Must READ! from experienced fitness pal...Hunger PANGS

Options

Replies

• DiabolicBooger
    DiabolicBooger Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    You are correct, you never did say binge or starve, but I'm pretty sure calling "hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes" is describing "starving". The same as you saying being gluttonous and eating everything you want whenever you want is not a whole lot different than "bingeing".

Definitions:

starve (stɑːv)

— vb (foll by of or for ) (foll by into )
    1. to die or cause to die from lack of food
    2. to deprive (a person or animal) or (of a person, etc) to be deprived of food
    3. informal ( intr ) to be very hungry

Yes, one may not be dying from lack of food, but the descriptions you gave apply to #s 2 and 3

binge (bɪndʒ)

— n
    1. a bout of excessive eating or drinking
    2. excessive indulgence in anything

— vb , binges , bingeing , binging , binged

gluttony (ˈɡlʌtənɪ)

— n
    the act or practice of eating to excess

I'm pretty sure that both definitions of binge are also the same as living a life of gluttony.

After reading one of your other most recent posts where you described how you lost a lot of weight very quickly, you do seem to be promoting a binge-eating or binge-purge lifestyle. If you truly regularly eat 2000-4000 calories per day and are regularly feeling agonizing hungry, that tells me you are probably bingeing and eating those calories all at one time then purging yourself by exercise or "starving" yourself.

Well, when i defined pang and hunger pang thoes were not my words thoes were the defionitions i found on the first 10 hits google gave me....i dont mean to imply i feel all thoes things half of the time, just some of them...

as far as purge goes, well i dont do that, so i have nothing to say about it

as far as gluttony goes, i will tend to eat something i know i shouldnt eat in excess once a week or less

I'm pretty sure that "I would run up stairs, straight to the fridge and eat those home grown concord grapes...like several cups of grapes...I would then move to the pineapple on the table and consume at least half of it...then I would eat a big can of Swanson canned chicken with black pepper all over it, all while a piece of cod (fish) was being microwaved and if I had any room left in my belly I would have to pick between some cantaloupe or a sandwich with my 25 calorie an ounce turkey but with a triple serving size....all of this would be about 800ish calories" would indicate a binge. So you binge on "healthy" stuff. It's still a binge, and having a binge and then depriving yourself of food until you experience severe enough hunger pains on a regular basis indicates to me that you may need professional help. It's not normal to feel like you have to feel hunger pains even half of your life in order to maintain a healthy weight.

As I said before, most children manage to not live in a binge/starve cycle and maintain their weights. That's because most of us are born with the ability to eat when we're hungry and stop when we're not hungry any longer. We tend to lose this ability as we get older and that's where our weight problems begin. They are made worse by things like emotional eating or binge eating or even just portion distortion. A normal, healthy, human adult who has never had a weight problem or emotional eating problem does not experience hunger pains of any type on a regular basis (let alone half of their life). They get hungry (different from having a *pain*), they eat what they want and they leave what they don't need. I've watched naturally skinny friends eat a small plate of salad and 5 bites of fettucine alfredo and throw the rest out because they weren't hungry any longer. They don't suffer and they enjoy their food.

Just because you cannot seem to strike a balance between gluttony and satisfaction, it doesn't mean that most or even half of the people trying to lose weight will have this problem. I'm sorry for you that you aren't able to improve your relationship with food enough to not have to binge and/or go hungry.

well i am human and i do have short commings just like anyone else, however i hardly call 800 cals a binge...we all know what a binge looks like, we see binges in our friends diarys and they are usually 4 digit binges like 1500 cals or more in one meal...
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Every person on here must continue their discapline and continue what ever works for them or else the fat will return....beware!

Dun dun dunnnnnn! Lol. *discipline
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I do not believe this is true at all. Since March, I have lost 105 pounds and I do not have constant hunger pangs. If I am truly hungry, I eat. I eat a LOT of food, it is just much healthier, lower calorie food than I was eating before. I still get the amount of food that I need to be healthy and full.

I guess you must be doing it wrong too.

Dang it, I thought I was doing so well!!! I will try hard to be more miserable!!!
    It's the only way to have sustainable weight loss. Misery. Forever.

sigh.......

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

^^:laugh: :laugh:
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You are correct, you never did say binge or starve, but I'm pretty sure calling "hunger pangs, torture - anguish - throes" is describing "starving". The same as you saying being gluttonous and eating everything you want whenever you want is not a whole lot different than "bingeing".

Definitions:

starve (stɑːv)

— vb (foll by of or for ) (foll by into )
    1. to die or cause to die from lack of food
    2. to deprive (a person or animal) or (of a person, etc) to be deprived of food
    3. informal ( intr ) to be very hungry

Yes, one may not be dying from lack of food, but the descriptions you gave apply to #s 2 and 3

binge (bɪndʒ)

— n
    1. a bout of excessive eating or drinking
    2. excessive indulgence in anything

— vb , binges , bingeing , binging , binged

gluttony (ˈɡlʌtənɪ)

— n
    the act or practice of eating to excess

I'm pretty sure that both definitions of binge are also the same as living a life of gluttony.

After reading one of your other most recent posts where you described how you lost a lot of weight very quickly, you do seem to be promoting a binge-eating or binge-purge lifestyle. If you truly regularly eat 2000-4000 calories per day and are regularly feeling agonizing hungry, that tells me you are probably bingeing and eating those calories all at one time then purging yourself by exercise or "starving" yourself.

Well, when i defined pang and hunger pang thoes were not my words thoes were the defionitions i found on the first 10 hits google gave me....i dont mean to imply i feel all thoes things half of the time, just some of them...

as far as purge goes, well i dont do that, so i have nothing to say about it

as far as gluttony goes, i will tend to eat something i know i shouldnt eat in excess once a week or less

I'm pretty sure that "I would run up stairs, straight to the fridge and eat those home grown concord grapes...like several cups of grapes...I would then move to the pineapple on the table and consume at least half of it...then I would eat a big can of Swanson canned chicken with black pepper all over it, all while a piece of cod (fish) was being microwaved and if I had any room left in my belly I would have to pick between some cantaloupe or a sandwich with my 25 calorie an ounce turkey but with a triple serving size....all of this would be about 800ish calories" would indicate a binge. So you binge on "healthy" stuff. It's still a binge, and having a binge and then depriving yourself of food until you experience severe enough hunger pains on a regular basis indicates to me that you may need professional help. It's not normal to feel like you have to feel hunger pains even half of your life in order to maintain a healthy weight.

As I said before, most children manage to not live in a binge/starve cycle and maintain their weights. That's because most of us are born with the ability to eat when we're hungry and stop when we're not hungry any longer. We tend to lose this ability as we get older and that's where our weight problems begin. They are made worse by things like emotional eating or binge eating or even just portion distortion. A normal, healthy, human adult who has never had a weight problem or emotional eating problem does not experience hunger pains of any type on a regular basis (let alone half of their life). They get hungry (different from having a *pain*), they eat what they want and they leave what they don't need. I've watched naturally skinny friends eat a small plate of salad and 5 bites of fettucine alfredo and throw the rest out because they weren't hungry any longer. They don't suffer and they enjoy their food.

Just because you cannot seem to strike a balance between gluttony and satisfaction, it doesn't mean that most or even half of the people trying to lose weight will have this problem. I'm sorry for you that you aren't able to improve your relationship with food enough to not have to binge and/or go hungry.

well i am human and i do have short commings just like anyone else, however i hardly call 800 cals a binge...we all know what a binge looks like, we see binges in our friends diarys and they are usually 4 digit binges like 1500 cals or more in one meal...

You can call it whatever you want, but being in that a normal adult does not need more than 4 C of food in their stomach at one time, eating several cups of grapes (3-4 C min) + at least 1/2 a pineapple (1.5 C) + big can of chicken (1 C) + a piece of fish (1 C) + some canteloupe or deli turkey sandwich (1 C) for a minimum of 7-8+ C of food would be a binge by definition being in that it's way in excess of what your body needs. A person can eat a 4 digit meal and not have it be a binge.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    in order to maintain your weight over any length of time you will endure the above bad feelings of hunger pangs for approximately the same amount of time that you don’t experience hunger pangs/bad feelings....now you need to ask yourself if your tough enough and disciplined enough to endure the anguish, the pain, the constant denial, the wrenching of your stomach, the aching, the emotional distress, for approximately HALF of the rest of your life???

i think that makes the issue of "half" more clear
    Also used the words 'you' and 'your' when responding to me.
    Which makes you absolutely wrong. I have managed to go from 225lb to 12% body fat since may (over 60lb lost) with an occasional mild hunger at most. Over all it's been an emotionally uplifting journey that has seen me happier in myself than I have been for a long time - I can stand infront of the bathroom mirror on the morning, tense my muscle and generally pose to myself thinking "yea, man,... nice bod!"... which generally gives me more confidence and happiness in life.
    When I reach my goal I will slowly increase my calories to 1250 OVER my current target and be happier to eat more on occasion.
    With research on places like myfitnesspal I've been able to find a lot of ways that I can eat filling and tasty meals, yet still stick at low calories.

I'm not sure if you're troll or just a massive drama queen; but telling me how my body works and getting it massively wrong doesn't really give confidence in, well, anything you say!

And again, I think I've said - I rather feel sorry for you.
    It's possible that you are just unlucky and very badly affected by food. I'm reminded of a similar drama-queen female friend that always makes a massive thing about her period pains.
    It's also possible that you just have been too lazy to do any research and have made it massively more difficult for yourself than you need to.

Can't see any other logical explanations for why you feel the way you do (ignoring the obvious troll, of course.)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I also disagree regarding 'always feeling hunger pangs'. Actually you don't have to feel hunger pangs to lose weight. You just have to make sure that you eat at regular intervals, and that the food you eat has slow-digesting sugars instead of fast ones, and that there's bulk in your food so it's not empty calories. Try to avoid drinking your cals... and instead have whole grains and lots of veggies. You don't have to live with hunger pangs. Your stomach will adjust in size eventually and your liver, bile duct, pancreas etc will also adjust their secretions... so that your body knows when to release those hormones and enzymes and in what amount... then your leptin and grelin situation will get under control. You *do not* have to live with hunger pangs.

I diasagree...hunger is the discomfort that caused you to over eat and gain weight in the first place....the denial of food must continue or else the natural you will over eat and you will gain the weight back....this is true because you are here and you use this website to control and monitor your denial of food...

People who over eat aren't doing it because of hunger. They're doing it for emotional reasons. If you're eating way past your body's hunger point so you're putting on fat, it's your brain telling you you're hungry not your body.

If you're eating so little food you're having physical hunger pains, not mental ones, then you're doing it wrong.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Ahh....now I want pizza and cake...
  • myway16
    myway16 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Eatallthefood_98cf46_3057908.jpg

Just something to have here instead of bump. In case this thread vanishes off the first page before hitting the post limit or getting locked.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Ahh....now I want pizza and cake...
    Nice reminder. I have a circa 320 calorie pizza in the freezer!
    Add some more cherry tomatos, bit more ham, beef and chicken, with a lettuce based side salad and we're talking a filling pizza meal with a coke (zero) for under 400 calories!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    And to add to the Pizza thing - a couple of friends challenged me to eating a whole 16" pizza to myself.
    Not ideal when on 'a diet'.
    But I reckon I can make it work - I plan to ride to the big climbing wall, climb for a few hours, then ride home - hour and a half each way on the push bike I reckon. If I can keep my food intake in this time fairly low, I should be on track to have the pizza and still be under the daily calorie goal (maybe go for a run and cycle in the evening if needed.)

Last month I wanted to have some nice food for my Birthday - so I did a 7 mile run and 50 miles of cycling. Ate over 5000 calories that day, all of really nice food - burned over 6000 calories so the scales still showed less the morning after.
    A couple of times I did feel 'hungry', not painful, just hungry as you get when you've been cycling for a few hours. I stuffed chocolate and crisps in my face and no longer felt hungry. No mental anguish - in fact the hunger was almost pleasurable because I knew it justified some nice food!
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options
    For everyone screamin that just because someone chooses to ignore hunger "oh, you must have an eating disorder!!"...STFU!!

No one has to shovel food down their throats just because their stomach growls. Most times your stomach growls BECAUSE it's been longer than 10 minutes since you last ate something...IOW, it's so use to you eating at all hours..its become SPOILED...like an unruly child.

Ok, suppose you were runnin errands..and you took your bad *kitten* beggin kid with
    you...to 5 different stores. In every store..your kid pitches a fit because he wants this
    and that....IN EVERY STORE!!! Are you gonna give in to him just to shut him up? If you do..he'll never stop beggin..and he'll always be a bad *kitten* kid.

Same thing applies to a growling stomach...keep feeding it every time it growls...your *kitten* will always be fat..feed it when it's REALLY hungry...and not when it's just being a whiney bit¢h....and you will reach a more attractive weight.

JMO :-)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    For everyone screamin that just because someone chooses to ignore hunger "oh, you must have an eating disorder!!"...STFU!!

No one has to shovel food down their throats just because their stomach growls. Most times your stomach growls BECAUSE it's been longer than 10 minutes since you last ate something...IOW, it's so use to you eating at all hours..its become SPOILED...like an unruly child.

Ok, suppose you were runnin errands..and you took your bad *kitten* beggin kid with
    you...to 5 different stores. In every store..your kid pitches a fit because he wants this
    and that....IN EVERY STORE!!! Are you gonna give in to him just to shut him up? If you do..he'll never stop beggin..and he'll always be a bad *kitten* kid.

Same thing applies to a growling stomach...keep feeding it every time it growls...your *kitten* will always be fat..feed it when it's REALLY hungry...and not when it's just being a whiney bit¢h....and you will reach a more attractive weight.

I want my kid to be a badass.
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options

Ummmm..really?

I don't know too many people who "adore" bad *kitten* kids. Matter of fact, when I see a bad *kitten* kid..actin a fool in the store..all I wanna do is slap the dang parents.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Ummmm..really?

I don't know too many people who "adore" bad *kitten* kids. Matter of fact, when I see a bad *kitten* kid..actin a fool in the store..all I wanna do is slap the dang parents.

Naw....Your kid gets a medal for participation. Everybody wins! Hugs and snuggles!

I want badass kids too.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    fatties gonna fat
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options

Ummmm..really?

Naw....Your kid gets a medal for participation. Everybody wins! Hugs and snuggles!

I want badass kids too.

There's a difference......

Wow, your kid is a ROCKSTAR he's BADASS..totally AWESOME:drinker:

Then there's...

Damn..her kid is BAD AS HELL...She needs to come pick his *kitten* up!!!:grumble:
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Agree! Mindless grazing, stress eating, and reacting to every hunger pang like we are in danger of starving are the things we have to overcome and avoid the rest of our lives if we want to keep our weight at a healthy stable level.

Couldn't say it better than you!
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I would tend to think there is a difference between bad *kitten* kids and bad kids... just sayin

I am raising two very polite and well behaved bad *kitten* kiddos thank you very much.
  • msflib
    Options
    My problem is that I eat when I don't feel hungry.

Feeling hungry is natural. If you eat well and at the right times of the day then you will feel hungry when your body needs nutrition. In the western world I doubt we know what real 'hunger' is!

Cravings or 'hunger' for chocolate, cakes etc...well that's not about feeling hungry!!!