food craving can't be your priority. For people who succeed, feeling strong, good, and healthy is worth it. They try to be around people with similar values.

Unfortunately, you may be criticized as being insufficiently "supportive." Some people don't want the truth, despite what they say.

Yes, this post was not designed to be supportive, it was designed to help people realize and choose what they really want....let them choose between a life of gluttony or a life of denial of food they would normally eat just to be fit and have thoes NSV moments......this post was a warning, this is a life long commitment or else you will be fat again....

Um no, I don't think ppl will have to suffer their whole life or deny themselves. Once you change habit you also change what you call "want". I don't crave certain food I used to eat that contributed to my weight gain and as such I no longer feel I deny myself.

The only time I feel hungry now is when I skip a meal, but most of the time I am perfectly content with my food intake and currently on a calorie deficit.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

You cannot seem to comprehend the fact that there are not only two eating options in life - binge or starve. You don't have to live a life of gluttony to not feel hunger pains. It's a really neat concept that most children intuitively understand. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied and then repeat. I don't know many young children who seem to be suffering the agony of hunger, yet they aren't usually gluttonous, either. While maintaining weight loss may be a life long commitment, it's a commitment to not eating more than your body needs...it's not a commitment to feeling agonizing hunger for half of the rest of your life.

Your posts are sounding very pro-ED.
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options
    You guys ever here of the term, "Hangry", well its real....the snickers candy bar commercials include this concept of hanger when they have joe peschi complaining about glove models....the commercial says, "your not your self when your hungry" this concept absolutly holds water for many people, i see HANGER in many of my fitness pals....this life time of denial will not just effect you internally but it could also effect your relationships with others...
  • DiabolicBooger
    Options

[/quote]

You cannot seem to comprehend the fact that there are not only two eating options in life - binge or starve. You don't have to live a life of gluttony to not feel hunger pains. It's a really neat concept that most children intuitively understand. Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied and then repeat. I don't know many young children who seem to be suffering the agony of hunger, yet they aren't usually gluttonous, either. While maintaining weight loss may be a life long commitment, it's a commitment to not eating more than your body needs...it's not a commitment to feeling agonizing hunger for half of the rest of your life.

Your posts are sounding very pro-ED.
    [/quote]

I never once in this entire post used the words binge or starve....
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I rarely feel hunger pangs. I must be doing it wrong.
  • xSailorVictoriax
    Options
    I agree. I think because I'm not overweight, but still trying to lose some pounds, it makes it a little more difficult because my calorie intake keeps getting lower as I try to bust through these plateaus in my weight loss. I feel like, ever since I've reached a weight that is considered "healthy" according to BMI, I started experiencing the pangs. Before, when I was overweight and changing my eating habits, I never felt them. It was a strange thing.

Good post :flowerforyou:
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options

And this person gets the idea you might be a little delusional due to a lifetime of hunger pangs.....What are you - a cheerleader for hungry people?:bigsmile: :drinker:

Lol..don't get it twisted. This person...ME...believes that it's high time I look at my *kitten* in the mirror, and say "Hey, Fatty..you're outta here!!"

I have tried for years to lose weight..but I couldn't, because I was always feeding my grumbling stomach. My stomach would grumble even 30 minutes after eating. Wtf??!!

I'm losing weight now..because I realize that my stomach is a liar. And I have learned to ignore the grumbling, like I ignore people asking me for money. Once people realize I'm stingey..they stop askin for money. Likewise..once the stomach realize I'm stingey..It'll stop buggin my *kitten* for food.

Ican look at chocolate cake now..and whisper to it "F you, you lyin sacka *kitten*..you've told me for YEARS that one piece couldn't hurt....and NOW look at my *kitten*!!"

So yeah, I giggle a little now when my stomach growls....and say "Suck it up, Biotch..and deal with it!!"

Hey..sometimes you have to just be a meanie. If I wanna lose weight, I have to learn to sacrifice..and deal with a few minutes of growling. Fat is possessive....the only way to break away from it..is to beat the crap out of it.

I'm only mean to fat..other than that, I'm as sweet as pie.