Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Ive had them in the past. Cant remember the last time I had one. But they are yummy ! :laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Poorly Run Company + Corrupt Union = 18,000 without a job now

I am sorry, but you cant blame the union. The workers and the union kept taking pay cuts while the CEO and other execs gave themselves 300% raises a couple of months before they filed for bankruptcy.

Blame this on the Corporate officers of the company, not the union or the workers - they had already made enough sacrifices.

This is Corporate GREED.

Actually you can blame the union. How many people would kill for a job right now, while the union went on strike for better pay and benefits.

The majority of industries/sectors that are heavily unionized aren't doing so hot; auto manufacturing, public education, public services etc etc
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I've also never eaten a Twinkie before...the only Hostess product I think I've ever eaten is Wonderbread at the baby sitter's when I was a kid. And that stuff doesn't really taste like bread at all, so I'm not all that upset!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It won't help me. I can't tell you the last time I ate one of their products. Though I do just love those little chocolate cream-filled cupcakes.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have eaten Twinkies before, but it's been such a long time for me I can't remember how they taste like. Of course, nowadays they're not even on my radar. :laugh:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I am sorry, but you cant blame the union. The workers and the union kept taking pay cuts while the CEO and other execs gave themselves 300% raises a couple of months before they filed for bankruptcy.

Blame this on the Corporate officers of the company, not the union or the workers - they had already made enough sacrifices.

This is Corporate GREED.

Interesting on the 300% raises. Would the company have not needed to make the pay cuts had they those handful of execs not have taken that 300% raise? Was that extra 200% in salaries more than enough to cover off the shortfalls for 18000 workers?

Don't get me wrong. 300% raises when the company is struggling is almost criminal. But let's not forget that the union has directly contributed to this outcome as well.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I have literally never seen a Twinkie in my life! Heard them mentioned on TV and I always wanted to see what the fuss was about... Glad I didn't bother though in hindsight! It's just another mini-cake thingy isn't it...
  • samlankford
    Options
    I have NEVER had a twinkie :noway: for some reason they just looked gross to me, lol kinda "not right" looking
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Meh, who cares about Twinkies . . . I'm a Ding Dong girl
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Are some of you honestly angry that junk food like Twinkies are available for us? Really? Would you prefer that our government only allows "approved" foods for us to eat? It seems that you have NO concept of freedom. Apparently you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions.

I feel bad that we have evolved into such a brainless society that feels we can only survive if we're told what to do.

For me? I'll chose freedom any day.

I'm off to eat some chocolate pudding for breakfast...because I can. Then I'll lose the weight tomorrow...because I can.

It has nothing to do with someone being strong enough to make their own decisions.

If you want to poison your body with fake food that the human body doesn't even recognize - then go ahead and do it.

And we are NOT free in this country.

If we were then the FDA and USDA that are in bed with companies such as Cargill and Monsanto wouldn't say it is illegal for people to purchase and use RAW milk straight from farmers.

It wouldn't be illegal for people to grow gardens in their front yards on their own property.

The Good ole US of A is NOT A FREE COUNTRY.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force. It was like a million voices crying out
    in unison, then suddenly silenced.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Marla64
    Options

This is Corporate GREED.

eye roll.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

This is Corporate GREED.

Actually you can blame the union. How many people would kill for a job right now, while the union went on strike for better pay and benefits.

The majority of industries/sectors that are heavily unionized aren't doing so hot; auto manufacturing, public education, public services etc etc

Umm no. They were asking that pay and benefits stay the SAME and not take another pay cut while the EXECS gave themselves a 300% pay increase.

You can't blame the union workers. They were being asked to give up their pensions, benefits and work for barely more than minimum wage.

You can't keep taking from the people that are doing the actual work while giving yourself a raise.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Corrupt Union is pretty much a redundancy anymore unfortunately.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

This is Corporate GREED.

eye roll.

Roll your eyes until they fall out of your head.

That is the truth. I have been sitting here listening to the news talk to workers and what the Corporate Greedy officers were doing is wrong.

From the wall street journal...........

Creditors of Hostess Brands Inc. said in court papers the company may have "manipulated" its executives' salaries higher in the months leading up to its Chapter 11 filing, in what the creditors called a possible effort by Hostess to "sidestep" Bankruptcy Code compensation provisions.

The committee representing Hostess's unsecured creditors alleges that information it has gathered suggests "the possibility" that the company converted a chunk of its top executives' pay from performance-based bonuses to salary, "at least in part to sidestep" rules designed to ensure that companies in bankruptcy aren't enticing their employees to stay on board with the promise of cash, according to documents filed with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in White Plains, N.Y.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304072004577323993512506050.html
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Well, I won't "miss" them per say. But I'm not gonna sit here and act like I don't my bit of junk food here and there.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    oh darn. :laugh:

I don't eat twinkies, never have.

Now zingers...... I use to love those and the cupcakes, and the ding dongs.

I love me some ding dongs. :tongue:

ok, sorry...ehm. bad joke.

thx for sharing! Now if they ever close honeybun, my hubs will cry.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
  • Marla64
    Options

Corrupt Union is pretty much a redundancy anymore unfortunately.

^^this.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

They should have outed the CEO and other Corporate officers.

This is reason enough to never buy hostess again.....sick of corporate greed!
    [/quote]