Hostess Brands closing....no more Twinkies!

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Poorly Run Company + Corrupt Union = 18,000 without a job now

I am sorry, but you cant blame the union. The workers and the union kept taking pay cuts while the CEO and other execs gave themselves 300% raises a couple of months before they filed for bankruptcy.

Blame this on the Corporate officers of the company, not the union or the workers - they had already made enough sacrifices.

This is Corporate GREED.

Actually you can blame the union. How many people would kill for a job right now, while the union went on strike for better pay and benefits.

The majority of industries/sectors that are heavily unionized aren't doing so hot; auto manufacturing, public education, public services etc etc

Umm no. They were asking that pay and benefits stay the SAME and not take another pay cut while the EXECS gave themselves a 300% pay increase.

You can't blame the union workers. They were being asked to give up their pensions, benefits and work for barely more than minimum wage.

You can't keep taking from the people that are doing the actual work while giving yourself a raise.

Defined benefit plans are doing in many a company and need to go away ASAP. The workers lost their jobs because they refused to go back to work. They obviously aren't very good at math, $0 and no job < pay + benefits and having a job
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Are some of you honestly angry that junk food like Twinkies are available for us? Really? Would you prefer that our government only allows "approved" foods for us to eat? It seems that you have NO concept of freedom. Apparently you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions.

I feel bad that we have evolved into such a brainless society that feels we can only survive if we're told what to do.

For me? I'll chose freedom any day.

I'm off to eat some chocolate pudding for breakfast...because I can. Then I'll lose the weight tomorrow...because I can.

It has nothing to do with someone being strong enough to make their own decisions.

If you want to poison your body with fake food that the human body doesn't even recognize - then go ahead and do it.

And we are NOT free in this country.

If we were then the FDA and USDA that are in bed with companies such as Cargill and Monsanto wouldn't say it is illegal for people to purchase and use RAW milk straight from farmers.

It wouldn't be illegal for people to grow gardens in their front yards on their own property.

The Good ole US of A is NOT A FREE COUNTRY.

I agree Paleo. This country is far from "free". We are basically teens who parents say no to everything and tell us that we'd better be happy that we get to go to school and aren't home schooled:ohwell: .
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Meh, Twinkies are gross. Not a huge loss for me. As long as Little Debbie Swiss Rolls never go off the market, I'll be okay. :tongue:
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart: :sad: :brokenheart: :sad: :cry: The raspberry ZIngers will be no more?! :sad: :brokenheart: :sad:

:sad: :brokenheart: :sad: :brokenheart: :sad: :brokenheart:
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I used to love Twinkies as a child, haven't had one in years. I'll buy a few individual packs to relive my fond memories. I used to like the Hostess cupcakes too. I wonder if they go well with vodka??? :drinker:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Somebody will make them for me, won't they????
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    I think Twinkies are gross! I'd rather have a piece of cheesecake :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I am sorry, but you cant blame the union. The workers and the union kept taking pay cuts while the CEO and other execs gave themselves 300% raises a couple of months before they filed for bankruptcy.

Blame this on the Corporate officers of the company, not the union or the workers - they had already made enough sacrifices.

This is Corporate GREED.

Actually you can blame the union. How many people would kill for a job right now, while the union went on strike for better pay and benefits.

The majority of industries/sectors that are heavily unionized aren't doing so hot; auto manufacturing, public education, public services etc etc

Umm no. They were asking that pay and benefits stay the SAME and not take another pay cut while the EXECS gave themselves a 300% pay increase.

You can't blame the union workers. They were being asked to give up their pensions, benefits and work for barely more than minimum wage.

You can't keep taking from the people that are doing the actual work while giving yourself a raise.

Defined benefit plans are doing in many a company and need to go away ASAP. The workers lost their jobs because they refused to go back to work. They obviously aren't very good at math, $0 and no job < pay + benefits and having a job

I don't blame them. I was raised (as many in the Midwest) to stand up for what you believe and don't back down.

You never compromise your integrity and dignity for someone else. If they believe in what they were fighting for, then YES fight for it.

So you are saying we need to be working with no beneffit plans??? I will stop working and go off the grid if companies go to this. I will NEVER work for anyone and not have decent compensation and benefits if they want me to work for their company.

Why don't you put the blame where it lies? I suppose you are all for the CEO and other Execs giving themselves 300% pay increases and then file bankruptcy????

Wow, some people are just like these thiefs if they are thinking that this is ok.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    good riddance

The government should have banned Twinkies years ago
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

They should have outed the CEO and other Corporate officers.

This is reason enough to never buy hostess again.....sick of corporate greed!

Agreed....it is outrageous that these corporations who provide a product that we buy actually expect to see a profit.

:noway:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    good riddance

Said the man who has "We, the People" in his signature line.....

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Are some of you honestly angry that junk food like Twinkies are available for us? Really? Would you prefer that our government only allows "approved" foods for us to eat? It seems that you have NO concept of freedom. Apparently you aren't strong enough to make your own decisions.

I feel bad that we have evolved into such a brainless society that feels we can only survive if we're told what to do.

For me? I'll chose freedom any day.

I'm off to eat some chocolate pudding for breakfast...because I can. Then I'll lose the weight tomorrow...because I can.

It has nothing to do with someone being strong enough to make their own decisions.

If you want to poison your body with fake food that the human body doesn't even recognize - then go ahead and do it.

And we are NOT free in this country.

If we were then the FDA and USDA that are in bed with companies such as Cargill and Monsanto wouldn't say it is illegal for people to purchase and use RAW milk straight from farmers.

It wouldn't be illegal for people to grow gardens in their front yards on their own property.

The Good ole US of A is NOT A FREE COUNTRY.

I agree Paleo. This country is far from "free". We are basically teens who parents say no to everything and tell us that we'd better be happy that we get to go to school and aren't home schooled:ohwell: .

So true.

It is laughable that the healthiest stuff is everything that they ban and make illegal to push their crap onto the rest of us.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Let us bow our heads for a moment of silence. I must admit back in the day before this new me , I had a food affair with Twinkies.. We have grown apart but, I still have memories.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Surely another company will pick up the brands and produce them if there is enough demand.

And the idea that a strike could force a company into liquidation is laughable. The underlying business structure must have been weak.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    good riddance

Actually, it should ban the cows they get the cream for the Twinkies from! Milk is bad for you!!!!!!!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I havent heard of anything like that going on here in St Louis and my husband passes by the Hostess plant several times a day.

He said people are picketing and the news hasnt reported any type of vandalism or anything. From what I understand NO ONE here in St Louis is crossing the picket line though. They are steadfast about the Corporate people that gave themselves HUGE raises all the while asking the workers to lose their pension and take a larger pay cut and other benefit cuts.

Agreed....it is outrageous that these corporations who provide a product that we buy actually expect to see a profit.

That is such an ignorant comment. If they wanted to see a profit, then they shouldn't have given themselves 300% raises while they sit in their fancy offices and such.

I can't believe how many people agree with the scum of the earth Execs and the slime ball of a CEO.
  • Ta2dchic20
    Ta2dchic20 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Whaaa??? now the state fair won't be able to offer deep fried Twinkies. Whatever will they do?!?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    There is probably so much crap and preservatives in the Twinkies, the remaining stock will last for about another 50 years with out going bad!!!

:laugh:
  • Acg67
    Options

This is Corporate GREED.

I don't blame them. I was raised (as many in the Midwest) to stand up for what you believe and don't back down.

You never compromise your integrity and dignity for someone else. If they believe in what they were fighting for, then YES fight for it.

So you are saying we need to be working with no beneffit plans??? I will stop working and go off the grid if companies go to this. I will NEVER work for anyone and not have decent compensation and benefits if they want me to work for their company.

Why don't you put the blame where it lies? I suppose you are all for the CEO and other Execs giving themselves 300% pay increases and then file bankruptcy????

Wow, some people are just like these thiefs if they are thinking that this is ok.

Who is going to be the thief, the greedy SOBs that lost their job because they wouldn't go back to work and now will be stealing taxpayer dollars for UE checks when it's their own damn fault they lost their jobs

And I don't have a defined benefit plan, I have a defined contribution plan and they weren't eliminating their benefits but reducing them and making them pay a bit more
  • Acg67
    Options

That is such an ignorant comment. If they wanted to see a profit, then they shouldn't have given themselves 300% raises while they sit in their fancy offices and such.

I can't believe how many people agree with the scum of the earth Execs and the slime ball of a CEO.

You mean scummy unions destroying everything they touch