Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Are some of you honestly angry that junk food like Twinkies are available for us? Really? Would you prefer that our government only allows "approved" foods for us to eat? It seems that you have NO concept of freedom. Apparently you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions.

I feel bad that we have evolved into such a brainless society that feels we can only survive if we're told what to do.

For me? I'll chose freedom any day.

I'm off to eat some chocolate pudding for breakfast...because I can. Then I'll lose the weight tomorrow...because I can.

It has nothing to do with someone being strong enough to make their own decisions.

If you want to poison your body with fake food that the human body doesn't even recognize - then go ahead and do it.

And we are NOT free in this country.

If we were then the FDA and USDA that are in bed with companies such as Cargill and Monsanto wouldn't say it is illegal for people to purchase and use RAW milk straight from farmers.

It wouldn't be illegal for people to grow gardens in their front yards on their own property.

The Good ole US of A is NOT A FREE COUNTRY.
    Ugh, just another conspiracy nut...

Go ahead, show me the scientific evidence you have that the human digestive system can't "recognize" or process a Twinkie. I'll wait, don't worry. I know, there really is no evidence because it's a ridiculous claim that only makes sense when you're trying to scare people into thinking you're right, because the facts disagree.

Also, it is only illegal to sell raw milk across state lines. Raw milk purchased from local farms is generally legal, unless your specific state has a law against it. Of course, why you'd want to buy raw milk that has to travel from another state is beyond me, especially when you're into the whole paleo thing, doesn't that push buying local?

I have a garden in my yard, as do several of my neighbors. We haven't been arrested yet. Perfectly legal.

Any other wildly false things you want to make up to try and spread your fear mongering?

If it's only about interstate commerce, then why did the FDA raid an Amish farm and CA co-ops that never sold anything across state lines? The federal government no longer abides by the constitution. They have stretched the interstate commerce clause through Supreme Court decisions (such as Ashcroft V. Raich) such that commerce that doesn't even happen (that is, people who don't sell anything) are now being raided.

And as far as the front yard garden, do a Google news search. It has been happening in cities all over the country. That one is happening at the local level, so most of us have not been affected, but plenty of people have been. They tried to pull that crap in Kansas City, but hundreds of people found out in advance of the city council meeting and flooded the meeting in protest. The only way to keep our rights is to take a stand! (In one city, they even banned basketball goals and went in and stole the basketball goals that have been there for many years.)

Pay attention to your local government. It is quicker to destroy your rights than any other level of government!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The government should have banned Twinkies years ago

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

Yes, we are going completely off topic. :tongue:

I agree, the idea of fresh milk scares me. I like eating healthier, but I like a happy medium. I do not really care if the milk is pasteurized or has hormones. I realize they say it can cause cancer. Everything these days does. I want to feel better inside, and be happy. Milk has not hurt me yet. When it does, then I'll stop. Until then, I love milk. And cows actually. Love me some steak.

Also, I do not believe in "banning" everything. Let ppl do what makes them happy, if its unhealthy, its their life. Why start with food banning if you were going to attack unhealthy things? Why not start with smokes (norm and green), drugs, pharmaceuticals, alcohols, sex, tv, video games, cell phones, cars, and even dirty dollar bills. So much we could attack.

Ever seen Demolition man (movie)?

"I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener""

Dennis Leary win. :heart:
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    That strike really backfired! Now you all don't have jobs! Unions = fail.

Corporate Greed = FAIL. Not unions. We are supposed to have that right to form unions in this country.

Yet another right that is going away.

The right obviously still exists...along with the right to commit economic suicide, as demonstrated.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am saddened that hard working people will lose jobs, but I don't eat that stuff anyway, so I wont miss it. Wait... do they make ding dongs? <GASP> Maybe I will..

Here in St Louis they arent working anyway................They are on strike and picketing. This is the reason why they might be going away.

Hostess execs have asked the bankruptcy court to close the company down due to the strike.

The employees were to take an 8% paycut and a 30% reduction in benefits. Why would they agree to that? Even in this economy they can get better jobs. This is after they tried to work with Hostess when they went thru bankruptsy before. I have never liked Twinkees or Wonderbread so it is no great loss to me.

An 8% paycut is better than an unemployment check. And a 30% reduction in benefits is better than no benefits at all.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Won't break my heart. I've never even eaten a Twinkie before.

Wha-what-what?! Get your butt to the store and have one! Make it a part of your cheat day. You will not be sorry.

They aren't the same as they were say 10-15 yrs ago. They're actually kind of gross now, but no more Ding Dongs or Suzie Q's....my life just got darker.....hahaha. They were one of my favorite now and then treats, love the creamy filling. They may be bad for us but Hostess is an American icon and it is very sad to see them go(if it does in fact happen).
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Exactly. At least 1 other person understands what Corporate GREED is.

You seem to believe that corporate greed somehow nullifies union greed.

Here's a clue: both can be at fault at the same time.

You can honestly say you believe the union was being greedy to want to MAINTAIN the same pay and benefits for the workers? They weren't asking for more, they wanted it to stay the same.

Yes, I can. If the money isn't there to maintain, it isn't there. You can't squeeze blood from a stone. They tried, and now they don't have jobs at all. And took down many other people with them, including all the workers in the other union which did accept the concessions, and of course all the non-unionised workers.
    All the while I CEO and his cronies gave themselves 300% raise.

Again: the one does not preclude the other. I won't argue with you about whether those execs were deserving or not.

You might be enraged that those execs did that, but that does not justify the union's actions or the greed which drove it.
    Put the shoe of the factory worker on your own foot and see how you would feel.

And I'm not a factory worker because I invested my youth in higher education so that I wouldn't have to be at the mercy of a minimum wage job skill level. Even if I lose my job and have to take a lesser paying job, I'll still be doing great. I worked hard for this advantage.

I don't know about where you live, but here in Canada, in a shop which has a union, they force new employees, by law, to join the union. Talk about a curtailing of freedom!

If you can call what the union was asking for greedy, then what the Corporate Officers did was criminal.

I am not a factory worker either and make way more than enough that my husband doesn't technically have to work if he doesnt want to.

I can still put the shoe on the foot of someone that does work in those factories and see where they are coming from. They are seeing the Corporate officers of the company they work for give THEMSELVES huge raises while asking the people that do the actual work to take less.

That is unconscionable.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Thank the gods for Vachon.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    good riddance

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!

I live on milk. They ban cows, I'll black market it. lol. I have never broken a bone and had very few cavities, and I'm clumsy, crazy, and eat lots of chocolate. I like to think its the milk. I think it does my body good. No matter what ppl want me to think.

The cow isn't to blame...is the crap hormones the food industry/government forces farmers to put in them to make them meatier so they can make more money. Fresh real milk, which no one has unless they're getting it from the utter themselves, is the only good milk.

You know, I've thought about trying raw milk, because it is readily available where I'm at (I'm extremely blessed to have access to a lot of farm fresh food), but I'm not so sure. I've heard horror stories about ... udder puss. :sick: I just can't get myself to give up pasteurization. I'm normally a big fan of natural and unadulterated.

I agree, the idea of fresh milk scares me. I like eating healthier, but I like a happy medium. I do not really care if the milk is pasteurized or has hormones. I realize they say it can cause cancer. Everything these days does. I want to feel better inside, and be happy. Milk has not hurt me yet. When it does, then I'll stop. Until then, I love milk. And cows actually. Love me some steak.

Also, I do not believe in "banning" everything. Let ppl do what makes them happy, if its unhealthy, its their life. Why start with food banning if you were going to attack unhealthy things? Why not start with smokes (norm and green), drugs, pharmaceuticals, alcohols, sex, tv, video games, cell phones, cars, and even dirty dollar bills. So much we could attack.

"I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener""

gotta love that crazy f n coc head.
    bucket of fun he is.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    I say good. Let all the companies that use GMO grains and HFCS go under. We dont need to consume junk like this anyway.
    Yes at the expense of 187000 jobs

The union did it to their members...

If companies would stop hiring union employees this crap would stop happening
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Little Debbie Rules!!!! :)
  • rbaubonis
    Options
    I totally agree... Tastykake butterskotch Krimpets are a necessary food group! Way to go Philadelphia... must continue to look out for our brotherly love food-groups... soft pretzels, cheese steaks, cream cheese, and Tastykakes!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

It would be helpful if they could ban the sun--it causes skin cancer!

Yes, why hasn't the government banned cancer yet? Everyone knows that making something illegal makes it disappear. :laugh:

Exactly! Look at all the success we've had with the War on Drugs!

And the war on poverty! There aren't any more poor people, dontcha know?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I am saddened that hard working people will lose jobs, but I don't eat that stuff anyway, so I wont miss it. Wait... do they make ding dongs? <GASP> Maybe I will..

Here in St Louis they arent working anyway................They are on strike and picketing. This is the reason why they might be going away.

Hostess execs have asked the bankruptcy court to close the company down due to the strike.

The employees were to take an 8% paycut and a 30% reduction in benefits. Why would they agree to that? Even in this economy they can get better jobs. This is after they tried to work with Hostess when they went thru bankruptsy before. I have never liked Twinkees or Wonderbread so it is no great loss to me.

An 8% paycut is better than an unemployment check. And a 30% reduction in benefits is better than no benefits at all.

All the while the Corporate officers didn't have to make any cuts for themselves and instead voted to give themselves MORE.

Who is the greedy one here?
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If you can call what the union was asking for greedy, then what the Corporate Officers did was criminal.

I can still put the shoe on the foot of someone that does work in those factories and see where they are coming from. They are seeing the Corporate officers of the company they work for give THEMSELVES huge raises while asking the people that do the actual work to take less.

You are incapable of differentiating between two possibly concurrent failures, aren't you? You simply cannot fathom that the execs could have done something stupid AND the union did something stupid. The execs gave themselves a raise, so then everything that follows is solely their fault, right?
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    good riddance

bucket of fun he is.

Bucket of fun is an awesome way to describe him. I love his standup. He makes me hurt myself, esp when he talks about his kids. I don't even have kids and it just kills me. :laugh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I say good. Let all the companies that use GMO grains and HFCS go under. We dont need to consume junk like this anyway.
    Yes at the expense of 187000 jobs

The union did it to their members...

If companies would stop hiring union employees this crap would stop happening

The root cause of this whole fiasco is mis-management at the Corporate level. Not the union. Even though Hostess isn't something I consume, I will not blame the union here at all.

This is Corporate GREED

I feel for the workers, but we don't need the junk food around.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

It would be helpful if they could ban the sun--it causes skin cancer!

Yes, why hasn't the government banned cancer yet? Everyone knows that making something illegal makes it disappear. :laugh:

Exactly! Look at all the success we've had with the War on Drugs!

And the war on poverty! There aren't any more poor people, dontcha know?

Don't forget the war on terrorism!
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No, no. You don't ban farting, you force people to wear *kitten* filters. Use your head!
    [/quote]

*SS Masks.....:bigsmile:
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    good riddance

bucket of fun he is.

Bucket of fun is an awesome way to describe him. I love his standup. He makes me hurt myself, esp when he talks about his kids. I don't even have kids and it just kills me. :laugh:

I know! I could pee! :laugh:

Dude, just listening to him talk gives me energy. Who needs coffee, I'll just have a cup of him.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

You are incapable of differentiating between two possibly concurrent failures, aren't you? You simply cannot fathom that the execs could have done something stupid AND the union did something stupid. The execs gave themselves a raise, so then everything that follows is solely their fault, right?

Yes. Anytime a Corporate officer puts himself before all of his other employees - he / she is a sorry sack of *kitten*.

Karma is a b*tch and she will come back to bite them in the *kitten*.

If they knew they might have to file bankruptcy..............there should have never been a raise given to themselves. They are nothing but a bunch of GREEDY B@st@rds